• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Coding & Building Community with PlayStation Network: Presentation slides

onQ123

http://onq-world.blogspot.com/2011/08/playstation-vita-coding-building.html

I found the PDF late lastnight when I was searching the internet they are from a Develop in Brighton keynote that happen July 19 -21 2011 lots of new info on Vita in the PDF files

you can download the PDF from my blog since I found this I feel I have the right to link to my blog this time lol but I'm going to rip the slides from the PDF & upload the pictures in this post but I think it's going to take some time because my internet connection is slow right now,

or someone with a good connection & know how to rip the images can upload them & just post them

mclaren777

Thanks for finding/posting this!

Edit: If the media player only has start/stop/rewind I'm going to be rather pissed!

onQ123

OneMoreQuestion said:
You have a very...diverse range of topics in your blog.

Nice find, BTW.

lol I was just thinking about that today , no direction at all lol I'm not really a blogger it's just something I was trying out & I just post random stuff,

jiggle

gofreak said:
Nice find. The other presentation it links to is also interesting.

http://research.scee.net/files/presentations/develop2011/BuildingCommunitywithPlayStationNetwork.pdf

Has a slide that describes the OS, and the flow between different sections.

w4k1I.png

Close-ups of the sections:

Gwerg.png

gEevZ.png

Svr8C.png

1KyoO.png

Clearly these specific pics are mocks, but I didn't know about the 'index' part, and it's maybe encouraging (again) about being able to flick pretty easily between gameplay and other things on the system - if the vision here materialises.

pix from the other thread

Unlike our previous hardware, PS Vita was not created in isolation by our hardware engineers in Japan...
Huge amounts of input from our 1st party as well as 3rd party studios (inc T&M partners) from a very early stage...
In a very real sense it has been created by developers for developers

Good to hear

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Ooh I like Index mode. Hope that can be a perma-thing as I vastly prefer it to the bubbles.

I really, really like that look. I just hope that Sony allows you to customize the Live Area "bubbles." Otherwise, the overall design is very clean and looks very simple to use. Also, that music player is gorgeous! I really hope that is how it will look when it releases.

I am really happy with the way that Sony approached the Vita, being designed with developers both first and third providing input. Hopefully it can pay off!

patsu

pixelbox said:
So...what's the difference between live area and index?

I think LiveArea is game specific. They group all the info, community content (e.g., activities), game launch of one title into a few screens. I remember seeing avatars popping up from the bottom of the screen in one of the videos. It's cute ! Kinda hope that it's party integration into LiveArea but I am totally not sure.

Index looks like just a categorized list of titles on Vita.

patsu

MikeE21286 said:
UI looks somehwere between decent and good --- 7.6

I see some rough elements but it looks easy to use. I think it's too cluttered though. The art muddled the concept. IMHO, they should get another art team to refine the look.

onQ123

KAL2006 said:
why not just add them to the OP

I was looking through the pictures as I was uploading them & thought it would be too big of a post to put in the OP so I just started posting some of the pictures as I was going.

MikeE21286 said:
Wish I knew what that meant....hopefully good things :p

What I got from it is that the rendering while using tiles is ordered and neat which means it is more efficient. Obviously not an expert here :)

Massa

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
PSVitaCodingKeynote%25287%2529.jpg

That slide makes it sound like bandwidth consumption for rendering is limited to an initial copy in of data and then a final copy-out of the framebuffer tile - surely it's not that simple/efficient? Nice if it is.

snoopeasystreet said:
gEevZ.png

Is that really the UI? Yuck. Are they expecting us to hold the thing vertically?

I was hoping they'd go with XMB. Love that GUI.

Index mode seems to be more of a "tabbing out" feature. Like when you hit "Alt-Tab" on Windows.. holding it down shows a list of all open programs for easy navigation. Live Area on the other hand is what seems to be equivalent to a desktop.

What could you do slide

Is that similar or exactly like the Wii U controller

Drive the display from a PS3 game? what does drive mean in this case?

onQ123

AranhaHunter said:
What does this mean?

it's telling the Devs that they should think of new ways that they can use the Vita & PS3 together when they are making new games or something like that

gofreak said:

That slide makes it sound like bandwidth consumption for rendering is limited to an initial copy in of data and then a final copy-out of the framebuffer tile - surely it's not that simple/efficient? Nice if it is.
Kinda vague and I can't really make it out but seems to be the case.

mclaren777 said:

Edit: If the media player only has start/stop/rewind I'm going to be rather pissed!
I don't think so. The coding keynote document only states that Sony provides very simple APIs, an example being this video player function that accepts very basic arguments such as start/stop/rewind. Further away, they state that APIs with more controls are also available for code warriors.

I don't think it means anything for the embedded media player application.

onQ123

gofreak said:

I think someone like Lazy8's could explain this

onQ123 said:
it's telling the Devs that they should think of new ways that they can use the Vita & PS3 together when they are making new games or something like that

I think it's talking about PSV features on existing PS3 games. Maybe patch current games for cross platform compatibility or to be playable on both PS3 and PSV?

lord pie

gofreak said:
[IMGAGE]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-85tW_aWwe4M/Tk0l2Ah2OvI/AAAAAAAAADE/OxgigdLlVrQ/s640/PSVitaCodingKeynote%25287%2529.jpg[/IMGAGE]

Think if it as being similar to how EDRAM on the 360 works, with similar advantages - but with much smaller tiles (eg, 64x64). The GPU has some embedded ram that is ultra fast, which it uses as a render target for a small tile at a time. When complete, the tile is copied back to main memory / VRAM.
The advantage is that memory writes are done in large blocks and the majority of memory access are reads for textures, geometry etc. The EDRAM is obviously a lot faster, and more power efficient being on-chip.

AFAIK there is no 'initial copy' - the EDRAM is completely filled for each tile and it's previous contents are discarded.

All PVR gpus work this way, and the majority of smartphones have these gpus.

sechsterangriff said:
It would be great if they pulled an Apple and basically allowed anyone with a device to become a registered developer.
Can't you do that with the Playstation Suite SDK? When it's available of course.

androvsky

mclaren777 said:

That's only for the video player libraries for developers to use in games and apps. They don't always get even that much (possibly why we can't always pause cutscenes), but it does say they still have the usual low-level access.

Halfmunch said:
Party stuff sounds really cool, tech looking pretty good for Vita.
Yeah the Party app sounds cool but it's unfortunate that it's limited to only 4 players per group.
Hopefully Sony can expand the player limit in the future.

Top Bottom