• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita "hacked," (PSP) homebrew on the way (not piracy)

thuway

Well as of this moment there is no custom firmware scene. I don't know if there ever will be seeing as how developers for popular emulators like Snes9x aren't bothered enough to get their things running full speed.

I really just want the ability to play emulation similar to how the PSP was but without the limitations that came with that hardware.

As far as Sony is concerned, the Vita is legacy hardware, so at this point I doubt there is too much incentive to aggressively block these efforts.

fatty

It's been a while since my Vita has seen some use. I've upgraded to 3.60; I'm guessing the only way to download and store all of my PSP and Vita games is to still use the PS3 by itself or by the Vita directly and then use the Content Manager Assistant to transfer them to PC?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well as of this moment there is no custom firmware scene. I don't know if there ever will be seeing as how developers for popular emulators like Snes9x aren't bothered enough to get their things running full speed.

I'm sure we'll see a boom in homebrew development now that the Vita has been cracked wide open for everyone, just like it happened with the 3DS a few months ago. Rejuvenate was a massive pain in the ass to use, so it's completely logical that the scene was dead in the gutter for so long.

T-Rex.

Banned
Will this let us play games that haven't been translated into English with fan translations or something? Sounds pretty cool but I'm not really clued up on this kind of stuff.

Chesskid1

Banned
the last time i was part of the vita scene, most of the homebrew was just homebrew released for PSP that works on the vita.

has it changed much since then?

Will this let us play games that haven't been translated into English with fan translations or something? Sounds pretty cool but I'm not really clued up on this kind of stuff.

depends which system you want. PSP most likely yes but not during launch.

Joey Ravn

Banned

Vita games? Not yet. PSP games? Not yet (but probably sooner than later).

the last time i was part of the vita scene, most of the homebrew was just homebrew released for PSP that works on the vita.

has it changed much since then?

Not really, but expect a few hectic weeks starting today.

Bittercup

It's been a while since my Vita has seen some use. I've upgraded to 3.60; I'm guessing the only way to download and store all of my PSP and Vita games is to still use the PS3 by itself or by the Vita directly and then use the Content Manager Assistant to transfer them to PC?
Yes those are the only options.

Chesskid1

Banned
I just want emulators and PS One classics. The Vita will then transcend for me.

i just want perfect GBA/SNES emulators, which i think is very likely. PSP and PSX for games like phantasy star and spyro.

I would like Nintendo DS and Dreamcast, but i think this is more of a pipe dream. I have a DS but i think an emulator would cleanup the graphics a bit. A really nice video player that can stream video from the PC would be great too.

t1469782800z1.png

duckroll

I can't wait for the day I can load all the PS1 Classics and PSP games I have all into the Vita without dealing with the account limitations and the unavailability of digital versions.

Been waiting for this for ages. Looks like I'm getting me a spare Vita! To CL I go.

I too want to play patched War of the Lions. I like emulators too. :)

whitehawk

Banned
Since I recently swapped accounts, being able to transfer my save data from one to the other would totally make my day -- but that has been a pipe dream so far.

Because this thread suffices?
The thread title is completely contradictory to the new news.

Jazzem

Oh wow! Very curious to see how this plays out.

Odd timing as I recently managed to get a nasty scratch on my Vita's screen :( I knew I should have put a screen protector on it...

Tsunamo

Very excited to see what comes out of all of this. It's felt like so long since we've waited for a native Vita hack and now it's finally happening, now we can finally see what the Vita homebrew scene will cookup.
So what are the chances that someone will port over a Dreamcast or PS2 emulator to the Vita now? Is the Vita even powerful enough to do PS2 emulation?
No chance for a PS2 emulator, but Dreamcast is possible (and I really hope it happens, after Jet Set Radio I was so pumped for more dreamcast ports but we never got them)

Guymelef

I kinda agree with the sentiment that this thread doesn't reflect the new news. We should either edit the OP and the title to include this new development or create a new thread with updated info.

I'm at work right now, but if you want, I can create a placeholder thread before release and updated as things developer in the afternoon.

Beat you to the video ;)

Right, :|

Skyzard

Banned
20 mins :/

Shame there isn't SNES emulation yet to test out now.

Will be diving right in to test some Sonic and then crashing.

killatopak

Gold Member
Anybody have a 3.60 update PUP in a file sharing site? I don't know why but download from sony site or directly from the vita takes 9 hours wtf.

t26

My old Vita is at 1.8, should I made the upgrade to 3.6? There is already a lot I can do on that firmware. I am guessing any exploit or hack would be on 3.6 going forward.

killatopak

Gold Member
So, honest question: the PS Vita hardware is better ou worse than the n3DS hardware for emulation?

Technically it's better but it's worse right now because it isn't mature yet. (talking about henkaku).

As interest grows, I assume it'll get better.

Potentially it is better but being downclocked, it's not.
The Cortex A9 massively outperforms the ARM11 clock-per-clock, so the processor having a lower clock speed than the N3DS doesn't mean much. It would be better to compare actual performance once Vita emulators have been optimized.

Top Bottom