• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita OLED burn in.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Lucky me I have no burn in problems as well (unless I just never noticed them lol).

What somewhat irritates me now though are the vertical lines you see when viewing solid color images. Is this an oled thing too, or just specific to the vita because I don't see that on my amoled phone (I get the splotches on both phone and vita).

I thought that was just the way Persona 3's Tarturus clock looked like. Also, I don't think holding off on a Vita is going to fix much of anything. They'll keep using the OLED screen and Mura will happen just like with every other OLED screen ( Hopefully I'm not wrong am I ? ). And burn in will happen with every device you have. Might as well not buying anything with a screen, then again that's just my experiences...
Wait a second... My Droid Incredible was OLED too... Interesting.

Rubius

As long as nothing's touching the screen or sticks or buttons, the Vita should go to sleep on it's own.

Seem like sleep is desactivated during updates. I just tried and the screen stay wide open if a update is going on. You have to close the screen manually with the power button... which stop the update.

Lasdrub

I have burn in from the...navigation bar on the right side of the browser. I look at the browser a lot. Ive tried leaving it on a white screen for a couple hours but its still there.

Its not bad, I never notice it in a game or anything. Just a bit annoying knowing its there.

Here is a picture. I never even noticed that its along the top of the screen from the address bar.

xgu.png

I am not the only one! I only notice it on screens with one color, and those aren't too common.

To people worried - it was caused by the browser. I used the Vita as my only browser exclusively for a few months until I noticed a strange line on the side when the screen went blue. You should be fine as long as you don't use the browser for hours a day, every day. Also, you need to keep the tape with the numbers on it at the bottom of the system. Sony will not repair your system without those stickers attached. Mine fell off on their own, so I was screwed. Learn from my mistakes.

So I saw this morning that my vita battery were red, so I went to plug it in, but there was an update. So hey, let's do the update too. I start the update and go to sleep. I wake up 8 hours later... screen of the vita is wide open and bright with the button update complete.
Why. Now I have to update content manager to figure out if its burned in or not.
Why does it not go to sleep mode after a while after an update, even more with the high risk of burn in?

Download the purple image on page two and view it with your Vita in a dark room to check for burn in. Angle the system in different directions, too.

KLonso

Guess ill hold off on Vita for awhile

That's not really going to help much, this isn't a sort of problem that can be solved with anything short of a redesign. And I doubt that any redesign of the vita will get rid of the OLED screen.

LaNaranja

Why did I have to open this thread? I have had my Vita since launch and have been pretty active with it although I have yet to get any burn in. Now I am afraid :(

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Why did I have to open this thread? I have had my Vita since launch and have been pretty active with it although I have yet to get any burn in. Now I am afraid :(

I've yet to see anyone with a Vita have burn in that wasn't from using the web browser for extended sessions over a long period of time.
And even those cases I can count on one hand from people that have posted.

Brannon

Can't they make a browser update that makes the sidebar appear when you press a button? Because that would be the simplest thing.

tensuke

Haven't experienced this yet, use Vita a good bit since last December. Love the beautiful OLED screen too much to worry. It's just something you have to be careful about, just like with Plasmas. Not a huge cause for alarm. I wish it wasn't a thing, though. :/

Grinchy

Banned
So I saw this morning that my vita battery were red, so I went to plug it in, but there was an update. So hey, let's do the update too. I start the update and go to sleep. I wake up 8 hours later... screen of the vita is wide open and bright with the button update complete.
Why. Now I have to update content manager to figure out if its burned in or not.
Why does it not go to sleep mode after a while after an update, even more with the high risk of burn in?

You went to bed in the morning and woke up 8 hours later?

Seriously though, I hope you don't have the burn in.

I have a launch Vita, I play it often and the only screen artifact I have on my device is the white sploches when the image is completely black and only visible in a pitch dark room.

Other than that, black levels are lovely on the Vita screen and everything is vivid.

Kouriozan

I decided to re-buy a Vita in preparation of Disgaea 4 Return.
My heart broke when I saw that big black line, extremely visible and annoying in Disgaea 3 :(
Oh well, I'll get a refund and I guess I'll wait for that Vita 2000, hopefully that version it won't have screen problems.

I decided to re-buy a Vita in preparation of Disgaea 4 Return.
My heart broke when I saw that big black line, extremely visible and annoying in Disgaea 3 :(
Oh well, I'll get a refund and I guess I'll wait for that Vita 2000, hopefully that version it won't have screen problems.
Shouldn't have that issue. When do they release anyway?

NIGHT-

Is the mura effect common? I've used my vita 3 times and notice it clearly on black screens... How is this even acceptable?

BigDug13

Is the mura effect common? I've used my vita 3 times and notice it clearly on black screens... How is this even acceptable?

You mean the black screens when everything has faded to black as it loads something in your game right? Because I've seen some weird looking stuff on those screens, but never on a screen during gameplay.

NIGHT-

You mean the black screens when everything has faded to black as it loads something in your game right? Because I've seen some weird looking stuff on those screens, but never on a screen during gameplay.

I just booted up flower and it was visible during the start up menu/cutscene... Very distracting :/

braves01

Banned
I just booted up flower and it was visible during the start up menu/cutscene... Very distracting :/

Yep, OLED "burn in," or Mura effect I guess, is definitely real. Noticed really weird splotches during the Uncharted loading screens from day one of having the console. It's a big weird splotch in the center-left of my screen and another half circle in top right of screen, in total covering about 40-50% of my screen if I had to guess. If there's any good news, it's that it's unnoticeable in most lighting and during most gameplay. I could only notice it playing in total darkness at night and during mostly black screens, but still. Pretty major flaw.

SoulUnison

Banned
My screen looks like someone with a paintbrush splattered black pain all over the place, but t's only noticeable during the pure black of loading screens and the like. I guess that's normal, but it's still distracting and disappointing.

Orlov

My screen looks like someone with a paintbrush splattered black pain all over the place, but t's only noticeable during the pure black of loading screens and the like. I guess that's normal, but it's still distracting and disappointing.

Yep, it's normal for OLED. I had the same "issue" with my Galaxy S2.

Sitrus

I must be one of the lucky ones with a really grotesque mura on it after playing for the first few months. Now, it seems to have disappeared totally. I play a lot before bed and my screen is totally free of anything this last month. It's really weird seing it so blank even in total darkness.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Are there any programs that you can run on the Vita to "break in" the screen a bit to prevent burn-in? I know that this is recommended for new plasma TVs, basically running a series of full screen colors that cycle regularly for a number of hours.

Yukiari

Oh why did I read this?! I haven't even opened my new Vita yet. Just don't leave it on for long periods of time right? To avoid burn in?

Top Bottom