• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita PSN Game & Service Thread | September 2013 | Token Indie Thread

Just when I was complaining about it almost a day ago, they finally show a 7min gameplay video of Legend of Heroes Sin no Kiseki. I'm not sure if it's running on a Vita or PS3, but the graphics don't look great. I don't really care all that much about graphics though because after I saw the battle system, I was already hooked.

Here's the video. If you want to skip the opening animation and just characters talking then skip to 5:25.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
Just when I was complaining about it almost a day ago, they finally show a 7min gameplay video of Legend of Heroes Sin no Kiseki. I'm not sure if it's running on a Vita or PS3, but the graphics don't look great. I don't really care all that much about graphics though because after I saw the battle system, I was already hooked.
It was the PS3 version. And yeah that's why I mentioned I would've preferred that they stick to sprites like before. Falcom games are relatively low budget and they don't have much experience in 3D animation and modeling so graphically it's janky as hell.

I don't know. I'm going to try out a range of genres and find what seems to work best. I'm really excited for the custom stuff, though.

Let me know if you have any issues with importing music. (One issue is that you have to play through all the included tracks in story mode to unlock the import mode - we will probably be changing this in an update). It can take some practice to tap out the songs' beats and then judge whether you got it right by comparing the song to a superimposed beat. But you also just tell me which songs and I (or anyone else who calculates them correctly) can give you the beat numbers to type in manually.

Genres that work best are anything with a strong, consistent beat. Tempo changes mid-song will screw it up, and it will be tough to tap out the beat for the calculation if you can't discern it (long intros, weird pauses, super-quiet parts, etc.)

Novocaine

Tried to play vita in bed last night.

Wife complained a out "creaky, clicky buttons"

Turned off vita, picked up iphone5 *sadface*

Mine squeak too. I was thinking about getting some WD40 in there or something, but I'm paranoid that I will break it.

I'm guessing that stuff with a really steady tempo like electronic stuff will work the best.

BlueMaxima went over the process of making a custom track in his Kickbeat video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ysk-1KObfAw&feature=c4-overview&list=UU13Puu09ecnll-hhHqbmdNw

maybe he can shed some light on what works best :p.

I didn't know the game had a feature like that!

(Admittedly, I haven't followed its development)

Too bad, his video seems disabled or down. I wanted to check it out and I might get this game, solely to use Garbage's music (favorite band) as backing tracks :p

Here's the video. If you want to skip the opening animation and just characters talking then skip to 5:25.

That battle system looks pretty awesome, actually.

I didn't know the game had a feature like that!

(Admittedly, I haven't followed its development)

Too bad, his video seems disabled or down. I wanted to check it out and I might get this game, solely to use Garbage's music (favorite band) as backing tracks :p.

Here's an official trailer for the feature!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQHZCdDMyIw

Hopefully that works for you! Also look two posts above you! It's a dev for the game! He can answer all your questions! :D

Also look it's a review for the game on Destructoid! 8/10

http://www.destructoid.com/review-kickbeat-260938.phtml

While I'm at it, let me just remind everyone that this game will only be $7.99 tomorrow on Plus with crossbuy!

YOPO baby!

VanWinkle

Rayman is comming tomorrow right?

Yup
3AQmK.gif

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Tried to play vita in bed last night.

Wife complained a out "creaky, clicky buttons"

Turned off vita, picked up iphone5 *sadface*
I am really surprised I haven't gotten this complaint from my fiancé.

The lowest brightness level is still way, waaaay too bright too. I actually woke him up a few nights ago by turning it on when I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep. He didn't seem to mind but I still felt bad. :(

Mine squeak too. I was thinking about getting some WD40 in there or something, but I'm paranoid that I will break it.
There's probably some sort of lubricant you could use safely, but I don't think WD40 is it. Seems like it'd be too heavy duty...

LuchaShaq

Banned
Yo guys,

have any of you bought a USB third party cable before? My official USB cable has crapped out and I started using a third party one I had. The only problem is that it is too tight and fear that I may destroy my Vita port from the constant charging, as I have to force the cable out.

Can anyone recommend some good third party USB cables that fit right?

Mono price. Going anywhere else for any cable is insanity.

ReaperXL7

What is everyone playing right now? In what ways are you digging it? Share some love

Not Vita, but I have been digging into DCUO again, really need to get caught up on the dlc.

Also playing Spelunky (love the challange), and been checking out some recent levels in LBP Vita.

Not Vita, but I have been digging into DCUO again, really need to get caught up on the dlc.

Also playing Spelunky (love the challange), and been checking out some recent levels in LBP Vita.

I'm gonna hit DCUO again when the PS4 comes around. I'm looking forward to that remote play goodness

LuchaShaq

Banned
I wouldn't hold your breath for Terraria.

:(

June/ July ? Would have bought it day one.

August-now? Probably would have bought it day one if given plus discount.

Between now and gta5-new consoles, even the iOS version is out. Fuck em I have too much to play now anyways.

I love how active this thread is. It's even more lively now with the Vita price drop. Welcome to the ones who just joined us! It's an awesome community here.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
@Boogalogist yeah nice to see all the new comers, just more people to recommend Gurumin to.

new Vita owners go and Gurumin, all of you.

Rayman is comming tomorrow right?

[massa]
hopefully he'll bring all the removed contents with him.
[/massa]

ugh, god only knows why I am buying this game after I have given up on totori.

Im just a sucker for any JRPGs to hit the vita I guess

I blame SCEJ for the lack of JRPGs, their focus on MonHun clones is just too much (yes that what sells in Japan but a system need variety)

I know I'm late to the party, but I got my Vita today. I still haven't picked up a memory card (price cut be damned, they're still too expensive) and I haven't got any games for it yet so it's little more than a paper weight at the moment.

After the initial set up, I've a few thoughts on it.
-The analogue sticks feel flimsy. I haven't used them in a game yet but they don't seem to have much range of motion.
-The shiny plastic on the trackpad feels "cheap" in my hands.

That makes me sound really negative already, doesn't it?
I do have some positive things to say about it.
-That SCREEN. I don't think I can take my 3DS XL seriously after gazing at the Vita screen for 5 minutes. Incredibly crisp.
-PSP and PS1 backward compatibility. I've only had a flick through the Playstation Store, but I can see myself picking up MGS: Portable Ops, Killzone Liberation and FFVI.
-Vita games! Spelunky, Guacamelee, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Issac Rebirth, Ys... so many games, so little time. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with them all.

I blame SCEJ for the lack of JRPGs, their focus on MonHun clones is just too much (yes that what sells in Japan but a system need variety)

Hey, I love MH crones! I can't wait for Toukiden! Looks so yummy...even cross-playable with PSP! You get to fight demons instead of monsters!

RPG is not my cup of tea. LOL

-That SCREEN. I don't think I can take my 3DS XL seriously after gazing at the Vita screen for 5 minutes. Incredibly crisp.

Even my carbon fibre 3DS XL looks like a toy compared to the Vita. Imagine how bad it was before I pimped it.

wilflare

I know I'm late to the party, but I got my Vita today. I still haven't picked up a memory card (price cut be damned, they're still too expensive) and I haven't got any games for it yet so it's little more than a paper weight at the moment.

After the initial set up, I've a few thoughts on it.
-The analogue sticks feel flimsy. I haven't used them in a game yet but they don't seem to have much range of motion.
-The shiny plastic on the trackpad feels "cheap" in my hands.

That makes me sound really negative already, doesn't it?
I do have some positive things to say about it.
-PSP and PS1 backward compatibility. I've only had a flick through the Playstation Store, but I can see myself picking up MGS: Portable Ops, Killzone Liberation and FFVI.
-Vita games! Spelunky, Guacamelee, Muramasa, Dragon's Crown, Soul Sacrifice, Tearaway, Issac Rebirth, Ys... so many games, so little time. I don't think I'll be able to keep up with them all.

welcome to the Vita family :D
use the D-Pad it's one of the best things about the Vita

trackpad? you mean the rearpad?

I bought a PSVita yesterday to prepare for Ys and picked up Metal Gear HD and P4G. I also got two 16GB cards.
So I was told that having two cards is good because then I can create an account tied to another region. I've already read the post that's linked in the OP for how to switch accounts, but I'm not sure what the bonus of having another account in another region is. Is it so I can download games from Japan (for example)? But if I can't read Japanese, does that kind of defeat the purpose?
I bought my PSV in Hong Kong and I already have access to a good amount of Japanese games but decided to skip out on them since I don't think I can enjoy them fully without being able to read the text. I'm assuming that the PSV will be fine if I buy games for it back when I'm in Canada, since I'm playing English versions of P4G and Metal Gear right now?

Also, should I sign up for a PS+ account? I'm not sure what that does exactly, does that just let me buy games from the Playstation Store or something? What's the difference between that and just buying the cartridge in a brick and mortar store?
Also, the games I bought require memory to be played, this is just for the save files, right? If I actually want to install the game onto my memory stick then I need to download the game from the Playstation store?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first Playstation console and I'm not sure what I'm doing exactly.

welcome to the Vita family :D
use the D-Pad it's one of the best things about the Vita

trackpad? you mean the rearpad?

Thanks.
The d-pad does feel great. I was too busy shrouded in my negativity to mention that. i like how it sorta rocks back and forth under my thumb.

Yes the rearpad. It feels so cold and lifeless to my touch.

Omerta

Re: the analogue sticks...

I thought they felt pretty sub-par when I first picked up the vita... Then I played stuff and I haven't thought it since.

Seriously.

wilflare

Thanks.
The d-pad does feel great. I was too busy shrouded in my negativity to mention that. i like how it sorta rocks back and forth under my thumb.

Yes the rearpad. It feels so cold and lifeless to my touch.

the good thing is you won't be using the rearpad much :p
you can get a HORI grip to help with the overall ergonomics of the device :)

after the buttons (dpad and stick) on the Vita, I really hate playing platformers on the 3DS XL... :/

I bought a PSVita yesterday to prepare for Ys and picked up Metal Gear HD and P4G. I also got two 16GB cards.
So I was told that having two cards is good because then I can create an account tied to another region. I've already read the post that's linked in the OP for how to switch accounts, but I'm not sure what the bonus of having another account in another region is. Is it so I can download games from Japan (for example)? But if I can't read Japanese, does that kind of defeat the purpose?
I bought my PSV in Hong Kong and I already have access to a good amount of Japanese games but decided to skip out on them since I don't think I can enjoy them fully without being able to read the text. I'm assuming that the PSV will be fine if I buy games for it back when I'm in Canada, since I'm playing English versions of P4G and Metal Gear right now?

Also, should I sign up for a PS+ account? I'm not sure what that does exactly, does that just let me buy games from the Playstation Store or something? What's the difference between that and just buying the cartridge in a brick and mortar store?
Also, the games I bought require memory to be played, this is just for the save files, right? If I actually want to install the game onto my memory stick then I need to download the game from the Playstation store?

Sorry for all the questions, but this is my first Playstation console and I'm not sure what I'm doing exactly.
PS+ is a subscription service that gives you game downloads each week for the various Playstation systems and discounts on digital game purchases in the PSN store. It also lets you store your game saves in the cloud for backup. You can buy games in the psn store without PS+ but without the discounts.

You will need the memory card for media storage and downloaded games as well as saves.

Novocaine

I was a little skeptical at first about the sticks, but now I really like them. It's definitely different than your standard pad.

the good thing is you won't be using the rearpad much :p
you can get a HORI grip to help with the overall ergonomics of the device :)

after the buttons (dpad and stick) on the Vita, I really hate playing platformers on the 3DS XL... :/

That's good to know. The touchscreen feels really responsive but I don't like the idea of smudging my grubby thumbs across that lovely. I'm sure I'll get over it though.

The overall feel and ergonomics feel great to me to be honest. I doubt I'll need a grip accessory.
That said, after putting 50 hours into Fire Emblem on the classic 3DS in the span of two weeks, every device I hold instantly feels more comfortable than that did.
I had cramp in my thumb for a week afterwards.

I found the d-pad controls for DKCR3D borderline infuriating at times. There was just something ever so slightly unresponsive about tbe movement in that game that often resulted in death.
I haven't played any other platformer for the 3DS so maybe it was just the game and not the hardware that caused it.

What is everyone playing right now? In what ways are you digging it? Share some love

Right now I'm playing Spelunky, Divekick and Modnation Racers: Road Trip.

I spent 60+ hours playing Spelunky on Xbox 360, but having it on the go is fucking amazing. A few days ago I was at the laundrymat washing some clothes (with an hour of downtime) and spent it playing Spelunky. The time flew by. I'm a bit worried that Blitworks won't fix the (serious) framerate issues that arise in certain situations when you get further into the game and into one of the secret areas.

Divekick is something I had no interest in, but being a Giant Bomb fan I've seen a lot of it and since it was cheap at launch I figured I give it a try. It's a really fun game, but it isn't as simple as it looks -- there is a lot of complexity to the matchups. I'm horrible at it, but I jump into a lot of online matches just because it's so easy to do so. Lots of fun and totally worth the 8 bucks.

I really only bought Modnation Racers: Road Trip because I played Modnation Racers on PS3 so much (150+ hours and over 1000 online races completed) and wanted to see how it played on the Vita. It looks really good and plays just how I would expect, and that in itself is impressive. The biggest problem I have with the game is that it has no online multiplayer, and that is just silly not to have -- especially when the PSP incarnation of MNR did have it. The single player is just boring.

Just an aside, I could always use more Vita brothers on my list. :) My tag is ScareGoat

Top Bottom