• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Remote Play (PS4) Is Awful

I don't have any network issues. I can use it from upstairs just fine.

Only issue I have is that Vita's control inputs don't allow for as precise control as a dualshock, making some games unplayable to a degree(I cannot post a good time in Driveclub, because accelerator/brake aren't analog)

Recently got an Xperia(waiting on a clip for DS) though, so I'm hoping this will solve my only issue.

Zambayoshi

I've used it a few times but I tend to connect directly rather than over wi-fi. Unless I'm sitting close to the PS4 the connection is a bit unstable. Over wi-fi it tends to bug out a lot, probably due to network congestion and wi-fi interference from nearby networks.

hymanator

Worked better than Wii U remote play for me. Just wish the Vita had another set of triggers.

You could always get an Nvidia Shield for 1:1 controls:

nvidia_ps4_shield_banner-1080x543.jpg

Conduit

Banned
I think that "works well" and especially "flawlessly" is extremely exaggerated. That, or I've bought 3 defective pieces of vita hardware.

Regardless, my experience with Sony and remote play is not good at all. And the generally mixed perception of it leads me to believe it just doesn't really work that well, at least consistently. It's kind of a known quantity that the wifi chips Sony uses are garbage, so it isn't really surprising.

Also who said that Remote Play is awful or similar is also an " exaggeration ".

hymanator

Does it run the PS4 Remote Play app?

The apk for the remote play app (exclusive to Xperia phones) has been cracked to work with every Android device now. I have used a PS4 controller with my phone to do remote play as well, but I prefer using the Nvidia Shield portable. I've been able to connect to my house while in a hotel room. It's not "perfect" in terms of latency, but if you wanted to do something more "casual" (like grinding for loot in Destiny) it works just fine.

Morts

I forgot that Remote Play was a thing so this thread got me to try it last night with MGSV. I had no network issues or noticeable lag whatsoever, but R1/L1 being mapped to the back touchpad was unmanageable. Then again, I hate everything about the back touchpad.

Metal Gear looks surprisingly great on the Vita screen though.

bro go into your Vita settings and turn that wifi power save off

I mean, remote play is still the worst streaming solution I've used this gen in practice, but it's still some awesome wild future shit that works well for certain games and I'm glad it's there. and with the right hardware configuration, it works well enough. I used to have issues with it all the time, and I definitely don't believe that remote play is anywhere near as good as some will have you believe, but it's serviceable.

I can't wait to see if PSTV remote play works well or not. On Thursday my little brother is rewiring the whole house and we're going to be rocking wired connections to our router in every room. Once that's done, we'll be able to play PS4 (using our cheap little PSTVs) and Xbox One (we've all got Windows 10 PCs) in any room in the house

So, you two don't believe others when they say that Remote Play works well?

I genuinely do not because people like to exaggerate or misrepresent remote play with quotes like "no noticeable lag" or "flawless gameplay" which I've personally concluded to be 100% bullshit

I mean it's whatever, those are personal subjective metrics but if you don't notice the lag or input delay present in any Remote Play configuration then there's probably lots else you'll tend not to notice which would help make this sort of streaming solution more palatable for you, whereas I'm really sensitive to that shit

AwShucks

OK so interesting thing that I felt wasn't worth starting a new thread over...since the PS4 and Vita updates, I've been having trouble getting a good direct connection with Remote Play. I've even disconnected from my internet to make sure it was doing a direct connection, but it's just a unstable connection with awful quality.

Anybody experience this? I'm going to try non-direct tonight and see if it's any different.

I got a Vita recently and I've been remote playing via direct connection. Haven't had any issues really.

Playing Driveclub and Disgaea 5 through it and both have been pretty fantastic experiences so far, especially the latter.

Found someone selling a used OLED Vita in LN condition w/ a 16GB card for $90 so I'm hopping on the Vita train tonight. Remote play is going to revolutionize the TV sharing in my small studio apartment; now the gf can binge House Hunters while I happily use remote play.

Boss Man

Remote Play is pretty dang sweet and I still can't believe it's a thing that works whenever I use it, but yeah I'm sure there are all sorts of networking nuances that block it for some people.

I played through a dungeon in FFXIV in a hotel room in KC with my PS4 at home in Dallas. I hit a few lag spikes where I thought I was gonna get dropped, but 90% of it was buttery smooth. That was without full bars on my wifi signal too.

Jonboy

How do all of you Destiny players compensate for the Vita thumbsticks? I don't have nearly the same precision as I do on my DS4. It's practically unplayable for me. Maybe changing the sensitivity?

Bad experiences here, both connecting directly or over wifi, wired connection to multiple different routers, multiple wifi channels, etc. Always massive connection drops.

When Directly Connecting, seems to work pretty well if I'm right next to the PS4 (<10 feet). When connecting to the router instead, it's crap even when 5 feet from the router.

Wii U, Xbone Stream to Win10 (wired), Steam Streaming (wifi) all work flawlessly.

I do live in a fairly busy apartment complex so I blame it on that combined with Vita's wifi being terrible and not supporting 5ghz.

Waveset

While I never had a problem with Remote Play on the Vita, I've now got a Nexus 9 and game mount with a DS4.

I really elevates Remote Play: 720p on a bigger screen, it loads up and connects much faster and of course a full controller.

sono

Gold Member
After i wired my ps4 to my router this works very fine for me and oh yeah : dont use a Bluetooth headset on vita at the same time.

the fact i can tether it to my phone and play it while at the hospital and it played pretty well.. means you people that find it unplayable have to be doing something wrong.

animax

It really is worded terribly. The way they word it makes it look like you want it to use the wifi when it's asleep or something

Yeah. But aside from bad wording its just a stupid option to give - who the hell would ever choose to have a weak wifi connection when full strength is available??! I mean jesus, maybe the 0.0001% case where you need to browse and your battery is low or you need to browse for a long long time

Mihos

Gold Member
It has been pretty rock solid for me, not quite as good as my Shield devices, but the only time it has been an issue is when someone at home starts vacuuming (using power line adapters)

playXray

I've only played it across LAN (via wifi at both ends mind) and it's been flawless for me since day one. Not played across the Internet however.

fork_bomb

Banned
I'm inclined to agree with OP here. I mainly play shooters on my PS4, and goddamn that input lag is unbearable. Destiny works okay because it's mainly PvE, but other shooters are pretty much unplayable. Same goes for Bloodborne. Really wish Sony had put the AC standard into the Vita 2000, and invested more into speedier encode/decode tech. My Shield is still getting some use, though. Gamestream from my PC on that thing is really great.

Still love my Vita, though. Best portable ever.

I played a lot of Transistor through Remote Play... I was pretty happy with the experience.
I think I did some Infamous First Light too and that worked alright.

Mihos

Gold Member
Sadly Nvidia appears to have killed off the Shield Portable. :(

I get more updates to my shield portable than I do to my PS4 (or Samsung phones for that matter).... there are also rumors a new one is coming out soon. I think I even saw a leaked BOM somewhere.

can u link to what adapters you're using

I have 2 sets of these
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CB2F65O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I had some netgear ones, but they never stayed linked for me

Really looking forward putting Fallout 4 through the remote play paces next month. I'm going on vacation a couple days after it drops and would love to get some stable RP in during downtime, or layovers.

Yeah...I assumed that was the best way.

Sounds like it isn't? I've had my Vita less than 24 hours so grain of salt and all that, but I have that "connect directly" box unchecked and have been testing RP at various WiFi spots I usually hit throughout my normal workday (cafe on the way to work, office, etc..) and it's been as good as I could've hoped considering my home connection isn't that great to begin with.

Also, holy shit do I love my Vita.

Occam

You need ~5MBit upstream for it to work perfectly, from what I've read.

I wish a mod would update the title of this thread, because Vita Remote Play is fantastic if you have a good connection and a modern router.

This also helps:
hTojXSJ.jpg

CHC

I have 50 Mbps internet speeds and Vita Remote Play has always sucked, it's completely awful and unplayable. It's the Vita's wi-fi - total garbage. I've lost the will to try to fix it, it doesn't even matter at this point really.

Seth

I use it often when traveling, often of fairly slow internet connections and it works just fine. Sounds like you have issue with your local network.

Occam

I have 50 Mbps internet speeds and Vita Remote Play has always sucked, it's completely awful and unplayable. It's the Vita's wi-fi - total garbage. I've lost the will to try to fix it, it doesn't even matter at this point really.

Have you switched off Vita's wifi power saving and set the video quality to high? Are the necessary ports on your router open and is upnp enabled? Is your PS4 connected to your router via LAN? Are you sure you are actually using your router and not a direct PS4 connection (which has a rather limited range)?

Linkark07

Banned
I haven't had problems with Vita Remote Play; can play easily in my bed my PS4 games, although sometimes the connection starts to get lost.

Played fine The Last of Us and Destiny. Sleeping Dogs was ok, although had some problems. MGSV, is something I wont try ever again.

For people that said remote play works perfect for them do you mind sharing your internet speed?

I have DSL (Sonic) and can only pull 8 down/1.25 up-- hooray old ass wiring in even older ass buildings!-- and have no issues remote playing games while in my apartment.

- My PS4 is wired
- I tested it while not doing anything else on the network as well as testing it while I had the PS3 (not wired) streaming Netflix, which is the normal use case anyway.
- I tested it on games I would actually play via RP; turn-based games or games where increased latency would't be a dealbreaker. I did play a little bit of Destiny via RP and it also worked great.

Remote play outside of my apartment worked fine when I was connected to a fast wifi access point at work as well as a friend's apartment. Remote play was barely serviceable when connected to a slow access point or one where the signal wasn't strong. Ultimately, I feel like if I had broadband or faster DSL at home that my RP experience would be even better. As it stands, it works great for my needs.

Top Bottom