• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita Will Allow Multiple PSN Accounts, Sony Says

V_Ben

Banned
http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2011/12/vita-accounts/

NEW YORK — Contrary to earlier reports, Sony told Wired.com Wednesday night that its upcoming PlayStation Vita handheld gaming system will not be limited to one online account per device.

Speaking to Wired.com at a press event in Manhattan, Sony associate brand marketing manager Crystal MacKenzie said that PlayStation Network accounts will be connected to the Vita’s proprietary memory cards, not the hardware itself. Though you will have to restore the Vita to its default factory settings in order to change the account on each memory card, you can use multiple cards to access multiple PSN accounts on a single Vita system.

“Your PSN ID is bonded to your memory card and your memory card is bonded to your Vita,” MacKenzie said. “So if you wanted to change different PSN users but use the same memory card, you would need to go factory reset.”

Customers will be able to swap cards to use different PSN IDs on the same system, MacKenzie said. If you have more than one memory card, you can register a different PlayStation Network account on each.

“You can also use them both on the same PSN account as well,” she said.

Earlier this week, a number of gaming websites reported that Sony would support only one PlayStation Network account per Vita system, disappointing many American fans who used alternative accounts to purchase European and Japanese games on Sony’s last handheld system, the PlayStation Portable.

Sony will release PlayStation Vita on February 22 in the U.S. It will retail for $250 (with Wi-Fi) and $300 (with Wi-Fi and 3G connectivity).

So... that's a bit better. But Now you have to buy multiple memory cards! HA!

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL...I've got no issue with limiting to one PSN account, but the way they say it is hilarious. "Want more than one account? Buy another of our extremely overprice proprietary memory cards!"

Also, in before insanity reigns and people start defending the memory prices.

So no matter what, a Europe profile will never get to play Japanese games? And I won't be able to play review copies, redeemed on my press account, on my personal account no matter how many memory cards I have?

LiK

Each new PSN account will cost you money technically if you don't wanna do factory reset, LOL

kaioshade

That is better than having to do a factory reset.
I can deal with swapping out memory cards, but hot damn is that going to be expensive.

Brannon

So instead of one level of shit, it's another, parallel level of shit. Okay.

Now we just have to wait for the Datel-types to make a 3rd party card that can swap within itself like those 4-in-1 cards of old.

I can dream...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
wait, if psn account is stored on mem card, can we go online without mem card?

This is one major reason why I didn't expect accounts to be tied to memory cards. Something something forest, trees.

Want to sign into PSN? Better have a memory card!

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
This shit is getting out of hand.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Wait, so if the profile is tied to a memory card, if you wanted to move up to a larger size memory card all you have to do is copy everything over? There's not going to be some dumb profile transfer hoops we'd have to go through in terms of deactivation/reactivation right? Right?? :(

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So... that's a bit better. But Now you have to buy multiple memory cards! HA!

Actually, you wouldnt have to. But the person you want to share your vita with would have to buy one.

Unless you want accounts in every region lol.

Jarmel

Banned
I'm okay with that. I'm going to have to pick up a second memory card anyway. Now can we get an answer about switching out the SIM cards?

Well, it's obvious they are taking a bath on the Vita itself so they are clearly trying to make back what they can with memory cards.

Except they're not losing money it.

I have to commend Sony, it's a very well thought out business plan. Memory card business is very lucrative. Too bad the system won't sell.

Sooooo I guess I should wait for the re-design huh?

Redesign requires new, redesigned memory cards. Just watch.

Lothars

I think this is a fine solution because you will still be able to use accounts with the vita and I am sure most people will have more than one memory card eventually.

I just hope that it does store one account on the vita without the need of a memory card.

Top Bottom