• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita3K - The first Playstation Vita emulator

Battlechili

Banned
VITA EMULATION IS HERE
https://github.com/Vita3K/Vita3K

Vita3K is a brand new up and coming emulator for the PC made to emulate the Playstation Vita. It just got announced as of yesterday.
Currently, as it is extremely new, it cannot play any commercial Vita games, however it is already capable of running some Vita homebrew software. As an example, here's an example of Quake homebrew being played by the emulator:
vitaQuake.png

To quote the developers's Patreon page:
Vita3k developers said:
What is this?
It's a work-in-progress PlayStation Vita emulator.

Why is it needed?
With the PlayStation Vita approaching end-of-life, there has never been a more important time to preserve compatibility with the existing PS Vita software library.

Given that the PS4 doesn't run PS Vita software (or even PS3 or PSP software for that matter), we can't rely on Sony to maintain compatibility with PS Vita software in the future. We need to step up and build that compatibility ourselves.

Compatibility
The emulator currently runs a couple of homebrew programs. I need your help to expand support to cover more of the PS Vita software library. That means supporting more homebrew software, as well as backups you've made of your own PS Vita games.

This is exciting! After all this time, Vita emulation is finally making way.

Last edited:

Shifty

I wonder if a customised switch could run it.
Technically yes if the switch can run homebrew, but if it's barely playable on PC then expect <1FPS.

And of course, you'd have to compile it for the tegra chipset.

Last edited:

Necro900

Good stuff. PSVita's catalog is full of (often scantily distributed) gems that deserve to be preserved.

Also, I bet Vita games at 4K (whenever that will be possible) will shine.

This is great news. The more players that get to experience Lumines: Electronic Symphony, the better.

That was James Mielke's finest hour as far as I'm concerned (and I loved his contributions to the 1UP Show).

Playing on PC won't quite be the same without the glorious dpad on the Vita though. It blows my mind that Sony didn't put it on the Dual Shock 4. I'd love for them to do an "Elite" version of the Dual Shock with the Vita dpad on it as one of the revisions/improvements.

Last edited:

MrMorningMan

Neo Member
I'm very interested in seeing how this progresses. It's very expensive and difficult to find a Vita (at least where I am) these days and that's not factoring in the cost of the memory card(s) you'll need. The Vita library has some truly amazing games and seeing them emulated at higher resolutions and a stable framerate with the inclusion AF and other techniques, it could be really great.

Playing on PC won't quite be the same without the glorious dpad on the Vita though. It blows my mind that Sony didn't put it on the Dual Shock 4. I'd love for them to do an "Elite" version of the Dual Shock with the Vita dpad on it as one of the revisions/improvements.

Greatest. Dpad. Ever.

Even better than the amazing one of the GB Micro which was the all time heavyweight champ till this came along, simply stunning at how responsive it is and how nice it feels and yet they didn't use it elsewhere. Madness!

This is great news. The more players that get to experience Lumines: Electronic Symphony, the better.

That was James Mielke's finest hour as far as I'm concerned (and I loved his contributions to the 1UP Show).

I used to play PSP games on my PC with my PSP as the controller. Is there anything like that for Vita homebrew? Would be an option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom