• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vizio 50" 4K UHD TV for $999 + free $300 gift card at Dell.com

It's 19.1 and 65 with HDR. That's not that bad at all.

That's the input lag outside of HDR. The input lag with HDR on is in the 60s. Now I don't really know if any games even support HDR currently so I'm not sure if it is really that big of a deal yet.

gamz

That's the input lag outside of HDR. The input lag with HDR on is in the 60s. Now I don't really know if any games even support HDR currently so I'm not sure if it is really that big of a deal yet.

Right. I said that in my post. It's 65 which isn't bad at all for HDR.

Cyriades

I just bought Vizio's M49-C1 model.

Its a IPS panel with local dimming which does help with IPS poor black level.
My TV does NOT have HDR support. ... I guess I'll hope for firmware updates that probably will never come.

sikkinixx

Goddamn USA and your crazy deals. That same TV is on *sale* for $1300 cdn, so the same as your regular price after dollar conversion, plus an extra $300 gift card (or ~$400 cdn).

Might as well wait until Black Friday , no one touches the $500 priced tvs and I assume the 50 inch 4K ones will be that price or even a 60 inch one for $700

kIdMuScLe

I just bought Vizio's M49-C1 model.

Its a IPS panel with local dimming which does help with IPS poor black level.
My TV does NOT have HDR support. ... I guess I'll hope for firmware updates that probably will never come.

Uh... All M-series has HDR support unless you bought last year model. Oh yeah and not every store carries the 2016 series

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
How much difference would I see in this TV when going to it from a Panasonic Plasma?

Nipo

Might as well wait until Black Friday , no one touches the $500 priced tvs and I assume the 50 inch 4K ones will be that price or even a 60 inch one for $700

Maybe the M series will get close to that level E series definitely will. For the P series? Unlikely.

Nipo

How much difference would I see in this TV when going to it from a Panasonic Plasma?

Get an OLED. I've yet to meet someone who went from a high end plasma to any LED and didn't whine about the black levels. At the same time the three people who switched to OLED were blown away how much better the picture was.

Thewonandonly

I have been looking at 4K TV's for a while now and everyone things I should get a loan for one. They say it will be good for my credit since I'm 19 and can afford a 1000 loan preety easily.

Should I do this. Will this TV have all the features are want in gaming for the next 3-4 years? Also I have a very dark basement that I game in :)

Hard to say, without knowing which Panny model you have. The Vizio will be higher-resolution, but...

As others have mentioned, you're likely to be underwhelmed by the black levels, and so waiting until OLED becomes reasonable might be the better bet.

D23

I have been looking at 4K TV's for a while now and everyone things I should get a loan for one. They say it will be good for my credit since I'm 19 and can afford a 1000 loan preety easily.

Should I do this. Will this TV have all the features are want in gaming for the next 3-4 years? Also I have a very dark basement that I game in :)

getting a loan to buy a TV is something that i don't recommend, at least not for me.

gamz

Get an OLED. I've yet to meet someone who went from a high end plasma to any LED and didn't whine about the black levels. At the same time the three people who switched to OLED were blown away how much better the picture was.

Well, yeah, OLED for sure, but it's not cheap. Like at all.

gamz

Dude, it's 1000 save your money. Getting a TV on credit is lame. Whatever you'll save in this deal you'll get killed in interest.

Servbot24

Banned

There is no way a 19 year old should be taking out a loan on a $1000 TV. That's absurd. Are the people saying you should do this other 19 year olds?

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

If you truly want to help your credit only get credit/loans on things you can pay off straight away as far as retail products go. Credit can be a bit of a mystery in some ways. It's about debt to max credit ratios. Taking a loan where it will take a while to pay down is bad because you are paying more interest than pricipal. The debt to max loan ratio would be poor.

Why a loan? Just open a credit card. I opened one when I was 19 and had a 2K line of credit and 0% APR for like a year, meaning you will have a year to pay it off before charged interest. Obviously research some good cards but I bet you could get one...and yes, you should start building credit...but don't get carried away and dig yourself too deep.

scitek

Return and buy this, only been a week. Or price match, threaten to return if they don't.
How would I go about doing that with Best Buy? This is technically the same price, just with an extra $300 after the fact. Maybe ask for store credit? Lol

JoRo

I just got a 4K 120Hz 55" Roku TV made by TCL for $385 at Walmart. It was $428 on Rollback, so it was already on sale, but my employee discount took off another 10%. I think final cost was ~$425 after taxes. Doesn't have HDR but I like it so far. Having a Roku built in is incredibly useful and easy to use. Probably the cheapest entry I've seen for inevitable 4k gaming. There were even some Vizio and Samsung sets but they were more in the $600-$800 range, all 55"-60" sets.

00ich

How big of a deal is a UHD premium certification? It means 4k, 10 bit, high brightness and wider color space as far as i understand. Does anything between that and SDR much sense?
It sounds like a good standard, I just don't know if it matters.

whats a better purchase, the vizio p series or the sony x850d? rtings reviews are pretty similar. looking at the 55" of both

input lag on the vizio is great if you have hdr off, but high with it on. on the sony, it does not indicate if the input lag stats they have are with hdr on or off:
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x850d

I understand the vizio 55" is an IPS screen and doesn't suffer from the angle issues that the other sizes do

both are the exact same price. would have an xbox one s and a pretty beefy PC hooked up to (980ti, etc...)

Redlogic

I think the advice you were given makes sense, except maybe they used the wrong verbiage. You don't take a loan but you can buy it with your credit card. At 19, you have no credit history so it's important to start building some. As long as you make your payments, it's not a bad idea to buy this and start to show you can pay your debts and improve your credit score.

MazeHaze

Banned
Yup. I've seen some claiming the Samsung KS8000 (closest equivalent to this set from a competitor) at under 30ms, but Samsumg themselves said it's actually over 80ms. I think this TV is about the best you're gonna do this year for HDR gaming at a decent price. Vizio has been pretty good about post launch support too, so I wouldn't be surprised to see the input lag get a bit lower after they do more HDR optimizations.

EDIT: And for those interested in the KS8000 series... that's an IPS panel with poor local dimming, so don't expect a great HDR image on the set especially in a dark room. The Vizio in comparison is a full array LED with very good blacks and that's necessary for the increased brightness that comes with HDR.
Actually rtings did a very in depth test on the ks8000 which they explained in detail and got a measurement of 22ms input lag while confirming an hdr source via measuring the gama curve. Also, the ks8000 is not an IPS panel, and HDR looks great on it. Blacks aren't quite as good as the Vizio in a dark room, but it does get brighter.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/samsung-40-class-40-diag--led-2160p-smart-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5133600.p?id=bb5133600&skuId=5133600&ref=212&loc=1&ksid=f53178cb-b8c2-4a34-ac6b-b30f275cf5c0&ksprof_id=16&ksaffcode=pg70061&ksdevice=c&gclid=Cj0KEQjw9IS-BRC4qZXagbLs6uMBEiQAYHBh-2f-aNac5eYEKVNqi7KanUr7Vw7ZiKd90WIcUqG_Q_EaAu0s8P8HAQ

How is this TV guys? My room is small. Right now i have a 32 inch and it's a good size for my room. But with the upcoming 4k consoles i was thinking about getting something like this. But it maybe a little too big for my room lol. But this is the smallest 4k TV i found with HDR. Anyone here own this TV set or some of you TV tech savy posters can give me some insight on this set. Thanks.

Also are lags really bad for 4k TV? I play some good amount of fighting games (SFV, MK, etc.). So Input lags are important for me. I know the 2015 models had very good input lag (atleast compared to 4k TVs).

Kusagari

Can someone explain how to use HDR on this set with the one s? I have it but when I went through the one S setup it said I didn't have HDR and all that.

MazeHaze

Banned
Looks good for the price as long as you aren't looking for great HDR and don't mind a little judder in movies. Input lag is very low.

Edit: to gunslinger.

And to kusaragi, make sure you set the hdmi input on the tv to enable hdr. The setting is called different things on different brands, something like "full uhd color".

Looks good for the price as long as you aren't looking for great HDR and don't mind a little judder in movies. Input lag is very low.

Edit: to gunslinger.

And to kusaragi, make sure you set the hdmi input on the tv to enable hdr. The setting is called different things on different brands, something like "full uhd color".

thanks man!

2016 Vizio IPS panels are:

Vizio P 55" IPS

Vizio M 60" IPS

It's really weird how inconsistent their TVs are. For the P series line:

50" is VA, 60hz.

55" is IPS, 120hz.

Bigger sizes are VA, 120hz.

It's annoying if you're deciding between the 50" and 55" since they're much closer in price and size than the other models, and it can be hard to view them in a store in a way to really tell the difference between the panels and refresh rates.

You damned Americans and your fantastic deals on consumer electronics. No fucking chance we'd get that kind of value here in the old country.

The $300 gift card makes this an absolutely amazing deal. I was able to get this unit when it came out this year for $899. Awesome set.

Top Bottom