• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ is the first Nintendo Switch game to be portable-mode only

I hope portable-only becomes its own large and lively selection of titles on the Switch. It can be a scene where DS and 3DS type games can thrive. I think this can be jusified to the market especially with tiered pricing.

I want Switch to offer a range of experiences when it comes to scope and types of games made. Not just "home console on the go" stuff.

Metzhara

I do believe this is a problem if handled incorrectly.
The typical consumer will need to be informed ahead of time which form the game runs in. By that I mean before the purchase the title at Point of Sale.
They should create a different colored case or something outside of just a swath across the front of the marketing.

Discussing the very topic of the Switch to "average gamers", not surprisingly many are curious about 'what it does'. I wonder if we get more and more isolated from the core audiences as time goes on. I definitely am now more curious than ever at whether or not the Switch will do well.

I hope portable-only becomes its own large and lively selection of titles on the Switch. It can be a scene where DS and 3DS type games can thrive. I think this can be jusified to the market especially with tiered pricing.

I want Switch to offer a range of experiences when it comes to scope and types of games made. Not just "home console on the go" stuff.
Yeah you can have games like pokemon art academy and Kirby's canvas curse still be made for the switch this way when they werent possible otherwise

Oresama

This is great news. Games shouldn't be constrained to work on all modes if they just don't work on one (or work just in one). Glad to see this happen and so soon too.

Exactly my thoughts.

I made a post weeks ago hoping for console mode only games that would otherwise never make it to the console without the power of docked mode, and a Nintendo fanboy was like...

whiguyblink.gif

jonno394

Game looks kind of interesting, supports English too. Might pick it up if the whole multiple eShop region accounts on one console thing works out OK. I'm OK with some games being portable mode only as long it's made very clear upfront.

English support is a big deal, gonna try the android demo and then if I enjoy it, I might dabble in multi region eshop shenanigans to get this!

edit - yeah i'm totally buying this for the Switch. Love the slick interface and UI, music and gameplay is, as with most good rhythm games, addictive as fuck!

It will be interesting to see how this develops over the lifetime of the Switch. Not setting restrictions might seem like a good idea initially to bring developers in, but long term the library could be filled with titles only working in either docked or portable mode, not both, resulting in the system USP being lost.

This is just pure speculation & Nintendo might have restrictions, but if not & developers become lazy with ports it could easily lose the USP. At which point the system is just receiving lackluster versions of other console/mobile games, sales drop & games stop coming anyway. The Wii U controller, PSP remote play, motion controls, kinect & even PS backwards compatibility to an extent all died out once the novelty turned into extra development time for little returns.

Like I said this is just pure speculation, there's not enough information yet, but what if an IP like Skyrim suddenly announced it wasn't available in portable mode? I was burned buying the Wii U, I might get the Switch but I would like to know the clear guidelines on this.

jnWake

I don't see this being an issue. This particular case is a heavily touchscreen based game with multiple inputs and positioning so it's impossible to replicate on the TV.

Now, regular games that use buttons as input have no reason to ever forbid TV mode since at the very least they always output at 720p. Worst case is simply getting the exact same game from handheld to TV.

Making an only docked game also shouldn't be an issue since you can mostly downgrade the resolution to 540p or something if really needed. Although there could be some heavily intensive CPU games that would be docked only.

In any case, of the many titles announced for Switch this is literally the first one to not support TV mode so it's hard to speculate about the future of this feature.

jts

...hate me...
It will be interesting to see how this develops over the lifetime of the Switch. Not setting restrictions might seem like a good idea initially to bring developers in, but long term the library could be filled with titles only working in either docked or portable mode, not both, resulting in the system USP being lost.

This is just pure speculation & Nintendo might have restrictions, but if not & developers become lazy with ports it could easily lose the USP. At which point the system is just receiving lackluster versions of other console/mobile games, sales drop & games stop coming anyway. The Wii U controller, PSP remote play, motion controls, kinect & even PS backwards compatibility to an extent all died out once the novelty turned into extra development time for little returns.

Like I said this is just pure speculation, there's not enough information yet, but what if an IP like Skyrim suddenly announced it wasn't available in portable mode? I was burned buying the Wii U, I might get the Switch but I would like to know the clear guidelines on this.
We don't know the guidelines but we do know that every god damn game announced for the Switch works or is supposed to work with both modes, except for a single game that needs touchscreen to function.

That's a good start to try and guess the guidelines.

I don't see this being an issue. This particular case is a heavily touchscreen based game with multiple inputs and positioning so it's impossible to replicate on the TV.

Now, regular games that use buttons as input have no reason to ever forbid TV mode since at the very least they always output at 720p. Worst case is simply getting the exact same game from handheld to TV.

Making an only docked game also shouldn't be an issue since you can mostly downgrade the resolution to 540p or something if really needed. Although there could be some heavily intensive CPU games that would be docked only.

In any case, of the many titles announced for Switch this is literally the first one to not support TV mode so it's hard to speculate about the future of this feature.

Reportedly the CPU runs at the same speed in all modes, so this might not be an issue.

Cuburt

I always assumed that the option would be left to developers.

It's cool to see a developer not afraid to bring a game to the platform due to it being best suited to one configuration. That kind of thinking could really give developers many more options for what type of games they can bring to the platform.

So, this far we already have two titles breaking the hybrid promise:

1,2 Switch (no handheld mode)
Voez (no TV or joy-cons; touch-only)

Not sure how I feel about this. I am going to use the NS as a handheld almost exclusively. I suppose Nintendo can create a category for mobile touch-only games.

On another note, the FAQ says it supports English so strange it is not launching in other regions as well.

Calm Mind

Instead of being asinine try to see it from my perspective.

Nintendo have gone to pains to say Switch is a home console first, with a portable element. They've stated this multiple times.

If a game developer will not, or cannot, make the game playable both ways then it shouldn't be on the console.

Its a console, not a Nintendo iPad. If you want mobile games then use your phone.

Imagine this conversation:

"This is a switch game but its handheld only"

"Then why is it called switch? What am i switching to?"

This is the Pandora's box Nintendo has opened with this. How can they separate games that don't work one way?

Its not an overreaction at all.

I assure you that these problems (however small) are all your own. You're proof that wild imaginations and the Internet forums are the closest thing to a combination of prescription pills and alcohol*.

*I also fixed your typos btw.

Matt

I do believe this is a problem if handled incorrectly.
The typical consumer will need to be informed ahead of time which form the game runs in. By that I mean before the purchase the title at Point of Sale.
They should create a different colored case or something outside of just a swath across the front of the marketing.

Discussing the very topic of the Switch to "average gamers", not surprisingly many are curious about 'what it does'. I wonder if we get more and more isolated from the core audiences as time goes on. I definitely am now more curious than ever at whether or not the Switch will do well.
There are icons on the box.

Not sure how I feel about this. I am going to use the NS as a handheld almost exclusively. I suppose Nintendo can create a category for mobile touch-only games.

On another note, the FAQ says it supports English so strange it is not launching in other regions as well.

I don't see this as a breaking of the hybrid promise at all. The console itself is a hybrid. Each piece of software doesn't need to be. The Switch is a one stop shop for a huge range of software experiences. Each of those experiences can be unique.

Shizuka

Instead of being asinine try to see it from my perspective.

Nintendo have gone to pains to say Switch is a home console first, with a portable element. Theyve stated this multiple times.

If a game dev will not, or cannot, make the game playable both ways then it shouldnt be on the console.

Its a console, not a nintendo ipad. If you want mobile games then use your phone.

Imagine this conversation:

"This is a switch game but its handheld only"

"Then why is it called switch? What am i switching to?"

This is the pandoras box nintendo has opened with this. How can they separate games that dont work one way?

Its not an overreaction at all.

The "Switch" aspect is a gimmick, it's not everything. The Wii pushed motion controls, but there were still traditional games that didn't require it at all. Nintendo pushing a gimmick that not all developers take advantage is not something new, it's actually older than something like the PlayStation brand itself.

Glass Joe

This is good news. There's plenty of portable style games that benefit from touch functionality, where gameplay would be totally compromised on the TV.

However, I would not want to see this the other way around (dock only games).

Zee-Row

Banned
I wonder what happens with Mario Maker if they decide to port it? It would be difficult to edit stages with a controller. So I wonder if edit mode would be a portable mode only feature?

spiritfox

I wonder what happens with Mario Maker if they decide to port it? It would be difficult to edit stages with a controller. So I wonder if edit mode would be a portable mode only feature?

Mario Maker supports a Wiimote mode so I guess they can replicate it with the IR sensor?

Mario Maker supports a Wiimote mode so I guess they can replicate it with the IR sensor?

Mario maker is a grid-based system, which makes it easy to maneuver with just buttons in TV mode, but I would like to see a World of Goo solution where you can use the touch screen while in tablet mode.

Gxgear

Not all the songs will be available out of the box right? They're still constantly updating the mobile version.

AgeEighty

On one hand this seems to go against the central purpose of the console and complicates its functionality unnecessarily.

On the other, people do seem to prefer a different type of game on a console vs. on a portable, so this is just filling a potential demand on the system. Plus it has that touchscreen that would go underutilized otherwise.

I think it'll be fine as long as they very clearly demarcate these games in the eShop.

erawsd

I can spin this into a "Switch has its core definition, but its not chained by it."

But the more GOOD mobile games you can attract to Switch, the better.

You can spin however you want. The point is the ability to "switch", the very namesake of the console, may not apply to all things. I'm not saying its a bad thing, just... weird given how this thing has been marketed.

Peléo

Even though 1,2 Switch can't be played in handheld mode, I feel Tabletop mode keeps the "play wherever you want" aspect of the console. Same can't be said about Voez.

Cuburt

I think it'll be fine as long as they very clearly demarcate these games in the eShop.
Nintendo is already way ahead of the potential confusion:

At the bottom of the box, they show how many players it is compatible with in each configuration ( or if it is not compatible at all like 1 2 Switch in handheld mode) and it even says Bomberman is compatible with the Pro Controller. You don't even have to understand Japanese to be able to figure that out.

eShop labeling should be exactly the same.

Some people need to pump the brakes on the outrage. GAF didn't accidentally stumble on some marketing oversight that undermines the console.

Peléo;231165205 said:
Even though 1,2 Switch can't be played in handheld mode, I feel Tabletop mode keeps the "play wherever you want" aspect of the console. Same can't be said about Voez.

You can still play Voez sitting on your couch in front of the TV.

You can spin however you want. The point is the ability to "switch", the very namesake of the console, may not apply to all things. I'm not saying its a bad thing, just... weird given how this thing has been marketed.

Here's how it's marketed. It has games can switch inbetween being on the TV and being out of the TV.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yup I think this is a bad thing. I don't know why anyone could say this is a positive when it goes against everything they said about the Switch.

Its a good thing because it gives developers freedom to choose how they want to release their game.

Not allowing touch-screen only game to be on Switch is as stupid as saying Sony cant allow indie/short burst games on the Vita because they advertised it as console-gaming-on-the-go.

BooJoh

I can't see much reason to have a TV-mode only game unless it requires a USB accessory. If a game absolutely can't run on the system without the extra power from docking, wouldn't it likely run rather poorly even when docked?

On the other hand, I welcome the occasional game that requires taking the system out of the dock for innovative gameplay.

In addition to touch-only games, handheld-only titles might allow for things like this:

Monger

Its a good thing because it gives developers freedom to choose how they want to release their game.

I have a hard time seeing the negative. I don't know why anyone would want Nintendo to place artificial constraints on the types of games that can be offered simply because of the name of the console or for marketing reasons.

It's not like Nintendo is known for the overwhelming number of third party titles showing up on its consoles. I would think more people would be mad if touchscreen only games weren't allowed.

Peléo

You can still play Voez sitting on your couch in front of the TV.

That's a good point.

The Switch as a versatile console which allows different kinds of display configurations and input methods. As it has been true for almost Nintendo hardware, not all games and developers will take advantage of its uniqueness. Even those who do may build their game mechanics entirely on one aspect (Touch-Screen, HD Rumble or motion controls) making it hard to simultaneously embrace the other available features.

Yup I think this is a bad thing. I don't know why anyone could say this is a positive when it goes against everything they said about the Switch.

I feel the philosophy of Switch is more one sided, take your console games on the go.

I also feel this just adds another market that doesn't really harm the switch. It's a market they otherwise would not have gotten do to the lack of a comparable control scheme to touch screen support when docked.

ggx2ac

Positive:

Games available that couldn't be played on a TV due to needing a touchscreen.

Negative:

Undermines a marketing message.

---

All this is reminding me of are people that say the Switch isn't a handheld because NoA markets it as a home console and, the Switch isn't a handheld because the 3DS will apparently have a successor because Nintendo haven't said that the Switch is a successor to the 3DS.

The Switch being a hybrid allows it to do many things that don't fit into one concept: Home console or handheld. It shouldn't have to be restricted because of some marketing message.

Otherwise, we may as well follow one guy that said the Switch is a gimped handheld because you can't use motion controls (Swinging the Joy-Cons) in handheld mode while playing ARMS.

ggx2ac

VOEZ would be unplayable with buttons

On that same note. Just like how you can't play VOEZ on the TV because it requires touchscreen controls.

You can't play Just Dance in handheld mode because it uses motion controls.

So the argument that the marketing message is undermined because you can't "switch" fails because there are games on both ends of the spectrum that require specific controls that the other doesn't have.

Crayolan

It's a good thing because it gives developers more options and lets different types of games come to the system.

It's only a "bad" thing in the eyes of people setting arbitrary rules for the system.

The majority of games will still be playable in all modes. This game isn't because it's designed for the touch screen, which can't be used out of handheld mode.

hatchx

Banned
On that same note. Just like how you can't play VOEZ on the TV because it requires touchscreen controls.

You can't play Just Dance in handheld mode because it uses motion controls.

So the argument that the marketing message is undermined because you can't "switch" fails because there are games on both ends of the spectrum that require specific controls that the other doesn't have.

I don't think it will ever matter to anyone outside of neogaf. The switch concept applies to the idea of different gameplay styles much as it is about games being playable in both modes.

How anyone can spin this a bad way is nuts. Let developers do whatever they went. Let the market respond.

tsumineko

This is such great news. No one should be limited in the way they make games for the Switch, considering just how many different ways there are to use it. Yes, bring on all the games which force you to use it in a certain way, let that creativity flow.

Top Bottom