• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ is the first Nintendo Switch game to be portable-mode only

LordKano

The game in itself isn't really threadworthy, VOEZ was announced in Famitsu a few days ago, but the website just got online and it reveals an important information : the game cannot be played in TV Mode. It's touchscreen only (it's a rhythm game so it makes sense).

This information means that developers have officially the choice between making a game available on both modes, or just choose one. You can probably choose to make a game on docked only too. The "Switch" concept doesn't necessarily apply to all the game.

Source : http://flyhighworks.heteml.jp/games/voez/

I think it's a pretty big news. People thought about how weird some portable games would be if they are forced to be compatible with the docked mode, but it seems they won't be forced at all. Also, it could mean that, in the other way, some heavy AAA games (third-party ones ?) may completely skip the portable mode, since it offers less power than the docked one.

What do you think ?

Always expected some games to be one mode only. (either because of controls or it simply can´t run in portable mode due to processing power)

No surprise here.

heringer

This is a good thing, but I think it will only apply to small, touch only games. I doubt many, if any, games are made to work on TV mode only.

-shadow-

I truly hope that the game and eShop will make this really clear. Because I just know people will make a point out of this.

It's good that they are allowing this for games that use touch input extensively.

But if the touch is optional developers should try to implement ir pointers with the joycons while docked.

This will probably allow an easier transition of franchises that were built with the DS/3DS in mind to find a home on the Switch without having to find some sort of compromise when docked. I think this could give us a lot more varied games going forward, this is good news.

AetherZX

Not liking this news. Makes sense for 1-2 Switch which requires the joycons, but Tabletop Mode in that case is still essentially portable mode. This may be good news for "AAA" titles to take full advantage of docked performance, but a Switch game, imo, shouldn't be sacrificing between two main methods of playing them. That just feels like it defeats the purpose of this concept.

EDarkness

Nintendo doesn't really force developers to do anything, so I thing it's going to be the Wild West on the system. No real standards at all.

Uh oh.

Game Freak just sat up and took notice.

giphy.gif

Please Capcom, please

Not liking this news. Makes sense for 1-2 Switch which requires the joycons, but Tabletop Mode in that case is still essentially portable mode. This may be good news for "AAA" titles to take full advantage of docked performance, but a Switch game, imo, shouldn't be sacrificing between two main methods of playing them. That just feels like it defeats the purpose of this concept.

I'd rather them not constrain the type of games on the system by forcing them all to work both ways.

L~A

I truly hope that the game and eShop will make this really clear. Because I just know people will make a point out of this.

There wouldn't be much of a point to make, since even if you buy just the console and no extras (controllers, etc.), you will be able to run the game without any problem. Not the same as a game requiring a specific controller or anything.

But yeah, there will most definitely be some sort of warning on the Nintendo eShop page.

martino

since when hybrid means everything on it is also hybrid ?
never took it that way (and missed earlier threads)

Synth

Mhmmm I'm not ok with this at all, it's not what the Switch is suppose to be.

Honestly, it sounds like good news to me. I'd rather the option of there being a game you can't play in docked mode, rather than that game be forced to skip the platform, due to the necessities on the control system. Conversely, it may also help some multiplatform games make it across, whereas the docked mode may have made them too weak to consider at all.

Just make sure they're clearly designated as such before purchase.

Calling it, when/if Mario Maker gets a port or a sequel on Switch, they'll set it up so you can play stages in all modes, but you'll have to use handheld mode only when designing courses with the touchscreen.

I doubt we'll see games locked to TV Mode as opposed to games locked to Handheld Mode. The reason for this case is simply the touch controls that TV Mode can not fully replicate, however, everything TV Mode can do Handheld Mode can do as well.

Zedark

I really hope that this won't mean any potential AAA games that come will only work in docked mode, since that would completely kill the attraction of the Switch version of a AAA game. At least we know Skyrim will support both versions, so I am not going to worry about it right now.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
since when hybrid means everything on it is also hybrid ?
never took it that way (and missed earlier threads)

It's still promoted everywhere as a home console that you can take on the go, so having games not working on the big screen (as a home console) kind of goes against the promoted concept.

Maybe for some big games we could have completely different ways to play docked or portable mode.

Like Fallout 4 is as we know it docked but portable mode is more like shelter or I don't know sort of support missions here and there but like different mini games or less graphic heavy. Of course these games would be related and the shelter you'd have build would appear and help you advance in the "bigger" game.

Not sure Fallout is the best example but I always thought it was a part of the Switch concept. Maybe there's still hope :)

Betty

Banned
Ideally every game that's semi important going forward should be playable on the big screen.

Even if it means having to sacrifice full screen or put up with a border like on the SNES Game Boy add on, most games should be playable on our tv's.

Skeletos311

Kind of weid, but I like tha developers aren't being forced to support all modes. I'd rather get a touchscreen only game that's not playable while docked than not get it at all.

A bit concerned by this.

Many folks (including myself at times) have been talking up the switch from the perspective of hopefully being able to play all Nintendo games on both handheld and TV now, and saying goodbye to the days of wishing certain Wii U games were on the 3DS, and vice versa. We'll obviously have to wait and see more games announced from Nintendo to know how this plays out as so far this isn't the case for any first party games, but now the possiblity is there.

The Pokemon example someone brought up already is a good one.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I really think this is a bad precedent to be setting so early on, hopefully this ends up being a quirk of just one title in particular, like those few titles you can't play via Remote Play on PS4

Interesting that touch screen only games can be ok for a home console marketed device. I expected Nintendo to be tighter on keeping a standard for all games. I mean the whole idea of Switch is the snap and take game on the go wherever.

Skeletos311

Calling it, when/if Mario Maker gets a port or a sequel on Switch, they'll set it up so you can play stages in all modes, but you'll have to use handheld mode only when designing courses with the touchscreen.

I think Nintendo would make a controller mode for stubborn people.

Branduil

A bit concerned by this.

Many folks (including myself at times) have been talking up the switch from the perspective of hopefully being able to play all Nintendo games on both handheld and TV now, and saying goodbye to the days of wishing certain Wii U games were on the 3DS, and vice versa. We'll obviously have to wait and see more games announced from Nintendo to know how this plays out as so far this isn't the case for any first party games, but now the possiblity is there.

The Pokemon example someone brought up already is a good one.

Nintendo would not allow a Pokemon game which can't be played docked.

What this does mean is that, for example, something like the level editor in Mario Maker might only be usable in handheld mode.

martino

It's still promoted everywhere as a home console that you can take on the go, so having games not working on the big screen (as a home console) kind of goes against the promoted concept.

i don't expect 3rd party to always use all the hardware/software concepts of a device and neither people putting little thought into it will(help to look into history and other tech stuff) .
But if the op means it don't work at all on tv when mobile mode only...
don't understand why this way.

edit :seen gameplay. now i understand; And now my question is : Is it not better to have this kind of diversity focusing on one feature and working well only with it ?

gogogow

I thought why wouldn't it be possible to play it with buttons? But after looking at gameplay, yeah, it's gonna be very tricky, with bars moving around in realtime.

I think that's very good for games that don't make sense with alternative controls. I loved some of the DSi eShop games and it would be sad to exclude some game ideas just because the devs HAVE to shoehorn in traditional controls.

JoeM86

This does give me more hope for a Pokémon Shuffle version on the Switch, though I'd rather they finagle a way for that to work on the TV too.

It's a bit unusual, though this is what I was expecting before we learned of what the Switch was. Rather than a hybrid device, it seemed we'd be getting a console and a handheld with shared architecture/game library but some exclusives on both.

Fireblend

Banned
This is great news. Games shouldn't be constrained to work on all modes if they just don't work on one (or work just in one). Glad to see this happen and so soon too.

Jawmuncher

So long as the games are priced accordingly it's fine. Voez is a $20 dollar title, so it being portable only isn't really a problem. Now of this was a 50-60 dollar title, I'd start to question it.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
If you listen carefully at this very moment you can hear the army of mobile developers searching for "Switch SDK".

f8325fa191d493e3fdaca02c4890d560.gif

Top Bottom