• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ is the first Nintendo Switch game to be portable-mode only

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm torn about this. On one hand, I'm glad that this will allow many different types of games to come to Switch, even ones that require touch.

On the other hand, I really don't want this to become an avenue for lazy developers to only work on one version of a game and not find a creative/interesting way to make it work both on the TV and portably. Like I fear there will be developers who make something work on the TV and just say "eh, portable mode is too much work" or vice-versa. And that is absolutely not okay.

VOEZ is a game designed for touchscreen devices. It is NOT lazy developer syndrome. Go DL the iOS or Android version (or watch the above videos).

Game is fantastic and deserves more exposure. If I ever buy a Switch, I'll be supporting the devs on this game because it's super well done.

KAL2006

Banned
I don't think anyone, especially Nintendo, is going to lock out a mode just because. I can see it for motion control and touchscreen games, but not for games that could easily work in either mode with small changes. Pokemon can work just fine with buttons only.

Motion games can still be compatible in portable mode in table top form.

I think we will never see exclusive docked games. Only a few exclusive portable games.

VOEZ is a game designed for touchscreen devices. It is NOT lazy developer syndrome. Go DL the iOS or Android version (or watch the above videos).

Game is fantastic and deserves more exposure. If I ever buy a Switch, I'll be supporting the devs on this game because it's super well done.

No, I know this game is not an example of that. I just don't want the ability to do portable-only or TV-only games to be used as a loophole for devs to cop-out and not take advantage of the system's entire selling point.

nynt9

Mhmmm I'm not ok with this at all, it's not what the Switch is suppose to be.

Yeah. A lot of the conversation (and some of the apologetics) surrounding the system was all centered on it being a hybrid. Not having a consistent vision for the system isn't great. This opens the avenue for devs to cop out.

People seem to still be under the impression that performance is weaker in handheld mode but I was of the thought that it was the same and the dock did nothing but provide a TV Output? Which one is correct?

I'm actually pleased that this is the case because it makes Mario Maker a possibility.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I'm torn about this. On one hand, I'm glad that this will allow many different types of games to come to Switch, even ones that require touch.

On the other hand, I really don't want this to become an avenue for lazy developers to only work on one version of a game and not find a creative/interesting way to make it work both on the TV and portably. Like I fear there will be developers who make something work on the TV and just say "eh, portable mode is too much work" or vice-versa. And that is absolutely not okay.

Does making a game work on both portable and docked modes, require significant extra work? Because I feel like this is a default thing and there's no extra work needed for this.

People seem to still be under the impression that performance is weaker in handheld mode but I was of the thought that it was the same and the dock did nothing but provide a TV Output? Which one is correct?

The system overclocks when it's connected to the dock because it has a constant source of power.

Anteo

Gamefreak wouldnt do a portable mode only game.

Now, being gamefreak they will definitely make a game that only runs at portable cloclspeed even on docked mode

Anteo

I'm actually pleased that this is the case because it makes Mario Maker a possibility.

The switch itself can run at a higher clockspeed when on the dock.

Does it do the same if it's just plugged in while in portable mode?

I don't think so. It doesn't really matter anyways, as the screen on the unit itself is 720p. I mean I guess it could downsample, but it doesn't AFAIK.

Does making a game work on both portable and docked modes, require significant extra work? Because I feel like this is a default thing and there's no extra work needed for this.

Maybe the simple idea of making it work doesn't take a lot of effort, but I'd imagine ensuring it runs well and consistently on both does.

Good they get this out of the way now, saves us the endless debate on whether they'd allow a touch-centric game.

There's no reason to be concerned this becomes a trend, either. It's handheld only because it's a touch based game, no other reason. I imagine Nintendo only allows this for games that wouldn't come to the console otherwise.

EBreda

I am worried now. If this means some games are gonna be restricted to docking mode only, concept goes down the drain.

In principle, I'm okay with some being handheld only, though.

Yohane

You can have games in portable mode only?

Not a fan of this decision.

Nintendo should enforce both modes for every game.

I don't wanna see future games where portable mode is disabled.

jts

...hate me...
Wait the Switch has a touchscreen? Isn't this something Nintendo would want to market?

Yes, it has a touchscreen. Nintendo has just been extremely careful with the initial message they want to pass to keep it simple. Also, I'm imagining the focus on touchscreen is mainly for when they want to replace the 3DS with it, which is not quite yet.

jts

...hate me...
You can have games in portable mode only?

Not a fan of this decision.

Nintendo should enforce both modes for every game.

I don't wanna see future games where portable mode is disabled.

Many touchscreen games aren't able to work on docked mode at all, hence why.

patientx

So... thinking about Taiko. Are the joycons LOW LATENCY enough to be able to used as drumsticks instead of an actual drum or touchscreen, or there is no way they will be able to make taiko work with tv mode ? (we can also use the buttons too of course)

brinstar

Unless I'm mistaken, this doesn't sound like the game literally won't display on TV, just that the only inputs that work with the game are touch right? So I don't think we will have to worry about too many cases of this

PSFan

Gamefreak wouldnt do a portable mode only game.

Now, being gamefreak they will definitely make a game that only runs at portable cloclspeed even on docked mode

The main series has been portable only since it has begun. And GameFreak hasn't made a console Pokemon game. Those have been done by other developers. So there's a definite possibility there.

Personally, I'd laugh my ass off if the rumored Stars game does turn out to be portable mode only. GF would pull off the ultimate trolling lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No, I know this game is not an example of that. I just don't want the ability to do portable-only or TV-only games to be used as a loophole for devs to cop-out and not take advantage of the system's entire selling point.

That's fair.

However, I have to ask - what do you see as the system's selling point? To me, the Switch is unique in that it offers developers the option to develop games that can be played on the TV or on a Tablet. So releasing tablet mode only games seems to be taking advantage of the unique situation the Switch presents to developers, no?

Let question here because I'm genuinely curious!

PantsuJo

If you listen carefully at this very moment you can hear the army of mobile developers searching for "Switch SDK".

f8325fa191d493e3fdaca02c4890d560.gif
Lmao

That's fair.

However, I have to ask - what do you see as the system's selling point? To me, the Switch is unique in that it offers developers the option to develop games that can be played on the TV or on a Tablet. So releasing tablet mode only games seems to be taking advantage of the unique situation the Switch presents to developers, no?

For me personally, the selling point is that I can buy games on it and know that I can both get a console experience and take it on the go. The dual nature is what excites me about it. Like I'm super excited to see how they make Fire Emblem work on a home console again, and I'm excited to also be able to take that on the go.

Take away one side of the equation and it's not better or worse than a Wii U or 3DS for me.

spiritfox

There's no reason why non-touchscreen games will be portable only. There's no extra work on the developer's side to make their games work on both modes, the system does it all by itself.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
How would they even be able to do this game without the touch as input?
Or does people mean that this game shouldn't be allowed on because it doesn't work in all configurations?

I personally don't have a problem with it but I can see why some might not like it, though pretending this is the death of the "hybrid" nature might be a bit hyperbolic.

Zafir

I hope this really does just end up being a few small games.

I don't want there to be a precedent of where some games have touch screen controls, which could easily be translated into normal controls. However because of laziness they just don't bother. :X

Bit like how Vita TV ended up being a bit of a mess.

Zedark

That's fair.

I would personally say that an important part of the selling point is that you can play just about (not fully forcing 100%) any game can be played however the gamer likes. If developers start disabling portable mode because they don't want to optimise for the specs it kinda harms this aspect imo.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
This information means that developers have officially the choice between making a game available on both modes, or just choose one. You can probably choose to make a game on docked only too. The "Switch" concept doesn't necessarily apply to all the game.

As far as I know through friends working on Switch that isn't true at all. Joycons support is mandatory, you can't make a game which only works with the Pro Controller so why would you go TV-only?
Where did you get this information? Again, mine is secondhand info so I'm not saying that is (still?) 100% always the case but it makes sense.

Btw, this game's a bit of a special case: it's like Jubeat/Jukebeat, it couldn't work with a controller without some major interface and input changes rendering the whole game different than what it is.

Kouriozan

Incoming Pokémon portable mode only for maximum trolling.
I kinda expect it to be honest, when we knew there would be a touch screen.

There's no reason why non-touchscreen games will be portable only. There's no extra work on the developer's side to make their games work on both modes, the system does it all by itself.

Does the system automatically make the game run well and be optimized in both modes? If not, then yeah it requires a degree of extra effort.

Wereroku

Does the system automatically make the game run well and be optimized in both modes? If not, then yeah it requires a degree of extra effort.

Not really. With the newest leaked dev docs we learned that developers can use the exact same specs for docked as handheld. So if a dev really didn't want to do any additional work they could just run it in handheld mode the entire time. It would just output 720p to the tv. It sounds like there would be literally no extra work that way.

JoeM86

The main series has been portable only since it has begun. And GameFreak hasn't made a console Pokemon game. Those have been done by other developers. So there's a definite possibility there.

Personally, I'd laugh my ass off if the rumored Stars game does turn out to be portable mode only. GF would pull off the ultimate trolling lol.

I don't think you understand why this game is portable only

Strider

I'm not surprised.

I'll only be surprised if a game comes along that is docked mode only... That would be kinda weird if Nintendo ever plan to release a revised, cheaper Switch SKU that is portable/handheld only...

Of course they may never do that or have any interest in that but it is certainly a possibility... And it would make X game that is dock only unplayable for the handheld only audience.

PantsuJo

We can read this news as: "Monster Hunter and new Pokemon games confirmed".

Also, as: "low budget assets and engines at low res confirmed"

Not really. With the newest leaked dev docs we learned that developers can use the exact same specs for docked as handheld. So if a dev really didn't want to do any additional work they could just run it in handheld mode the entire time. It would just output 720p to the tv. It sounds like there would be literally no extra work that way.

I would say outputting to the TV at 720p just because you don't want to put in extra work qualifies as lazy.

It's the same hardware, only upclocked for a higher rez in TV mode. Games don't load in 2 different builds for the 2 modes.

Yes, but we've already seen a situation with Zelda where the games can perform different in terms of reliability in the two modes. So that obviously means making it run well is not as simple as just upping the resolution.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Yes. You can choose to have the same exact performance and display in 720p in TV mode without any tinkering.
Or you can use docked mode's power advantage to make games run better or at higher resolutions, if you want both while still running well then of course you need to optimize performance.

Wereroku

I would say outputting to the TV at 720p just because you don't want to put in extra work qualifies as lazy.

Well yes but I was just saying devs can make a tv mode without any additional effort on their parts. So the concept of Pokemon or any game using traditional controls being handheld only is very unlikely.

Top Bottom