• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VOEZ is the first Nintendo Switch game to be portable-mode only

vareon

If this is a home console, shouldn't it be the other way around (Exclusive dock mode)? Aren't the IR sensors suppose to replicate games with touch?

It's both, and IR won't be able to replicate multi touch or games that require precision/quick touches.

Zedark

If this is a home console, shouldn't it be the other way around (Exclusive dock mode)? Aren't the IR sensors suppose to replicate games with touch?
Well, this game is designed for multiple finger touch, so replicating it with an IR pointer won't work.

Developers need to make it VERY clear if their games can only be played in handheld mode. I'm talking stupidly clear to the point of putting a big notice on the front of the box as big as the game title, because I can see consumers getting pissed off when they go home and find out little Jimmy's new game "won't work" on their television.

Before the July Eurogamer rumor when the Switch wasn't expected to be a hybrid, i was speculating about the possibilities of how a hybrid Nintendo device could work and what type of software support it could get.

One of the things i expected was these type of Mobile games in which the main input method is the touch screen.

Since the Switch OS features can be controlled just with the touch screen, maybe these type of games can be played without the need to attach or carry around the Joycon. So the user could just take only the Switch main body on the go and play a variety of mobile like games.

The cool thing is that the Switch itself has Gyro/Accelerometers and the touch screen so there's a variety of input possibilities. And without the Joycon attached the Switch it's more or less the same size of an 3DS XL, it's even thinner.

giphy.gif

Folks VOEZ pretty much requires touch controls. So it is either the game gets watered down for console release or we dont have it at all. This forum sometimes....

Instead of being asinine try to see it from my perspective.

Nintendo have gone to pains to say Switch is a home console first, with a portable element. Theyve stated this multiple times.

If a game dev will not, or cannot, make the game playable both ways then it shouldnt be on the console.

Its a console, not a nintendo ipad. If you want mobile games then use your phone.

Imagine this conversation:

"This is a switch game but its handheld only"

"Then why is it called switch? What am i switching to?"

This is the pandoras box nintendo has opened with this. How can they separate games that dont work one way?

Its not an overreaction at all.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
I don't think so. It doesn't really matter anyways, as the screen on the unit itself is 720p. I mean I guess it could downsample, but it doesn't AFAIK.

Maybe the simple idea of making it work doesn't take a lot of effort, but I'd imagine ensuring it runs well and consistently on both does.

Its not a PC, so I doubt it will take extra work to ensure it run well and consistently on both.

Mawile

Banned
042.gif

YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT WE'LL GET A PHANTOM HOURGLASS SEQUEL????? STAR FOX COMMAND 2???!?

DS LEVEL SUCCESS CONFIRMED.

Ninja Dom

Developers need to make it VERY clear if their games can only be played in handheld mode. I'm talking stupidly clear to the point of putting a big notice on the front of the box as big as the game title, because I can see consumers getting pissed off when they go home and find out little Jimmy's new game "won't work" on their television.

This game is eShop only so we'll see how the Japanese eShop handles this.

ggx2ac

Your little Jimmy example doesn't work because these days little Jimmy likes playing on a tablet.

jonno394

I can see that too. That would reduce the chance of confusion.

Indeed, I think that's the key thing here especially for people who play their switch 100% as a home console, they expect the games they buy in their local shop to work on the machine when they get home.

dock

I hope, where possible, games best suited to touchscreen will offer an on screen cursor. A good example is something like Picross 3D, which is nicest with a touchscreen, but could work just fine on the TV. Plenty of mouse based games make their way to console with a cursor you steer around.

Is there a good reason why a Switch game should ever be made docked-mode only?
A slight performance difference is a sloppy reason.

The cool thing is that the Switch itself has Gyro/Accelerometers and the touch screen so there's a variety of input possibilities. And without the Joycon attached the Switch it's more or less the same size of an 3DS XL, it's even thinner.
The same as every phone/tablet :)

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

Nintendo have gone to pains to say Switch is a home console first, with a portable element. Theyve stated this multiple times.

If a game dev will not, or cannot, make the game playable both ways then it shouldnt be on the console.

Its a console, not a nintendo ipad. If you want mobile games then use your phone.

This is the pandoras box nintendo has opened with this. How can they separate games that dont work one way?

But it IS an overreaction.

dock

Some people are going to be crazy when Nintendo announces a portable only Switch in 2018.

I'm confident we'll see a mini portable focused switch. :) I don't think it'll be portable only, though, but it won't ship with a dock.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I hope the touch screen is up to the job.

My Nexus 7 can sometimes completely crap out with touch based rhythm games. Nothing worse than a missed note that you hit.

Is that conversation likely to happen for a niche, eshop only, japanese game though? I feel like the people who will be savvy enough to track down Voez will be the same folks who are savvy enough to understand why you can't play in console mode.

Plus, you can still make the argument that you're "Switching" from a home console device with games like Zelda, to a mobile form factor that can play touch-driven games.

Game Freak must be having an orgasm right now on portable only Pokemon.

Eh, I don't think this'll be that common for games that don't require the touch-screen.

Twiforce

I don't see why people think Game Freak would make Pokemon portable-mode only. It's not like Game Freak has some grudge against the very idea of Pokemon being playable on a TV. My understanding is that the reason Pokemon has been handheld-only is that Game Freak considers locally trading your Pokemon with friends to be a vital part of the Pokemon experience. Switch will be able to do that just fine, so what would they gain from not allowing TV output? Especially when such a feature could be a HUGE marketing point.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

If there is no reason why the game cannot be played both docked and in portable mode I agree. However this game requires touch controls. So it is either the audience gets the game as portable only, or doesnt get it at all. Guess which choice sane individuals are gonna choose.

jnWake

Indeed, I think that's the key thing here especially for people who play their switch 100% as a home console, they expect the games they buy in their local shop to work on the machine when they get home.

You are aware the game still works right?

Look at it from my POV

The last time we had a console that was "one thing, not this other thing," we had the PS1, where games were routinely barred from localization because they were 2D.

Tain

I disagree. Not forcing devs to make a game for both power profiles seems roughly as valid to me as not forcing devs to adapt touch controls into IR ones.

If there is no reason why the game cannot be played both docked and in portable mode I agree. However this game requires touch controls. So it is either the audience gets the game as portable only, or doesnt get it at all. Guess which choice sane individuals are gonna choose.

Im just saying, the precedent has been set now. Once one game does it Nintendo will find it very hard to say why other cannot.

Saying "this can only work on a screen" is open to interpretation. All the "Go" games work fine between mobile and console.

I hope, where possible, games best suited to touchscreen will offer an on screen cursor. A good example is something like Picross 3D, which is nicest with a touchscreen, but could work just fine on the TV. Plenty of mouse based games make their way to console with a cursor you steer around.

The same as every phone/tablet :)

I don't think there will be any dock only games, but that will be up to Nintendo to enforce or not. Mario Maker can probably be plenty good enough with gyro alone if you wanted to control it that way, although I suspect the old rumour is from a translator of Mario Maker 3DS who didn't know the whole picture.
I doubt Nintendo will be doing anything in the way of touch only titles, at least not for the first few years, but they could port their mobile titles I suppose.

Uhhh... isn't this huge news, in a way? Like, if this thing can receive ports from iOS/iPad, and developers don't need to worry about building out controls for docked mode, that could lead to a huge rush of mobile content.

Frankly, I'd welcome it. It would be fantastic if the Switch could do double duty as both a system for 'real'/full console-style games and a system for light, mobile-type games. I currently carry around my 3DS and iPad because I like both kinds of games. It would be great if I could just carry my Switch.

I love these little Jimmy hypotheticals on this board which are more projections of the user's thoughts than any actual real person's. No, I think they'll figure it out alright

Uhhh... isn't this huge news, in a way? Like, if this thing can receive ports from iOS/iPad, and developers don't need to worry about building out controls for docked mode, that could lead to a huge rush of mobile content.

Frankly, I'd welcome it. It would be fantastic if the Switch could do double duty as both a system for 'real'/full console-style games and a system for light, mobile-type games. I currently carry around my 3DS and iPad because I like both kinds of games. It would be great if I could just carry my Switch.

Right, I'm all for this. If there's such a glut of these mobile ports that it then becomes confusing and problematic, then give them their own special branding. Call them: "Switch & Go" titles or something, to indicate that they're mobile ports that only work in handheld mode.

Keasar

I feel a bit out of the loop, is the Switch screen multi-touch? Thought it was like the Wii U pad and just had capacity for one input at a time. VOEZ is a game that requires two very often.

I feel a bit out of the loop, is the Switch screen multi-touch? Thought it was like the Wii U pad and just had capacity for one input at a time. VOEZ is a game that requires two very often.

Nope. It's a more modern multi-touch capacitive touch screen, like you'd find in just about any phone nowadays.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I disagree. Not forcing devs to make a game for both power profiles seems roughly as valid to me as not forcing devs to adapt touch controls into IR ones.

How do you adapt multi touch controls into IR ones?

PSFan

I would say Android ports are more likey than iOS, because Android runs on Tegra and iOS doesn't.

Onaco

If the original leaks are true and this is running on a modified Android OS, I would hope Nintendo uses this as a platform that filters out shit Android tablet games and only lets in the best for both indie and big-budget Android developers. I've been hoping for indies to embrace the Switch as an easy platform to port to. Do not disappoint me, Nintendo.

Irminsul

Some arguments in this thread why this is a bad thing are really weird even if you accept "Slippery slope" is a valid one (which it isn't, it's a fallacy).

Especially when talking about Game Freak and such. I mean, what? VOEZ is portable-only because it absolutely needs touchscreen controls. For which Pokémon does that apply?

Wereroku

They aren't forcing them to target two power profiles. If devs want to they can make the game only focusing on the tablet power profile and it will work across handheld and tv mode with no extra work. Now the tv mode will only be 720p but it would not require any extra optimization or qa work.

I mean technically any game using motion controls can't be played in handheld mode. It's not a big deal IMO, with a game like VOEZ where the option is either not have the game at all or have it only work in handheld mode I think this is fine.

Really hope we get more touch rhythm games, Switch seems like a perfect platform for these types of games.

Chorazin

"Oh well sometimes you can play on your giant TV too, so it Switches from a traditional game system with a controller to something like your phone with just the screen. Cool that it can do both, huh?"

jts

...hate me...
Devs still have the incentive to try as they can to make their games work in as many modes as possible = more perceived value = more interest in their games = more sales.

However, it's good that if they absolutely can't do it because of uniqueness of touch controls, they can still have their games published on Switch.

Top Bottom