• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vogue: The Art of the Death Drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIMIC

Banned
My favorite =p

pe3RBni.gif

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Is it little sick that im anticipating great injury videos from idiots who think this is easy to do?

Ecto311

Hands, Body, Attitude, Fish, Labaja

VOGUE

There are very few dance styles capture the attitude, hyper femininity and pure style of Vogue, but not very many people know much about it. But everyone knows its signature dance move: the death drop.

Hyperfemininity? Falling down is HYPER feminine? Everyone? Shit this is the first I have ever seen this. Seems super silly to me. Gotta love people with serious faces doing silly shit I suppose. Reminds me of Monty Python or kids in the hall.

ThisGuy

Huh? It's came out of the drag scene.

Oh, I figured homosexuals from the video and op's post, but didn't clue into drag. Before this thread I always thought Madonna found a popular dance in black subculture or whatever and brought it to attention.

injurai

Banned
Oh, I figured homosexuals from the video and op's post, but didn't clue into drag. Before this thread I always thought Madonna found a popular dance in black subculture or whatever and brought it to attention.

The drag scene is all sorts of lgbtq spectrum, but vogue certainly came out of a multi-ethnic drag scene. Sort of a blending of cultures and men celebrating the embracement of femininity.

royalan

Huh? It's came out of the drag scene.

Not exactly.

Vogue evolved out of the ballroom scene, which itself originated in black/minority communities and was unisex.

Drag as we practice it in the US, has similar origins, so it's easy to get the two mixed up. But, by and large, drag culture borrows from ballroom culture, not the other way around.

injurai

Banned
Not exactly.

Vogue evolved out of the ballroom scene, which itself originated in black/minority communities and was unisex.

Drag as we practice it in the US, has similar origins, so it's easy to get the two mixed up. But, by and large, drag culture borrows from ballroom culture, not the other way around.

Alright, so maybe vogue is coming out of ballroom, but drag and polari both greatly predate ballroom. So I don't think you can say it's not the other way around.

royalan

Alright, so maybe vogue is coming out of ballroom, but drag and polari both greatly predate ballroom. So I don't think you can say it's not the other way around.

Well yeah, drag has technically existed a lot longer than the ballroom scene, but drag also evolves and changes. Drag as we largely know it today (I call it club drag), borrows a lot from ballroom culture.

Of course, there are other styles of drag that predate ballroom that are still popular today. But you won't see those queens death dropping. lol

EDIT:

I honestly couldn't tell myself. Even went to her Instagram. She/he is beautiful.

Inxi is a cis female.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Hands, Body, Attitude, Fish, Labaja

VOGUE

There are very few dance styles capture the attitude, hyper femininity and pure style of Vogue, but not very many people know much about it. But everyone knows its signature dance move: the death drop.

rkGgwwG.gif

One of the most difficult moves in dance, and currently taking popular culture by storm.

yC0HpmP.gif

I mean, I watch these video clips, and I'm amazed at the athleticism.

So GAF, anybody here into Vogue dance/culture?

I thought this was a joke thread with clumsy dancers taking a nasty fall. This is real??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom