• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voidburger has joined Giant Bomb as a Video Producer

Papacheeks

Banned
What's good y'all! We are beyond juiced to (re)introduce to y'all the newest member of the Giant Bomb family, Jess a.k.a. Voidburger. She'll be joining the team as a Video Producer and will continue helping out editing video features, Quick Looks, keep the Hot Takeouts coming, and even more video things! But let's hear from the new girl herself:

• Born and raised in Staten Island, NY but have very little knowledge of Wu-Tang, sadly.
  • My accent comes out when I'm drunk, very tired, or hanging out with other thick-accented NYers.
  • I'm on the wikipedia page for P.T., under Themes and Analysis! Whoa!
  • I'm in the credits for Silent Hill: Book of Memories as "VB". I've been told it's because the concept artists watched my Let's Plays while working to catch up on the lore.
  • I've been involved on-and-off in shadowcast productions of The Rocky Horror Picture Show for over a decade, including playing Janet once, and emceeing the show 4 or 5 times. The callbacks are burned into my mind. I've never actually been in "a real play," though.
  • My pre-Covid job was being a prop fabricator and gamemaster at an escape room! It was a very fun but very stressful job. I learned that kids love you if you give them permission to swear when there's no parents in the room. That's what you get for using me as a babysitter, jerk parents!
  • I like sumo wrestling a lot and have seen it in person once! Covid stopped me from seeing it a second time and I'm very pissed off about it!

I think I know why Vinny, Brad, and Alex left........

Last edited:
No Idea Reaction GIF by Bounce

AJUMP23

I saw the news and thought they could hire a person named “Raphael” and I would probably have a greater chance of knowing who they were.

Hari Seldon

Giant Bomb is a dead podcast and youtube channel that barely cracks 15k views per video, but tries to support a staff like in ye olden days of video game reviews. They are not exactly going to be able to afford a celebrity lol.

Javthusiast

Banned
Giant Bomb is a dead podcast and youtube channel that barely cracks 15k views per video, but tries to support a staff like in ye olden days of video game reviews. They are not exactly going to be able to afford a celebrity lol.

I am pretty sure they still get a sizeable listenership for the podcast. YT isn't how most people listen to podcasts.

ShadowNate

Her old Let's Play Silent Hill series (run in the Something Awful forums, almost a decade ago, maybe more) was really fun and great. Iirc, those were subtitled LPs, and she obviously had put in much effort to make them, and they weren't blind LPs.

I don't know if those videos survive, or if the quality is sufferable for todays' standards.

I caught her live on twitch a couple of years ago... It wasn't as much fun. It was weak commentary, and a blind playthrough. I also watched a stream were she was co-commenting. But I don't really like watching groups of people playing a game and trying to one-up each other with (their supposed) jokes, talking over cutscenes. So that was a let down.

She definitely has proven able to produce great content if you're into that kind of thing (LPs with humor and informative stuff around the game). I just don't know how much of that she's willing to do now.

DarkestHour

Banned
  • Born and raised in Staten Island, NY but have very little knowledge of Wu-Tang, sadly.
  • My accent comes out when I'm drunk, very tired, or hanging out with other thick-accented NYers.
  • I'm in the credits for Silent Hill: Book of Memories as "VB". I've been told it's because the concept artists watched my Let's Plays while working to catch up on the lore.
  • I've been involved on-and-off in shadowcast productions of The Rocky Horror Picture Show for over a decade, including playing Janet once, and emceeing the show 4 or 5 times. The callbacks are burned into my mind. I've never actually been in "a real play," though.
  • My pre-Covid job was being a prop fabricator and gamemaster at an escape room! It was a very fun but very stressful job. I learned that kids love you if you give them permission to swear when there's no parents in the room. That's what you get for using me as a babysitter, jerk parents!
  • I like sumo wrestling a lot and have seen it in person once! Covid stopped me from seeing it a second time and I'm very pissed off about it!

Can you add more detail why the addition of this person leads you to believe why Vinny, Brad, and Alex left?

SaiyanRaoh

Fill me in. I've never of this chick. Do they have history or something? Or is it in the "Just look at her, a thousands words say it all" kind of way?

Papacheeks

Banned
Fill me in. I've never of this chick. Do they have history or something? Or is it in the "Just look at her, a thousands words say it all" kind of way?

She has done work for them before. ANd she seems to have her own youtube channel where she's streaming, playing cool games that I think made her more disable hire for quicklooks.

Click the link takes you to giant bomb and tells you more about her.

She seems cool, if a little woke.

Flatline

Banned
What's good y'all! We are beyond juiced to (re)introduce to y'all the newest member of the Giant Bomb family, Jess a.k.a. Voidburger. She'll be joining the team as a Video Producer and will continue helping out editing video features, Quick Looks, keep the Hot Takeouts coming, and even more video things! But let's hear from the new girl herself:

They pretend to be professional writers and spam y'alls in their sentences. 'Member when Giant Bomb wasn't a joke?

Papacheeks

Banned
Giant Bomb has always been about goofy fun, lighten up.

With the band broken up, thank god for Danny O' dowyer. They all are like un-enthusiastic about games. No more dave lang drunk fun stuff, or watching jeff gertsman flail around in VR. They hire woke people, and have a diversity quaota now. Abby though I like her because her personality was on top of other things why Dan Ryckert left.

There are a lot of inner stuff happening over there because of parent company, and because people like Bakalar who I like but is very woke. Jeff had a kid and I think is having another one, so he's kind of got little time for all the fun shinanigans they use to get into back in the hey day.

The days of what we fell in love with Giant Bomb to me died with Ryan DAVIS. Dan Rickert tried his dammdest to bring the spirit with him, he was to me the best thing that could have happened after Ryan's passing. Those early years with him were fun as fuck. But once he left I think the fun kind of stopped.

They have been trying to figure out the way forward but I think the days of Giant bomb being what it use to be are long gone.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

With the band broken up, thank god for Danny O' dowyer. They all are like un-enthusiastic about games. No more dave lang drunk fun stuff, or watching jeff gertsman flail around in VR. They hire woke people, and have a diversity quaota now. Abby though I like her because her personality was on top of other things why Dan Ryckert left.

There are a lot of inner stuff happening over there because of parent company, and because people like Bakalar who I like but is very woke. Jeff had a kid and I think is having another one, so he's kind of got little time for all the fun shinanigans they use to get into back in the hey day.

The days of what we fell in love with Giant Bomb to me died with Ryan DAVIS. Dan Rickert tried his dammdest to bring the spirit with him, he was to me the best thing that could have happened after Ryan's passing. Those early years with him were fun as fuck. But once he left I think the fun kind of stopped.

They have been trying to figure out the way forward but I think the days of Giant bomb being what it use to be are long gone.

That's all fine and good that you feel that way, but I was responding to someone complaining about a lack of professionalism from an outlet that's always been about goofy fun. I don't think whatever "wokeness" is going on there is infecting much. Gerstmann has always been a bit of curmudgeon more into retro shit. I'm glad Dan's back doing content with Bakalar, their dynamic was always great. And Dan's doing great things on his own now. Honestly, the new GB lineup with Danny and Jan and the Jeffs is doing more for me than the Next Lander crew, even though I liked all those guys more before they broke off.

Fatbody

What’s the point of new hires if they aren’t working from the office together and doing live studio shows anymore. Couldn’t they just do they same thing independently on their own? I find it kind of off-putting when corporate funded media are just doing the webcam stream from your pj’s thing. This isn’t April 2020 anymore. Put on your shoes and go outside.

buenoblue

At 45 years old there's one thing I've learned...that nothing lasts forever. Giant bomb was great, now it's different and not really as fun to me but I had a great time for many years and give thanks to the crew for some good times and plenty of laughs.

jaysius

Banned
Giantbomb is dead, it's an empty husk of what it used to be. All the key players have seen the sinking ship.

The body is rotting and the stench is disgusting.

I can see why Jeff had so many freakout videos when the key players were peacing out.

Had a look at the GB forums to see how they are all reacting to this news. That place is a ghost town, did all the rats bail to nextlander?

SZips

VB is a great addition to Giant Bomb. I was a fan of her let's play stuff from the earliest ones on Something Awful.

O-N-E

I'm going to miss the days of Giant Bomb greatness, especially the VR launch day content. Seeing the lads rip into that clunky awkwardness was a beautiful thing to behold. Feels like a family member dying seeing what it's become.

Jeff Gerstmann hates you.

O-N-E

Had a look at the GB forums to see how they are all reacting to this news. That place is a ghost town, did all the rats bail to nextlander?

I got banned from there after years of being a member because I refused to never again use triggering words like "high-horse" and "virtue-signaling". Which I didn't even say that about anyone on the site, funnily enough. It's just a camp for sycophants and yes-men. There's not much to discuss.

I got banned from there after years of being a member because I refused to never again use triggering words like "high-horse" and "virtue-signaling". Which I didn't even say that about anyone on the site, funnily enough. It's just a camp for sycophants and yes-men. There's not much to discuss.
You think it's bad there, you should see the subreddit.

Bragr

Banned
Is there any game website that hire people that know stuff about games anymore? everyone is just hiring youtube people simply because they have a youtube channel.

Tg89

Man she’s absolutely awful on the Bombcast. Obnoxious, always interrupting, doesn’t seem to know much of anything. The cast has gone downhill so much over the years.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Man she’s absolutely awful on the Bombcast. Obnoxious, always interrupting, doesn’t seem to know much of anything. The cast has gone downhill so much over the years.

Yea, it's sad. But Nextlander has all the OGs and they might be even worse. Ben Pack grew on me but the rest of their hires have been awful. Jan seems like a nice guy but damn that guy is boring.

Tg89

Yea, it's sad. But Nextlander has all the OGs and they might be even worse. Ben Pack grew on me but the rest of their hires have been awful. Jan seems like a nice guy but damn that guy is boring.
Yeah Nexlander isn't much better. It's sad to me cause the best guys from Bombcast (imo, at least - Brad, Dan Ryckert, Jeff) are now split over 3 different podcasts all with different anchors that drag them down (Jess for Bombcast, Alex for Nexlander, Mike for Fire Escape). Very unfortunate.

I had stopped listening to Bombcast after Ben left, then jumped back in and was surprised he was there again, but I guess that was just a filler until they found someone permanent.

Top Bottom