• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking for Dreamcast (yeah, you read that right)

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
volgarDC_logo.png

Hello y'all,

So, I had a conversation with one of the devs behind Volgarr, after he had mentioned in a thread a while back that one of the coders had played around with a build for the Dreamcast. I went into full nerd mode, and we discussed (read: I begged and pleaded) for me being able to purchase a copy of Volgarr for my favorite system.

He did one better. He offered a version for free.

Just to get this out of the way: This is NOT an official release from Crazy Viking Studios. It basically a project one of their programmers did that he didn't want to go to waste.

If you have a Dreamcast, go to http://volgarr.rkd.zone, grab the file, burn it to a CD, and have fun. If you have time, come back and let the awesome folks at Crazy Viking Studios know... well, that they're awesome.

GamerJM

Banned
Uh, on PC couldn't you technically play this on a DreamCast emulator since they're offering the file for free, thus negating the purpose of buying the game?

impact

Banned
Uh, on PC couldn't you technically play this on a DreamCast emulator since they're offering the file for free, thus negating the purpose of buying the game?

I guess if you have no morals yea you could do this

Not like it's expensive on PC and not like emulating games is ever as good as playing them natively.

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Pirating the game isn't legal, downloading this is (apparently, from what I understand).

I'll just quote the dev:
Yeah I would want the word to spread so the effort my buddy put into it wasn't wasted, but in order to make sure it stays "officially un-supported" I can't really advertise it publicly myself. I'm not concerned about lost sales or anything, the audience that would A) like Volgarr + B) would want to play it on Dreamcast specifically + C) have a Dreamcast that can play burned discs + D) are willing to take the time to actually burn it to a disc to play it is not going to be large enough to hurt our sales (and quite possibly our sales could increase from more people hearing about the game or DC players that like it enough wanting to also get it for other platforms later). I mean, lots of people have already got the game for free (from XB1 "Games with Gold") or stupidly cheap (for less than a dollar from a Humble Bundle sale) anyway and we still get steady sales.

GamerJM

Banned
And surely the user has dumped their dreamcast's bios so that they can legally use the emulator, right?

I've actually never used a DreamCast emulator, so I didn't know if you have to dump the BIOS or not (for some emulators, like Dolphin, you don't). So I guess the answer then is no, they can't do that, thanks.

I've actually never used a DreamCast emulator, so I didn't know if you have to dump the BIOS or not (for some emulators, like Dolphin, you don't). So I guess the answer then is no, they can't do that, thanks.
really though it's a lot of work to get the game for free to play on PC when it's cheap very often and been bundled before. Personally, I like the excuse of needing to get my dreamcast out for something new like this but I do already own the game on steam so it's more of a novelty thing

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Volgarr has helped me to understand how weak and feeble my gaming skills are.

I WILL beat the first level sooner or later.
TadkV.gif

Qwark

This is really awesome. If I didn't already own it on Steam, this would've convinced me to buy it for real. I'll keep an eye on what they come up with next.

anyone got a video of this? it sounds rad
There's a short gameplay vid at the link.

Raptomex

Love the art style. Never beat it on Steam but since it's free I got it for DC. It's nice to see it on my CRT television. This is badass.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ah, Dreamcast, will you ever not be awesome? Volgarr's gonna look so dope on my Wega too. I have it on Steam already but will finish it this way.

Top Bottom