• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volgarr the Viking |OT| RISE, 16-BIT HARDCORE NOSTALGIA!

Just got ending A (and B before that). Took me 1:38 with 11 deaths. I played very, very slowly and cowardly. Couldn't risk it with lives being limited...

Where's my Volgarr 2? :p

The first time I beat the alternative level path it only took me about an hour total.

The Valkyrie path really isn't that much harder. It's really just memorizing a new set of levels once the normal path has taught you all the controls. You find some extra lives in the levels and If you know the location of Thor's Hammer in each area, you get another free hit that way.

Agreed, it was harder but not much more. And yeah, hammers really help. Too bad I didn't know about them the first time through.

Like the best so-called "retro" 2D games of late, this traces out an alternate history of gaming where the arcades never died and 3D gaming never existed.

I also like there's almost no randomness, so no cheap or unfair deaths, which isn't true of many classics.

EDIT: and that video is horrible, but if it attracts new Volgarr players, who cares.

Ziophaelin

While it's awesome to see a Volgarr video getting 1 million+ views it's just because it's Pewdiepie. He's actually the most subbed person on Youtube, Zio, but I find him extremely obnoxious.

Good exposure nonetheless though!

I actually never heard of the man until that video popped up on my radar, good to know what gaf thinks of him though.

Uh, you guys. What the fuck is a Warrior Spirit?!

I just got it, and there was a reference to this song. Which was also done in Shadow Warrior this year.

EDIT: I just shouted FUCK YES as I defeated the first boss in Volgarr. I don't ever swear that much out loud.

ArjanN

Uh, you guys. What the fuck is a Warrior Spirit?!

I just got it, and there was a reference to this song. Which was also done in Shadow Warrior this year.

EDIT: I just shouted FUCK YES as I defeated the first boss in Volgarr. I don't ever swear that much out loud.

If you collect three more chests without getting hit after you get the fire sword, you get warrior spirits, which after you beat the level let you go through an alternative (harder) level path. (climb up where the statue is on the screen where your gold piles up)

This path has limited lives. (the number of warrior spirits you pick up)
If you can stay on this path without running out of lives you unlock the hidden 7th level and true final boss.

If you collect three more chests without getting hit after you get the fire sword, you get warrior spirits, which after you beat the level let you go through an alternative (harder) level path. (climb up where the statue is on the screen where your gold piles up)

If you can stay on this path without running out of lives you unlock the hidden 7th level and true final boss.

Well, shit. I'm guessing that's for when you've mastered the game and want to do a kind of new game plus for the true ending or something. Very cool idea tying it into the health points.

ArjanN

Well, shit. I'm guessing that's for when you've mastered the game and want to do a kind of new game plus for the true ending or something. Very cool idea tying it into the health points.

Yeah, pretty much. It's really not that much harder though once you've beaten the game normally.

ArjanN

Limited lives change everything.

It's really not that bad. With the extra lives you pick up you can still die once or twice every level and make it to the end. Every sub-level also has a Thor's blessing which gives you another free hit.

IMO level 2 is the hardest level in both paths.

Giant Bomb sold me on this, tried it out today.

Man... I figured the checkpointing was going to be the difficult part of the game, but I'm having way more trouble getting used to the jumping. I keep forgetting that I can't jump a tiny step in front of me, because the controls are all Ghosts and Goblins.

Great game though. Will continue bashing my head against it.

conman

Giant Bomb sold me on this, tried it out today.

Man... I figured the checkpointing was going to be the difficult part of the game, but I'm having way more trouble getting used to the jumping. I keep forgetting that I can't jump a tiny step in front of me, because the controls are all Ghosts and Goblins.

Great game though. Will continue bashing my head against it.
The jumping mechanics quickly become second nature. There are workarounds for controlling your jumps (second jump cancels the motion of the first, and you can switch/cancel directions. Learning how to manage falls, and knowing how to use walls/edges to stop your forward motion are also key). It's amazing how tight, complex, and smart basic mechanics can become when you edit out all the crap of most big-budget action games.

I just finally got to 4-1 (I haven't been using warps) and knowing how to gauge and control your jump distance is key to progress in this stage.

Grief.exe

Holy shit! That is awesome!

Can't wait to get this game!

Alric

Fuck...I want this game so bad. Hope Shahid is working on securing a Vita version.

I definitely want a vita version too. I can only play so often at home on my computer. My vita however is with me at work where I spend most of my day.

JEKKI

whooo~!!! I beat it!!

again!

got the ending B! after none of yallz told me how to do it!!!

o_O

now to get ending A!

I love this game it's so good!!

TnK

1) Is this game good?

2) Did the game do well? Oldschool games with oldschool brutal difficulty and mechanics should be a thing.

Grief.exe

1) Is this game good?

2) Did the game do well? Oldschool games with oldschool brutal difficulty and mechanics should be a thing.

Yes

Yes

The latter I am assuming since it is Indie, released on Steam, and has great mechanics. These things tend to sell themselves on the platform. Apparently, once you get over the learning curve and the first couple of levels, the game becomes more tame

JEKKI

I love this game it's so good!!

1) Is this game good?

o_O seriously???

let me make an example out of you;

Limited lives change everything.
do limited lives change anything?

IMO level 2 is the hardest level in both paths.
IYO, is level 2 the hardest?

Looks good would play if PS4.
would u play the game if PS4?

Just beat the game, was fun.
did you beat the game? was it fun?

TnK

Yes

Yes

The latter I am assuming since it is Indie, released on Steam, and has great mechanics. These things tend to sell themselves on the platform. Apparently, once you get over the learning curve and the first couple of levels, the game becomes more tame
Cool will buy the game then. Learning that these games do well really make me happy.

Haunted

Looking to go for some of the Steam achievements, which level would you guys say is the shortest (to get the "beat a world in under 4 minutes" one)?

Kalnos

Banned
Looking to go for some of the Steam achievements, which level would you guys say is the shortest (to get the "beat a world in under 4 minutes" one)?

The first one is pretty easy. I can do it in 2:50 pretty much every time and I know there are better times.

Haunted

The first one is pretty easy. I can do it in 2:50 pretty much every time and I know there are better times.
I wish you wouldn't have said that since that's the only one I tried to run through as fast as I could yet didn't get it. :D

Alright!, it's a challenge!

Kalnos

Banned
I wish you wouldn't have said that since that's the only one I tried to run through as fast as I could yet didn't get it. :D

Alright!, it's a challenge!

The real trick is just never getting hit once you have the flame sword and only going for chests/mjolnir power ups that are in your direct path. (So, I would skip the first mjolnir in stage 1)

There are lots of enemies where you can reduce the time you spend fighting them depending on their positioning. Example: There's a point indoors where you can throw a spear at one of the plants, spin attack into a downward attack before it can even attack once.

Otherwise it's mostly just running as fast as possible and skipping as much as possible. Be sure to jump on and off of ropes as you're climbing them to skip traps and move faster. Roll down cliffs.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Will try to finally play it this week-end, reading through the manual now, so awesome! :)

How long (aprox) is a normal run?

TnK

o_O seriously???

let me make an example out of you;

do limited lives change anything?

IYO, is level 2 the hardest?

would u play the game if PS4?

did you beat the game? was it fun?
My bad dude, I jumped straight and asked without reading the thread.

What is the best way to beat the game? Keep the window open at all times? Also, I beat the first boss with the flame sword, but did not find the alternate path.

Incredible game btw, it is a TON of fun.

TnK

For the oddest reason, when the game told me it would't save, I expected it to give me a password.

Also, I find level 2 to be much easier than 1. A response to the post above.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I've reached the first boss a couple of times. Sadly I had no shield or anything left and got roflstumped pretty bad ;_;

90DC32F841FC9FD7635C816334517E549DF1BF62

sooo fucked

The game is rather hard, I have to admit, and it took some time to get into the controls. Jumping in this game kind of reminds me of La mulana. It helped a lot when I found out I could stop a jump in air by double jumping with no direction

Very addictive, but I really wish I could continue after quitting :/

JEKKI

u can also switch directions w/ double jump,

so if a platform is ahead of you and seems a little far for single jump, but too close for double,

jump back a bit, then jump forward.

also on ropes, u can jump away, throw a spear, and jump back onto the rope,

really useful is some situations thruout the game.

Nabs

For the oddest reason, when the game told me it would't save, I expected it to give me a password.

Also, I find level 2 to be much easier than 1. A response to the post above.

You can warp by walking left at the start of each map.

gblues

Banned
I have a 25% off coupon for this game. PM me a link to your Steam profile if you want it. Coupon is good until Nov 15th.

Taken by hwateber

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
When you load back into the game, walk to the left. When the first stage loads, continue walking to the left. Keep repeating until you're where you were.

Ok, I haven't restarted it yet, I just assumed you had to start all over again based on the message you get when quitting.

Good to know! :)

ArjanN

You can continue? That is great to hear. Is it also possible to practice stages for ending A?

No, you can only warp to the normal (crystal) levels.

You can get to an alternate valkyrie level from every normal crystal level, but unless you do all the alternate valkyrie levels you won't unlock the 7th level/true final boss.

Just beat the game the normal way first, by that point you should be much more familiar with the controls, the enemy/boss patterns etc. After that the Valkyrie path isn't that much harder. Much like the normal path a lot of the difficulty is frontloaded.

TnK

No, you can only warp to the normal (crystal) levels.

You can get to an alternate valkyrie level from every normal crystal level, but unless you do all the alternate valkyrie levels you won't unlock the 7th level/true final boss.

Just beat the game the normal way first, by that point you should be much more familiar with the controls, the enemy/boss patterns etc. After that the Valkyrie path isn't that much harder. Much like the normal path a lot of the difficulty is frontloaded.

I see. Regarding Valkyrie levels, I still have no proper idea on how to access them. Also, is it possible to farm the lives in normal mode?

KarmaCow

I see. Regarding Valkyrie levels, I still have no proper idea on how to access them. Also, is it possible to farm the lives in normal mode?

You need to collect chests without losing equipment. After you get the Flame Sword, every third(?) chest you open with all your equipment intact will net you a Warrior Spirit which act as lives in the Valkyrie stages. So since chests are finite, you can't farm them but you can keep earning them in the Valkyrie stages themselves.

TnK

You need to collect chests without losing equipment. After you get the Flame Sword, every third(?) chest you open with all your equipment intact will net you a Warrior Spirit which act as lives in the Valkyrie stages. So since chests are finite, you can't farm them but you can keep earning them in the Valkyrie stages themselves.

What if I keep replaying the first stage and collect the lives? Or does the game not save the amount of lives picked up on a normal play through when the game is closed?

dmr87

Congratulations, you are
Super Player

8sy.png

End level spoiler,
Didn't expect another level, Yggdrasil looked really nice
. 14 hours playtime for €11,99, I'd say that's good value.

ArjanN

What if I keep replaying the first stage and collect the lives? Or does the game not save the amount of lives picked up on a normal play through when the game is closed?

No you can't farm lives that way. It's only what you pick up in that specific playthrough.

Congratulations, you are
Super Player

End level spoiler,
Didn't expect another level, Yggdrasil looked really nice
. 14 hours playtime for €11,99, I'd say that's good value.

11 deaths, guess you didn't get the achievement for dying less than 10 times. :p

Also, F12 in Steam takes screenshots...

Top Bottom