• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Volition won't back down to negative feedback on Saints Row reboot trailer - says its just a shock reaction

cormack12

Gold Member
Source: https://www.videogameschronicle.com...ding-fans-as-volition-says-it-wont-back-down/

THE NEW GAME'S REVEAL TRAILER CURRENTLY HAS MORE DISLIKES THAN LIKES ON YOUTUBE

Despite this, developer Volition has made it clear that it isn’t going to change the vision it has for the game based on the initial reaction to the trailer.

After responding to a follower with a gif saying “haters gonna hate” and being told it was letting down the fanbase, the official Saints Row Twitter account replied: “We are not backing down on this game. We get it, it’s new and it’s a shock reaction to a reboot like no other.

GCQSb2.jpg

FWIW, in the trailer thread, I said the small snippet of gameplay 15-20s actually looked ok and I'd just ignore the weird characters like I did in WD2. More about the arrogance and PR on that tweet to be honest. As soon as you get into principles and start blaming the reaction on the fans then..........

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Welp now they can expect the battering ram.

Would have been a better decision to NOT respond to the criticism.

I don't like what I've seen so far, but I support devs making what they want.
I am sure that social network person is going to get schooled soon within the company.

It is such a shame

I disliked everything I saw. 1 and 2 came out and were competition with GTA. They went the goofy way and said they would be back to the grit. They are not

It is Fortnite, it is Watch_Dogs, it is GotG, it isn't Saints Row. Really should have just given it a different name at this point. It is only Saints Row in name, to tag onto the franchise.

I'll play it when it is free in Game Pass

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
The Twitter responses look really overdefensive. Take that person away from the computer. Someone will always shit on your game on Twitter, it's never worth responding to.

Game looks bad, though. You could've called it literally anything else and nobody would notice. Not a good thing for a franchise reboot.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
They should have gone all in

There's nothing more immersion breaking than playing as a woke zoomer and building for profit businesses

I hope i can set up social welfare programmes instead :messenger_weary:👌
Everyone is being way to quick on the draw. It sounds like it's self aware of all this and taking a satirical approach to me. Let's actually see how it handles this stuff instead of acting crusty the second we see young people

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The Twitter responses look really overdefensive. Take that person away from the computer. Someone will always shit on your game on Twitter, it's never worth responding to.

Game looks bad, though. You could've called it literally anything else and nobody would notice. Not a good thing for a franchise reboot.
Well it's not that it's just few people hating it:

Saints Row Reboot - Reveal Trailer | gamescom 2021 - YouTube

Saints Row - Announce Trailer - YouTube

I don't think I have ever seen such backlash from announcement trailer....and that it's a beautiful thing.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Have I missed something? They've barely shown anything of the game? Why is everyone assuming it won't have some of the same goofy elements?

It's a trailer. Let's wait until they explain what the game actually is. It looked like it had the potential to be just as silly / dumb as the others. Cmon, the guy drives a bike into a car, launches the bike into a group of people, and then lands perfectly fine in the car. Then there's a big ass rocket launcher.

It all seems pretty Saints Row to me. I think people are just mad it wasn't in-your-face irreverent. There will be other trailers. There will be more info. Everyone needs to calm down a bit and wait and see.

stn

It does look very Fortnite-y to me but I'll wait to judge the finished product. That being said, I do prefer it when action games are on the more serious and/or realistic side. Young adults with student loans just doesn't do it for me. They can be homosexual, or people of color, that's all cool. But I just want the vibe to be serious.

I've seen many people on the internet say "oh, its because they're black isn't it?" which I think is not fair at all and such a cop-out conclusion. San Andreas is an amazing game, for example, and nobody has ever cared that CJ is black. Hell, as a white person, I wouldn't even want CJ to be white.

Top Bottom