• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox reporter pushing for another Youtube Adpocolypse, over a channel that is already almost entirely demonetized.

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
The shirt is anti-social. If you wear it in public people are going to think negative things about you. The bigots (there are plenty) and In-groups (in on the origin of the shirt, albeit the extreme minrotiy) will like it though, no one else.
That says more about people in the street than the person wearing a garment.

Judging people in this way for what they choose to wear is asinine.

Would you do the same for someone choosing to wear a red-baseball cap with a slogan on it?
Would you do the same for someone choosing to wear a hijab?

What is really being demonstrated here is the observer's own prejudice being projected onto others and attempting to hold those others to account for it.
A society that is intolerant of simple garments shows that it is not the garment or the person wearing them that is the anti-social one.
A slippery slope indeed.

And going by the past and ongoing sales of the t-shirt mentioned in this thread - society as a whole doesn't appear to have a the problem asserted in the statement I quote.
The only way to spin the assertion so that it has any merit relies on labelling the parts of society that don't see things your way as wrong and attempt to shame them.

This is just further projection of prejudices.
And it ends up saying more about those making these types of arguments than anything else.

When these sorts assertions backfire instead of getting the desired traction, we see victim-play, outrage, deflection and distortion employed.

Which takes us right back to @gaywonk's mentality.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: Off Duty Ninja

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Again, why do I have to make an argument here?!

Limp Wrist. F*gs.

What more can I say?
You can answer my questions

What gives you the right to play morality police? If so, is it because you're gay? You can censor and deplatform anyone who you decide you don't like now?
What should the LGBTQ community be doiing then?
😂😂 No one is telling your community to do anything. Stop crying

Shy Fingers

Aug 3, 2011

Would you do the same for someone choosing to wear a red-baseball cap with a slogan on it?

What is really being demonstrated here is the observer's own prejudice being projected onto others and attempting to hold those others to account for it.
You tried to cleverly tie in MAGA hats and hijabbs, but fuck you.

Shy Fingers

Aug 3, 2011
Pick your battles and don't try to respond to everyone engaging with you in a thread. You're derailing the thread around yourself.
You can answer my questions

😂😂 No one is telling your community to do anything. Stop crying
Again, didn't answer a thing and put me on the defence... yeah goodbye

• Fire
Reactions: Nobody_Important

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
You tried to cleverly tie in MAGA hats and hijabbs, but fuck you.
1) I didn't mention MAGA hats. You appear to have fabricated that detail and projected that all on your own and are now attempting to hold me accountable for it.
A remarkably apt demonstration of what I just said in my (updated) post.

2) You don't appear to have a very substansive counterpoint. It reads like - no, surely not! - another hot-take.

3) That's not how you spell "f***"

4) I've deliberately numbered my points as you seem to have so much difficulty in identifying all my previous ones. Hope that helps.

Last edited:
  • LOL

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Any updates on the actual thread topic?
Yeah I would like to get past getting lectured by someone who said something naughty to a homosexual in the past and wants to overcompensate by tone policing jokes on the internet.

If you can't bring up someones sexuality after they make it their entire identity and subject of every discussion that surrounds them no wonder we need a pride month so these thin skinned people can prop themselves up. Though they don't seem very proud if the very mention of said sexuality sends them into a fit of victimhood. I can't imagine being that fragile.

Apr 18, 2014
P-Town
Didn't mean to reply to you...
:messenger_blowing_kiss:

Nothing that I've seen. Aside from this:

I gotta say, Crowder can do a pretty decent "Blue Steel".
"We're coming"...

From how hard you got fucked in the ass?! /s

I love how by "deplatforming" Crowder, @gaywonk has brought him an immense level of visibility to people who had never heard of him before. He is his own worst enemy at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Starscream_

monegames

Sep 26, 2014
Crowder has said what the shirt meant in the video I posted earlier in the thread. It was political statement both comparing communism to the fig tree Jesus cursed in the bible for not producing fruit, kind of like how communism doesn't produce economically, and more subtlety pointing the irony of some homosexuals pushing for communism while the treatment of homosexual by communists like Guevara was despicable.

ssolitare

Manbaby: The Member
Jan 12, 2009

A society that is intolerant of simple garments shows that it is not the garment or the person wearing them that is the anti-social one.
A slippery slope indeed.

And going by the past and ongoing sales of the t-shirt mentioned in this thread - society as a whole doesn't appear to have a the problem asserted in the statement I quote.
The only way to spin the assertion so that it has any merit relies on labelling the parts of society that don't see things your way as wrong and attempt to shame them.

This is just further projection of prejudices.
And it ends up saying more about those making these types of arguments than anything else.

When these sorts assertions backfire instead of getting the desired traction, we see victim-play, outrage, deflection and distortion employed.

Which takes us right back to @gaywonk's mentality.

The shirt is a slander against gay people. It makes fun of a stereotypical gesture, and showcases a highly attributed gay slur.

If you wear something like that in public, people will react to it. It's not about your ideal way to percieve or react to something, it's about the reality.

You can't wear that to work at Target and get away with it. That's just the reality.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
I'm only going off the shirt in this thread, but THERE IS A LIMPED WRIST ALONG SIDE THE PHRASE "F*G".

The fuck at "my interpretation". Limp wrist next to the phrase f*g will be considered jaded against gays. You can't argue that.
So what do you think should happen here? Should crowder be banned? The sale of his shirts stopped? The maker of the shirts doxxed?

We get it, your outraged over a joke t-shirt. What's the end game you would like to see?

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
The shirt is a slander against gay people. It makes fun of a stereotypical gesture, and showcases a highly attributed gay slur.
No it isn't. It's been explained a multitude of times in this thread exactly what that shirt is about - including on this very page.

The only people in this thread that repeatedly claim otherwise are the ones who insist that their interpretation is the one that causes offense.
This trick is old, debunked, and fuelled only by those that want to be outraged and reject reality in favour of their fabrication.
Yes, the messaging deliberately goes right up to the line (as explained elsewhere in this thread). But it's people's interpretation that takes it across that line.

Like Carlos and other bad actors in this topic, this dishonesty, distortion, avoidance and reliance on victim-play and projection: It's not subtle. It doesn't work. Do better.

As for what workplaces you can wear a particular garment at - well, your premise is disingenuous and you know it.
Every professional workplace I've ever known has a base dress-code. That is a reflection of that workplace, not of the garment in question.
Do they allow you to wear a "FUCK OFF NAZI SCUM" with a swastika behind a 'no entry' symbol t-shirt at Target?
Do they allow you to wear a "MY LAST ABORTION WAS SO GREAT, I WENT BACK FOR ANOTHER!" t-shirt at Target?

You have just proven my point from my post that you quoted. 👍
I also note that you completely ignored the questions in my post. :unsure:

Last edited:
Reactions: Oner and Sleepydays

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005

If you wear something like that in public, people will react to it. It's not about your ideal way to percieve or react to something, it's about the reality.

You can't wear that to work at Target and get away with it. That's just the reality.
You're not using the word slander correctly here, and word usage is important.

It's an offensive novelty t-shirt.

slander. n. oral defamation, in which someone tells one or more persons an untruth about another, which untruth will harm the reputation of the person defamed. Slander is a civil wrong (tort) and can be the basis for a lawsuit.

Words are important.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Crowder has said what the shirt meant in the video I posted earlier in the thread. It was political statement both comparing communism to the fig tree Jesus cursed in the bible for not producing fruit, kind of like how communism doesn't produce economically, and more subtlety pointing the irony of some homosexuals pushing for communism while the treatment of homosexual by communists like Guevara was despicable.
See that's a clever joke.

Apparently to clever for some people

target makes you wear a uniform. Probably because of people like you, who are easily offended by designs on a shirt

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Why does this shirt have to be "okay"? When was it decided that homosexuals get to decide what we are allowed to say, or what shirt to wear?
It doesn't have to be okay. At the same time, I don't think you should use someone's homosexuality to make fun of them. I'm not saying you can't, or that it makes you a terrible person, or that you should be rejected by society if you do. I'm saying it's a bad idea, and you're probably being some level of hypocrite if you do.

That's not to say that gay jokes should be off limits for comedy or whatever. Nothing should be off limits for comedy. But at the same time, most jokes about marginalized groups are funny because the person making the joke is saying something awful, and that's the point. Even the Count Dankula with the pug dog and hitler references was based on that fact.

A number of the responses to the "Communism is for F*gs" shirt I've read here come from many of the same posters who think "straight white male" is needlessly insulting and dismissive, because it is. So why even mention skin color and gender? And why bring up the fact that he's gay? Why use that to make fun of him?

Perhaps "because he constantly references his own homosexuality, and uses it as a shield" would be your answer to that question? Okay, if that's true, why not criticize him for that? Why give him ammunition and help him prove that narrative?

I like Steven Crowder because his change my mind segments have respectful dialogue between liberals and conservatives. I dislike Seven Crowder because of things like the "Figs" shirt, complete with limp wrist.

The shirt equates Communism with being gay, and implies that being gay is a bad thing. If you're trying to make the argument that conservatives don't care about your race, or gender, or sexuality, and that moral gatekeepers are a thing of the past, and that's the domain of liberals right now, that shirt directly contradicts that argument.

All good points, and thank you for posting the explanation, but that's a lot of backstory for a shirt that pretty much everyone is going to see and immediately associate with a conservative suggesting that being gay is bad or lame. And for the record, I'm not offended by the message on the shirt, I just think it's hypocritical and alienating.

Last edited:

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
For those sensitive to t-shirts with messages on them, how do you feel about this:

Y'all want to talk me through the different levels of comedic messaging this t-shirt works on?
Feel free to purchase one, here's a link to the store page. I would never dream of trying to remove your freedoms from you.

If you saw someone walking down the street wearing this t-shirt, would you make a judgement call about them?
If so, what would that judgement call be?

Hypothetically speaking, what if the person you saw wearing this t-shirt was showing it off proudly for a photo to be taken?
Hypothetically speaking, what if the person you saw wearing this t-shirt held a position in congress?

No, seriously. I'd really like to know.
It's OK. Nobody here makes snap judgements or labels people because of their views on t-shirts.
You're among friends.

Last edited:

zelo-ca

Jan 26, 2018
I saw a guy wearing a shirt that said something about having a black man in his family tree. No kidding. It was at a Brewer game. He had a few buddies with him and security made him take it off. He tried the same 'it doesn't mean what you think it means' BS as I see here.

Would that fly with you?
Yes cause I mind my own business and dont give a shit what other people wear/think. Would be nice if people would think the same way but hey ;)

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
For those sensitive to t-shirts with messages on them, how do you feel about this:

Y'all want to talk me through the different levels of comedic messaging this t-shirt works on?
Feel free to purchase one, here's a link to the store page. I would never dream of trying to remove your freedoms from you.

If you saw someone walking down the street wearing this t-shirt, would you make a judgement call about them?

Hypothetically speaking, what if the person you saw wearing this t-shirt was showing it off proudly for a photo to be taken?
Hypothetically speaking, what if the person you saw wearing this t-shirt held a position in congress?

It's OK. Nobody here makes snap judgements or labels people because of their views on t-shirts.
You're among friends.
Hardly anyone knows what that shirt means at a glance. It's a bad example and not comparable at all to the communist shirt.

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Hardly anyone knows what that shirt means at a glance. It's a bad example and not comparable at all to the communist shirt.
OK, but aside from introducing an "at a glance" criteria, and aside from your impatient desire to dismiss things outright, would you like to try answering the questions this time around?
That'd be great. Thanks.

Last edited:

Saruhashi

Oct 2, 2018

You're among friends.
Oh but I just don't know what the tshirt means. Colonizers? Never heard of them! Don't know what that's about and no idea what it refers to.

Damn that Steven Crowder and his Alt-Right dog whistles though!

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
So you have the authority to speak for "Most people" ?
And you really want to engage sincerely and answer the questions in my post?
And you're definitely not replying a second time trying to be just as dismissive as your earlier reply?

All of those statements are true, yes?
Why don't you use a better example so it's easier to comment about? That one doesn't stir the pot. If someone was wearing a text only "kill all white people" shirt, then yes they would be judged.

• LOL

Schrödinger's cat

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2011
Why don't you use a better example so it's easier to comment about? That one doesn't stir the pot. If someone was wearing a text only "kill all white people" shirt, then yes they would be judged.
How odd. This is the third reply directly related to that post.
And I still don't seem to have any questions answered. (They're really starting to stack up now.)
Even more curious, it seems like a third attempt to dismiss has been rolled out.

Now, I know that after strutting into this thread and telling the existing participants of this thread how things are and "that's just reality" and not answering earlier questions and moving goalposts to frame an existing topic around Target's dress-code (still got some outstanding questions on that one too, friendo) - I know you'd reciprocate and discuss in good faith with the same level of sincerity that you expect to receive from other participants.

Maybe fourth reply will be the charm!

Last edited:
  • Fire

ssolitare

Jan 12, 2009
How odd. This is the third reply directly related to that post.
And I still don't seem to have any questions answered.
Even more curious, it seems like a third attempt to dismiss has been rolled out.

Now, I know that after strutting into this thread and telling the existing participants of this thread how things are and "that's just reality" and not answering earlier questions and moving goalposts to frame an existing topic around Target's dress-code (still got some outstanding questions on that one too, friendo) - I know you'd reciprocate and discuss in good faith with the same level of sincerity that you expect to receive from other participants.

Maybe fourth reply will be the charm!
I don't have any comments to your questions about the example that you posted.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
I guess until you actually talk to a gay person and see how these sort of things affect them, you won't know the impact.
Gay people aren't a monolithic entity. I do not believe we should treat them as weak humans that all think the same simply because of who they fuck. Rather, we should treat them like we should treat anyone else, as individuals. Some may not like a joke. Others may.

Last edited:

CyberPanda

Mar 4, 2019
Gay people aren't a monolithic entity. I do not believe we should treat them as weak humans that all think the same simply because of who they fuck. Rather, we should treat them like we should treat anyone else, as individuals. Some may not like a joke. Others may.
I don’t even know why people use their sexuality to ‘define’ who they are.

Riven326

Mar 25, 2019
United States
I don’t even know why people use their sexuality to ‘define’ who they are.
They don't. How many straight people do you see doing this? Gay people do this, and it's not all gay people. Just like how some gay guys develop a lisp and some don't. Why does that happen anyway? I don't see many lesbians suddenly sounding like Vin Diesel when they start dating other chicks. So what the fuck?

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Was late to the party, have reviewed the matter. My take;

Crowder is a late night comedian. Fittingly he uses crass low brow humour, similar to something like Family Guy. Family Guy stereotypes identity as does Crowder.

E.g. on family guy news segments, they refer to their Asian correspondent, not because of their locality, but based of race. Similarly Crowder refers to his lawyer as half Asian lawyer.

The stereotypes and low brow humour is clearly Crowders ongoing shticks. Humour is completely subjective, take it or leave it.

Crowder targets Maza based on his transparently activist reporting, and Crowder throws in his ongoing shtick as part of the commentary. Maza is in the public domain and others have every right to belittle such a figure.

Maza is a typical crying victim with no substance and should be ignored. Crowder not guilty, youtube is making a grave mistake.

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Added to this, use of language is key. Calling a black man black is perfectly fine, calling him the n word is not. Calling a gay man, gay, or queer is fine, fag is not.

Crowder used queer towards a man that is queer And calling him lispy is simply a crass insult, nothing more.

Have the goal posts been moved by the identitarians once more?

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Whether you think Crowder deserved it or not or how you feel about the ramifications of the bigger picture stuff, I just wish this Maza dude would come out and admit that he's doing all this to settle a personal score. I always find it so hilarious when people want to silence or shut someone down and yap on and on about "not allowing them to have a platform" (which is one of my most hated phrases of all time) and the reason they give is some grandiose betterment of society thing about "preventing their thoughts from infecting others" and throw in a Hitler reference or two(always popular) about how "IF WE ALLOW THIS TO GO ON AND THESE THOUGHTS TO SPREAD, NEXT THING YOU KNOW YOU HAVE A MODERN DAY NAZI GERMANY!"

Just admit you did it because you fucking want revenge on the dude for mocking your homosexuality, at least be up front about why you wanna do it. Stop hiding behind these phony causes. No one... fucking no one goes to these insane and obsessive lengths to destroy someone unless it's entirely personal. Maza is not trying to fight for some noble cause. Crowder is not a terrorist, he isn't a danger to society. It's so fucking phony and pretentious.

Last edited:

Barsinister

Jan 16, 2008
USA
The thing that always bothers me is that no one stands up for the stupids. Everyone always worries about what the stupid of the world will hear that will make them Natzis, like it's their own fault, or something. We can't help ourselves, I'm telling you, we are stupid. It's on the tin. Calling us worthless sheeple helps no one, not even the stupid. Who do you think the "influencers" are influencing? The stupid! Have some compassion for the REAL oppressed class, the stupid.

Thank you.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Ryujin

danielberg

Jun 20, 2018
I am glad the maza fool had the misplaced ego and did this all out in the open/public and people now know his face, i am also "glad" twitter is full of people bitching about being caught in this.

Reactions: CyberPanda