• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vox reporter pushing for another Youtube Adpocolypse, over a channel that is already almost entirely demonetized.

CyberPanda

Mar 4, 2019

(Source)

For anyone not up to speed, Sarah Jeong has years of anti-white tweets and is a member of the New York Times editorial board.
Previously she held a position at The Verge. The Verge is owned by Vox Media.
Oh yes, I remember Sarah. lol. The anti-white crap is just the usual badge they have to wear when they join the MSM.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

(Source)

For anyone not up to speed, Sarah Jeong has years of anti-white tweets and is a member of the New York Times editorial board.
Previously she held a position at The Verge. The Verge is owned by Vox Media.
Good to see conservative politicians not laying down with this, and finally calling out the hypocrisy and partisan led authoritarian antics.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Good to see conservative politicians not laying down with this, and finally calling out the hypocrisy and partisan led authoritarian antics.
I need to see receipts.
Given that it goes well into interests of actual politicians I'd expect much more than twitter comments to be happening.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Calling a gay man, gay, or queer is fine, fag is not.
I (honestly) missed where he called him a fag (not that I knew what what word means, anyhow, so could have ignored it) in that video?

And does using a slur once to refer to someone count as harassment?
Is Bill Maher "harassing" Trump, when he uses slurs to refer to him?

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
Seen the CNET hit-piece on gaming you tubers, essentially trying to deplatform and demonetise them.

I’m beginning to think the talk off a coordinated attack is legit.

Reactions: DeepEnigma

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
I (honestly) missed where he called him a fag (not that I knew what what word means, anyhow, so could have ignored it) in that video?

And does using a slur once to refer to someone count as harassment?
Is Bill Maher "harassing" Trump, when he uses slurs to refer to him?
Sorry, I must not have been clear. He did not call him a fag, just a ‘lispy queer’.

He was not homophobic, only insulting the man.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Seen the CNET hit-piece on gaming you tubers, essentially trying to deplatform and demonetise them.

It is exactly what it is. They have a network, MSM does as well where they coordinate headlines, emphasize specific words/phrases ("the walls are closing in") and timing.

The media does not inform, they propagate narrative, act as activists, etc.

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Recently came across definition of "hate speech": any speech that left-activist-turn-journalists hate.

Sorry, I must not have been clear. He did not call him a fag, just a ‘lispy queer’.
Sorry, is that from the same video, and if yes, is it "lispy" or "queer" or both, that is a slur?

What do you mean by receipts?
Proof the is actively pushing for legislative changes.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Sorry, is that from the same video, and if yes, is it "lispy" or "queer" or both, that is a slur?
Wouldn't it be fair to say that by mentioning his sexuality in the first place, he's already making things more hateful toward a group than he should, even without using a slur?

Consider these two paraphrasings of the tweet at the top of this page.

Ted Cruz is a stupid person who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ted Cruz is a stupid white male who doesn't know what he's talking about.

No one needs to call Ted Cruz a cracker before it starts to sound like him being white is being presented as a negative.

When someone needlessly mentions a persons race or gender or sexuality when criticizing them, I have to infer that the person mentioning those characteristics thinks doing so is not needless, and that serves a purpose. And if that's the case, it sounds like they think those characteristics do matter.

If the argument is that "I don't care if you're gay," then why call someone a lispy queer when criticizing them?

What do you mean by receipts? Can you elaborate?
My guess he is saying You Tube, Facebook, twitter, etc, shouldn't enjoy the protections and benefits afforded to them as both being a platform, and being a publisher. And he wants to see our government start to do something about that.

I never heard of this channel before, but doing a quick search on the issue as it relates to this recent matter, I found this video that makes that argument:

Last edited:

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Wouldn't it be fair to say that by mentioning his sexuality in the first place, he's already making things more hateful toward a group than he should, even without using a slur?
He's referring to a person who keeps repeating that about himself and even has the word "gay" in his nickname.

Consider these two paraphrasings of the tweet at the top of this page.

Ted Cruz is a stupid person who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Ted Cruz is a stupid white male who doesn't know what he's talking about.
That's not how the said homosexual person of color (no pun intended, don't remember his name) was referred to.
(oh, and I think he called himself "queer" just for scoring more points)

So your analogy would be someone saying "that white male who lost primaries against Trump".

And, damn, that video had so little to do with that particular activist-journalist. Most of the time C. referred to him as "Vox".

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
He's referring to a person who keeps repeating that about himself and even has the word "gay" in his nickname.

That's not how the said homosexual person of color (no pun intended, don't remember his name) was referred to.
(oh, and I think he called himself "queer" just for scoring more points)

So your analogy would be someone saying "that white male who lost primaries against Trump".

And, damn, that video had so little to do with that particular activist-journalist. Most of the time C. referred to him as "Vox".
Or more accurately "that lispy white male who lost the primaries." You don't think that sounds like it's making someone's race an issue when it shouldn't matter? If Sarah Jeong said that, you wouldn't think people should criticize it?

As far as your other point, I answered that earlier in the thread:

So why even mention skin color and gender? And why bring up the fact that he's gay? Why use that to make fun of him?

Perhaps "because he constantly references his own homosexuality, and uses it as a shield" would be your answer to that question? Okay, if that's true, why not criticize him for that? Why give him ammunition and help him prove that narrative?

Reactions: _Starscream_

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Or more accurately "that lispy white male who lost the primaries." You don't think that sounds like it's making someone's race an issue when it shouldn't matter?
Isn't a possibility too probabilistic in nature, to make bold "racist", "homophobe" claims?

And why bring up the fact that he's gay? Why use that to make fun of him?
For fucks sake, where did he make fun of him FOR BEING GAY? Why did he refer to him as "Vox", is that yet another slur word that I'm not aware of?

If Sarah Jeong said that...
If Sara Jeong said "white male"? Is there a single guardian article not mentioning that word combination, chuckle?
Uh, nobody would have noticed it had she only said that.

She's in a league of her own:

So, let roll:

"oh man, it's kind of sick how much joy I get out of being cruel to gays".
"I open my mouth to greet a gay guy, but an unending cascade of vomit flows from my face"
"Are gays genetically predisposed to burn faster in the sun, thus logically being only fit to live underground like groveling goblins".

Not so subtle, is it?

SpiceRacz

Feb 27, 2017
Hazuki Dojo
Or more accurately "that lispy white male who lost the primaries." You don't think that sounds like it's making someone's race an issue when it shouldn't matter? If Sarah Jeong said that, you wouldn't think people should criticize it?

As far as your other point, I answered that earlier in the thread:

So why even mention skin color and gender? And why bring up the fact that he's gay? Why use that to make fun of him?

Perhaps "because he constantly references his own homosexuality, and uses it as a shield" would be your answer to that question? Okay, if that's true, why not criticize him for that? Why give him ammunition and help him prove that narrative?

"Not gay Jared"

"Half asian lawyer Bill"

It's a running joke on his show. It's how he refers to a lot of people.

Last edited:

LegendOfKage

Mar 6, 2018
Isn't a possibility too probabilistic in nature, to make bold "racist", "homophobe" claims?
Yes. I wouldn't call Crowder racist or homophobic. Those words should be reserved for much worse than his comments. Like I said, I think Crowder's comments are hypocritical and needlessly alienating.

For fucks sake, where did he make fun of him FOR BEING GAY? Why did he refer to him as "Vox", is that yet another slur word that I'm not aware of?
I suggested that Crower used the fact that he's gay to make fun of him. That's different than making fun of him FOR being gay. He needlessly referenced the guy's sexuality while mocking him, which only strengthens the argument that conservatives care about that sort of thing, and aren't accepting of gay people. If you agree that the media is going to present anything conservatives do or say regarding race, or gender, or sexuality in the worse possible light, why make that easier for them?

If Sara Jeong said "white male"? Is there a single guardian article not mentioning that word combination, chuckle?
Uh, nobody would have noticed it had she only said that.

She's in a league of her own:
Yeah, she's considerably worse, and mainstream media won't dare criticize her for it. We definitely agree here.

Is there a single guardian article not mentioning that word combination, chuckle?
And don't you feel white males are being generalized and singled out when you read those articles? That's my point. If you don't like to see that, and you want to think of people as individuals rather than define them with characteristics, then don't use those characteristics to define them, and definitely don't use those characteristics to insult them.

CyberPanda

Mar 4, 2019
Soooooo does this mean people are going to take down all of the hateful comments, videos and insults towards trump down bc of targeted harrassment? Cause all of these leftist journalists are guilty of this.
Nawww. It doesn’t work like that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
Soooooo does this mean people are going to take down all of the hateful comments, videos and insults towards trump down bc of targeted harrassment? Cause all of these leftist journalists are guilty of this.
Rules for thee.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
Hardly anyone knows what that shirt means at a glance. It's a bad example and not comparable at all to the communist shirt.
Hardly anyone knows what "colonizer" means in a country that teaches "ye olde colonial times" in elementary school?

"Colonizer" and similar words are basically more subtle ((())) - just dogwhistles. She may as well say [[[colonizers]]], or [[[patriarchy]]], or [[[rural America]]]. We all know what she is really saying.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006

Of course it is. We saw the roots of it in Gamergate - dozens of articles with the same phrases, even structure, would pop up all over the internet across sites with varied popularity. All these journalists know each other, and Twitter gives them an easy way to coordinate in private. Now the DMs are starting to get exposed in the latest 'gates - look at the backroom mafioso tactics of Mark Waid, or the shit that is being done to Vic Mignogna.

Dacon

Apr 24, 2011
Houston, Texas
Of course it is. We saw the roots of it in Gamergate - dozens of articles with the same phrases, even structure, would pop up all over the internet across sites with varied popularity. All these journalists know each other, and Twitter gives them an easy way to coordinate in private. Now the DMs are starting to get exposed in the latest 'gates - look at the backroom mafioso tactics of Mark Waid, or the shit that is being done to Vic Mignogna.
I mean it's not just on the internet. You ever seen that media compilation of CNN and etc all saying the same shit from channel to channel?

Reactions: Riven326
Mar 18, 2018
Vox and Youtube should be ashamed. This is what you get when dowsing the flames of the cultural war with gasoline over a god damn percentage of ad revenue.

AaronB

May 5, 2013
Yes. I wouldn't call Crowder racist or homophobic. Those words should be reserved for much worse than his comments. Like I said, I think Crowder's comments are hypocritical and needlessly alienating.

I suggested that Crower used the fact that he's gay to make fun of him. That's different than making fun of him FOR being gay. He needlessly referenced the guy's sexuality while mocking him, which only strengthens the argument that conservatives care about that sort of thing, and aren't accepting of gay people. If you agree that the media is going to present anything conservatives do or say regarding race, or gender, or sexuality in the worse possible light, why make that easier for them?
You seem to be under that the impression that the people criticizing Crowder are doing so in good faith. I don't see any evidence of that. Look at the way they treat gay or black conservatives. They are about finding any excuse to try to pressure advertisers and platforms to get rid of people they disagree with.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Whether or not something is hate speech is immaterial. It's proxy shaming by people who fear words and are trying to make other people fear words. We shouldn't even care about the words, let alone have reached the point where the 'tone' of how you say the word matters.

They are trying to kill criticism because they're incapable of defending their ideas in the open market. So they shut 'em down, deplatform them, strangle their income. The authoritarians and weak minded working together in hamfisted harmony, ready to burn free speech to the ground because they've turned being offended into a paycheck.

Fuck 'em. They can say the words because I'll even defend their right to, but I'll be damned if the sniveling cowards have the last one.

‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,’
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall / referencing Voltaire

weltalldx

Feb 25, 2017
Whether or not something is hate speech is immaterial. It's proxy shaming by people who fear words and are trying to make other people fear words. We shouldn't even care about the words, let alone have reached the point where the 'tone' of how you say the word matters.

They are trying to kill criticism because they're incapable of defending their ideas in the open market. So they shut 'em down, deplatform them, strangle their income. The authoritarians and weak minded working together in hamfisted harmony, ready to burn free speech to the ground because they've turned being offended into a paycheck.

Fuck 'em. They can say the words because I'll even defend their right to, but I'll be damned if the sniveling cowards have the last one.

‘I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it,’
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall / referencing Voltaire
The radical left have realized that it was the color of the skin rather than the content of the character all along. No need to earn respect through merit, just make yourself a victim according to your identity. Those who disagree are labeled racist and banished from online presence.

Reactions: KINGMOKU

Shmunter

Aug 25, 2018
When I came out of the closet my friends were just happy they had a whole new set of insults to hurl my way, we're absolutely viscious with each other to this day.

I might just buy one of those shirts for shits and giggles.
Hold the press. You’re a normal person that is resilient enough to understand the difference between jokes and genuine victimhood? What’s the world coming to.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
I'm glad people are fighting back. This doesn't affect me in any way, but I hate to see small channels shut down and even larger channels who rely on it for income. This sets a horrible precedent. The people trying to destroy others so obsessively... they just are not good people. Full of hate, anger, and vitriol. They think they and only they know what is just and right and they talk down to anyone who doesn't think otherwise. Tim Pool put a video up of an open letter Vox sent to Youtube and it was the most self-righteous condescending thing I've ever read. Telling Youtube how to run their website(ironically, because when people get kicked off they tell them Youtube has a right to do whatever they want on their platform) and telling them what should and should not be allowed on their site. Have some fucking humility FFS, it was just dripping of pompousness and ego.

DragoonKain

Nov 13, 2013
Prediction:

Crowder goes on Rogan sometime in the next 2 weeks to talk about this, and then Vox and other leftist "activists" will start coming after Joe Rogan.

And it's going to totally backfire, because Rogan is fucking huge, is well-respected by pretty much every demographic except the dark recesses of the far far left, and has a massive following, including in influential circles. They can piss on Crowder and other channels and get away with it, but if they go after Rogan they are going to lose. And this will be the turning point in which things start to turn back in the other direction back to sanity. I've always thought the only way for this to end is when these nutjobs try to bite off more than they can chew.

Last edited: