• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR finally mainstream!

The Quest 2 has appeared to have sold millions this past holiday season. I got a quest 2 last christmas and it really is an incredible device.

The Quest 2 companion app Oculus reached #1 in the Apple Playstore Xmas day and the Day after. Steam saw record VR growth with nearly 40% of users using the Quest 2 on it's platform. All you have to do is google meta Quest 2 holiday numbers and you will see the hype it's getting.

I'm happy to see this thing catch fire and hopefully attracts more big name publishers. While there are a decent library of games to play, there are few "blockbuster" titles. Resident Evil 4 on the Quest 2 has shown that old classics can be remade anew and feel totally awesome. Doom 3 is another example how an older game can feel totally new (and creepy). Publishers can make money on porting over old titles and making new ones for a much lower budget than other platforms.

Zuckerberg is also building a Ready Player One type metaverse that could be interesting as well. VR is hitting primetime baby!

VR is far from being Mainstream, what's with the hot take?

MastAndo

It's never gonna be REALLY mainstream until they sensibly reduce weight and size and a big improvement on the battery life.
They are just too bulky, uncomfortble, easily sweat inducing to make a breach on the hearts of the casuals or anti-vr people.

And this comes from a guy with 2 vr device that probably gonna buy a psvr2.

10 milions quest for 6 billions of people on this planet is not really mainstream.
Definitely. Once VR can be had without having to put a monstrosity of a device over your head, it'll become commonplace in homes. I also think the ability to quickly switch between VR worlds and real life would appeal to the casual user (i.e. most people) - perhaps a button that makes the goggles see through, or having the set be small enough to easily take on and off.

Romulus

Definitely. Once VR can be had without having to put a monstrosity of a device over your head, it'll become commonplace in homes. I also think the ability to quickly switch between VR worlds and real life would appeal to the casual user (i.e. most people) - perhaps a button that makes the goggles see through, or having the set be small enough to easily take on and off.

This is already a thing. Double-tap the Quest 2 and you can instantly see the outside world without taking off the headset. And the Quest 2 is not big at all.

Last edited:

MastAndo

This is already a thing. Double-tap the Quest 2 and you can instantly see the outside world without taking off the headset. And the Quest 2 is not big at all.
Oh, sweet. I'm clearly out of the loop, but I may have to get on board with this sooner rather than later then.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I don't want Jim Ryan to see me when I'm jerking off.

Sure you do. Show him how it's done.

vr nutshell GIF

Top Bottom