• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR is a fad and will never take off

lukilladog

The comparisons are made because gamers do not know when to accept beneficial advancements in the industry, regardless of how big or small they are. There is no mention of Motion controls, Kinect, Virtual Boy, and 3D because they were all extremely limited in scope and offered little room for growth - and never proved themselves to any serious degree. Yes, you had some masterpiece Wii games like Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, but those barely utilized motion controls and were not making a case for the tech. Skyward Sword is very divisive. Kinect had Fru, which was a really great game, but simply not enough to justify the tech.

VR is the opposite. It's the first radical gamechanger since 3D graphics that actually works as intended, has actually proven itself, and has limitless potential for growth. It also compasses everything that came before it. 3D, Motion controls, Kinect. They are simply precursors to VR, and unlike those, VR has no descendant. Unless we count the merging of VR and AR into one device.

And no, VR is not dead. This is merely the gartner hype cycle playing out, just as it did for all technology mediums. PCs, Smartphones, Tablets - each of these were hyped up to a certain point by the media/anaylsts and all fell short of where the media/anaylsts expected them to be. They all went into the trough of dillusionment before eventually rising out and reaching, then surpassing the initial wave of hype.

Basically, blame the media. They are responsible for an artificially induced 'crash and burn' of all technologies.

So gamers are smart for not accepting motion controls, kinect, virtual boy and 3d vision... but they are idiots for not accepting VR. Has it occurred to you that gamers don´t have any duty or responsibility to accept stuff they don´t like to use just for the sake of "beneficial" advancements in the industry?. What is the purpose of having advancements in the industry if people prefer other ways of playing games anyway?. Even most VR owners hang their sets after a few weeks or months, you can´t blame the media for that.

Stuart360

I think VR is doing decent from what i can see. I used to be so for VR after i was lucky enough to spend some time with an Oculus dev kit years ago, but the thing happened what i thought always would do, the games (well a lot of them anyway) have a load of Eye toy style gimicky shit. My want from VR was to be able to play the COD's, Mass Effects, Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, etc games with a controller, and just using the headset for the visual immersion.
Its not there yet though, instead of AAA games coming with a 'VR Mode;', we are still getting gimmicky games made for VR. I know with Oculus you can use a controller and kind of use VR just for the immersion, but that doesnt really count if we arent getting the games i want.

So gamers are smart for not accepting motion controls, kinect, virtual boy and 3d vision... but they are idiots for not accepting VR. Has it occurred to you that gamers don´t have any duty or responsibility to accept stuff they don´t like to use just for the sake of "beneficial" advancements in the industry?. What is the purpose of having advancements in the industry if people prefer other ways of playing games anyway?. Even most VR owners hang their sets after a few weeks or months, you can´t blame the media for that.
Responsibility has nothing to do with it. You're either smart to accept/reject or you're not.

VR has proven itself, unlike the other examples. It's also the one that always had the most promise (by magnitudes) before it launched. VR was always a staple Sci-Fi dream for gamers. 3D TVs, Motion Controls, and Kinect, not so much. Sci-Fi and reality are two different things, until they aren't.

What if gamers just want everything to stay the same, always? Well first off, new generations will never let that happen so long as they grow up with a changed industry. But to answer that directly, they are fine to continue playing as they are, but people become problems when they actively hate on what they think they don't want. That's also largely it. It's what they think they don't want. I've seen thousands of people say they don't want VR, think it's a gimmick, or don't want to play X game/genre in VR. That group of people then changed their minds after using it.

So I'll say it again; it's fine to want to keep things as they are, and participate in that, but it's pathetic when someone starts wanting new changes to die, especially as VR's other uses would improve the lives of those wanting it to burn. It would be like wanting smartphones to die because they don't like mobile gaming. Yep, lets take this device that has connected billions of people in convenient ways and no doubt improved most of our lives just because I want my hobby to never change.

And tell me, are gamers interested in TVs and Monitors? Yeah, I'd say a lot of gamers are, at least those on console/PC. Gamers like better displays. So should they resist VR (and I'll throw in AR too) which can give them the best display setup money literally can't buy and play just as they always have, but using virtual screens? Why resist that, in a future where comfort/resolution issues will be solved.

The media is to blame for the impossible-to-meet hype machine they create each time a new technology comes along. That's purely all I'm blaming the media for.

Last edited:
I think VR is doing decent from what i can see. I used to be so for VR after i was lucky enough to spend some time with an Oculus dev kit years ago, but the thing happened what i thought always would do, the games (well a lot of them anyway) have a load of Eye toy style gimicky shit. My want from VR was to be able to play the COD's, Mass Effects, Elder Scrolls, Assassins Creed, etc games with a controller, and just using the headset for the visual immersion.
Its not there yet though, instead of AAA games coming with a 'VR Mode;', we are still getting gimmicky games made for VR. I know with Oculus you can use a controller and kind of use VR just for the immersion, but that doesnt really count if we arent getting the games i want.
I mean there are still a bunch of gamepad games. Astro Bot, Moss, Hellblade, Wipeout, Alien Isolation, RE7, Thumper, Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect. You name it. These can be amazing, but VR's full potential will always be in taking over as much of the perceptual system as it can, which is why there will be advancements on that front, always.

Romulus

We'll see even more regular games ported to PSVR ports next gen. Way more. I've listened to several devs that wanted to get their games running on PSVR but the problem is the PS4 CPU. It's massively crippled, and the CPU is obviously a very important factor to get games running at 60fps in VR, it's a requirement. Most of the ports PSVR got this gen were already running at 60fps in one form or another other than Skyrim and a couple more. PS5's CPU is waaaaay ahead of the jaguar, even if it gets the absolute worst case scenario. For every 3-4 games next gen, I expect a VR port, not to mention all the stuff that will be exclusive to VR, Iron Man 2, Astrobot 2 etc.

PS5 supporting VR is actually a bad thing for people who want VR to fail. The cpu really hurt VR games on PS4.

Last edited:

wzy

Responsibility has nothing to do with it. You're either smart to accept/reject or you're not.

VR has proven itself, unlike the other examples. It's also the one that always had the most promise (by magnitudes) before it launched. VR was always a staple Sci-Fi dream for gamers. 3D TVs, Motion Controls, and Kinect, not so much. Sci-Fi and reality are two different things, until they aren't.

lol okay, but the VR that exists as a "staple" science fiction dream is the kind that pumps computer beams directly into your brain, not a fucking monitor you strap to your face. Nothing about """""Virtual Reality""""" in it's currently form is going to get anywhere near The Matrix. It's a whole different field! And honestly, the tech just sucks anyway. It's already about as good as it's going to get using this approach. Better hardware and resolution, fine, sure. Nobody is sucking anybody's dick, though. You get to that level, we have a ballgame. Right now VR looks exactly like this generation's Kinect, which is pretty much what it deserves.

Romulus

lol okay, but the VR that exists as a "staple" science fiction dream is the kind that pumps computer beams directly into your brain, not a fucking monitor you strap to your face. Nothing about """""Virtual Reality""""" in it's currently form is going to get anywhere near The Matrix. It's a whole different field! And honestly, the tech just sucks anyway. It's already about as good as it's going to get using this approach. Better hardware and resolution, fine, sure. Nobody is sucking anybody's dick, though. You get to that level, we have a ballgame. Right now VR looks exactly like this generation's Kinect, which is pretty much what it deserves.

I know its more bulky than the matrix lol, but when I'm playing many VR games, I'm absolutely convinced I'm inside the videogame. No question. That's a massive testament to the tech.

On a side note, VR rendering techniques are really exciting, its entirely possible that VR games will look better than monitor games because the tech can see exactly where your pupils are focused and render only that portion of the screen, unlike monitors. It will improve even further, and GPU/ CPU will be less and less taxed all the while being magnitudes more powerful in a short time.

Last edited:

Shifty

c86.jpg

I'm quite confident that VR will outlast this moronic thread.

V4skunk

Banned
It is good for simulations like racing games when you have a wheel.
I imagine flight sims will also work well and games like Arma3.

CJY

Banned
I believe there will come a time in the very near future that this “opinion” will be a bannable offence on this forum and beyond because it reeks of bias against a tech that is clearly the future of something.

VR is a catch-all term for a range of technologies, VR, MR, AR, combined with motion tracking, in the areas of entertainment, military, training, perhaps education, travel and more. It’s inevitable these technologies will become more prevalent in the future, so to call it a fad is just ridiculous.

I currently don’t own a headset, but I’ve owned some in the recent past and it’s obviously not a fad.

It’s like saying Xbox is a fad, because I prefer PlayStation. Or, MS only sold about 1/2 of what PlayStation did this gen, when will Xbox fanboys realise Xbox it just a fad and fart in the wind.

Sounds ridiculous, right? Well, the logic is not that different if you break down what the OP is saying.

Everyone has the right to have an opinion, you don’t have to agree with that opinion, but sometimes opinions are genuinely crap. And whenever opinions are combined with false “facts” and “statistics”, then those opinions can be considered less than trash and potentially even damaging.

Shifty

I believe there will come a time in the very near future that this “opinion” will be a bannable offence on this forum and beyond because it reeks of bias against a tech that is clearly the future of something.
As much as the OP might deserve it for their trash tier posts, this is unlikely to happen. Banning opinions is for the Ree crowd.

A notable shitty behavioural pattern, on the other hand? Give 'em enough rope... 💩

Last edited:

CJY

Banned
As much as the OP might deserve it for their trash tier posts, this is unlikely to happen. Banning opinions is for the Ree crowd.

A notable shitty behavioural pattern, on the other hand? Give 'em enough rope... 💩
I see. To be fair, that’s a far cry from back in the older days of GAF, when you could easily be banned for an opinion. I guess things have changed around here... for the better I might add.

Shifty

Why does everyone despise me?
Because you deemed it necessary to post a poorly-reasoned thread with an aggressive tone and continually double down on it when challenged? 🤔

Tolerance for that sort of thing seems to be at an all time low thanks to a recent spate of prolific members including (but not limited to) Microsofts Hunert Smoke, Voost Kain and Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. shitting up the front page with lousy op-ed pieces.

Fluzer

Banned
Because you deemed it necessary to post a poorly-reasoned thread with an aggressive tone and continually double down on it when challenged? 🤔

Tolerance for that sort of thing seems to be at an all time low thanks to a recent spate of prolific members including (but not limited to) Microsofts Hunert Smoke, Voost Kain and Freedom Gate Co. Freedom Gate Co. shitting up the front page with lousy op-ed pieces.

Well, you're not perfect either Shifty.

gifgaf

Why does everyone despise me?

Your trolling, you don't give any facts, just troll facts. You dismiss peoples opinion about VR even though they all have much more experience with VR than you do.

Here's some of your troll posts.

Currently VR is selling approximately 3 million units per year with all of manufactuerers headsets' COMBINED, that is lower than the sales of the Vita, Wii U, Gamecube, OG Xbox or Dreamcast. I have been hearing about this VR boom that's supposed to happen for 3 years now and still nothing, will VR ever get good games? will VR ever grow in huge numbers?

When will VR fanboys admit it's a fad that's going to come and go like a fart in the wind?

Insult people who like VR. reason number 1

Just because stupid companies are investing into VR doesn't mean it's growing, it just means these companies are trying to force VR down our throats despite our constant rejection. VR is never going to happen, stop trying to make it happen.

and

No because companies are forcing it despite the horrible sales. I fear all companies will adopt an exclusive VR strategy to their gaming direction because it's far cheaper to make games for VR than regular flat screen gaming.

Forcing people to buy VR? Be serious.

Can a mod change my titie to "VR gaming is a fad and will never take off"?

VR itself is very useful, just not in gaming.

Still trying to bait people who like VR

Just a 30 second cross section of your posts, your trolling and trying to bait people but not really wanting or not able to have a serious discussion.

I'm sure this is what you wanted though. Thankfully most people here are calm and reasoned, seems we are having a discussion about VR between ourselves and ignoring your comments, Which is nice.

CJY

Banned

Very prescient. Lol

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Lol. I'll never get why people can't just live with their disinterest in whatever, from motion controls to VR to Star Citizen, and instead of simply moving on they have to go out of their way to hate on them, everything they can ever stand for and anyone who feels different about them >_>

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
VR isn’t really hardware in the same light as a console. It’s an attachment if anything, a peripheral.

And it certainly has taken off.

The only annoying thing about it is MS continues to not bother with it for Xbox, and that annoys me a lot...

Well there's a solution for you. Pc and PS4.

With how Microsoft screwed themselves with Kinect, I'd say dony expect them to focus yet again on niche peripherals

Gavin Stevens

Formerly 'o'dium'
Yup... Kinect, for all its flaws, was a great idea... just done bad. I mean, the unit was massive, the size of the room needed was utterly stupid... it could have been amazing. I was upset they ditched it, because I think that with some proper work it could work very well. But it’s too late now.

I’m even more shocked that basic functionality didn’t cross over. Like, I know a LOT of people with a Kinect, but 99% of them only kept it plugged in for one thing... voice commands. So why was this not built into the console itself? Like, a small mic on the front?

Also with their mixed reality head sets not sure I have faith in them for a VR head set.

MarkyG

I honestly think VR is holding its own very well and is only going to get better. I read somewhere that PSVR has sold over 1m units so far. Loving my Rift CV1. I do want to upgrade to Rift S at some point. Having it all in one neat package with better visuals and 99% extra easy set up is a bonus. My daughter can have my "old" Rift. :) Also, there's BoneWorks. My goodness, that look amazing! (google it if you don't know what it is).

Ar¢tos

Well there's a solution for you. Pc and PS4.

With how Microsoft screwed themselves with Kinect, I'd say dony expect them to focus yet again on niche peripherals
Once console VR has a solid userbase and becomes profitable (as in, really profitable), I'm sure MS will develop a VR solution for their next Xbox (or adapt an existing pc one).
MS has a severe risk aversion, and something as expensive to create as a VR headset for gaming is a big risk right now.

Wonko_C

Yup... Kinect, for all its flaws, was a great idea... just done bad. I mean, the unit was massive, the size of the room needed was utterly stupid... it could have been amazing. I was upset they ditched it, because I think that with some proper work it could work very well. But it’s too late now.

I’m even more shocked that basic functionality didn’t cross over. Like, I know a LOT of people with a Kinect, but 99% of them only kept it plugged in for one thing... voice commands. So why was this not built into the console itself? Like, a small mic on the front?

Also with their mixed reality head sets not sure I have faith in them for a VR head set.
Kinect for Xbox may be gone but it's still used in the business sector. (They even released a newer, more compact version of it a few months ago).

The original Kinect is used for crude full body tracking in PCVR (VR Chat, etc.) so Xbox could bring Kinect back (better than ever) for VR and AR.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
It’ll be mainstream once they make it seamless and easy to use. Right now you have to plug it in set up all these cameras clear space in your room etc. The headsets are heavy and uncomfortable.

It’s a bit like PCs & the Internet in the 80s and 90s. They were mostly the domain of hobbyists, with BBSes and AOL and modems and stuff. Fast forward 10 to 15 years and the Smart Phone makes Always Online into an easy to do thing anyone can do. Once we have full room glasses free holographic projectors there won’t be any question but we’re still a ways off from that

Baby steps basically.

Last edited:
The funny thing, those most worried streaming services might take over don't realize VR is their savior. Anyways I want a Playstation VR. But going to wait for the PS5. I hate that clusterfuck of wires.

The original poster is comparing this to the Kinect, which makes no sense. Xbox 360 + Kinect was 300, PSVR alone is 300. So a bundle of PS4 and PSVR isn't going to be anywhere near attractive. So to compare them is foolish. Nevermind that technically PSVR is technically more sound than Kinect ever was, even the current Kinect.

In the end... VR is just a more immersive TV. It's in its infancy. It just takes one game.

Ready Player One is Sci-Fi, and we're hardly that far off from that now are we? That's my reference point here, because that will easily be all VR needs.

I can tell you have either not used VR before or have not used it properly. IE: With the right games. No one in their right mind would compare it to Kinect. Believe me, I've seen this exact manner of response tens of thousands of times. Some of the highest rated games of 2017/2018 were VR games. Let that sink in.

And, we are closer than you think to my reference point:

Last edited:
Lol. I'll never get why people can't just live with their disinterest in whatever, from motion controls to VR to Star Citizen, and instead of simply moving on they have to go out of their way to hate on them, everything they can ever stand for and anyone who feels different about them >_>
I've legitimately seen what feels like the start of a cult for VR haters. A guy who claims to go around posting lies trying to convince as many people as possible not to buy VR. I found this out after getting into an argument with someone who bashed the tech because they got sick once, me telling them that's a user choice (at 90 FPS) as the choice is artificial locomotion which plenty of games give you the option to avoid. They didn't like that. "I got sick, I don't believe you! It has to die!", and so began their journal of accomplishments, where they'd randomly message me back hours/days later several times about how they've successfully convinced X people to not buy VR.

Some people are just complete morons.

Last edited:

Rodolink

Only thing keeping VR of being mass consumed it's price. Entry point to a decent VR experience is $300+
Also its not just a device, but a new medium.
And each iteration its getting better and better.

That Boneworks footage with crowbar grapple hooking is the sickest shit I ever seen
Hoping that Valve's Half Life VR game will do some similar things, only with much higher levels of polish.

But yeah, this is one thing that has barely been touched upon in VR. You can have a fully physical world with complex interaction systems.

Only thing keeping VR of being mass consumed it's price. Entry point to a decent VR experience is $300+
Also its not just a device, but a new medium.
And each iteration its getting better and better.

VR will be an entirely different thing if brain computer interfaces can be brought to market. The question is if it is physically possible to create wireless high bandwidth bidirectional brain computer interfaces.

Romulus

I read somewhere that PSVR has sold over 1m units so far.

Its approaching 5 million in sales. People like to mention the 5% of ps4 userbase fact also, which is great when you consider psvr has only been out less than half ps4's lifetime. Incredible when consider psvr was more expensive than the ps4 itself for much of its life also.

CJY

Banned
VR will be an entirely different thing if brain computer interfaces can be brought to market. The question is if it is physically possible to create wireless high bandwidth bidirectional brain computer interfaces.
I've no doubt it will be possible. Neuralink is the company that will probably achieve it first. But regardless of who does it, it's coming soon or later.
VR is eventually going to be just contact lenses or glasses you wear I believe. If neuralink takes off, visuals could potentially be sent directly to our visual cortex through electrical impulses without the need for a physical device in front of our eyes at all.

I don't say these things with any sort of joy or sense of anticipation at all... I think it's a damn scary future we have ahead of us,

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Kinect didnt demo well unless it was young kids or families. It fucking sucked from the get go, it sold well because it had Wii type games, gimmicks. Wii also did well but they dont have the market that will support them for the long haul, those are impulse buys. I demo VR to mostly gamers, completely different demographic people that laugh at kinect. The problem is in 2019 most gamers still haven't tried VR, my experience demoing has proven that to me.

Kinect never had a big budget single player game either, VR has several.
My wife fell in love with Kinect after trying the ping pong game at Best Buy. Seems
Ready Player One is Sci-Fi, and we're hardly that far off from that now are we? That's my reference point here, because that will easily be all VR needs.

I can tell you have either not used VR before or have not used it properly. IE: With the right games. No one in their right mind would compare it to Kinect. Believe me, I've seen this exact manner of response tens of thousands of times. Some of the highest rated games of 2017/2018 were VR games. Let that sink in.

And, we are closer than you think to my reference point:

oh come on. You think people are going to want to spend their gaming time pantomiming sports/fighting/shooting/whatever?

This stuff would be good for novelty arcade experiences. This is not the kind of thing gamers are going to want once the novelty wears off.

gifgaf

oh come on. You think people are going to want to spend their gaming time pantomiming sports/fighting/shooting/whatever?

This stuff would be good for novelty arcade experiences. This is not the kind of thing gamers are going to want once the novelty wears off.

Yes, Darthbuzzer is completely right. Please don't assume my gen... I mean don't assume that just because YOU don't want VR that others don't either. I play Firewall a lot, its a fantastic team shooter on the PSVR, especially with the gun. I see a lot of other people play nightly too.

Checkout reddit sometime, r/psvr r/oculus r/oculusquest r/vive r/vive_vr r/virtualreality. If you did some research you would see that people are desperate for new hardware and new games. Some even say that cant go back to flat gaming although not me, I still love playing on a monitor/TV.

Techies

Well I'm already having a lot of fun with VR, cannot wait for the Quest which is just a few days away. I consider that the game changer,
If others don't want to join in on the fun, that's their problem. I'm having the time of my life, keep discovering new and awesome games/experiences and almost had a few heart attacks too...

Too poor for the Index unfortunately, but saved enough for the Quest, going wireless just feels like the next step for me. I want that freedom of movement.

My wife fell in love with Kinect after trying the ping pong game at Best Buy. Seems

I've also seen this response many times.

I'll say it again. VR does not require you to stand up. I have no idea why people force this idea.

And as for the novelty factor, it won't have a chance to wear off the more real it gets.

Last edited:

Rajack

This is exactly the shortsighted kind of threads that irk me the most. VR, and by extension AR have many applications, both in gaming and outside gaming. Both are going absolutely nowhere and if anything will become more and more prevalent as the hardware becomes cheaper and technology catches up to the specific needs of both VR and AR like the per pixel LED screens that were just prototyped. I'm personally taking a class that is specifically for developing applications for Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality. If these classes are popping up in public community colleges then there's something to be said about the staying power of the two platforms. The class I'm taking has its own dedicated lab replete with 4 dedicated HTC Vive setups and a Microsoft Hololens. We are currently making rudimentary VR games in Unity. It's actually surprisingly easy to do.

gifgaf

I've also seen this response many times.

I'll say it again. VR does not require you to stand up. I have no idea why people force this idea.

And as for the novelty factor, it won't have a chance to wear off the more real it gets.

Exactly, I don't stand for most games. Sometimes if I feel like being particularly immersed in firewall I will stand but mostly i'm sitting. There are games I do need to stand though, Beat Saber is one but its such a fun game and it makes you feel like moving anyway.

Romulus

You're crazy. lol. I want VR versions of most anything I can get, going back to a flat monitor or TV sucks. Zero depth perception and no true scale is absolutely soul sucking. Those two things alone are game changers by themselves but together is revolutionary. It's incredibly stark and drastic, more than going back two full generations of gaming. I recently went back and forth playing Borderlands 2 on a monitor then VR, its indescribable how big the difference is in immersion. It felt like the life of the game was completely drained from the experience on my monitor.

The problem is there's about 1.5-3 million more people like me every year, and its not slowing down. We buy a ton of games too, so that's even worse for people who want VR to fail. Right now, its sort of managable for VR haters, but the more people try the tech and the better the tech becomes, it will be interesting. But again, the real problem for anti-VR people is software sales, people are supporting these devices even in the early years where its still cumbersome and expensive. The tech is improving leaps and bounds, and its getting cheaper.

Last edited:

egocrata

Banned
Problem is, I hate, hate, hate strapping things to my head or wearing gloves, I don’t want to dress up to play a game. I don’t want to lose track of the room. I don’t want to spend $400 to do it, either.

It might be the future, but I don’t like it. Have fun with it, however.

Top Bottom