• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR Is Stalling For No Reason

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
D Darak yeah that would cause vom. FWIW the only thing that's made me feel queasy is the BBC ISS space station thingy. Sometimes my stomach can get a tiny bit iffy when reversing my car in a racing game but that's a tiny tiny effect.

My Quake VR was using the rift touch controllers hence avoiding gunface, maybe it wasn't always that way or I got lucky or something. It's fucking epic though - monsters become scary again in VR. Creepers in Minecraft in VR (note the official minecraft VR is shit, but there's a wonderful mod pack out there that does a far better job).

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
The problem with Vr to me is the hassle.

Putting on the headset and wearing it is too much hassle for the experience. It was cool the first 10x I used it but I'd honestly rather just play a normal game.

VR makes it feel like I'm actually doing something and when I am playing a game, I want to feel like I'm doing NOTHING.

It starts to feel like a burden. Similar to having to go to a grocery store to get cat food when you don't feel like going.

Plus the games suck.
Yeah it’s amazing that people can’t realize this.

I’m going to go ahead and call this shark sandwich’s law: any gaming technology that purports to increase immersion will ultimately be discarded as a gimmick if it has any cost whatsoever in terms of inconvenience or discomfort.

You’d think this would be obvious after stereoscopic 3D failed. Even wearing a pair of glasses that are barely worse than your typical sunglasses was deemed too high a price for something that seemed “obviously better than watching a 2D screen”.

People are perfectly capable of becoming fully absorbed in entertainment without needing to immerse them with sensory input. People even become fully immersed in books where there is zero sensory immersion.

JCK75

Those are AA/AAA titles, except for Moss and Hellblade, the latter of which is almost like a AAA game anyway.

But I do agree with your point though, that we need more AAA games.

I've never heard of them, but that may be the other issue.. making your great game exclusive to one headset instead of taking the Open Approach of the Vive hurts your chances of the tech taking off.

I tried every VR device and all of them are like toys that you want to try once and leaved so is not a good way to spend you money.

Anyway, every day on Steam there´re lots of VR games that sells nothing. VR never was something that works.
Big contradiction here. You can't claim to have tried every VR headset while saying VR doesn't work. You should know full well that it does work.
I would but >$300 is too high for me

I’m willing to jump in at $199
PSVR has some bundles at $200 during Black Friday. The Moss + Astro Bot bundle is one of them, and Windows MR sells for $200 usually on Amazon.

Yeah it’s amazing that people can’t realize this.

I’m going to go ahead and call this shark sandwich’s law: any gaming technology that purports to increase immersion will ultimately be discarded as a gimmick if it has any cost whatsoever in terms of inconvenience or discomfort.

You’d think this would be obvious after stereoscopic 3D failed. Even wearing a pair of glasses that are barely worse than your typical sunglasses was deemed too high a price for something that seemed “obviously better than watching a 2D screen”.

People are perfectly capable of becoming fully absorbed in entertainment without needing to immerse them with sensory input. People even become fully immersed in books where there is zero sensory immersion.
That's hardly full immersion. You never forget you're looking at a screen and always realize your center of reference. (ie: you're in real life)

You'd be wrong by the way, as headphones including gaming headphones are mainstream despite their inconvenience.

Most people don't want to buy 144Hz monitors either, but no one is saying that they are stalling because no one is trying to make games exclusively for them.

VR is a new kind of display. Buy it if you want, don't if you don't want to, just like with any other display device. But don't cripple the device's market by segregating it for no apparent reason.

If anything, VR must be selling better than 144Hz monitors. And yet people say VR is stalling, instead of 144Hz monitors!
That is a terrible example. Any game can played on a 144Hz monitor. For VR to be effective a game has to be developed for VR. You can't just play Destiny on a VR headset and call it Destiny VR.

Tumle

Well this is awkward, I managed to play Quake 1 and 2 in VR without any issues, it was a fucking blast actually. Much much better than the god-awful drek that is Doom VR. Teleporting needs to die in a fire. The biggest issue in straight conversion from screen to VR btw is gunface. One needs to separate out the direction of looking and the direction the gun is pointing, so as to avoid that, which of course makes shooting a little harder, but the immersion benefit is well worth it.

Oh and Valve won't create a killer app - they don't really have that capability anymore.
Of topic a little, but over on itch.io someone has posted a Wolfenstein3d Vr port. it’s actually quite good😊

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Of topic a little, but over on itch.io someone has posted a Wolfenstein3d Vr port. it’s actually quite good😊

I'd call that on-topic, and I'll be checking that out. Thank you for the pointer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Grimmrobe

Well this is awkward, I managed to play Quake 1 and 2 in VR without any issues, it was a fucking blast actually. Much much better than the god-awful drek that is Doom VR.

Off topic a little, but over on itch.io someone has posted a Wolfenstein3d Vr port. it’s actually quite good😊

Finally, some sense in this thread.

icycalm knows what he's talking about. The industry will just have to come around to his opinions slowly, because to do it quickly apparently requires genius.

Tumle

Finally, some sense in this thread.

icycalm knows what he's talking about. The industry will just have to come around to his opinions slowly, because to do it quickly apparently requires genius.
To be fair it’s not just a copy/paste kind of deal here.
there has gone some work into making it For VR

jeremymichaels

Neo Member
I don't believe VR is stalling, it is trotting along just fine. Granted, things like cost, tech specs and form are getting in its way slightly but people are still purchasing and VR is starting to be used more in a commercial sense (think education and training etc) so I think stalling is a strong use of terms

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When I read this thread it’s clearly that OP doesn’t respect others opinion.

OP: “VR stalls for no reason the periphal is great”

Other posters: “comes with literally thousands of arguments”

OP: “no that’s not true! The only true statement is VR stalls for no reason!”

OP it is ok for you to enjoy VR, but of course there’s a reason it stalls. It’s fine to like something that isn’t mainstream.

Athena~

Banned
They need to make everything lighter and wireless. Can't play VR more than 2 hrs without getting exhausted.

VR is stalling because even the most polished ecosystem product, PlayStation VR, is proof of concept quality.

The games are phenomenal but jesus christ the hassle of getting it all connected, positioning the camera right, sitting in the precisely correct place, keeping your controller in sight, the blurry edges and pixelated centre, cable dangling all around you is not a mass market experience.

And I am saying this as someone who is going to vote Astro Bot GOTY 2018.

VR will un-stall when it’s wireless, no external processor required, inside out tracking, high resolution display. Basically when people can lean back on a sofa and start playing right away.

VR is stalling for very good reason, but I'm very glad you mention what should have been the obvious: ergonomics.

I have 3 mobile headsets, just for experiments and fun, that I have touched for about a year now. I have an Oculus and PSVR that I seldom touch because fuck a scuba-diving FOV with low-res, tangled cable, and PS2-era graphics (save some exceptions).

However I disagree with one thing: it should have an external processor, in fact any external process it should be able to tether to while being wireless because a VR headsets is NOT a fucking system or computing device but a visual/interactive interface like a screen, a webcam or a keyboard.

Last edited:

Chittagong

Gold Member
VR is stalling for very good reason, but I'm very glad you mention what should have been the obvious: ergonomics.

I have 3 mobile headsets, just for experiments and fun, that I have touched for about a year now. I have an Oculus and PSVR that I seldom touch because fuck a scuba-diving FOV with low-res, tangled cable, and PS2-era graphics (save some exceptions).

However I disagree with one thing: it should have an external processor, in fact any external process it should be able to tether to while being wireless because a VR headsets is NOT a fucking system or computing device but a visual/interactive interface like a screen, a webcam or a keyboard.

I think we do agree. I meant the PVRVR breakout box. So no box, all intelligence in the console

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
VR is probably stalling because I never saw one, never tried one (except early oculus) never seen a game for one and never heard anyone talk about one.

There’s almost no chatter on gaming forums as far as general browsing without seeking it out tells me.

In conclusion, it’s probably cumbersome, even more antisocial than regular gaming and not really all that practical.

MilesTeg

Banned
I haven't used any VR headset, but my take on the matter is that the displays used aren't quite there yet for Mass market, and also price.

I think to hit mass adoption, VR headsets must be packaged with the console. It's kind of like selling the Wii without the Wii Remote.

Once Sony, for example, can bundle a console and headset together for $499 that includes a VR only killer app, then we have something.

PS5 and possibly next Xbox is the next chance for VR to hit mass market adoption. Until then I don't see much happening.

Unfortunately you need the consumer to be interested in purchasing the device, and right now we just aren't there yet.

If rumors are to be believed about VR breaker box built in to PS5, that would suggest Sony is going strong on VR obviously.

ZywyPL

Banned
The reason remains the same from the very begining of the VR hype - it has no games, literally.

There is this general misconception about VR that it's just a "new kind of display" - no it's not, it's also a completely new way of input/controls (and a very inprecise one for the matter), hence it requires the applications to be completely written around that concept. It's a seperate entity, just like Kinect and PS Move - they didn't storm the market (let alone replaced the ordinary controllers) after the same huge initial hype, because they can provide only so many different experiences, all that could have been done on them has been done, people got bored with it after a while, and went back to typical "comfy couch" gaming.

VR on the other hand is even waaaay more limited, first and foremost, it's first person perspective only by its nature, so you can already throw away 90% of the genres out of the window - does this alone sounds like a good foundation for being any successful? Secondly, the way you control the perspective, look around seperately from your hands makes the input controls super inprecise, again - there's a reason why most of the VR "games" are limited to just walking and looking around, and not a single real FPS ever got a VR patch. The only one big, proper full-game VR ever received is Resident Evil 7, which as I just mentioned has very limited actions you can take, it's basically a point&click game, and the whole game concept was redesigned compared to all previous entrances in order to work under VR, which just proves one of my earlier points. One could say that VR is perfect for racing games, but then again - they provide 5-7 different perspectives, not just the cockpit view, so it's either a VR-only mode or no VR at all, which just further proves how impractical VR is, even in something that seems like a perfect fit for it.

Someone here compared VR with 144Hz monitors - those screens are in fact just a typical display devices, without any connection to imput devices, hence they work on literally EVERTYHING - 1st person view, 3rd personview, racing games, sport games, fightning games, puzzle games, isomertic point&click games like RPG, RTS, MOBA, you name it, even Windows desktop, and because they are so universal the gaming screens market is constantly growing year after year. 3D - kind of same deal, it was just a display type, that could have been applied to any type of game, the only problem with it was that it came out waaay too early, they tried to promote it on consoles which run "2D" games at laughful 600p and 24-26FPS, when 3D required double the processing power... That being said - in a 4K 60FPS era, I would love to see 3D coming back to life in native FHD 60FPS - playing games with large, rich worlds like Witcher 3, Horizon: ZD, RDR2 etc. could have been such an amazing experience. But we will never know, sadly.

But going back to VR - it truly amazes me how people can keep being blinded over and over again by the next, supposely better VR because of simple resolution or refresh rate bump, I mean, I could make a 2x16K 240Hz goggles, but guess what? They would still have no games. It's not made for games, simply put. It's only a matter of time when people realize that VR is a dead end, I fully understand that hope dies last, and there are many many people out there who invested quite a fortune into VR hype train, but I'm afraid the hardware will be never put into a good use.

I would anticipate Windows Mixed Reality 2 in 2019 with 'ready for primetime' headsets and games by the holiday season. Doesn't matter that Windows MR has current 'failed', they've all failed.

Makariel

VR is probably stalling because I never saw one, never tried one (except early oculus) never seen a game for one and never heard anyone talk about one.
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/playstation-vr-thread-2-reloaded.1356694/
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSVR/

Actually a lot of chatter, I got my PSVR during Black Friday and I'm loving it so far. I also don't fully understand the folks who say they can't play more than 10.7 seconds without feeling seasick. I'm prone to motion sickness, the first time I played Doom on a regular screen in 1993 I was sick for two days. I could never finish Half Life 2 because I just got sick from playing. However, I can play Astro Bot on my PSVR for hours without any breaks or issues. However, half a minute of the VR mission of Star Wars Battlefront and I'm projectile vomiting all the way to Endor. The problem is not the headset, respectively the screen, it's the games and how used we are to motion.

Last edited:

VR is a computing device though. It just isn't a full computing platform unless it's standalone like the Oculus Go and Quest.

PS2 era graphics is hyperbole. PS3 is more appropriate and even then, the real high quality stuff fits in nicely with the current generation.

The reason remains the same from the very begining of the VR hype - it has no games, literally.

There is this general misconception about VR that it's just a "new kind of display" - no it's not, it's also a completely new way of input/controls (and a very inprecise one for the matter), hence it requires the applications to be completely written around that concept. It's a seperate entity, just like Kinect and PS Move - they didn't storm the market (let alone replaced the ordinary controllers) after the same huge initial hype, because they can provide only so many different experiences, all that could have been done on them has been done, people got bored with it after a while, and went back to typical "comfy couch" gaming.

VR on the other hand is even waaaay more limited, first and foremost, it's first person perspective only by its nature, so you can already throw away 90% of the genres out of the window - does this alone sounds like a good foundation for being any successful? Secondly, the way you control the perspective, look around seperately from your hands makes the input controls super inprecise, again - there's a reason why most of the VR "games" are limited to just walking and looking around, and not a single real FPS ever got a VR patch. The only one big, proper full-game VR ever received is Resident Evil 7, which as I just mentioned has very limited actions you can take, it's basically a point&click game, and the whole game concept was redesigned compared to all previous entrances in order to work under VR, which just proves one of my earlier points. One could say that VR is perfect for racing games, but then again - they provide 5-7 different perspectives, not just the cockpit view, so it's either a VR-only mode or no VR at all, which just further proves how impractical VR is, even in something that seems like a perfect fit for it.

Someone here compared VR with 144Hz monitors - those screens are in fact just a typical display devices, without any connection to imput devices, hence they work on literally EVERTYHING - 1st person view, 3rd personview, racing games, sport games, fightning games, puzzle games, isomertic point&click games like RPG, RTS, MOBA, you name it, even Windows desktop, and because they are so universal the gaming screens market is constantly growing year after year. 3D - kind of same deal, it was just a display type, that could have been applied to any type of game, the only problem with it was that it came out waaay too early, they tried to promote it on consoles which run "2D" games at laughful 600p and 24-26FPS, when 3D required double the processing power... That being said - in a 4K 60FPS era, I would love to see 3D coming back to life in native FHD 60FPS - playing games with large, rich worlds like Witcher 3, Horizon: ZD, RDR2 etc. could have been such an amazing experience. But we will never know, sadly.

But going back to VR - it truly amazes me how people can keep being blinded over and over again by the next, supposely better VR because of simple resolution or refresh rate bump, I mean, I could make a 2x16K 240Hz goggles, but guess what? They would still have no games. It's not made for games, simply put. It's only a matter of time when people realize that VR is a dead end, I fully understand that hope dies last, and there are many many people out there who invested quite a fortune into VR hype train, but I'm afraid the hardware will be never put into a good use.
I have a question. Have you actually used VR at all in the last few years or is this just your observations from seeing a few videos and a few articles? Because it seems like the latter.

1. Saying there are no games is to ignore the fact that one of the best games this year is a VR only game, and that is backed up by critical reception. One of the best PC games of 2017 was also a VR game.

2. VR is not nearly as limiting as you think. Every perspective and genre works in VR except for a 2D game. Almost everything that works is a benefit with a few exceptions like 2.5D fighting games.

3. Most games are not limited to looking and walking around. This used to be common in 2016 but doesn't make the cut anymore. At the very least, there is more than enough out there that deters from this.

4. FPS games getting a VR patch would rely on developers expecting a good ROI which is risky in the current stage of the market, and VR FPS games made from the ground up make much more sense anyway.

5. There are many other big and proper VR games other than RE7.

6. Racing games work fine in 3rd person or inside the cockpit. It doesn't have to be one or the other.

7. Every single genre you listed for monitors just now is a genre that works in VR.

8. VR is not a dead end. You simply understand nothing about it, that's all.

You speak of misconceptions, but here you are, trying to spread as many misconceptions as possible. Your comment is a good laugh, by the way.

Last edited:
Current VR is a dead end with the tethered nature and clunky controllers, not to mention poor game experiences. When all of those things are majorly 'leveled up', it will start to become something that sells in the 10s of millions per quarter instead of low millions.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Not all games can work in VR unless you put them in some virtual-giant-screen setup which I believe you can already do on a software level anyway. Actual VR game design has to be specialized one way or another to accomodate VR which could negatively affect non-VR use, and vice versa. Unless we're talking about something like a racing game where VR can be just a new camera angle function - and I believe most such games on PC are quick to add VR support usually anyway - but that scenario is far from all games as the OP wants to claim. I'm not a naysayer, I really want to get in VR, there are tons of experiences I want to try and tons more I wish to see being made, not all of which are super ambitious AAA stuff that would break a dev's bank (like, why the fuck haven't we seen some serious lightgun-esque shooters that can clash with the classics of the genre, instead some amateur hour wave shooters are the norm, with a few classy exceptions like SUPERHOT VR) but VR is stalling for other reasons, like the price point which only just recently became a good deal in the USA but can be very behind in other countries since it's additional cost over the platforms and we haven't seen if the big boys' plans for the future are on par since HTC's latest release is totally not what most wanted to see and Oculus seems to be lagging behind in presenting a new and upgraded model and Microsoft Mixed Reality stuff being a mixed bag with the better quality sets not being on par with the likes of Oculus due to the fundamentals yet costing the same. It's just in a weird place right now, hopefully a new Oculus set can provide the expeced improvements like foveated rendering in a better display, improved controllers, in the same currently sensible price point (but not just keep that in America), completely replacing the old model rather than gouging people with a premium super expensive set like HTC. Oh and, giving you this point, not treating their thing as a separate platform but making it and their games fully and freely compatible with the open VR standards both ways.

danielberg

Neophyte

Racing games in vr just like horror games in vr are simply better than playing them non vr thats is just a fact, not to mention that vr actually makes you better in several genres especially racing games its insane how much better i got after just one hour in wipeout vr, you now have wipeout world records being broken by vr its crazy lol
I can never go back playing horror games non vr and get the same horror and i never can go back playing racing games and get the same adrenaline, in vr you get a whole new appreciation for racing games physics to the point the the hardest track in wipeout and my formerly most hated track sebenco climb is now my favorite because getting corners just right in vr feels insane.

Last edited:
Current VR is a dead end with the tethered nature and clunky controllers, not to mention poor game experiences. When all of those things are majorly 'leveled up', it will start to become something that sells in the 10s of millions per quarter instead of low millions.
There are poor game experiences, but can we stop pretending this is all that's on offer? This year, PSVR alone has had more than 5 really highly rated games release this year, more than standard PS4 exclusive games even. Though of course I'm not undermining the fact that God of War was PS4's highest exclusive.

The point is, one of the highest rated PS4 games of all time and 2018 games in general is a PSVR exclusive. That, along with the fact that there are plenty of other great VR games that released this year should be proof enough that there are some extremely good games now.

Last edited:

Flyinmunky

I had a Oculus rift dk1 , DK2 and had a Vive. I think VR is here to stay and is only going to get better. Saying that though, the tech for me personally is not there yet, it is slowly getting there. Same with software, everyone is still learning and it will be a few more years before we have the content and tech at a level id be happy with paying for.

I will jump back into VR when its wireless, light weight, comfy, easy set up. FOV, resolution/ Screendoor etc all need a big increase/improvement.

gspat

I've seen people wear heavier, more cumbersome things on their heads - Not to mention on the rest of themselves when they go out to brush snow off their car, scrape their windows and shovel their sidewalks here where I live, and it's not even 40 below yet.

Wearing the PSVR headset is nothing.

Blam

1. Social VR. Pretty obvious how world-changing this is.
2. Telepresence through things such as 360 videos. Again, world-changing once the resolution and positional tracking are solved.
3. Screen simulation and VR as a computing platform. Allows you to eventually replace tens of thousands of dollars worth of real world equipment and still exceed the capabilities of the real world equipment.
4. Self-improvement through public speaking, roleplaying, sculpting, painting, trying new things such as DJing.
5. Education.
6. Architecture design and product design.
7. Medical usage.
8. Escapism and treating and/or suppressing things like depression / claustrophobia.
9. Training applications.
Ah, so features that are either in their infancy or not even a blip on the horizon.

You know, hover boards will also sell billions. They'll revolutionise the travel industry. They don't exist yet, but one day they will and then everything will change!!!

Call me when all of these features exist and are widely adopted. Until then, I'd like something more than speculation to support your claims that VR will be as popular as smartphones.

Since I guess I should inform Zewp.

1. VRChat, and a bunch of other social apps, RecRoom, Bigscreen, HFVR, Lavender, . Facebook Spaces just a few of the many currently out and coming out Social VR apps. VRChat has blown up and is a huge factor in driving VR sales. Those sports bar games too. Pokerstars VR as well.
2. Facebook is working in this field. High Fidelity VR has sorta done this already with their massive screens showing up at concerts/edm raves showing people and avatars on the screen (one side irl other vr)
3. Bigscreen, Oculus Dash, Virtual Desktop. Literally thousands of these and built into the devices.
4. Basically all of those exist, VRChat once again being a huge part of this
5. Assassin's Creed Origins has a educational VR Mode, which teaches you about Egypt.
6. UE4 allows you to build in VR, and Oculud Medium, ZBrush, Google Blocks, and a few others let you build and create in VR.
7. Doctors can use this to see xrays in 3D as much as this is a small spaces that isn't being worked on it is there.
8. VRChat again helps with this, lets you escape.
9. Flight Sim, Racing, Rally, FPS, all already in place and being used in the military.

So Zewp no these all exists and aren't horizon blips but infact being used already. Don't act like this shit doesn't exist because it does. Their being adopted but not publicly just all privately.

I've seen people wear heavier, more cumbersome things on their heads - Not to mention on the rest of themselves when they go out to brush snow off their car, scrape their windows and shovel their sidewalks here where I live, and it's not even 40 below yet.

Wearing the PSVR headset is nothing.

People wear cumbersome things on their heads in the dead of winter because they have to. VR is a 'nice to have' entertainment option and it can't be uncomfortable for what it is. Stop making excuses as to why VR is not mainstream. The biggest issue surrounding it is lack of consumer awareness and confusion as to what it is. You can't even properly advertise on TV because of the nature of what it is.

gspat

People wear cumbersome things on their heads in the dead of winter because they have to. VR is a 'nice to have' entertainment option and it can't be uncomfortable for what it is. Stop making excuses as to why VR is not mainstream. The biggest issue surrounding it is lack of consumer awareness and confusion as to what it is. You can't even properly advertise on TV because of the nature of what it is.
It's all in the perception. My post was to point out the absurdity of the complaint.

If you really were going out into space, you'd be clamoring for that 5 pound helmet for your suit. Simulate the experience with a 1 pound headset? complain.

Drive an F1 car on a circuit? You'd need a 3 pound helmet. Simulate it with a 1 pound helmet? complain.

Go into an actual war zone? You'd want that helmet they give you. Simulate it? complain.

Wear something to provide you with a simulation of an experience you'd never get to try in real life? complain.

I'm not making excuses for why VR isn't bigger than it is, because I don't honestly know why.

Getting your VR legs takes time, but so did learning to ride a bike. Moving without teleporting is the weirdest feeling at first, it eases up after you practice.

Unfortunately, I guess it's just easier to complain about something than actually do it?

The saddest part is that people complain about the cost, but I see people posting here about dropping loads of cash to buy multiple NDS, N3DS, Vitas etc. Even the Xbox elite controller was as expensive as PSVR was on black Friday.

People expect severe level of comfort for entertainment things. I don't understand why you keep comparing to mission critical type headwear for things like space, F-1 racing and so on. VR for home is not mission critical.

Honestly you protest too much about this thing. VR will eventually become a 'thing' when it becomes good enough in all aspects.

Last edited:

gspat

People expect severe level of comfort for entertainment things. I don't understand why you keep comparing to mission critical type headwear for things like space, F-1 racing and so on. VR for home is not mission critical.

Honestly you protest too much about this thing. VR will eventually become a 'thing' when it becomes good enough in all aspects.
:)

This just in... "Mission Critical" simulation style games should never be made or played period because... gamer comfort zone.

That's what you seem to be arguing. And that is patently absurd.

The only area I see VR lacking in right now is the number of high quality games. Not that there aren't any, because there are some really good ones.

But, good games take time. Even the best studios can't turn out an awesome regular game in less than 2 - 3 years.

This iteration of VR is barely 2 years old. Studios working on the truly amazing stuff most likely didn't start on day one and won't be releasing anything for at least another year or so.

If VR is still stagnant at the end of it's third year, I'd hazard a guess that it'll drop off and probably die as a gaming platform for x number of years again, until someone else revives it again.

Until then I'll remain optimistic.

:)

This just in... "Mission Critical" simulation style games should never be made or played period because... gamer comfort zone.

That's what you seem to be arguing. And that is patently absurd.

The only area I see VR lacking in right now is the number of high quality games. Not that there aren't any, because there are some really good ones.

But, good games take time. Even the best studios can't turn out an awesome regular game in less than 2 - 3 years.

This iteration of VR is barely 2 years old. Studios working on the truly amazing stuff most likely didn't start on day one and won't be releasing anything for at least another year or so.

If VR is still stagnant at the end of it's third year, I'd hazard a guess that it'll drop off and probably die as a gaming platform for x number of years again, until someone else revives it again.

Until then I'll remain optimistic.
Even I know there are many issues with VR hardware today. The resolution is low, the field of view is low, it's wired by default (aside from standalones), you may get eye strain or headaches, headsets are not comfortable enough to be used by the average person for many hours at a time, and the price point is still too high for the average person except for recent Black Friday PSVR sales. (I don't count Windows MR at $200 because there is zero marketing and almost no one knows about them unfortunately)

Now I know resolution can be a non-issue in many games, but the full user experience does not provide such a consistent experience yet. Once headsets have the clarity of 1080p monitors in a few years, no one will ever complain about it again.

The average user needs the 2007 iPhone to jump in. Something simple, easy, sleek, stylish, useful, cheap.

VR will become mainstream in gaming in about 5 years when the hardware is good enough for your average gamer, and will only experience huge exponential growth afterwards.

Last edited:
VR today is VR chat and apps like it. They should work with that premise. VR Chat in a Vive or Rift is basically the most fun you can have in VR, and it beats most regular games too in terms of enjoyment vs hours spent.

Last edited:

bilderberg

vr is stalling because usb 3 sucks and the whole thing is a pain in the ass to set up. Also, if you have kids and family are you really just gonna shut yourself off from the world for a couple hours? God forbid there's a fire or someone's trying to break into your house. I'm paranoid enough just wearing headphones about that.

joe_zazen

Kids are growning up with more mental illness and suicide because of ever present tech and the corporate monetizers of human psychology, and this magic vr/ar future controlled by Facebook is going to make things better how?

We are at a point where the down sides to invasive corporate tech are becoming apparent.

Last edited:

Zewp

Since I guess I should inform Zewp.

1. VRChat, and a bunch of other social apps, RecRoom, Bigscreen, HFVR, Lavender, . Facebook Spaces just a few of the many currently out and coming out Social VR apps. VRChat has blown up and is a huge factor in driving VR sales. Those sports bar games too. Pokerstars VR as well.
2. Facebook is working in this field. High Fidelity VR has sorta done this already with their massive screens showing up at concerts/edm raves showing people and avatars on the screen (one side irl other vr)
3. Bigscreen, Oculus Dash, Virtual Desktop. Literally thousands of these and built into the devices.
4. Basically all of those exist, VRChat once again being a huge part of this
5. Assassin's Creed Origins has a educational VR Mode, which teaches you about Egypt.
6. UE4 allows you to build in VR, and Oculud Medium, ZBrush, Google Blocks, and a few others let you build and create in VR.
7. Doctors can use this to see xrays in 3D as much as this is a small spaces that isn't being worked on it is there.
8. VRChat again helps with this, lets you escape.
9. Flight Sim, Racing, Rally, FPS, all already in place and being used in the military.

So Zewp no these all exists and aren't horizon blips but infact being used already. Don't act like this shit doesn't exist because it does. Their being adopted but not publicly just all privately.

Since I guess I should help Blam, who didn't do so well in English at school:

Ah, so features that are either in their infancy or not even a blip on the horizon.

Call me when all of these features exist and are widely adopted. Until then, I'd like something more than speculation to support your claims that VR will be as popular as smartphones.

The criteria is that they exist and are being widely adopted. See Blam, all this shit might exist and while it is "infact" (sic) being used already, don't act like it's about to replace smartphone because it's not. I'm still not seeing any evidence here for VR replacing mobile phones.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that exact same things you and Darthbuzzer are saying about VR, about Google Glass. Where's Google Glass, Becky? Where is it.

Their being adopted but not publicly just all privately.

*they're

Last edited:

Makariel

vr is stalling because usb 3 sucks and the whole thing is a pain in the ass to set up.
Setting up my PSVR was a breeze. There are a dozen different VR headsets on the market, which specific one was so tricky to set up?
Also, if you have kids and family are you really just gonna shut yourself off from the world for a couple hours?
Yes! That is probably the best bit about it! My flat isn't very large, and I sometimes just need some space and me-time. Putting on the headset transports me virtually into a different world. In the UK there is a certain tradition of men with families to retreat to their shed and do important things (i.e. be left alone for a while). VR brings the shed into the living room. It's fantastic!

Last edited:

The criteria is that they exist and are being widely adopted. See Blam, all this shit might exist and while it is "infact" (sic) being used already, don't act like it's about to replace smartphone because it's not. I'm still not seeing any evidence here for VR replacing mobile phones.

It wasn't that long ago that people were saying that exact same things you and Darthbuzzer are saying about VR, about Google Glass. Where's Google Glass, Becky? Where is it.

*they're
Google Glass was never going to replace anything. Rift / Vive / PSVR / Windows MR were never going to replace anything. But both examples lay the groundwork for an inevitable replacement of smartphones. VR and AR form two halves of XR. And XR is unquestionably going to replace smartphones and be a far bigger impact on the world and daily life than anything in the last 50 years.

This isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when. When the tech gets there. When we have sunglasses that do VR and AR. (therefore making them XR glasses)

Last edited:
Kids are growning up with more mental illness and suicide because of ever present tech and the corporate monetizers of human psychology, and this magic vr/ar future controlled by Facebook is going to make things better how?

We are at a point where the down sides to invasive corporate tech are becoming apparent.
If anything VR/AR will help mental illnesses and mental state since you can control your reality. Maybe that reality is partially controlled by some corporation, but it's at least a much better solution than trying to escape via some other form that we use today.

Blam

*they're

I see we've got to go to personal attacks now? Lol I don't give a rats ass if my English isn't good. I don't grammar check my posts.

Where's Google Glass? It's canned because Google went and pursued other ventures. Google isn't one to continue something if it doesn't immediately work.

Regardless Intel and other companies have now stepped into this realm and Intels product is basically a much much more advanced version of the Glass. One of the things they are working on is projecting to your retina and not to a screen but they have both working and don't see it replacing anything but being a way to access all your info.

I also have never said anything to that degree about Google Glass. I never saw it as a consumer product. It costed around $2500 if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Fuz

Banned
"No reason", lol.

Wake me up when we have wireless, good controls and some multidirectional treadmills.

Makariel

Wake me up when we have wireless, good controls and some multidirectional treadmills.
If you have a multidirectional threadmill (which already exists, just cost an arm and a leg), why would you need wireless? You'd never move from the spot ant the wire can just hang from the ceiling. In fact, I have my PSVR wire hanging from the ceiling (just put a hook on there) and it never bothers me.

Good controls we already have.

Top Bottom