• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR needs more social games like Star Trek: Bridge Crew (Also new gameplay video)

Looks interesting.

Take us in to investigate. Full impulse. Maximum shields.

Target scanning sensors at the anomaly. I want a full spectrum analysis.

Maligna

Banned
Very excited for this and can't wait to get my copy after its release. I hope its an amazing experience. VR anything Star Trek just sounds so much fun.

Some people are disappointed with the lack of away missions, but that would be a whole other game play style.

Looks interesting.

Take us in to investigate. Full impulse. Maximum shields.

Target scanning sensors at the anomaly. I want a full spectrum analysis.

Yeah the team really needs to coordinate and listen to the Captain. You can't beam survivors aboard with the shields still up etc.

karasu

I dont want social games at all. I hate playing a game with someone squawking in my ear about what I'm doing wrong or how I'm not playing a role correctly. I want adventure games. Point and click and everything in between.

luulubuu

I just want a VR startrek game where I am captain and all my crew are friends in real life. Then when anyone makes a suggestion or an idea I tell them to fuck off because I am the captain.

Sounds like Elite Dangerous Horizon VR post multi crew update

After watching the video, this looks fantastic and lovely, I want it so bad <3

Maligna

Banned
I dont want social games at all. I hate playing a game with someone squawking in my ear about what I'm doing wrong or how I'm not playing a role correctly. I want adventure games. Point and click and everything in between.

Hmm. Well, there's a single player mode in Star Trek for you then.

ranmafan

Some people are disappointed with the lack of away missions, but that would be a whole other game play style.

While such a game would be cool to have, Im fine with just the whole controlling the ship gameplay we have here. Thats what I want so Im happy with what we are getting.

Maligna

Banned
While such a game would be cool to have, Im fine with just the whole controlling the ship gameplay we have here. Thats what I want so Im happy with what we are getting.

Agreed. Being on the bridge is enough wish fulfillment for now. Ha ha.

I'm a huge Star Trek fan, and a bridge-based game was something I'd always imagined would be a great fit for VR if it ever came about in my lifetime - it's insanely awesome to see it actually become a real thing now! :D

Bluecondor

The premise behind this looks really interesting. But - I think it will be a nightmare if you play solo and have to group up with 4 randoms.

Based on my experience playing with random people in online games, the odds will always be against you if you try and play with 4 other random players.

The odds of finding 4 randoms who will each take their roles seriously, communicate and devote legitimate time and effort to their role have to be astronomically against you if you are playing on PSVR.

You have the guy with the muted mike because his gf/wife/mother is asleep in the next room.

You have the guy who means well, but then gets three phone calls during the game and just leaves you there hanging.

You have the guy who has no idea what he is doing and just wants to spam warp drive.

You have the over-the-top try hard who screams at everyone else for not playing the game according to Star Trek lore.

I hate to say it - but you have a much greater chance of getting one or more of these guys in your crew than landing a dream team.

It will be really interesting to see how they handle matchmaking. In other Ubisoft games (like The Division and Watch Dogs 2), they just throw you in with randoms - with minimal level requirements, etc.

Fisty

Despite yawning at the thought of playing a Star Trek game, the premise and implementation of VR could make this an amazing experience. Really cool to see Ubi go hard into VR, Eagle Flight was awesome and a lot of fun, I have WW but haven't played yet

And crossplay with PC/PSVR has been fantastic also, good job Ubi

Is there anything like Xbox Live's Clubs and Looking for Group on Playstation so you can maybe weed out the undesirables and find people on the same wavelength?

Fisty

Is there anything like Xbox Live's Clubs and Looking for Group on Playstation so you can maybe weed out the undesirables and find people on the same wavelength?

The game will likely have a few communities on PSN, all social games have pretty active LFG etc groups

border

I like the whole premise of the game, but it looks really dauntingly hard to learn. I have pretty serious reservations about playing it in PSVR too. I think the low-resolution display will make it hard to read all the labels and panels and stuff. I'm also concerned that the Move controllers are too wonky to handle the very precise motions that seem to be necessary. Buttons on the consoles are like an inch apart, and I'm not confident that I will always be able to hit the button I intend to.

It seems like the kind of game that requires near-perfect mission/campaign design, wherein the difficulty very slowly ramps up and each player can learn their role without being punished too much.

border

How does crossplay work with voice chat? This game seems like it will very much require constant voice communication. Has Sony opened up their APIs so that PC people can chat with those on PS4? I've never played any of the crossplay titles currently available.

Speaking of social VR games, there's a f2p one called The Wave VR. It's really weird, supposedly there are weekly events that are basically live dj sets and you're pretty much going to a show with other people in VR with crazy visuals and interaction tools. I tried dj-ing on my own, its pretty cool.

How does crossplay work with voice chat? This game seems like it will very much require constant voice communication. Has Sony opened up their APIs so that PC people can chat with those on PS4? I've never played any of the crossplay titles currently available.

I've never chatted with anyone outside of my party in Eve, but isn't the Werewolves Within based only on talking, and is cross play?

Looks like a lot of fun. Look forward to giving this a whirl upon release.

I'd crap my pants if SC even finished, with VR and the bridge controlled anything similar to this (Obviously not motion control). A man can dream!

Top Bottom