• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VR not a focus of Project Scarlett, says Phil Spencer

bitbydeath

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. We’re responding to what our customers are asking for and… nobody’s asking for VR,” Spencer said. “The vast majority of our customers know if they want a VR experience, there’s places to go get those. We see the volumes of those on PC and other places.”

Understandable, let Sony, Facebook and Valve make advancements and focus on making VR cheaper to manufacture and easier to develop for before throwing your hat in the ring in the future. Sensible. Besides, Microsoft should be focusing on new games and experiences that'll make people buy their console this time.

Last edited:
Understandable, let Sony, Facebook and Valve make advancements and focus on making VR cheaper to manufacture and easier to develop for before throwing your hat in the ring in the future. Sensible. Besides, Microsoft should be focusing on new games and experiences that'll make people buy their console this time.
Yeah. Even as someone who support VR, Xbox is not in a position to spend resources on virtual reality right now. They need a stable user base first.

pqueue

Yeah. Even as someone who support VR, Xbox is not in a position to spend resources on virtual reality right now. They need a stable user base first.
Please . they have a 40MM base, and if it is compatible with PC, much larger than that.

VR is still a non-player, from both a hardware and game POV.

No sense wasting time, effort and money on something that does not provide a significant return.

sendit

Great, VR is a shit gaming tech after all.

Agreed. VR is such a shit gaming experience that Capcom decided to make a mainline Resident Evil fully playable in VR. Additionally, instead of Valve giving the world Half Life 3, they create Half Life VR......

Bring back Kinect please.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Shmunter

I love throwing on the VR after a long stint of 2D gaming. Always impressive. And with games like Firewall Zero Hour, aka second only to COD as far as addictiveness, it goes to show proper long lasting games are more than possible in VR.

Sorry Chill Spencer. That’s minus 1 chill point for you.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
Console VR is a shit joke anyway, literally thousands of games and things to experience on PCVR and on console you're at the behest of whatever content people are willing to port or what Sony is willing to approve; and it's not much.

Total waste of time.
Sounds like a PC Master Race post. ;) PSVR has some really great games like Astro Bot or Blood & Truth. It will be even better when PS5 launches and hardware limitations stop being a huge obstacle for bringing bigger and better looking games.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah that's fair enough, MS have had enough trouble supporting their console with enough exclusive games. Why throw VR into the mix and complicate things. Let them focus on exclusives and services.

Those of us that are interested in VR (approx 5 million or so based on PSVR sales) have other options.

Three

2015...now they know their priorities

Priorities sure because they don't have the install base to support a peripheral like that but why didn't he think what he said here before:

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. "

The truth is that he is bullshitting. He isn't supporting it because he can't support it. He would if he could and would be trying his PR best to sell you it.

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
Sounds like a PC Master Race post. ;) PSVR has some really great games like Astro Bot or Blood & Truth. It will be even better when PS5 launches and hardware limitations stop being a huge obstacle for bringing bigger and better looking games.
AstroBot lmao, go play real masterpiece like SMO instead.

gifgaf

Last edited:
Good decision. VR in its current form is a fad that a huge portion of the gaming population physically can’t even use never mind afford. Only tiny numbers that actually can are interested.
Wake me up when we have Star Trek like holo decks.

sendit

I don't get it. People flip flop so much on VR.

Xbox announces : Focusing on VR for Xbox.
People : Awesome! VR finally done right

Xbox announces : Not focusing on VR
People : Good, VR is a fad and gimmick in anyway

Agreed. Just take a look at the hype this thread caused with the possibilities of Xbox getting VR:

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Meanwhile people that want VR on a console will buy the competition product. They already lost some potential 5m buyers this gen, with VR next gen having better quality, they are going to lose 5-15m potential buyers next-gen. They already sold half the amount of the consoles compared with ps4, can they really afford to lose more market share next gen?
I know that selling Xbox in EU/Asia is tough no matter what they do, but anything they can do to make it appealing in those markets is worth it.
The console is still being designed, just make a deal with Oculus to make their headsets compatible so you don't have to spend in R&D and manufacturing for your own.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Don't care for VR at all. Although ive seen a couple games that look interesting.

Microsoft not focused on vr is a good thing imo cuz they cant multitask. I just wish they were like this about kinect. So many wasted resources trying to force that pos down people's throats.

Just imagine how they'd be if they started working on AR or VR.

Never forget.... MILO 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Console VR is a shit joke anyway, literally thousands of games and things to experience on PCVR and on console you're at the behest of whatever content people are willing to port or what Sony is willing to approve; and it's not much.

Total waste of time.

You do know you can watch all sorts of movies on PSVR on PS4 using an app and use the PSVR headset on a PC or laptop for videos and games with a single, simple app right?...

TLZ

Banned
Great, VR is a shit gaming tech after all.
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Imo it's a game changer. It just needs to be much more consumer friendly. When VR becomes wireless with at least 1080p per eye and featherweight, and have the dimensions of normal glasses, nothing beats it imo. The experience is so immersive. You literally just enter a virtual reality, surrounded by a different environment and scenery in a moment. You wear a pair of glasses and everything around you changes. It's crazy. It's very refreshing.

Last edited:

lekain

Neo Member
It's probably not worth the efforts given Sony has had several years of head start. But can't they just hook VRs on PC to their ecosystem? Simply leaving it out doesn't tell much of the confidence.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
They'll regret their words & deeds when PSVR2 comes (assuming it's on par with today's PC VR systems, not like PSVR's lacking controllers).

Hopefully they will do some effort on the PC at least, Microsoft Flight Simulator could benefit from VR so much if it's not just a quick portjob.

If Microsoft had held on to WMR a little longer and updated its standards (instead of having partners in 2019 release the same outdated 2-camera tracking which can't be saved no matter how much better the screens/build quality get) we'd have had Rift S level systems sooner & cheaper. Wasted.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Priorities sure because they don't have the install base to support a peripheral like that but why didn't he think what he said here before:

“I have some issues with VR — it’s isolating and I think of games as a communal, kind of together experience. "

The truth is that he is bullshitting. He isn't supporting it because he can't support it. He would if he could and would be trying his PR best to sell you it.
Chill is showing he’s out of touch on this one. Either that or he’s a straight faced porkie pie teller

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Agreed. VR is such a shit gaming experience that Capcom decided to make a mainline Resident Evil fully playable in VR. Additionally, instead of Valve giving the world Half Life 3, they create Half Life VR......

Bring back Kinect please.

giphy.gif

Just because vr is shit doesn't mean that Kinect isn't shit either. In general these types of peripherals are shit, no matter what we call them.

gifgaf

300 ratings vs 4000 ratings 🤣😂😁
40 years of Flat screen gaming VS 4 years of VR.

Just because vr is shit doesn't mean that Kinect isn't shit either. In general these types of peripherals are shit, no matter what we call them.
In your haste to shit on anything VR I think you missed his sarcasm, but after the bullshit and lies you said in the other HL Alyx post I am not surprised.

Last edited:

Bodatan

Banned
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Imo it's a game changer. It just needs to be much more consumer friendly. When VR becomes wireless with at least 1080p per eye and featherweight, and have the dimensions of normal glasses, nothing beats it imo. The experience is so immersive. You literally just enter a virtual reality, surrounded by a different environment and scenery in a moment. You wear a pair of glasses and everything around you changes. It's crazy. It's very refreshing.
VR tech is still garbage untill no more big ass google, weird control scheme and clunky peripheral.

Bodatan

Banned
Sony, Facebook, Valve need to listen to this guy, He knows so much more than them.
Kinect sold more than PSVR FYI.
35m vs 5m, and yet nobody gives a shit.

Phil was right, focusing on the niche peripheral like VR is wasting the resources and times.

gifgaf

Kinect sold more than PSVR FYI.
35m vs 5m, and yet nobody gives a shit.

Phil was right, focusing on the niche peripheral like VR is wasting the resources and times.
124 kinect games over 2 generations vs 1000's of VR games on multiple platforms. even PSVR has over 200 games itself. Try harder.

I understand how people being burned with kinect would look at VR and worry.

Last edited:
Top Bottom