• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VRR coming to PS5 via firmware update in Spring 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dolby Vision.

slap-slapping.gif

Last edited:

RydarGaf

Why would people want/need to change their monitor when they work lerfectly fine, if not better than most TVs out there, with 144Hz, G-Sync/Freesync etc?

The problem with PS5 is, as it's been already said here over and over again and I cannot believe we're still debating this, is that it's not delivering a downscaled 4K on 1440p displays, which actually would've been great, but it gives you that awfully stretched 1080p instead, THAT'S the issue. Which is even more frustrating when many games actually do render at ~1440p in 60/120FPS mode.
Sony wants gamers to buy their TVs. That's the main reason we don't have vrr support on PS5 Yet, and the likly culprit of why 1440p support may never come to PS5. It's a conflict interest and a dirty anti-consumer tactic by Sony.

Seriously considering selling my PS5 for a Series X

Shmunter

I just hope optimisation doesn’t become second fiddle to rez numbers and sloppy production overall. Yeah we bounce between 50 and 60, but let’s save money and ship it now, VRR can sort it out, etc.

Last edited:
Sony wants gamers to buy their TVs. That's the main reason we don't have vrr support on PS5 Yet, and the likly culprit of why 1440p support may never come to PS5. It's a conflict interest and a dirty anti-consumer tactic by Sony.

Seriously considering selling my PS5 for a Series X
Your post makes no sense. It's not like Sony TV's are the only one supporting (via update)VRR.

RydarGaf

Your post makes no sense. It's not like Sony TV's are the only one supporting (via update)VRR.
If VRR isn't enabled on PS5 console, then no TV manufacturer can turn on VRR regardless of whether their model supports it or not.

The idea is Sony holding back the feature from PS5 because their customers would buy a non Sony brand TV that supports VRR because their TVs dont.

If VRR isn't enabled on PS5 console, then no TV manufacturer can turn on VRR regardless of whether their model supports it or not.

The idea is Sony holding back the feature from PS5 because their customers would buy a non Sony brand TV that supports VRR because their TVs dont.
I think you're on the right track, but it probably has less to do with sales and more to do with PR (which ultimately results in sales).

Sony doesn't want to see articles about how their TVs don't support a feature that the PS5 does when they've marketed their TVs as PS5 ready.

Ultimately the number of TVs that support VRR is extremely small. PlayStation sacrifices very little by waiting to implement this and Sony Electronics can save face as a result.

Moneywise this probably wouldn't have cost them much if anything, though it would hurt the branding and PS5-Ready marketing campaign.

Edit: They've actually started a campaign, "Perfect for PS5", which actually makes this way worse.

Last edited:

BreakOut

They really are waiting for their own TVs and it does bother me. I just want VRR. Kingdoms of Amalur would benefit after it’s PS five update. There is some serious tearing. And destiny 2 for some reason seems to have a small bit of tearing at the bottom, but it could be something else it seems to be very random.

intbal

They really are waiting for their own TVs and it does bother me. I just want VRR. Kingdoms of Amalur would benefit after it’s PS five update. There is some serious tearing. And destiny 2 for some reason seems to have a small bit of tearing at the bottom, but it could be something else it seems to be very random.
Just a note on KOA:Re-Reckoning.
The game is 4k/60hz on Xbox One X, which has VRR. However, the game still manages to tear on occasion. The VRR does work, because I can see the refresh rate counter fluctuating on my monitor, but there can still be screen tears, even if the framerate is hovering in the high 50s. As DF has pointed out in numerous videos, some games just don't like VRR (I think one of the Tomb Raider games is specifically bad to tear, even with VRR turned on).

I would imagine that's what happens when one next gen console supports a next gen feature since launch that the other failed to support. It was often cited as a clear advantage over the other platform because it was for gamers with supported displays.

It's far from the last of Xbox Series X related advantages people will be hearing mentioned as we get further into the generation.
last time commando GIF

Get your marketing materials ready...

RydarGaf

Definitely going to need VRR Support on Elden Ring based on Digital Foundry testing of the demo.

Does anyone know if this monitor would work with HDMI Forum VRR on the PS5 when the update comes out?

It mentions next gen gaming with VRR and Auto Low Latency, but they could be talking about Xbox there, but if you look in the tech specs, it only mentions FreeSync and Gsync, although it has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports.

I hate how confusing it is to shop for a monitor now.

intbal

Does anyone know if this monitor would work with HDMI Forum VRR on the PS5 when the update comes out?

It mentions next gen gaming with VRR and Auto Low Latency, but they could be talking about Xbox there, but if you look in the tech specs, it only mentions FreeSync and Gsync, although it has 2 HDMI 2.1 ports.

I hate how confusing it is to shop for a monitor now.

I would file this under the "impossible to know" category currently.
Sony is the wild card in this. They certainly want to sell their own TVs. Would they limit variable refresh rate functionality on the PS5 if you're using some other display? I can't say. But I do know it's taking them way too long to get this feature implemented, so it's a little bit suspicious. Variable refresh rate technology has been around for six years. Sony could have added it to the PS4 as early as the base Slim model.
If you were buying this monitor for Xbox, I'd say 100% it will work. For PS5, I recommend you wait until someone tests it after Sony has enabled VRR on the PS5.

BreakOut

I would file this under the "impossible to know" category currently.
Sony is the wild card in this. They certainly want to sell their own TVs. Would they limit variable refresh rate functionality on the PS5 if you're using some other display? I can't say. But I do know it's taking them way too long to get this feature implemented, so it's a little bit suspicious. Variable refresh rate technology has been around for six years. Sony could have added it to the PS4 as early as the base Slim model.
If you were buying this monitor for Xbox, I'd say 100% it will work. For PS5, I recommend you wait until someone tests it after Sony has enabled VRR on the PS5.
It really is taking an annoyingly long time. I’m really not understanding why it wasn’t there from day 1 let alone this long into the Gen.

tommib

I don’t think I’ll have a VRR capable TV anytime soon but is there a hardware reason making the PS5 unable to output this?

Mr Moose

I don’t think I’ll have a VRR capable TV anytime soon but is there a hardware reason making the PS5 unable to output this?
PS4 Pro should've been able to support FreeSync VRR, there's no reason the PS5 can't, they don't really support monitors though so they didn't seem to bother with it.
HDMI 2.1 VRR is apparently because their TVs VRR is missing/kinda shit so they haven't enabled it on PS5.

intbal

no there isn't. this is a feature the One X had last gen.

same with no 1440p support, no logical reason not to support it.

The One S, actually. Like I said above, the PS4Slim should have added it, and every PS console since then.

DJ12

Nope! Especially if you don't have a VRR display, like most current gen console owners.
I do have a VRR TV, Samsung QN95A.

Still struggling to care about vrr though.

Hopefully it leads to unlocked framerate patches on stuff like spiderman and horizon forbidden West. Pretty sure they can both run North of 30fps in fidelity Mode.

Lupin25

Nice to finally see.

The PS5 firmware update will probably coincide with whatever big event/announcements they plan to broadcast this month.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Hopefully it leads to unlocked framerate patches on stuff like spiderman and horizon forbidden West. Pretty sure they can both run North of 30fps in fidelity Mode.
Exactly. I want to see 40fps/120hz fidelity raytraced glory with VRR.

Kuranghi

Nice, this helps in my job, now I don't have to add "...when they add it to the PS5" and when they ask when it'll be I have to pretend to remember something else and exclaim about it loudly to blast the VRR question out of their brain and reset it to 0:

Them: "So when will it come out because my Xbox has had that sin..."
Me: "LIZARDS!
*they stumble backwards and put one hand to their forehead like they've just taken confuse spell damage*
Me: "...I forgot to show you this amazing demo video of LIZARDS it's gonna blow your mind!"
*suddenly I'm wearing a leopard print suit jacket and my head is shaved*
Me: "Come with me, peasants!"
*I run off towards another display with a bamboozled middle aged couple in tow*

Speaking of 2022 tellys I really need to see Sony's X95K miniLED set because Neo QLED and LG QNED is a big disappointment. The LG QNEDs use IPS so the blooming is too much in challenging dark scenes even with tons of zones, QN85A has ADS panel which has same issues and QN90/94/95A has too slow zone transition time (I believe all the miniLED sets above do too). Not saying these are bad sets I just dislike these issues and I'm comparing them to previous models without these issues/HW.

I hope the X Wide bollocks doesn't affect the contrast as much this time like with the ZF9. ZG9 was an awesome telly but Back-light Master Drive was not given enough zones for the size of screen (~720 in the 85", vs ~650 in the 65" and ~850 in the 75" ZD9) so I hope the 65" X95K with ~800-1000 zones will finally be a true successor to the ZD9 in terms of dimming capability.

800-1000 zones guess above comes from how many zones the 65" miniLED sets from other brands had in 2021.

Oops rant, back on topic: Will Sonys VRR have the same issues as the other brands have? I think so, hopefully it gets fixed soon as it affects FALD and OLED image quality to much for me from what I've seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom