• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wachowskis working on Matrix 4, says John Wick director, Keanu "wouldn't say no" to it

Nymphae

Banned
I don't need either or, is what I'm saying lol.

Well you did say you would be more interested in a prequel, I'm just saying they already covered that material in a movie. And it was pretty decent. I was reading up on it earlier and had no idea one of the segments was written and directed by one of my favourite artists, Peter Chung of Aeon Flux fame, perfect fit.

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member
Well you did say you would be more interested in a prequel, I'm just saying they already covered that material in a movie. And it was pretty decent. I was reading up on it earlier and had no idea one of the segments was written and directed by one of my favourite artists, Peter Chung of Aeon Flux fame, perfect fit.
Yea I don't need it to happen. If anyone is revisiting the IP, I'd only be interested if the story takes place before the Matrix is created, but I'm not really anticipating anything.

Yea, The Animatrix touched upon a lot of interesting themes and narratives prior or adjacent to the Matrix films. The Second Renaissance was short and sweet, but very intriguing. That one was my one of my favorites.

Last edited:

Airola

I remember being a little kid watching The matrix like wtf is this. And then someone explained it to me and I thought it was too serious and silly as shit. Now when I see it the only part that really speaks is the steak eating scene.

I remember just a few moments ago someone saying he was a little kid when he saw The Matrix, like wtf is this madness of getting old.

I remember just a few moments ago someone saying he was a little kid when he saw The Matrix, like wtf is this madness of getting old.

I looked in the newspaper to check when the first Saturday screening of Reloaded was the weekend it launched lol
Also got a ticket for that Revolutions simultaneous first screening, but couldn't make it.

gioGAF

Cloud Atlas is a fucking master piece, then Matrix 1 another master piece, and Sense8 was better than most sci-fi tv dramas. That alone disqualifies them from hacks. A load of people also love Speed Racer. Matrix 2 had its moments as well but the bad taste of Matrix3 and Jupiter makes people hate them for some reason.
I really don't think they were the brains behind either of those (Cloud Atlas = based on novel by David Mitchell, Sense8 = J. Michael Straczynski). I'm not going to debate you on the "masterpiece" claim for Cloud Atlas. I don't believe it is, it doesn't seem to have resonated in that manner for audiences either, but you are entitled to your opinion.

My point still stands, as far as I'm concerned, "The Matrix" = somebody else's work, Wachowskis = hacks, until they can prove otherwise with their OWN work.

-Minsc-

I was finishing up grade eleven when the first movie came out. The trailer had the perfect advertising pitch. Nobody can be told what The Matrix is, you have to see it for your self. My teenage mind gobbled it up. Great movie. Some day I'll have the watch the trilogy again with a more seasoned mind. There's no question I let the internet sour my impression of the final film. Unsure about a fourth. It can be made but I feel the movie is best left in its era.

The Matrix is just a better version of Dark City.

Agreed, but Dark City was cool as hell tho

giphy.gif

xandaca

I love the Wachowskis, but it's hard to imagine where the Matrix story can thematically go from here. The first was a neatly self-contained story about empowering oneself through choosing truth over comfortable ignorance, and breaking free of the mechanised nature of modern life. The sequels turned all the original's themes upside down, considering ideas about controlled rebellion as a mechanism to stabilise systems of power, about the intersection between choice and predestination, and how opposing factions trapped in a cycle of conflict mirror each other to the point of transcendence. Although their execution, sequels especially, was wildly inconsistent and frustrating, the trilogy (whether or not the sequels were planned originally) is remarkably cohesive and rich on a thematic level. Neo dies at the end because he has broken the cycle, transcended above karmic cause and effect, and all the other stuff that makes you sound like a prick when writing about it on a videogame forum.

Cutting the crap, his story's complete and by proxy, so is the story of the Matrix as we knew it. I suppose there might be some dramatic interest in the question of what happens to everyone else, machine and human, beyond that point, when they basically have to live with the foundational structure of their existences being torn down, but doing another 'man vs machine' conflict would undermine Neo's sacrifice completely, yet that conflict is at the core of what the Matrix is. The Wachowskis, for their undeniable faults, are never short of imagination though, so perhaps they'll spring a surprise. Can't say I'm hopeful: relaunching old properties, particularly ones with such a definitive ending, almost always goes badly, and my suspicion is that if the Wachowskis are involved, it's either because they need a hit after the Jupiter Ascending debacle and Sense8's cancellation, or they've agreed to participate to try and minimise the damage of a studio which was going to proceed with making more Matrix movies regardless. I'd be pleasantly surprised if they were genuinely inspired with more story to tell in that 'universe'.

-Minsc-

X xandaca You put things into better words than I'd ever want to take the time doing so. The big issue I can see with the return of The Matrix is it seems logical they'd want to make it a Man VS Machine conflict. It fits in with nicely with all the high stakes super hero movies and the like. On the comment of what happens to everyone else, if they do a completely different tone shift I'm sure it could work. Fleshing out the human and machine learning to respect each other has been done before but could be applied to The Matrix franchise if they are looking to go somewhere with it. Just don't market it as The Matrix. I don't see my thoughts as being anywhere close to being original but I might as well put them out there anyway.

Last edited:
Off topic but I think Game of Thrones is positioning itself to be included in that list.
What are you talking about? Game of Thrones had an amazing ending, and the endings to Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords were even better. I admit that Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons didn't reach the same highs, but they still had their moments. And it'll be a decade, if ever, before we see the end of the Song of Ice and Fire series, so who knows what the future may bring?

cryptoadam

Banned
This is our chance to get that Will Smith Matrix movie we never got.

Anyways we all know that the story will end up trying to make the evil machines = republicans, and the big AI = Trump, and the power of diversity will defeat the evil "white" machines. Probably an evil AI that stole some sort of Matrix election by colluding with Russian bots and now the evil AI wants to destroy the humans.

Nymphae

Banned
You really think there was nothing to expand upon in the 20 min of 2nd Renaissance? 0o

I mean sure you could tell that story again in some more detail, why not. It'd better than the straight reboot people were talking about a while back. But I'd still rather just see something fresh personally.

Ichabod

Banned
The Animatrix proved the Matrix has a rich universe to pull stories from, ergo I'd be very interested to see where they take things from here. Concordantly, I, personally, would love to see the origins of the machine empire--vis a vis, the 2nd Renaissance.

E-Cat

The Animatrix proved the Matrix has a rich universe to pull stories from, ergo I'd be very interested to see where they take things from here. Concordantly, I, personally, would love to see the origins of the machine empire--vis a vis, the 2nd Renaissance.
I see what you did there.

MetalAlien

Banned
Neo going to be trans? Trinity going to be trans? Morpheus going to be trans? Someone is... we just gotta guess which one.

DiscoJer

The Matrix is just a better version of Dark City.

Ugh. Dark City is actually a good movie.

I've never understood the Matrix's appeal. The highlight of it is Keanu mowing down a bunch of rent-a-cops in bullet time to bad big beat music. That's more sad than cool.

HeadsUp7Up

What are you talking about? Game of Thrones had an amazing ending, and the endings to Clash of Kings and Storm of Swords were even better. I admit that Feast For Crows and Dance With Dragons didn't reach the same highs, but they still had their moments. And it'll be a decade, if ever, before we see the end of the Song of Ice and Fire series, so who knows what the future may bring?
We're talking about tv shows and movies and all of a sudden you bring up books.... You do know it's a tv show right???

Edit: And yes, I know the show is based off of books and have even read the first 3.

Last edited:
We're talking about tv shows and movies and all of a sudden you bring up books.... You do know it's a tv show right???
That can’t be right. Game of Thrones is a book - it’s not a series. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, and it isn’t finished yet. If they made it into a tv show, they’d either have to leave it unfinished, or some asshole is just going to make up a bunch of worthless shit to finish it. And then people would watch this coloring book version of a great book series and that would become the definitive version in their heads. Not only that, but they’d convince themselves that they don’t need to read the books and maybe do something stupid like just read the first few as if that absolved them if their guilt of not being a worthy enough fan. That’d be a disaster.... An absolute travesty. Luckily, they never made a tv series of the books.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Cloud Atlas had pretty good visual, but was overall pretty bad in regards to everything else. Sense8 started strong and then just became a pandering, virtue signaling mess. Truth is, Wachowski's haven't really put out anything of cinematic value in a very long time and I'm not sure if they have that "it" factor anymore. I'd love to proven wrong though, a new Matrix movie could be awesome, but I'd bet it'll boil down to the same virtue signaling and pandering they've been doing for years.

Last edited:

Bogey

Banned
As long as they make sure that whatever the hell happened with Matrix 2 and 3, wouldn't happen with part 4.. I'd be in!

HeadsUp7Up

That can’t be right. Game of Thrones is a book - it’s not a series. The series is called A Song of Ice and Fire, and it isn’t finished yet. If they made it into a tv show, they’d either have to leave it unfinished, or some asshole is just going to make up a bunch of worthless shit to finish it. And then people would watch this coloring book version of a great book series and that would become the definitive version in their heads. Not only that, but they’d convince themselves that they don’t need to read the books and maybe do something stupid like just read the first few as if that absolved them if their guilt of not being a worthy enough fan. That’d be a disaster.... An absolute travesty. Luckily, they never made a tv series of the books.

You know what, you’re right. I was thinking of something else.

Mobilemofo

Make a nice change from the 932 marvel movies that have been sucking on the teet of all good marvel fans. Ready for another matrix...

Doom85

Matrix Revolutions was one of the biggest let-downs I ever saw (in fact, in 2003 that was the first time I left the theater very disappointed) and this is coming from someone who generally liked Reloaded. And Jupiter Ascending, geezus, that's possibly the worst sci-fi blockbuster movie I've seen within the decade. If the Wachowskis had made better movies since I might be interested, but this would be like Shyamalan trying to hype up a sequel to Unbreakable before he had released The Visit or Split. I just for now don't have any reason to give a shit.

MetalAlien

Banned
Neo is going to be so stunning and brave!

OgMBzCn.jpg

Huge grain of salt for me.... it better look amazing or no deal.

Last edited:
I am watching The Matrix again right now, as I did a few days ago, and something always bugged me:

In the very beginning, when Trinity is talking to Cypher, he tells her "We're going to kill him, you know that right?"

What is he talking about? Is it ever expanded upon that possible 'The One's" were killed by Zion crews?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I am watching The Matrix again right now, as I did a few days ago, and something always bugged me:

In the very beginning, when Trinity is talking to Cypher, he tells her "We're going to kill him, you know that right?"

What is he talking about? Is it ever expanded upon that possible 'The One's" were killed by Zion crews?
I always interpreted it as not that they themselves are going to kill him but rather the actions they're following through on are going to result in his death. Either in the Matrix (as you saw in the office building where he worked when the agents were after him) or the actual act of pulling him out.

Top Bottom