• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wachowskis working on Matrix 4, says John Wick director, Keanu "wouldn't say no" to it

Next you'll be telling me Hollywood greenlit a sequel to Good Burger!

I used to rewatch The Matrix, its sequels and Animatrix all the time when I was younger but I guess I grew out of the whole mythology because the prospect of another sequel doesn't interest me.

Lanrutcon

I want to see an old, grizzled Neo who is Done With This Shit(tm). The veteran of the Nth machine wars. The jaded soldier stuck in a loop of endless war and strife. The chosen one whose destiny was to play the paper hero in a battle that'll never end. Like Snake Plisskin, but Neo is trying to escape this layered set of virtual realities which may or may not be what we've been told in the first three movies.

Lynd7

I thought they were done with big blockbusters, surprising that they'd be asked to do another Matrix, but also, I suppose it at least has some built in appeal.

I’m seeing social media buzz that “The Matrix 4” is official with Keanu and Carrie Anne Moss both confirmed to reprise their roles.

I find it interesting its being called a sequel, not reboot.

I guess I’m down to see what direction they go but I just hope it makes sense.

Last edited:

NeoGiffer

tenor.gif

Ornlu

Banned
Wachowski's? No thank you. The only good movies they have done IMO are The Matrix and V for Vendetta. And with V for Vendetta, they are not the directors, and it was a graphic novel converted over to a movie, so I'm not sure what to credit them with that one. The Matrix had a ton of plagiarism accusations around it, which I bought at the time as the 2nd and 3rd movies were such ass compared to the first...but I'm not sure if any of that was actually true (I know the lawsuits didn't stick, for what it's worth).

Guiberu

I honestly have no idea what angle they are going to take.

Maybe Neo recreates Trin within the Matrix? Or writes her as a program?

Did Trinity die? I thought Neo saved her by jabbing his hand into her chest, or something. I could Google it, but it's fun to remember how much I don't remember. Whereas, that first movie...

Let me guess...sex and gender will be constructed of the Architect and nothing but fluid computer coding. 😝

I think you might be right on the money. Unfortunately.

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
I remember when the first sequel was announced. The awe. The painfully long wait. Then... seeing it, and learning the timeless lesson that everyone has to learn that sequels almost never live up to the original.

It’s not likely to be good.

Did Trinity die? I thought Neo saved her by jabbing his hand into her chest, or something. I could Google it, but it's fun to remember how much I don't remember. Whereas, that first movie...

That's the second movie. She legitimately dies in the Revolutions; before which she gives a "dying words" speech that goes on for like 2 hours.

Last edited:

withincells

I loved the Matrix and I remember sitting in the theatre for that dumb rave/sex scene in Reloaded and thinking WHAT THE FUCK?!

Eiknarf

Banned
Part 3 literally ends with "the peace will only last for as long as it can" (a limited amount of time) and "I'm sure we'll see Neo again, one day".

So that’s what they’re springboarding off of

cryptoadam

Banned
The premise was already stretched thin with the two sequels.

Well lets see how they will woke this up and ruin it. New AI will clearly be modeled after Trump, and it will be anti-immigrant and minority programs. Neo and Trinity will fight the machine patriarchy.

The twist is we find out this was all started because someone misgendered F4LK as he and that caused the internet to become selfaware and enslave humanity so we will never misgender machines again.

highrider

Banned
Nothing about their films over the last decade or two suggests to me they can still produce a quality film. They can do visual magic for sure, but much like Tim Burton that’s pretty much the only thing they can still execute consistently.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
That's really cool, Matrix is one of my all time favorite movie and I love the Wachowski so i'm in. + Cloud Atlas is a masterpiece imo.

Gargus

Banned
Can't say I'm interested really.

The wachowski brothers just haven't done much for me. Bound was from a directing standpoint was very well done and visually interesting but the story had been done hundreds of times already and was generally boring. Jupiter ascending and cloud atlas both had cool effects but were boring to me, cloud atlas mildly less so though. Matrix 2 and 3 while looking cool I found to be quite dull and seemed to meander a lot to try and make it all seem to be important than it really was. They felt kind of pointless and it ended as if they didn't really know how to end it so they stumbled through it. Speed racer never interested me. And I never did finish sense8.

The matrix is the only movie of theirs I actually really liked. But in the end without the visual effects and the wire fu and the 360 panning slow motion cameras I don't think it would have been as popular. It mainstreamed things most had never seen before and changed visual effects forever. It notched things up in the effects department. And it's insane popularity gave those 2 a free pass for quite a while but I think it's to the point where that free pass is about to expire. The matrix amazed me back then and I watched it quite a few times, but now it's less interesting and seems less organic and more forced.

I guess matrix 4 neo will realize he is still in the matrix, it fooled him into thinking he was the one and saved everyone but really he is still in his goop pod. "Matrix 4: matrix harder"

GV82

Hmm I’m torn I mean I love the Matrix & I want this so badly but also kind of not after 2&3.

So the first movie the Animatrix stuff they did & that Comic they did was fine, then the sequels came what happened? Some good ideas but overall too much with the story not being the best either.

I kind of think it would work better as an anthology TV show live action like the Animatrix, with other directors & writers & actors on board, but also with lana, keanu & carrie producing the whole thing & doing episodes themselves too in some episodes that maybe could cross over into other stories like a bit of an overall continuity arc like the Kid episode of the Animatrix. Especially now as it’s by one Wachowski Sister by herself

Last edited:

xandaca

Pretty ridiculous. Whatever you think of the sequels, they completed Neo and Smith's arc and wrapped up the themes of the series - however clunkily they had been delivered - as completely as could be imagined. There's absolutely nowhere left to go in the Matrix world. The only way I could see it working to any degree is doing Animatrix-style spinoffs within the world pre-Neo's (literal) enlightenment, but those wouldn't be great for rebuilding a franchise around. Considering Trinity died and Neo transcended, Morpheus is the only one of the original cast that won't require insane narrative gymnastics to bring back. I'm a bigger fan of these films than most, but this stinks of a cash grab from the studio and a director in desperate need of a hit.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Not really. In the real world Neo was able to take out the machines using "the force." Which left us to interpet that even reality wasn't real, but an even higher form of a matrix. So the next title should be- The Matrix 4: Matrixception.

Yeah. It's like the movie Inception. Everything is a simulation, and there are deeper and deeper levels every lasting. They can really go nuts with this concept if they want to.

cryptoadam

Banned
Trinity can just come back as a program. Or she could be the avatar of another human. They could say they have a "back up" of her just before she died blah blah blah. You know how excel has a recovery file if your PC shuts down.

Hmmm, maybe have Trinity come back as the Avatar of the big bad in the movie.

Mattyp

Gold Member
I absolutly loved the Matrix, watching it in the cinema then walking around looking for the exact locations filmed outside around Sydney on the same night was one of my favourite child hood memories. What they'll end up doing to this.... But it has Keanu in it, and it is the Matrix, so I'll be there regardless.

if the matrix released today some idiots would whine about the diversity in the cast and some other idiots would complain about will smith losing the role to a white male.

just make it about modern day stuff and piss off as many people as possible. we either already live in a simulation or we will one day regardless, idgaf.

VAL0R

Banned
I was so let down in the sequels after he becomes Superman at the end of the first one and then goes right back to mere Kung Fu in the sequels.

Last edited:
I enjoyed the entire trilogy. But as others have commented, I'd rather wish they respected the legacy of these films and let them be for what they are, but hey...its Recyclewood...uh, Hollywood. 95% of the rehashes are either bad, or merely works of not-so subtle propaganda.

Dontero

Banned
Matrix 2 and 3 are the best case studies of "Don't make sequel to something that has definitive ending"
By end of Matrix 1 Neo became effectively god of cyberworld and it was perfect ending.

2 and 3 instead took it and made it dumber as there were ton of idiotic actions that made no sense.

I have also 0 doubt that wachowski brothers will fuck it up as they fuck up every movie since they started being mentally ill and their movies have become more about themselves than trying to be good movies.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
I saw that it was being directed by Lana Wachowski, and at first I thought it was a relative of theirs. Then I saw that it said they co-created the original trilogy and I was confused for a second. Didn't realize they both had transitioned. But I'm crazy excited for this. Hopefully it's more Matrix 1 than it is 2&3.

Top Bottom