• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wait, wait... Jade (BG&E) was black??

Haunted

Dan said:
Never really dawned on me to apply human 'racial' divisions to a fictional universe centered on a different planet that had a talking humanoid pig as a sidekick. :lol
winner! When I saw the thread title I went 'huh?' and after a minute of thinking that settled into '*shrug* - why do you even care?'

but that's just how humans are. Categorising and fitting everything into neat little drawers in our minds, I guess.

I do like how this thread evolved into a 'post bad-ass black characters in videogames' thread though. :)

Second said:
I mean, Alex doesn't really look black. IMO

You must have missed the memo that was passed around thousands of years prior saying that people of different ethnicities are, in fact, given the freedom to marry and have children.

Majmun

disappeared said:
You must have missed the memo that was passed around thousands of years prior saying that people of different ethnicities are, in fact, given the freedom to marry and have children.

I know.

But if a black man/woman and a white woman/man have a child, the child is automatically black?

Alex just doesn't look black, imo. Not being racist, of course.

saelz8

Second said:
Maybe she's adopted and raised by him?

I mean, Alex doesn't really look black. IMO

Same with Jade.

Alyx is blasian. Merle Dandridge (Alyx's voice actor and face-map) is african-american/japanese. http://www.merledandridge.com/

Coupled with the photograph of Mr Vance and the Asian Woman in Black Mesa East, I'm sure we can conclude that's the reality, otherwise it's a hell of a coincidence.

Second said:
I know.

But if a black man/woman and a white woman/man have a child, the child is automatically black?

Alex just doesn't look black, imo. Not being racist, of course.

I'm no expert on fertility, but usually it's the male's sperm cells that contribute quite highly to the offspring's color of skin.

Every time I hear Phil LaMarr's voice I think of Green Lantern. :lol No matter WHAT hes doing, its always Green Lantern in my head.

Dunno why, the first place I remember seeing him is on Mad TV. :\

But yeah, seems like if you need a black guy voiced phone up ol' LaMarr.

fortune.jpg

Fortune from MGS2.

Dali

PjotrStroganov said:
Afaik not black(read, of African descent).

What is he supposed to be then? I know he is British, but I always thought he was Black. Goes to Wiki...

Edit: No luck. But I did find out he is an homage to Hajime no Ippo.

Pimpbaa

Quellex said:
Alyx is blasian. Merle Dandridge (Alyx's voice actor and face-map) is african-american/japanese. http://www.merledandridge.com/

Coupled with the photograph of Mr Vance and the Asian Woman in Black Mesa East, I'm sure we can conclude that's the reality, otherwise it's a hell of a coincidence.

Merle Dandridge was only her voice actor, Alyx was modeled off of Jamil Mullen. A_Lee_N even provided a picture of her on the first page of this thread.

"Actress Merle Dandridge provides Alyx's voice, while her face and body are modeled after Jamil Mullen."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alyx_vance

Ajioss

Jade isn't black o_o because she is based on this Woman

elle_05.jpg

cannes1997_02.jpg

She is a french actress called Emma De caunes by the way the french version of BG&E has her own voice.

Second said:

White man, white woman, white baby. Black man, black woman, black baby. Black man, white woman, black baby. White man, black woman, black baby.

Jerry Whorebach said:
White man, white woman, white baby. Black man, black woman, black baby. Black man, white woman, black baby. White man, black woman, black baby.
No, not really. The kid can be born either mulato, don't know the english name given for that particular ethnicity, or black or white.

Grug

The black guy who gets his ass whooped in the SF2 intro was my first exposure to black gaming characters.

Top Bottom