• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

#Walkaway in Mississippi [8 elected officials go GOP].

Cybrwzrd

Anime waifu panty shots are basically the same thing as paintings of the french baroque masters, if you think about it.
Sep 29, 2014
Ouch. Don't think sanders will do well in that state if he becomes the candidate.
Were deep southern states even on the electoral table for Dems?

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Tesseract

Woo-Fu

incest on the subway
Jan 2, 2007
Ouch. Don't think sanders will do well in that state if he becomes the candidate.
That's why they switched, they're not getting re-elected if he gets the nomination. It's the down-ticket problem Mayor Pete keeps bringing up.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Is Mississippi a big deal?
Not in and of itself.

It shows the edges of the Dems are moving towards the GOP, like the Representative from NJ who also jumped ship. Given that many independents are between the two parties [some are outside], it also indicates moderate independents are rejecting the Democrats, if the more moderate/conservative Dems are

A lot of this likely has to do with the Dems embracing third term abortion, and some hinting that there is no place for pro-life in their party. Most Americans are still very much against 3rd term abortions, and many pro-choice Dems pretend all abortions are in the first few weeks, etc.

The South, the Bible Belt, and many minorities communities still have a strong Church. The Dems are forcing their hand. I expect more will follow as Trump has proved himself regarding the economy and hasn't been the nightmare the media promised [and they turned into instead].

matt404au

Cyberbully
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Not in and of itself.

It shows the edges of the Dems are moving towards the GOP, like the Representative from NJ who also jumped ship. Given that many independents are between the two parties [some are outside], it also indicates moderate independents are rejecting the Democrats, if the more moderate/conservative Dems are

A lot of this likely has to do with the Dems embracing third term abortion, and some hinting that there is no place for pro-life in their party. Most Americans are still very much against 3rd term abortions, and many pro-choice Dems pretend all abortions are in the first few weeks, etc.

The South, the Bible Belt, and many minorities communities still have a strong Church. The Dems are forcing their hand. I expect more will follow as Trump has proved himself regarding the economy and hasn't been the nightmare the media promised [and they turned into instead].
tbh this satanic third trimester baby killing shenanigans is pushing me towards the church

Xenon

Not sure if this is going to move any needles, but reminds me of a story.

A bus stops and two Italian men get on.

They seat themselves, and have an loud and animated conversation.

The lady sitting behind them ignores their conversation at first, but her attention is drawn when she hears one of the men say the following:

“Emma come first. Den I come. Two asses, they come together. I come again. Two asses, they come together again. I come again and pee twice. Then I come once-a-more.”

“You swearing and cursing rude men,” the lady said in a very haughty fashion.

“We don’t talk about our sex lives in public places here!”

“Hey, coola down lady,” said the Italian.

“Imma just tellun my friend howa to spella Mississippi.”

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Lowest in adult literacy.
Second highest in obesity.
Mississippi has little to celebrate.
Mississippi? They aren't doing too well financially, either. Ranking 51st in income.
Bro it's kind of fucked up to dunk on people for being poor.

I get that you don't like the news from an ideology/party lens, but people being dirt poor isn't something to celebrate, even if they're not in lockstep with you politically.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
Bro it's kind of fucked up to dunk on people for being poor.

I get that you don't like the news from an ideology/party lens, but people being dirt poor isn't something to celebrate, even if they're not in lockstep with you politically.
Does it bother you when conservatives constantly rag on California?

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
Does it bother you when conservatives constantly rag on California?
How so? California is a wealthy state with an abundance of natural resources, and has been for it's whole history. Mississippi is the deepest of the deep South, whose whole economy was based on chattel slavery, and really doesn't have the natural resources to ever have a booming state economy. Maybe if they ever find an expensive niche crop to crow en masse?

So does it make more sense to make fun of a State that has all the wealth in the world and still can't get it's shit together? Or a State that is performing at roughly the same pace comparatively that it has since it was created?

It's not like there's a magic solution to suddenly make Mississippi a booming powerhouse State, barring massive artificial Federal spending allotted to do so.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
How so? California is a wealthy state with an abundance of natural resources, and has been for it's whole history. Mississippi is the deepest of the deep South, whose whole economy was based on chattel slavery, and really doesn't have the natural resources to ever have a booming state economy. Maybe if they ever find an expensive niche crop to crow en masse?

So does it make more sense to make fun of a State that has all the wealth in the world and still can't get it's shit together? Or a State that is performing at roughly the same pace comparatively that it has since it was created?

It's not like there's a magic solution to suddenly make Mississippi a booming powerhouse State, barring massive artificial Federal spending allotted to do so.
So... it is ok for you conservatives to constantly hate California because most of its population disagrees with you? Slavery ended a very long time ago and Mississippi has had 150 years to rebuild its economy and has not. It should invest more in education and try to get those pathetic adult literacy rates up. Virginia seems to be doing very well these days yet they were also a slave state.

Reactions: DarkMage619

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
So... it is ok for you conservatives to constantly hate California because most of its population disagrees with you? Slavery ended a very long time ago and Mississippi has had 150 years to rebuild its economy and has not. It should invest more in education and try to get those pathetic adult literacy rates up. Virginia seems to be doing very well these days yet they were also a slave state.
Hillary won 40% of the state's vote back in 2016. I know binary thinking is normal for modern political junkies but when Democrats have a stronghold in the state too, you can't blame only one party. One of the four congressional reps is a Democrat. The most populated district in the state votes Democrat (Hinds).

I don't understand the hostility anyway. Instead of going "ah! Is there a reason for this? Why are these voters turning away? How can we win them back?" your thoughts go immediately toward dismissal.

"Well they're fat and dumb so it's no reason to celebrate".

Who framed it as celebration? It's a warning to your party and the best you can do is stick your fingers in your ears. Lalalalalala there is no Democrat civil war. Lalalalala the party is doing fine.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
You do know that this can be said for groups of people other than Mississippi residents. I'm curious if you would respond the same if those same labels were given to other groups of people besides a GOP label

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
You do know that this can be said for groups of people other than Mississippi residents. I'm curious if you would respond the same if those same labels were given to other groups of people besides a GOP label
Look at your very own post history and the things you've written about California. Pot, kettle? I wonder if you would have written those things about it if it were controlled by the GOP.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Look at your very own post history and the things you've written about California. Pot, kettle? I wonder if you would have written those things about it if it were controlled by the GOP.
As soon as the GOP lets homeless people shit and use needles in the streets, over-regulates everything into a higher cost, and favor illegals over Americans to name a few, I'll agree with you.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
As soon as the GOP lets homeless people shit and use needles in the streets, over-regulates everything into a higher cost, and favor illegals over Americans to name a few, I'll agree with you.
Perhaps you should apply the same standards to yourself that you are asking others to live by.

Ornlu

Oct 31, 2018
I'm not a conservative, but ok, whatever. Mississippi is never going to be an economic powerhouse. Period. The population is always going to be poor in comparison to the rest of the country, barring some as-yet-unknown breakthroughs/massive out of state investments. Virginia is a poor example for you to use, as it has never been as poor as Mississippi, and has massive Federal investment (most of the government kinda lives there, ya know?)

Please learn a bit of empathy toward your fellow man. A story about some politicians switching parties shouldn't immediately get a reaction from a sane, normal human being of "Well the people there are fat and stupid, fuck em!".

Jan 9, 2018
For what it's worth, Virginia was given an infinitely more favorable situation. Much of the state siphons off the considerable benefit of DC's fringes (plus a ton of huge military investments that are related), and its Black population (which is relevant due to being a part of entrenched poverty) is under 20%, whereas in MS it's up above 35%.

Cucked SoyBoy

Dec 18, 2018
The reason Dems won in 2018 is becuase they made gains in moderate/conservative areas. This could be a sign that they are losing those areas

Wrong. Dems made big gains because around 30 Republicans decided to retire from Congress and not run for re-election. Thus they gave up the advantages of incumbency, name recognition and running on a record of accomplishments. They handed the House over to the Dems without a fight.

They assumed Trump would be so awful that the Republican Party was doomed anyway, so they might as well jump ship. Turns out Trump is the best thing about the R. Party. Oops. Most Republicans sit around trying to figure out how they can lose, and this was a prime example.

Even with Republicans trying their hardest to lose and screw Trump, Bill Clinton and Obama still lost more seats in their midterms than Trump did.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
”Hey the democrats are losing support in this district.

” well fuck them they are poor..”

😂 and you wonder why you people lose elections.

Wrong. Dems made big gains because around 30 Republicans decided to retire from Congress and not run for re-election. Thus they gave up the advantages of incumbency, name recognition and running on a record of accomplishments. They handed the House over to the Dems without a fight.

They assumed Trump would be so awful that the Republican Party was doomed anyway, so they might as well jump ship. Turns out Trump is the best thing about the R. Party. Oops. Most Republicans sit around trying to figure out how they can lose, and this was a prime example.

Even with Republicans trying their hardest to lose and screw Trump, Bill Clinton and Obama still lost more seats in their midterms than Trump did.
Literally nothing you just bleated disproved what I said

Last edited:

DarkMage619

Jun 19, 2004
Let's take what you said at face value. Has Mississippi being against those things made it a better place than California economically, health, or literacy wise?

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Please by all means defend California. Defend people shitting in the street, defend criminalizing spreading HIV, defend AB5. Defend the broken social services in that state.

let me guess, you can’t.

Super Mario

Mario Mario
Nov 12, 2016
Let's take what you said at face value. Has Mississippi being against those things made it a better place than California economically, health, or literacy wise?
I'm not defending either state, they're both garbage. The point was people who are quick to blame when they hear GOP. When in reality, it has the nations second highest population of black people, who are having many struggles. They are not Republicans, I'll tell you that.

belmarduk

Nov 19, 2019
Please by all means defend California. Defend people shitting in the street, defend criminalizing spreading HIV, defend AB5. Defend the broken social services in that state.

let me guess, you can’t.
I don't defend shitting in the street or spreading HIV, neither would any sane or rational person. Then again, any state will have laws I disagree with.

Have you been to California? Its national parks alone are breathtaking. You can see the hottest place in the Western hemisphere and then visit glaciers within a matter of hours. In addition to its natural beauty, its #1 in agriculture. Over a third of vegetables consumed in the US are grown there.

I understand that it is quite fashionable in right-wing circles to bash California, but perhaps you would have a different view if you spent some time there.

More on topic, I have spent a great deal of time in Mississippi. It certainly doesn't compare to California but its not without natural resources as many in this thread have suggested. Its got coastal access, the river which bears its name, oil and natural gas, beautiful forests and also has very rich, fertile soil. You can't blame a lack of resources for MS being the fattest, most illiterate state. Perhaps if they weren't so hostile toward public education?

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
Who the fuck cares who it is controlled by? Bad policy is bad policy. That you see people criticizing blatantly terrible policy leading to crime sprees, rampant homelessness, drug use, and poop everywhere, while at the same time representing the wealth of Hollywood and Silicon Valley, does not mean those doing so are partisan hacks who would suddenly ignore it if it was all GOP. That is you projecting. I don't need to shit on California, the population does it for me. And I don't give a fuck about the GOP, i care about fixing policy in this country... it just so happens the GOP is the only path forward in that regard because the Dems have lost the plot.

zeorhymer

Gold Member
Nov 9, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Have you been to California? Its national parks alone are breathtaking. You can see the hottest place in the Western hemisphere and then visit glaciers within a matter of hours. In addition to its natural beauty, its #1 in agriculture. Over a third of vegetables consumed in the US are grown there.
I live there. You know all those national parks and agriculture areas are in red counties? The lovely elitist blue folks along the coast are forcing everybody's hand creating statewide "solutions" where there is no statewide problem. The recent stupidity is labeling all contract workers as employees.