• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walked into a local GameStop after several years...

OrtizTwelve

Looked like a flea market.

Random toys and miscellaneous gag gifts and crap everywhere, very little space to move around.

Shirts and hats and socks here with game characters, some shot glasses over there, and some random display of Fortnite action figures all tossed into some bin, and all sorts of junk. And you can’t forget the several bins of “sale” used games which is basically 100 copies of NHL 18 and Madden 14 for PS4.

Oh and yes they also had games, but first you have to maneuver around their obstacle course of garbage to even browse them.

GameStop today reminds me A LOT like the final days of blockbuster back in the early 2010s before they went bankrupt. They started doing the same thing — throwing whatever merchandise crap they could sell just to offset their dying physical rental business.

In this case for GameStop, it’s physical games. The writing is on the wall and the ship is sinking. Seriously, I don’t see this company existing in the next 2 to 3 years.

There are so many better places to purchase game consoles and games, why does GameStop even exist anymore.

Topher

Gold Member
They got an expected boost with the pandemic along with the rest of the industry. But unlike the rest of the industry, they desperately needed that boost. Now some guy is attempting to revamp the corporation so it will "rival Amazon". Good luck with that.

But yeah, I agree with you. I rarely go in GameStop anymore because of all the clutter in the stores. Just not a pleasant experience. But, for many, there are not many more options outside of stores like Best Buy and Target, neither of which have great selections and do not carry used games. These days I'm buying digital or from Amazon myself.

Soodanim

The exact same thing is happening with Game in the UK. They can no longer compete with anyone else even after buying the direct competition years ago. I feel bad for them in a way, because they can’t go any lower on the games and still make a profit. Hence the merchandise. People will doubt it, but they really can’t. It’s a dying industry when Amazon and digital purchases are only getting more common.

The difference in the UK is that they’ve now been bought out by a bloke named Mike Ashley, and you’ll see him push Game and other the other companies he’s bought as mini stores with his main company, Sports Direct.

Last edited:

Rheon

The exact same thing is happening with Game in the UK. They can no longer compete with anyone else even after buying the direct competition years ago. I feel bad for them in a way, because they can’t go any lower on the games and still make a profit. Hence the merchandise. People will doubt it, but they really can’t. It’s a dying industry when Amazon and digital purchases are only getting more common.

The difference in the UK is that they’ve now been bought out by a bloke named Mike Ashley, and you’ll see him push Game and other the other companies he’s bought as mini stores with his main company, Sports Direct.

Wait, Sports Direct now owns Game?

It really is curtains.

Soodanim

Wait, Sports Direct now owns Game?

It really is curtains.
They own USC, Jack Wills, and god knows what else. There’s a group name for the parent company but it’s something different so it can suffer less than it would being named for Sports Direct or Mike Ashley

FeldMonster

If they simply treated their primary objective of selling games with respect, i.e. not opening new games and not putting stickers you can't easily remove on cases instead of on the wrappers, they could have bought themselves a few more years, as they would be in better shape today.

They should have used their profits to move into publishing, especially for indie games and games that did not have worldwide releases. That way, they could ensure exclusives for themselves, and who knows, some of them might have blown up in popularity.

They also should have moved into game rentals (unless they did/do, and my memory is poor).

Regardless, Funcoland was responsible for some of my fondest gaming memories in the SNES and N64 eras.

Last edited:

aries_71

It was clear at the beginning of the XB1/PS4 generation that physical media had its days counted. It was impossible to think otherwise in the light of the iOS/Android digital stores, that were a success, and the likes of Netflix/Spotify that were doing the same for other media.

It surprises me that GameStop survived that much.

drganon

The last time I was in a gamestop was a month or so before shit hit the fan. I was the only one there but the store itself seemed alright. Unfortunately, its in a borderline "dead mall", so its days are already probably numbered even before taking into account the company as a whole and everything else going on.

WoJ

I went into a Gamestop a few weeks ago to try and pick up some old PS3/Xbox 360 games as my understanding is they are getting rid of those to make room for next gen games and/or more toys. The selection of old games they had was garbage and the shelves were mostly empty. I ultimately left and went to a local shop down the road and they had much more.

I will still purchase used games from their website since they have some good deals from time to time, but even then I'd almost rather buy from amazon because I can ensure I get games with the actual cases.

Gamestop would be much more successful, in my opinion, if they focused on being a retro game shop at this point.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i haven't been in a GAME shop in a while. maybe last christmas. it's the same. they have a load of smartphones/tablets at the window you can buy/trade in. there are toys/merch and all sorts of other ridiculous stuff. another store in my city literally cut itself in half so they could stick in a gaming cafe or whatever the heck ye call it. now there are two small aisles with crap and games.

the sooner GAME shuts down the better. i miss the local independant game store that GAME put out of business. they'd always sell you games as soon as they got stock in. for example if they were still open then you'd probably be able to go in and buy Cyberpunk from around the 3rd/4th. they only shut down about 2 years ago and they had been going since the 90's so i don't know how they got away with doing that for so long. also they'd import games for you. i remember getting the Pokemon games from Japan/US well before they ever released here in the UK.

My local Game stores turned into Funko-Pop retailers before all closing down.
i hate those fucking things so much. it's the little creepy black beady eyes.

Last edited:

kyussman

I'm honestly surprised brick and mortar video games stores still exist in the west.....I've not been in one all generation as online purchases are easier and of course also usually cheaper.

GeorgPrime

Banned

Random toys and miscellaneous gag gifts and crap everywhere, very little space to move around.

Shirts and hats and socks here with game characters, some shot glasses over there, and some random display of Fortnite action figures all tossed into some bin, and all sorts of junk. And you can’t forget the several bins of “sale” used games which is basically 100 copies of NHL 18 and Madden 14 for PS4.

Oh and yes they also had games, but first you have to maneuver around their obstacle course of garbage to even browse them.

GameStop today reminds me A LOT like the final days of blockbuster back in the early 2010s before they went bankrupt. They started doing the same thing — throwing whatever merchandise crap they could sell just to offset their dying physical rental business.

In this case for GameStop, it’s physical games. The writing is on the wall and the ship is sinking. Seriously, I don’t see this company existing in the next 2 to 3 years.

There are so many better places to purchase game consoles and games, why does GameStop even exist anymore.

What do you expect from a dying videogame chain?

IDappa

I honestly hope they turn their business into a electronics focused store in Aus ala jbhifi (not sure if that's a thing in Europe or US)they have one of the best customer warranty's you could ask for over here so it would be a shame for them to disappear..

lucius

The one near me use to look like that now its more clear. I didn't like many things they have done in past, the online store I stop buying from like 4 years ago I was getting defective stuff like half the time, it wasn't always like that though. I still hope some stick around, I don't like going to Target or Walmart where I usually have ask someone then they have get someone to help me then unlock stuff.

FrankWza

If they simply treated their primary objective of selling games with respect, i.e. not opening new games and not putting stickers you can't easily remove on cases instead of on the wrappers, they could have bought themselves a few more years, as they would be in better shape today.

They should have used their profits to move into publishing, especially for indie games and games that did not have worldwide releases. That way, they could ensure exclusives for themselves, and who knows, some of them might have blown up in popularity.

They also should have moved into game rentals (unless they did/do, and my memory is poor).

Regardless, Funcoland was responsibly for some of my fondest gaming memories in the SNES and N64 eras.
This is it here.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Any GameStop workers here allowing OP to dominate your store? I think GameStop is turning their attention else where outside of games, board games, merch etc. you won’t find a traditional store outside of a local flea market.

sublimit

Banned
Oh hey look it's another pro-digital/physical-sucks threads.

I have never been to a Gamestop (we don't have them in my country) but all the dedicated video game shops where i live have very friendly people working in them,are easy to find what you're looking for,and often have great deals that are much better than the ones you find at digital stores.

I miss being able to visit them due to the pandemic.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yea, even Daddy Microsoft can't save them. It's kinda weird, I look at that deal they have as Microsoft sucking the last lifeblood out of them before they crash and burn.

They have a piss poor selection of used games. Their new games were opened but still “new.” Their action figure selection was more expensive than all other retailers carrying toys. The website sucks and didn’t even allow you to cancel orders. Non-existent customer service. I once emailed them for a return. Never heard back. They sold me a fake PS3 controller. Went into the store and had the guy tell me their online and store systems aren’t connected, then he proceeded to laugh at me when I confronted him about the fact that I had wasted $25 on a fake controller. All their deals require their stupid rewards program.

In summary, fuck GameStop. I actively cheer they disappear and go out of my way to not shop there and prevent others from doing so.

Welcome to 2015. 😉

Personally I only care that they survive long enough for me to use my hundreds of in store credit to snag another next gen console. Probably a second PS5.

A part of me will be sad to see them go. Who knows, maybe the profit sharing agreement with MS will keep em afloat long enough to reconfigure the company and survive long term, but I'm not gonna hold my breathe.

Arkam

This is the way all retail stores are going (unless we change our habits). Been to a Home Depot in the last 5 years? You can barely traverse the store with a cart now since they added those displays in the middle of the walking paths and add extra displays in the aisles. It is the same thing that happened to Malls with those 'carts'. Its simply an attempt to make the brick and mortar space cost effective.

Keep buying everything from Amazon and that is all that will be left at retail... a flea market experience.

FeldMonster

Oh hey look it's another pro-digital/physical-sucks threads.

I have never been to a Gamestop (we don't have them in my country) but all the dedicated video game shops where i live have very friendly people working in them,are easy to find what you're looking for,and often have great deals that are much better than the ones you find at digital stores.

I miss being able to visit them due to the pandemic.
You can't get all defensive about our comments about GameStop and then state that you have never been to one and they aren't in your country.

We had good game stores. I mentioned Funcoland in my earlier post. Unfortunately most were either bought by GameStop or couldn't compete financially. For me personally, the people working there were never the problem, though I have had heard stories. Like anything else, some workers were good, and others were not.

There were a few major issues I had with GameStop . One was the fact that they would open up brand new games, store the discs behind the counter, and then when you went to purchase a "new" game, they would put the disc in a case right in front of your face. Furthermore, even "new" boxes would have additional labels placed on them [remember, the original wrapping had been removed] with terribly weak paper and aggressive strong and stick adhesive, making it impossible to remove without harming the cover.

One of the ONLY advantages to physical games these days is that it "looks nice" on your shelf, but GameStop ruins that aspect. Another advantage to physical is the ability to sell a used game, but GameStop screwed that up too. In negotiations in general, you shouldn't push to "win" all of the money/benefit or eventually no one will deal with you. Well, when you buy a new game for $60, get $5 back upon sale, and then they put it up for sale in their store for $50, they have taken all of the benefit out of buying/selling used games, so that market dried up for them as well.

This thread did not start as a physical vs. digital thread, but since you brought it up, nearly all of the advantages of physical media have been nullified, especially in case of sloppy, greedy merchants such as GameStop. Once physical games could no longer play direct without install, and they serve as a key only, what is the point?

Last edited:

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Walked into one next to a sub place before the pandemic (was a bit early to pick up subs). There was more shit then games there.

Should change there name to FunkoPopstop

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
They got an expected boost with the pandemic along with the rest of the industry. But unlike the rest of the industry, they desperately needed that boost. Now some guy is attempting to revamp the corporation so it will "rival Amazon". Good luck with that.

But yeah, I agree with you. I rarely go in GameStop anymore because of all the clutter in the stores. Just not a pleasant experience. But, for many, there are not many more options outside of stores like Best Buy and Target, neither of which have great selections and do not carry used games. These days I'm buying digital or from Amazon myself.
Best Buy has had used games for almost 10 years now. Walmart also has used games.

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
Haven’t they been like this since forever? I recall them being like this when I was picking up PS3 games

D

Deleted member 801069

Unconfirmed Member
They’ve always had random game merchandise, but the ratio of that to games has increased year after year.
The profit margins on the stupid shit like funko pop must be massive

Does anyone buy that crap

Ten_Fold

GameStop pays their workers such shitty wages, an they know people will want to work there because GAMEZ. They could do a lot better, because last time I went in it just looks like FYE. They need to give people a real reason to shop there, because no I don’t want your membership or credit card and I don’t want to pre-order shit.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
Do they still? I thought they had stopped. Ok....thanks for the correction.
You know, I don't go in to Best Buy that often. Now that I think about it, I don't think I saw used games the last time I was in there.

Desudzer10

I still preorder my collector edition of games from my closest store. But other than that i hate going in to "browse"

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
EB will survive a while. Gamers still buy discs, and gamers need an outlet to easily trade in games and consoles for new gear.

Not everyone wants to eBay an old system for $100. They'll prefer getting $60 at GS. And GS has promos that make it a decent deal sometimes.

As for EBs interiors, ya. It's basically a toy store. Not sure if they still do it, but at one time the EB/GS by me would have like 10 ft of racks of Funko toys. That was a section all its own.

HMV was the same. The second people went digital, then a shit load of Aerosmith Tshirts, music books, mugs, they tried gaming with 360/PS3 (failure due to insane prices as they couldn't get rid of the stuff fast enough). That didn't work so they transirioned to smaller format stores in the same mall. That didn't work either. I think all of them disappeared.

Sunrise Records made a comeback in our area. Some music and DVD/BR, but it's more music merchandise, vinyl, board games. Surprising there's people there looking for this stuff in person.

I don't know if HMV and Sunrise are linked. Too lazy to check.

F

Foamy

Unconfirmed Member
Gamestop and EB Games store are gross now. They've taken just about every negative nerdy stereotype about gamers and put it up for sale.
The only thing they're missing is acne cream.

EB will survive a while. Gamers still buy discs, and gamers need an outlet to easily trade in games and consoles for new gear.

Not everyone wants to eBay an old system for $100. They'll prefer getting $60 at GS. And GS has promos that make it a decent deal sometimes.

As for EBs interiors, ya. It's basically a toy store. Not sure if they still do it, but at one time the EB/GS by me would have like 10 ft of racks of Funko toys. That was a section all its own.

HMV was the same. The second people went digital, then a shit load of Aerosmith Tshirts, music books, mugs, they tried gaming with 360/PS3 (failure due to insane prices as they couldn't get rid of the stuff fast enough). That didn't work so they transirioned to smaller format stores in the same mall. That didn't work either. I think all of them disappeared.

Sunrise Records made a comeback in our area. Some music and DVD/BR, but it's more music merchandise, vinyl, board games. Surprising there's people there looking for this stuff in person.

I don't know if HMV and Sunrise are linked. Too lazy to check.

HMV was the bomb for pre-ordering games at one point. They use to give away 800 Microsoft points when you pre-ordered and collected your game!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The profit margins on the stupid shit like funko pop must be massive

Does anyone buy that crap
Funko might be totally different, but 15 years ago I used to work at a company that did all kinds of products, including stuffed animals and other collectibles. The typical profit margin stores made was 50%. Ya, it's that high. Someone like Walmart would be closer to 40% as they might sell for a bit less.

The COG scale would look something like this:

Retail price: $10

Wholesale price: $5 (our price to them as we would ship direct and not go through a middleman wholesaler)

Our cost from Chinese factories: $1-3

I don't know what the cost to make and ship a toy is from the Chinese factory standpoint. But if they are selling this shit to us for $1-3, they arne't doing it for a loss. So it shows the profit margins on toys can be huge.

Funko is likely going to be different because a lot of their shit is licensed brands. Ballpark royalty on licensed gear is 5%. But the rest of the scale would still be generally in tact. Just got to adjust things a bit.

AJUMP23

I walked into one yesterday. All the Xbox stuff is in the front and they sell more toys than anything else.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
HMV was the bomb for pre-ordering games at one point. They use to give away 800 Microsoft points when you pre-ordered and collected your game!
In Canada, their prices were the same as everyone else's starting price, although some reason Forza 2 was $5 cheaper than everyone else so I got it there! I remember it being $55.

Problem is when games got reduced in price, HMV's games would still be $60 and would take forever to hit the bargain bin.

Looking back, those were the days. Canada parity pricing with the US when the currency exchange was 1:1.

Top Bottom