• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walked into a local GameStop after several years...

-Minsc-

I'm reminded of the days way back when I watched The Electric Playground. "Brought to you by EB Games, where games begin." It has been a very long time since I walked into a video game store.

Old Retro

Did they give you rewrapped games and tell you "it's brand new"? Or demand a phone number when you tried to preorder? Fuck them! I've been going to Best Buy for the past year for physical games, or ordering online.

OrtizTwelve

Im just saying the GameStop of TODAY is a garbage filled wasteland.

It wasn’t so bad a decade ago, it still had issues but it was a decent experience. I think GameStop’s prime was in the early days of the PS2 generation circa late 2000 up until the end of the 360/PS3/Wii era around 2013.

And yes — I fucking hate it when they sell you a “new” game but it’s really an opened unsealed case and they pop in the disk from a crappy little envelope at checkout. That’s ridiculous. I’m amazed it’s existed this long.

From what I see, let GameStop die and perhaps other retailers like Best Buy or Target can improve their games shopping experience.

To be honest there are so many better places to purchase consoles and games outside GameStop. And consumers can learn to sell their old games and consoles online.

The quicker GameStop dies the better, I will miss the good old days but let nature takes it curse and kill this sick animal off.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Recent experience with GameStop was employees ending up with 6 out 20 XSX units, then extorting all people with console preorders to buy additional merch or have their preorder cancelled on the spot, even if partially or fully paid already.

My local GAME is now located on the 1st (second for US) floor of a Sports Direct, literally in the corner behind a load of shit t-shirts.

And even then half the floor space is dedicayed to the merch crap.

OutRun88

If they simply treated their primary objective of selling games with respect, i.e. not opening new games and not putting stickers you can't easily remove on cases instead of on the wrappers, they could have bought themselves a few more years, as they would be in better shape today.

They should have used their profits to move into publishing, especially for indie games and games that did not have worldwide releases. That way, they could ensure exclusives for themselves, and who knows, some of them might have blown up in popularity.

They also should have moved into game rentals (unless they did/do, and my memory is poor).

Regardless, Funcoland was responsible for some of my fondest gaming memories in the SNES and N64 eras.
I thought about your comment some more, specifically the bolded portion, and realized that’s what ultimately kept me from buying games there.

It seems innocuous, but it bugged the shit out of me.

Last edited:

Pidull

Major music and book stores died when the digital revolution hit those industries, and Gamestop is on a fast track to sharing the same experience.

The few music/book stores that survived did so by selling the experience of music/books, and now we're at a point where more and more people are returning to vinyl or buying physical books vs. Kindle versions.

GameStop has killed itself by spending years ruining the experience of buying used games. Stickers that are impossible to remove, Used games marked as New, harassing you to pre-order, etc.

Physical isn't dead, and collecting will remain a thing and make a strong comeback once the digital revolution hits its peak. The used stores that embrace the experience of gaming will thrive, and the ones that don't will die.

OutRun88

Major music and book stores died when the digital revolution hit those industries, and Gamestop is on a fast track to sharing the same experience.

The few music/book stores that survived did so by selling the experience of music/books, and now we're at a point where more and more people are returning to vinyl or buying physical books vs. Kindle versions.

GameStop has killed itself by spending years ruining the experience of buying used games. Stickers that are impossible to remove, Used games marked as New, harassing you to pre-order, etc.

Physical isn't dead, and collecting will remain a thing and make a strong comeback once the digital revolution hits its peak. The used stores that embrace the experience of gaming will thrive, and the ones that don't will die.
This is extremely insightful. You have any interest in starting up a local shop when that occurs?

Last edited:

Solarstrike

Great OP. Sort of reminds me of the opening to the movie "A Christmas Story", funny af :pie_roffles:. Oh, what it time it was when Gamestop was packed with actual games. Where one could walk in and not trip over some filthy scalper buying all the Pokemon cards or wading through the vast ocean of Made in China Japanese trinkets (some of them are cool though). Truly a sign of the times. Digital game distribution really f'd them over after the cartridge days of consoles came to an end. Part of me says "at least they are trying", another part says, "The fking idiots should have merged with Toys R Us". If they would just shut shop for a month, reorganize with the money they have left and re-brand. Still pay their employees though! Create an ultimate game, toy, hobby store and I'll be there at least a few times a month. They should also take computer video cards and motherboards as trade in.

The potential is there for Gamestop to rise again and be a place of interest. They need leadership with foresight to see it and change with the times. People are home now more often especially with the pandemic. It's quite obvious they are trying to stay afloat. So, focus on things for people to do, if not games. Hobbies. Whether painting, building models/model kits, reading books, sculpting , board games, crafting, action figure toys, musical instruments. Maybe a bite of something to eat from a reputable food vendor inside. There's not many hobby shops or toy stores left in the States anymore. Amazon pretty much took the business of it all but sooner or later people will want to get out and explore again and buy things. Build them a place they'll have an interest in. Give them a place when they walk in the main door, they'll say "Wow!" A place where the aisles aren't cramped. Spacious, and well stocked with goods. Make a customer feel great and they'll keep coming back

Last edited:

paypay88

Banned
Sooner physical media dies , the better.
Happy that it's eliminated on PC at least.
It should be like bluray/vinyls only limited runs/purists. Main form will be digital.

chigstoke

Do stores in America try and sell you insurance for your games like Game?
Honestly I've never been sold insurance for any games I've had from Game before. Mind you, last time I've been into a Game must be pushing 2/3 years ago. Would not use them ever again.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
As long as Christmas and birthday presents from clueless relatives are still a thing, brick and mortar game chains like GS will have work to do. COVID may put an end to that, too, if Christmas with family is canceled.

Funko Pops' success is baffling, honestly. There must be a literal thousand of those thing now.

GameStop has nothing to differentiate its product from the competition with online, Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc. additionally, physical media sales are shrinking and being replaced by digital sales. They need something to differentiate themselves from the other guys. I liked their idea of having more social related elements in their stores, but COVID has basically killed that. They really have no hope to survive.

Pidull

This is extremely insightful. You have any interest in starting up a local shop when that occurs?
Actually, yes. A couple of my friends and I have discussed opening a shop at some point. I was against it until I came up with a "gimmick" that is both unique and, oddly enough, fulfills exactly what I mentioned in terms of selling an experience, not just a product.

SegaShack

Once Gamestop stopped selling retro games (2004), they just became an overpriced gamestore with nothing unique.

Recently they had a lot of sales on their website (4 for 20, 4 for 10 etc), and I spent hours finding classic games I wanted just for their own sale to not work or be glitchy (only apply to half the items).

Their "in store" inventory search is a joke as well.

The constant upselling attempts just make the consumers feel like idiots ("heres our upcoming game list to preorder, want a warranty on your brand new game?").

They are so poorly managed. I'm amazed they've stuck around as long as they have.

Last edited:

OrtizTwelve

GameStop has nothing to differentiate its product from the competition with online, Walmart, Target, Best Buy etc. additionally, physical media sales are shrinking and being replaced by digital sales. They need something to differentiate themselves from the other guys. I liked their idea of having more social related elements in their stores, but COVID has basically killed that. They really have no hope to survive.

There’s nothing they can do to make themselves appear different or unique — they’re done for.

Best Buy, Target, Walmart, and Amazon beat GameStop everyday on availability, price, and ease of use in terms of ordering online with in store pick up and browsing merchandise.

Have you used in store pickup for GameStop? It sucks, it’s like ordering from subway online and hoping they actually make your sub correct when you get to the store.

Both Xbox and PlayStation now have two digital console versions on the market — that tells you everything. GameStop lives and dies by sales of physical games. That’s what made them grow for over a decade. Not anymore though.

GameStop has no future. They’re slowly circling the drain. They’re a relic of the past when times were different and the way video games were purchased was different. Everything was different. Gaming was different.

The quicker GameStop dies the better. This will be an opportunity for other retailers to start focusing more on gaming and new things will come out of it, and they’ll do it 100x better than GameStop. No more stupid upsells, no more paying $59.99 for a “new” game that’s already opened with 10 stickers on the case and they do the whole stupid disc in an envelope thing.

Fuck them.

Last edited:

KevinHelpUs

Neo Member
Yep. They're trying to push novelty items for collectors, etc., or parents buying for their kids, but their core product is easier to purchase elsewhere and they know it. I get that they're trying to carve out a niche for themselves, and I'd probably be doing the same in their shoes, but unless they can find a reason to exist for the next decade or so, they're done for.

You can't get all defensive about our comments about GameStop and then state that you have never been to one and they aren't in your country.

We had good game stores. I mentioned Funcoland in my earlier post. Unfortunately most were either bought by GameStop or couldn't compete financially. For me personally, the people working there were never the problem, though I have had heard stories. Like anything else, some workers were good, and others were not.

There were a few major issues I had with GameStop . One was the fact that they would open up brand new games, store the discs behind the counter, and then when you went to purchase a "new" game, they would put the disc in a case right in front of your face. Furthermore, even "new" boxes would have additional labels placed on them [remember, the original wrapping had been removed] with terribly weak paper and aggressive strong and stick adhesive, making it impossible to remove without harming the cover.

One of the ONLY advantages to physical games these days is that it "looks nice" on your shelf, but GameStop ruins that aspect. Another advantage to physical is the ability to sell a used game, but GameStop screwed that up too. In negotiations in general, you shouldn't push to "win" all of the money/benefit or eventually no one will deal with you. Well, when you buy a new game for $60, get $5 back upon sale, and then they put it up for sale in their store for $50, they have taken all of the benefit out of buying/selling used games, so that market dried up for them as well.

This thread did not start as a physical vs. digital thread, but since you brought it up, nearly all of the advantages of physical media have been nullified, especially in case of sloppy, greedy merchants such as GameStop. Once physical games could no longer play direct without install, and they serve as a key only, what is the point?

I'm obviously out of touch, and need to research more. For me, the main advantages of physical were:

Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo can't screw up your account, and deny you access to your purchases. I know this is rare, but by all accounts it's a massive pain when it happens.

Games are always available - my favourite game last gen was Forza Horizon 2, which I gather can no longer be bought digitally.

Easy to sell back if I want to.

Easy to pick up cheap used copies.

Clearer protection from consumer rights law if there's any problem.

A nice box has always been low down my list of why I prefer physical.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Sad to see. I lucked out and got a PS5 from them (online), but I fear it may well be my last purchase from them.

Boss Man

Was just comparing the PS5 with disc vs digital only and thinking about whether discs are necessary. The one thing really holding digital back for me is the fact that you can find a used disc of a game for $30 while it’s still $69.99 on the PS Store. Even with the significant cost increase, digital sure is convenient though...

Durask

Their market segment is dead and there is nothing they can do to revive it. Same as Blockbuster.
Most people if they want physical copy of a AAA title, they'll just pick it up at Walmart or Target, no need to make a separate trip to a game store.
For everything else there's online shopping or digital.
For used games there is Ebay with better selection and better prices.

dcx4610

I wouldn't want them to kill the indie stores but if GameStop wants to survive, they should be like indie stores and carry games from all systems. With the rise of digital, one half of their business should be having a healthy selection of games from every generation and then the other half, a LAN/tournament/hangout. I'm not sure how you make the 2nd half profitable though but there have to be ideas.

The big problem is GameStop doesn't appreciate games or collectors. This is a company that throws away boxes and pays the same credit for lose discs as they do complete copies. I think it's a lost cause. They'd have to completely change everything about their business and philosophy to survive.

Top Bottom