• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wall Street Journal: Bobby Kotick to remain CEO of Activision Blizzard post acquisition

SegaShack

I'm wondering if Bob Kotick is out as Activision CEO after this acquisition. By out I mean in a few months he "resigns to move on to better opportunities" (aka a corporate America executive firing).

The lawsuit and his supposed role in enabling harassment in the company is a very bad look. I can see MS wanting to get rid of the old guard so to speak where they can.

Last edited:

Bartski

Gold Member
Microsoft said in its announcement that Bobby Kotick would remain as Activision’s CEO following the deal, and report to Microsoft gaming chief Phil Spencer.

Microsoft Corp. MSFT -1.29% agreed to buy Activision Blizzard Inc. ATVI +29.04% in an all-cash deal valued at $68.7 billion, using its largest acquisition by far to grab a videogame heavyweight that has been roiled by claims of workplace misconduct.
Activision shares surged nearly 38% in premarket trading Tuesday after The Wall Street Journal reported it was close to a deal with Microsoft, whose shares fell 1.6%.
Buying Activision would increase Microsoft’s videogame revenue by about half. Analysts estimate that Activision’s sales in 2021 totaled $8.7 billion, according to FactSet, while Microsoft reported $15.4 billion in gaming revenue for the fiscal year through June, accounting for about 9% of its total.

Last edited:
If I’m honest, this has lowered my opinion of Phil Spencer a bit. I understand it’s a money making business but if Phil is all about inclusion and making work a comfortable place (which I believe he has championed before) he should set a good example and look to remove Kottick from post as soon as he is able.

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
It isn't uncommon for leadership to stay on until a full transition has been completed. It could take years for an organization of this size.

Droxcy

Sure the rebrand and structure will come but the drop in value and price tag was too good to pass on and let it slip currently.

The value over x amount of years drives the decision all the stuff microsoft/xbox could fund with this also hopefully bring better resources and a revamp to the dev teams.

TheMan

Don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, Kotick made all involved a LOT of money with COD and other franchises (for example I think he was in charge during the music game craze), so it's not like he's necessarily a bad businessman. Businesses care about money first and foremost, so getting rid of him would probably have tanked their stock. No no.

On the other his reign has included some pretty bad abuse which MS seems to publicly stand against.

I think they'll keep him on for a while and then he'll retire gracefully to his italian villa to fuck big titty prostitutes in peace, as you do.

Dural

With a nice pay increase as a result.

If he goes he's substantially richer with the payout too, anybody acting like this is some sort of middle finger to him is deluded

Don't know how to feel about this. On the one hand, Kotick made all involved a LOT of money with COD and other franchises (for example I think he was in charge during the music game craze), so it's not like he's necessarily a bad businessman. Businesses care about money first and foremost, so getting rid of him would probably have tanked their stock. No no.

On the other his reign has included some pretty bad abuse which MS seems to publicly stand against.

I think they'll keep him on for a while and then he'll retire gracefully to his italian villa to fuck big titty prostitutes in peace, as you do.

Kotick has been CEO for 31 years, he bought the company in 1991 when it was in bankruptcy. The guy took them from bankruptcy to being worth $80bn.

I think MS bought Activitizion because due to all those allegations the board wanted to leave with Bobby. It was just an apportunity. Still 70b. It 90% of Nintendo basically.

Probably leaves after the deal is finalized next year. Its time for a change. And isn't he retirement age already? He probably takes his bag of cash and rides off into the sunset.

VAVA Mk2

Half Baked Boo GIF

Bragr

Banned
He's only staying a short while after the merge, there is no way Microsoft keeps him around for too long.

yurinka

Phil didn't lie when he said they were reevaluating their relationship with Activision Blizzard.

They bought them, Kotick is confirmed to continue as CEO but won a shit ton of money with the acquisition.

If you ask me, I think he will retire once the transition is complete, maybe a year or two after the acquisition is closed. He's 59 years old. Or -pretty unlikely- may force MS fire him, earning some millions more with the process.

Last edited:

Deerock71

Part of the reason they're spending more than ActiBlizz is worth is to give executives like Bobby Golden Parachutes.

Hari Seldon

The man is going to be making "buy your own island and fill it with whatever girls you want and have no laws that can touch you" money. I doubt he stays on lmao.

Top Bottom