Feb 3, 2018
USA
People are pissed about this!

Literally seething.... Because of PewDiePie

I love 2018 ... Rip

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
ah i love it

even better than hacking the WSJ is seeing people standing up for... the Wall Street Journal. lol.

PKM

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2017
Ha!

Brilliant.

Not gonna lie, hated the dude when my son used to watch him 5 or 6 years ago. When he was like 9 or 10 watching it I used to DESPISE all the damn screaming PDP would do.

Now...I'm a fan lol

SoulUnison

Dec 4, 2011
Portland, OR
It's disturbing how the internet has managed to spawn these cults of personality around completely unremarkable individuals.

We're basically seeing small-scale neo-religions form in real time.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017
given the shit WSJ did to destroy his life I only can chuckle about it. They actually HAD to apologize for all the lies they posted about him. So my advice to the WSJ get better IT stuff and while you are at it. get actual journalists

MrTickles

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2018
Your inability to process lame internet memes is disturbing indeed. 9...*cough excuse me* 14 year olds get it.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
It's disturbing how the internet has managed to spawn these cults of personality around completely unremarkable individuals.

Are you talking about the Wall Street Journal?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

Not sure I agree that the various internet cults of personality qualify as neo-religions. I'm more concerned with what's going on in the various <insert> Studies departments in universities. They are the biggest threat to separation of church and state right now.

SoulUnison

Dec 4, 2011
Portland, OR
How dare people like things
That's a massive strawman and you know it.

I'm talking about people doing relatively drastic things in service to an individual that, for all intents and purposes, isn't even aware they exist, along with how those actions are often disruptive/destructive and people cheer them on for that and not despite that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

I'm talking about people doing relatively drastic things in service to an individual that, for all intents and purposes, isn't even aware they exist, along with how those actions are often disruptive/destructive and people cheer them on for that and not despite that.
You mean like professional news outlets writing false articles and making up slander and lies about people trying to ruin their lives?

When are they going to be held accountable?

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia

These are mostly kids doing what kids do. I hold them to a lower standard than mass media.

SoulUnison

Dec 4, 2011
Portland, OR
These are mostly kids doing what kids do. I hold them to a lower standard than mass media.
But isn't a big part of what the fanbase is so fervently trying to prove (while also pretending isn't the truth so that they can remain 'counter-culture' in some way) is that PewDiePie is effectively mass media by sheer numbers, and therefore these "kids," many of which are actually adults and even more of which are absolutely old enough to know better, are actually just being obnoxious in the pursuit of attention from a mass media figure?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
But isn't a big part of what the fanbase is so fervently trying to prove (while also pretending isn't the truth so that they can remain 'counter-culture' in some way) is that PewDiePie is effectively mass media by sheer numbers, and therefore these "kids," many of which are actually adults and even more of which are absolutely old enough to know better, are actually just being obnoxious in the pursuit of attention from a mass media figure?
I would ask you to take a step back and consider if people are actually creating a cult-like figure out of PDP and others like him, or if their fandom and support is more multilayered, consisting of an interaction of actual like for the central figure as well as them appreciating broader and more general concepts that the central figure uses to draw their support

Last edited:

SoulUnison

Dec 4, 2011
Portland, OR
I would ask you to take a step back and consider if people are actually creating a cult-like figure out of PDP and others like him, or if their fandom and support is more multilayered, consisting of an interaction of actual like for the central figure as well as them appreciating broader and more general concepts that the central figure uses to draw their support
...You basically just said "Is this a cult, or is this a cult but described using more words and highlighting an indoctrination process?"

"You have to ask yourself, is this a cult-like structure, or is it just demonstrated fanatical love for an idealized central figure who uses his influence to steer his follower's will while using his snowballing apparent popularity to attract new inductees?"

Like, some of the more overtly insidious implications might be missing, but some of them only just because I don't have the time to sit here and write an essay - you're well on your way to describing a cult or religious hierarchy, there.

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
May 9, 2016
...You basically just said "Is this a cult, or is this a cult but described using more words and highlighting an indoctrination process?"

"You have to ask yourself, is this a cult-like structure, or is it just demonstrated fanatical love for an idealized central figure who uses his influence to steer his follower's will while using his snowballing apparent popularity to attract new inductees?"
No man. I think what I'm trying to say is close to the opposite.

I don't claim to have a full grasp on the situation by any means, but I'm trying to point out that it seems like kids and other people who watch/subscribe to social media celebrities like PDP are probably acting more on independent thoughts and feelings than your arguments in this thread seem to be giving them credit for. (At least the social media celebrities who live and die by ideas - I'm not talking about instagram models here.)

For example, from my perspective, I would never blindly support ANY figure just because it seems they're popular, or other people do, or that it's what I've been told I should do. I come from a religious upbringing, so rejecting this kind of thought is something I've been doing since I was very young.

I think we need to discuss this a lot more to see eye to eye.

M. Crassus

Jun 19, 2018

Like, some of the more overtly insidious implications might be missing, but some of them only just because I don't have the time to sit here and write an essay - you're well on your way to describing a cult or religious hierarchy, there.
>not understanding that all of this is just a big meme

That's enough internet for one day dad

Orpheum

Sep 7, 2015
Munich, Germany
But guys, guys!!!! He's a white supremacist, a nazi, an anti semite a bigot and a super hyper racist!!!! There's no bigger racist than PewDiePie!!! don't watch his content or you'll become a hyper racist as well, he clearly wants to assemble his army and turn them into the next KKK!!!

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
I don't get the appeal, but a person achieving 76 million subscribers and billions of views out of thin air is hardly unremarkable.

Dunki

Gold Member
Oct 24, 2017

unremarkable does not work when he almost has 78 Million subscribers. He is the biggest solo YoutTuber on the platform and this by far. To me he is entertaining because he seems very honest and genuin. And in a PC world being Anti PC will get him a lot of support as well. He even is noticed in Japan and general Asia.

Also this whole T-Series vs PewdiePie is actually hilarious and the best meme of 2018^^

Last edited:

strange headache

Fluctuat nec mergitur
Jan 14, 2018
Please tell me who's more obsessed. The "journalists" who are fine combing his online presence for the slightest slights in order to smear Pewds for outrage clicks, or the fans giving the WSJ a much needed deontological lesson in ethical journalism?

While I don't necessarily condone hacking, the non-malicious intent behind it is proof that PewDiePie's fans are much more restrained than the journalists they've chosen to oppose.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018

you mean like how people often treat their favored celebrity? What a tragedy, it's so confusing

Again...how dare people like things

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
There’s a TwediePie defence force?

Why?
I think it is more of people being tired of the lying media and saw a quick way to capitalize a trolling attempt while it is still a topic in the news.

But that same question can be used for anyone who is idolized.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
There’s a TwediePie defence force?

Why?
Uh. Yes.

He has 77 million subscribers on one of the most popular sites on the internet.

He has raised hundreds of thousands for charities.

He makes and kills memes.

He is extremely relatable and "real".

He uploads original content every day.

It's pretty fucking obvious people like and are willing to defend their favorite personality from being slandered by media that has less of a following than he does.

olimariOA

Nov 28, 2018
Texas
Academia is such a joke

Do words have meaning anymore?
"If you like Pewdiepie you support genocide. You're a nazi. "

I'd love to see the list of everybody who has been labeled a racist or a Nazi and then compare those claims to their likely mundane lives and voting records.

oagboghi2

Apr 15, 2018
Academia is such a joke

Do words have meaning anymore?
"If you like Pewdiepie you support genocide. You're a nazi. "

I'd love to see the list of everybody who has been labeled a racist or a Nazi and then compare those claims to their likely mundane lives and voting records.
SoulUnison, is that you?

I wonder how many boomers and older people now think memes and jokes make you a "Nazi" now

eot

Apr 13, 2012
All this shit is so insane, but the upside is that they're exposing to people how crazy they are