• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Walmart in-store Wii U preorders begin 10/14

Search and coudnt find anything.

From CAG,

Sorry for the long post guys. This comes from an official Walmart document being shared with employees and layaway. The ad for in-store preorders will run in Sunday's Walmart circular 10/14/12. Details below if someone wants to add to the wiki. There is a limit of only 2 preorders per person.

Wii U Layaway Reservation Process
Starts: Sunday, October 14 - Ends: Thursday November 1 (or until allocated qty sold)

Overview
• The Wii U Black Deluxe Console Set can be reserved, Oct. 14 through Nov.1 using the Holiday Layaway system.
• IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to limited quantities the period to reserve your copy could end sooner
o Sales block will be placed on item number once allocated quantity has been met.
• Utilize the Holiday Layaway process to execute the reservation of the Wii U console.
• Layaway service fee of $5 and 10% down applies to reserve the console.

Preparation
• Obtain a folder for the Wii U Black Deluxe console reservation process to hold the layaway package labels for all
pre-sold reservations and secure the folder in the layaway area.
• Create a layaway bin label and apply it to the folder.

Execution
1. Scan barcode of the Black Deluxe Console.(While supplies last)
2. Register will prompt Product Care Plan, Optional. Without a serial number scan the upc two times.
Wii U Deluxe Console
Item 550924127
UPC 45496880866
$349.96
3. IMPORTANT NOTE: Customer may pay a majority of the balance in the initial transaction, but no matter what
there must be a minimum balance of at least one penny, $.01 left on the account when reserving the console.
• This will assist with tracking when the customer returns to pick up the game.
4. Complete transaction and print one package label for each reserved unit.
5. Bin and place the package label(s) in the Wii U reservation folder.
6. Remind the customer on the following elements;
• Wii U launches at 12:01 am on Nov.18 and will be available for pickup.
• Pickup location is the layaway desk, not the Electronics register.
• Return with receipt for a smooth pickup on launch date.
7. Place the pre-sell Wii U folder in a secure location under the layaway register until the launch date of Nov.18 at
12:01am.

Receiving Reserved Wii U Consoles
1. Pre-sold Wii U consoles will arrive into stores DTS Wednesday Nov. 14 through Friday Nov. 16.
• Carton will be marked; Wii U Layaway Merchandise; Take to Store Manager for Midnight launch on
11/18.
2. Take the reserved consoles to the security room until boxes can be labeled and binned.
3. Apply the package labels from the reservation folder to each unit, re-assign the reserved consoles to the proper
storage location and bin until 12:01am on 11/18 launch night.
Midnight Launch
1. Be prepared before the midnight launch
2. Ensure the Layaway area is staffed with a layaway trained associate for the midnight launch.
• Support manager, Assistant manager, etc.
3. Have the deluxe console set and folder secured under the layaway register Saturday night at 11:45pm
4. When the customer picks up their Wii U console
• Ask for the receipt and complete the layaway transaction
• Cross through the package label located in the folder with a pen.
5. Add-on attachment sales by having the following item displayed at launch.
• Cards, Controllers, Games, Charging cradle

I sat on the floor of a Walmart for 16 hours with the last spot in line back in 2006 for the Wii.

The entire time I was paranoid that they miscounted and I miscounted.

One Wii, extra controller and nunchuck, Twilight Princess, and Excite Truck later, I was playing Wii Sports Tennis with about 20 people that night.

Memories...

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why preorder? I'm pretty sure you can walk into a store on Sunday and buy a Wii U over the counter. Don't give these guys interest free loans.

Bsigg12

Why preorder? I'm pretty sure you can walk into a store on Sunday and buy a Wii U over the counter. Don't give these guys interest free loans.

You do get the $5 fee back upon picking up your items. So it's not like it's that big of a deal. I think it's a good idea for anyone who pre-ordered at TRU or missed it all together.

Walmart Layaway Program

I wonder how many people are going to die?

artist representation of the event:
large.jpg

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm going to go in at 12:01 next sunday and see if I can get a deluxe this way. I've had good luck with Wal-Mart and new consoles in the past.

Amir0x

Banned
they are pretty late with this, eh. good there's still an option for people. my fiancee already pre-ordered mine at gamestop though, as a gift. I just don't know what game to get. Rayman delayed, no Pikmin, and only NSMB after three previous NSMB games I could have lived without... must...decide...soon

I wonder how Scribblenauts Unlimited will be? It's either that or Zombie U at this point looked at that dismal launch, not sure I want to bet on a Ubisoft LAUNCH title and I'm pretty sure last I heard Jackson's crew took the criticisms to heart and fixed the Scribblenauts concept, so maybe...

vireland

Refundable to a Walmart gift card. Last time I ordered something at Walmart was over a year ago

In California, they have to cash out gift cards for $10 or less on demand, so nothing lost in the Sunshine State. Get your card, then hand it back and request the cash out as per state law.

bluehat9

So where will people camp out now? Basically every store has preordering. Or will they sit outside for 20 hours with their receipt so they can be first in the store?

I will wait for Amazon......the reason why is the closest Walmart to me is in Maplewood in St. Louis, Missouri......it is the most hood, white trashiest Walmart I have seen.

Eric C

I'm going to go in at 12:01 next sunday and see if I can get a deluxe this way. I've had good luck with Wal-Mart and new consoles in the past.

The people in the layaway department might not be on staff at midnight, you might have to wait until the next morning.

vireland

I wonder how Scribblenauts Unlimited will be? It's either that or Zombie U at this point looked at that dismal launch, not sure I want to bet on a Ubisoft LAUNCH title and I'm pretty sure last I heard Jackson's crew took the criticisms to heart and fixed the Scribblenauts concept, so maybe...

At E3, I was looking forward to SU, but hands-on, I felt the integration with the WiiU touchpad was really uninspired. It felt like a sub-DS experience. I didn't *hate* it, but I was disappointed.

CronoShot

Interesting. I work at Walmart (granted, in the photo lab, but I do sometimes work in electronics and layaway) and haven't heard anything about this until now.

I'll probably do this instead of my Best Buy in-store pickup order.

Eric C

I will wait for Amazon......
yeah, you might be waiting a long time

Reggie Fils-Aime said:
"Amazon as a direct sale company currently does not sell Nintendo hardware."
http://kotaku.com/5944662/something...ntendo-and-amazon-but-neither-side-is-talking

So where will people camp out now? Basically every store has preordering. Or will they sit outside for 20 hours with their receipt so they can be first in the store?

Target hasn't done in store pre-orders yet, have they?

Amir0x

Banned
At E3, I was looking forward to SU, but hands-on, I felt the integration with the WiiU touchpad was really uninspired. It felt like a sub-DS experience. I didn't *hate* it, but I was disappointed.

oh... sigh. I hate launches for all systems, I'm always stuck springing for something I don't really want. Guess Zombie U it really is then :(

Thanks for the impressions. I'll give Scribblenauts a try at NYCC, but I'll keep expectations really low.

So does this mean Wal-Marts are trying to avoid managing a queue of people waiting until midnight?

Are there going to be any stores that wont be already sold out of the system before midnight at launch?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I've never been impressed with Scribblenauts yet have been suckered in to buy it more than once. I think I prefer every single other game they have made to it.

Fantastic idea. Blah execution. My launch title is Mario and I'm more than pleased with that, it looks incredible.

FINALBOSS

Banned
So why are the lines gonna be massive if you're going to be pre-ordering the thing?

You guys think there will be lines to pre-order or to pick the damn thing up?

So does this mean Wal-Marts are trying to avoid managing a queue of people waiting until midnight?

Are there going to be any stores that wont be already sold out of the system before midnight at launch?
There might just be flurry of people just coming in through out the day. I dont think there would be a line as the ad comes out sunday. Casuals first time seeing it would be that day. If there is a line then damn, there is a line.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
In California, they have to cash out gift cards for $10 or less on demand, so nothing lost in the Sunshine State. Get your card, then hand it back and request the cash out as per state law.

Oh that's right. I've only done that once.

So why are the lines gonna be massive if you're going to be pre-ordering the thing?

You guys think there will be lines to pre-order or to pick the damn thing up?

No not for pre-orders. I was referring to the fact wal-mart hasn't done console pre-orders in the past. If you wanted the console, you would wait outside walmart in a line the night before it's released. Thats how it was done with PSWii360. I'm assuming by having pre-orders the console will be sold out before the console releases thus rendering a line before midnight pointless since people who pre-ordered it can come in and pick it up.

Thoraxes

Target hasn't done in store pre-orders yet, have they?

No. They haven't historically done them for the last consoles launches I was there day 1 for.

Those were 3DS, Vita, Wii, PS3, DS Lite, and the DS Phatty.

For the Wii and PS3 they came out around 6AM-ish to hand out tickets to those in line with places on them for their allotment of units.

My Target I remember had about 25 Wiis on launch day.

Top Bottom