• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to Hear Britney Spears sans Auto-Tune? It's your lucky day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Considering this is the track list for her next album:

I'd say she isn't afraid to experiment and take risks. And I am grouping her into the a-typical umbrella of popstars that people usually think of, like taylor swift and katy perry. She is far more experimental with her sound than they are, imo, kanye.

I just listened to a bunch of clips on youtube, you need to link to something that doesn't sound like over-produced top-40, because this woman sounds like the antithesis of risk taking and experimentation. Swift, Perry, and Yeezy aren't really in the conversation as benchmarks for risk taking experimental artists either. I need MF Doom, Bjork, or better.

I guess I'm not much of a "pop" guy, but when I heard Ariana I really couldn't place her as someone unique among a crowd of voices. She sounds like every r&b hook since 1998.

botty

Banned
I just listened to a bunch of clips on youtube, you need to link to something that doesn't sound like over-produced top-40, because this woman sounds like the antithesis of risk taking and experimentation. Swift, Perry, and Yeezy aren't really in the conversation as benchmarks for risk taking experimental artists either. I need MF Doom, Bjork, or better.

I guess I'm not much of a "pop" guy, but when I heard Ariana I really couldn't place her as someone unique among a crowd of voices. She sounds like every r&b hook since 1998.

You're spouting hyperbole now and moving outside of the parameter i have laid down. If I am talking about pop tarts like taylor swift and k. perry, why even bring bjork into the equation. It would be like us having a conversation about who is the better pee-wee football player and then you saying, "Well, I need them to be as good as x NFL player." C'mon now. Anyway, I think people are underestimating Ariana's spectrum and diversity. I knew she was something special when she listed Imogen Heap as her biggest inspiration.

Oh and that last comment is kind of insulting to a lot of really good r&b hooks. c'mon now.

She has one fucking song

she doesn't but ok.

FpsAVGL.gif

lazygecko

If you're gonna be cynical about this kind of thing, then you should consider that pretty much all music has been "faked" since tape recording and editing became possible in the 50's. Before that, you had to nail it all in one take.

I have definitely been keeping my eye on Ariana Grande. She has serious potential. What do y'all think of JoJo though? Her live stuff is nice and no lip-syncing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1dWxp2SSqQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vb_nH68Z1bs

She was so young on her first album but has these huge pipes! Second album is a classic. Third album is not as popular but experiments with different styles and is fantastic. She was supposed to have a new album out by now but I don't know what is going on with it. Still touring though.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow when I first heard this from another forum I just assumed it was fake. It sounded so bad that it couldn't have been real. Yet here we are.

Monocle

The song is catchy and I never considered Britney a gleaming pearl of vocal talent anyway. Who ever did, really? She has a brand and she sells it. Yep, she sounds awful without machine enhancement, but if you like her product, cool. If you're looking for a legit singer, there are lots of other artists out there.

Personally I just listen to what sounds good to me.

Wait, sorry... Brit just got CLOWNED by her betters. That's what happens to Fake. Ass. Bitches. And honey, that's the only kind of fab you ever were. Oh, the shade of it all.

Grinchy

Banned
If we had the same kind of audio from Beyonce, Katy Perry, and all the other make believe artists, then we could hook up a water turbine that powered the world for a year with nothing but PopGAF's tears. Pop music would finally save the world.

Roo

More than the fact that she clearly can't reach those high notes
I amazed at how high-pitched and nasal she sounds with every new album she releases. Seriously what is that? I heard her Zone album years ago and it doesn't sound nothing like this mess or any of her recent songs.

Roland1979

That sounds just horrible. Awful. Warming up or not, even when going for very low or high or slow, etc, on purpose, that person on the track cannot sing. It's not just that's it's not a really good voice, it's just bad. And that's that.

What is this Arianna Grande most experimental of all time nonsense? She copies Mariah, and when that doesn't work, she copies every other pop song out there in the world/Lady Gaga+Zedd with Break Free.

Her voice is nice, but what is this nonsense? She always sounds like someone else, be it her voice or her music sound.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Threads like this just confirm PopGAF as the craziest GAF sub-culture.

This sounds like she sung it into the autotune rack (probably pre-programmed with midi notes) while monitoring the altered signal. This is how everyone would sound doing that. I'm not a giant britney spears fan but I'm sure she's capable of better. They obviously took the autotune out in this render of the track leaving you with the dry signal which is naturally going to sound like you're pitch deaf since you were during recording.

Also why is it always labeled autotune, maybe the studio engineer prefers melodyne, or studio one's integrated solutions, or the waves thingy.
Furthermore everyone sounds terrible without autotune to someone who's accustomed to listening to mostly pop music. Pitch perfect performance is rare and requires a ridiculous amount of talent, probably a hint of genetic luck and endless amounts of coaching.
Seriously autotune is endemic and it's pretty hard to hear if used in manual mode. And the unfortunate truth is that you're going to have to get used to it, in fact you already are, you just don't realize it most of the time.

TsuXna

Not surprising.
Always thought the majority of the famous singers has nothing to offer, lyrics about nothing as well as vocals, but yet they are famous for hell knows what.

Dragon

Banned
I always thought Ellie Goulding did auto tuning and I'm a big fan of hers but I saw her sing live and was surprised she doesn't. She has a good voice and isn't trash like Britney.

I expected so much worse.

Disappoint.

At this point, ANY-EVERY-ALL pop stars probably sound not too fucking far off from this when they are in the studio. Exceptions are the real talents, Lana Del Ray, Ellie Goulding, and MAYBE Katy Perry.

It's her whiny little grunty noizes that are a lot more offensive to me than her tone-deaf singing.

Neidii

I wasn't expecting it to be so horrible. She sounds like when someone walks up on a stage for the first time and gets all nervous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom