• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Drama Rumor [WaPo] QAnon believers grapple with doubt, spin new theories as Trump era ends: ‘We all got played'

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

dlauv

Apr 6, 2014
Texas
Wait, QAnon is an "ideology" now? I thought it was a bunch of Larps? What even is the "ideology" to begin with? (I made a thread asking about that, and it was impossible to get a coherent answer, because the group in and of itself is so incoherent)

Who knows if she was really QAnon, but the thinking is synonymous at least.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006

To be fair, it looks like they actually aren't claiming that Biden was secretly a good guy all along, just that Trump took the death penalty off the table.

Of course, why am I being fair to this idiocy. Besides, I thought the Qtards pushed the Great Awakening to March 4th?

Redlight

Feb 5, 2014
A bunch of YouTube “prophets,” some of them with hundreds of thousands of followers, also kept promising that Trump would get his second term even after he conceded, and to wait for some kind of surprise revelation on January 20th that would make it happen. Con artists preying on desperate people looking for hope.
It's amazing to watch. Some of these people (followers rather than promoters) are 100% morons so there's some joy in watching them scramble.

That said, a lot of Q followers seem perfectly articulate and intelligent. You wouldn't cross the street to avoid them or be uncomfortable sitting next to them on a bus. They're probably pillars of their local communities, go to church, give to charities, help their neighbours etc, etc.

Their disconnect with reality seems less about being fooled than it is the wilful abandonment of rationality. That's fascinating to me.

fart town usa

May 31, 2009
Saddest part is that Q always said, "enjoy the show..." These people never realized that they are the show. Thank God no one in my family believed in that stuff.

• Empathy
Reactions: infinitys_7th

infinitys_7th

Gold Member
Oct 1, 2006
It's amazing to watch. Some of these people (followers rather than promoters) are 100% morons so there's some joy in watching them scramble.

That said, a lot of Q followers seem perfectly articulate and intelligent. You wouldn't cross the street to avoid them or be uncomfortable sitting next to them on a bus. They're probably pillars of their local communities, go to church, give to charities, help their neighbours etc, etc.

Their disconnect with reality seems less about being fooled than it is the wilful abandonment of rationality. That's fascinating to me.

The one who has been texting me is a doctor. He started out decently rational, because Q uses substantiated things like The Finders to bring people in (makes it glow all the more to me).

Now he is talking about man-eating aliens kidnapping children and Hillary and company eating the kids with them and all this crazy shit. It's entertaining, and I've enjoyed asking liminal questions to see how far it goes, but now depression has set in.

• Empathy
Reactions: Redlight

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020

Some of it is Covid madness, I think. Like the social consensus structures that keep people from spiraling out have been replaced with these self-reinforcing online communities where this shit can go completely unchecked.

Ichabod

Feb 18, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I remember looking into Q when I first came across the wwg1wga hashtag and my first thought was, "what a crock of shit."

I almost feel bad for the poor saps who fell for it hook, line, and sinker.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
QAnon: Big things are gonna happen soon!
*nothing happens*
QAnon: Yep, it's all happening, just you see
Everyone: You're an idiot and a lunatic
QAnon: Oh, getting nervous, I see! Methinks the libcuck doth protest too much. That's how I know I'm on the right track
*entire thing collapses*
Everyone: See? It was all fake.
QAnon: The MSM put too much effort into discrediting it for it to be fake. Maybe Q, like, died or something.

showernota

Jun 6, 2020
*nothing happens*
QAnon: Oh, getting nervous, I see! Methinks the libcuck doth protest too much. That's how I know I'm on the right track
*entire thing collapses*
QAnon: The MSM put too much effort into discrediting it for it to be fake. Maybe Q, like, died or something.

Haha, that's great. Now do one about Trump and his entire family getting arrested, and being removed from the Whitehouse by the military for their many crimes.

Everyone is an idiot.

Last edited:

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Mar 19, 2014
Toronto, CA
There are people that are close to me that really believed that Trump would stage a military coup today and arrest Obama, Hillary, and essentially any political opponent of Trump....and they were stoked for that shit too.

lmao yup sums up hardcore trump supporters

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Haha, that's great. Now do one about Trump and his entire family getting arrested, and being removed from the Whitehouse by the military for their many crimes.

Everyone is an idiot.
People fall for conspiracies on all sides. 9/11 Trutherism was mostly a left thing for a long time.

But you have to admit there's a certain "opposite day" contrarianism, and unshakable religious faith to QAnon that is unlike anything we've seen outside of proper cults.

• LOL
Reactions: Tesseract

Turnt

Jul 21, 2018
*nothing happens*
*entire thing collapses*

I think you'll find the plan is still on and Q was just using the Hebrew system for dates.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Yeah I've talked about that. A real creepy prevalence of gnostic rhetoric.
It's true of Trumpism broadly, by the way. While Republicans have always been more religious, about 10% were atheist or agnostic during the Obama administration, but the amount that supported Trump was virtually none.

That would probably be expected if Trump were a religious conservative like Pat Buchanan or Mitt Romney, but its curious given that Trump himself is not at all religious and in fact known for being a bit vulgar and debauched. Which means there's something else going on. There's essentially this really high level of syncretism between very religious people and Trump.

I don't say this as a critique on religion, because I don't take a dim view of it at all, but there's something weird and troubling about the way it manifests in Trumpism, I think.
Who cares about a small sect like Qanon? 40% of the country once believed Trump colluded with russians, and we’ee here talking about Qanon?

Because QAnon-related conspiracies and conspiratorial thinking in general has infected the right as a whole, far beyond the proper QAnon indoctrinates. Even on this board, we've seen our share of pizzagaters, believers in "The Storm," election fraud believers, etc, all this stuff is "Q-lite" conspiracy tripe and a LOT of Republicans believe it.

Last edited:

showernota

Jun 6, 2020
It's true of Trumpism broadly, by the way. While Republicans have always been more religious, about 10% were atheist or agnostic during the Obama administration, but the amount that supported Trump was virtually none.

That would probably be expected if Trump were a religious conservative like Pat Buchanan or Mitt Romney, but its curious given that Trump himself is not at all religious and in fact known for being a bit vulgar and debauched. Which means there's something else going on. There's essentially this really high level of syncretism between very religious people and Trump.

I don't say this as a critique on religion, because I don't take a dim view of it at all, but there's something weird and troubling about the way it manifests in Trumpism, I think.
Conflating Christianity and 'religion' is going to make a discussion regarding gnosticism with you impossible.

The prevalence of that kind of rhetoric in circles that involve quite a few 'Christians' is very concerning.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
Conflating Christianity and 'religion' is going to make a discussion regarding gnosticism with you impossible.

The prevalence of that kind of rhetoric in circles that involve quite a few 'Christians' is very concerning.
I'm really not conflating it with Christians, I just said that usually the religious demographic is captivated by leaders who are, themselves overtly religious.

But I have seen this in the Jewish community as well, and occasionally in the "alternative faith" community as well (like Q Shaman, or some of the Viking pagans), it isn't limited to Christians, but does seem to exclude atheists.

Last edited:

showernota

Jun 6, 2020
I'm really not conflating it with Christians, I just said that usually the religious demographic is captivated by leaders who are, themselves overtly religious.
It's true of Trumpism broadly, by the way. While Republicans have always been more religious Christian, about 10% were atheist or agnostic during the Obama administration, but the amount that supported Trump was virtually none.

That would probably be expected if Trump were a religious Christian conservative like Pat Buchanan or Mitt Romney, but its curious given that Trump himself is not at all religious Christian and in fact known for being a bit vulgar and debauched. Which means there's something else going on. There's essentially this really high level of syncretism between very religious Christian people and Trump.

I don't say this as a critique on religion Christianity, because I don't take a dim view of it at all, but there's something weird and troubling about the way it manifests in Trumpism, I think.
You were though, unless you think you could throw in Muslim (lol Muslim Pat Buchanan) or Hindu and that post would make sense (yes, Orthodox Jews were mostly for Trump too).

I'm talking specifically about the pervasive gnosticism of qanon, and you're just talking about Trump attracting 'religious' people. We're talking about different things, is my point.

Last edited:

nyr88nyg

May 23, 2020

Because QAnon-related conspiracies and conspiratorial thinking in general has infected the right as a whole, far beyond the proper QAnon indoctrinates. Even on this board, we've seen our share of pizzagaters, believers in "The Storm," election fraud believers, etc, all this stuff is "Q-lite" conspiracy tripe and a LOT of Republicans believe it.
Lol no. If that was true Fox News would have pushed the election was fraudulent for 2 months, which it didn’t.

gamerMan

Jun 10, 2014
toybuzz.org
This whole thing reminds me of Nostradamus. QAnon must be his cousin. I remember I used to believe in that when I was a kid. One day I went back and looked at his prophecies and realized it was a big sham.

I realized that key to becoming a prophet is to use vague language that can be interpreted by followers as some kind of prophecy. Your followers will then study your every word thinking it holds the key to their own made-up truths. Here's what Nordstrodomaus "predicted" in one of his quatrains about "Trump."

The false trumpet concealing madness,
Will cause Byzantium to change its laws.
From Egypt there will go forth a man who wants
The edict withdrawn, changing money and standards.
He great shameless, audacious bawler. He will be elected governor of the army: The boldness of his contention. The bridge broken, the city faint from fear.

What does it all mean. Before the election, Nodstrodomous followers believed it meant Donald Trump would be reelected. We know now that Nordstrodomous meant something else since his "predictions" can't be wrong. There was a false 2020 election that led to madness at the Capitol. QAnon will be elected president.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Sep 5, 2014
USA

Cleared_Hot

Feb 25, 2018
Yep, I still haven't heard a clear, concise and logical explanation of what Q actually is and how it's supposedly a big organized threat. If anything what happened at the Capitol was one of the most disorganized events I've ever seen.
yeah, and to further your point, it only proved how ANTIFA is VASTLY more organized. i mean shit, the capitol dorks didnt even wear masks. theyre all in jail now LOL

A.Romero

Feb 23, 2009
Mexico
www.lavejota.com
As an outsider the most obvious sign that it was all a scam was thinking Trump was some sort of master strategist. You could tell by looking at how he talked at interviews that he didn't even have average intelligence.

Whenever he said something stupid, his followers would say he was trolling the left. Regretfully he was just really stupid.

Is just very sad that millions of people made an egomaniac feel above average by giving him all that power and responsibility.

It was all a response to the huge and equally stupid PC movement that started towards the end of the Obama years. All that extreme progressive stuff had a huge toll. Even GAF got torn apart by it.

It happened in many countries around the world. I just hope humanity has learned that messiahs don't exist and fixing shit takes actual work and not just destroying people that think different.

No different than the fanatics that blow themselves up for the jihad. It just so happens that the western society is a little more developed and it's harder to go to those extremes.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
Oh, man, this is a great article detailing what was happening behind the scenes with the acting Secretary of Defense Miller and his close associates in the final days of the Trump presidency. I remember so many people on both sides of the political spectrum speculating that these guys got installed by Trump as yes men so he could use the military to bring in martial law, but it really couldn't be further from the truth.

Really just shows how easy it is to concoct a batshit narrative out of a few facts and get tons of people to believe it.

Still, these words from Miller about the Department of Defense and the erosion of the chain of command were quite disturbing:

Sitting on his couch at the end of a surreal week, he finally took off the gloves. His target? The Defense Department itself, the largest organization in the world—and one he has served in various ways since he was 18. “This fucking place is rotten. It’s rotten.” Miller’s gravest concern, he said, involved a bedrock principle of American democracy: civilian control of the military. “When the system is weighted towards the Joint Staff and the geographic combatant commanders against civilian control, you know, we’ve got to rethink this.” He expressed a belief that by “idolizing and fetishizing” the top brass, members of Congress had ignored an erosion over time in the chain of command.

“We’re in a crisis mode,” Cohen had told me earlier. He said he and others had discovered that the Joint Chiefs were creating their own “security compartments” containing operational planning details “for the express purpose of hiding key information from career civilian and political leaders in the Pentagon”—up to and including the secretary of Defense. Talk about a deep state. “That means that policymakers were basing their decisions on partial information. It’s very dangerous and irresponsible, and that’s something I’ve actually highlighted in my conversations with [Biden’s] transition team.” I’ll admit it sounded loopy. To me it had all the elements of a Trump fever dream: The military and intelligence establishment was somehow scheming against the renegades. That is, until two other senior national security officials—with Miller and company—confirmed Cohen’s assertion.

“The entire system,” Miller stated, “the intelligence community [included], is complicit in setting up all these compartments—so that only very select people actually have perspective and access to the entire picture. And then your question is, ‘Well, who are these people that have the complete picture?’ I felt like I finally did as acting SECDEF—to a point. I’m sure there’s still some stuff that was being compartmented. But I don’t know that for a fact.”

Last edited:

Iorv3th

Jan 16, 2013
The thing I never got about Q and other conspiracy theories. Is people said "oh he predicted this would happen".

Well it's like a cold reader, if you say enough broad shit someone is going to pick up on something and somehow link it to something else that happens in reality.

The Q shit was never even exact I don't think, people would just 'interpret' it to mean things and then they would all jump on board with that persons interpretation.

We need James Randi back from the dead to explain this con to these people.