• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Drama Rumor [WaPo] QAnon believers grapple with doubt, spin new theories as Trump era ends: ‘We all got played'

MastaKiiLA

Jun 11, 2020
The only thing better than the meltdowns from those who realize they've been duped, are the mental gymnastics from those who still want to believe. Conan the Intellectual would agree that this is what's good in life.

BadBurger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2019

Shouldn't have done it dude

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
The thing I never got about Q and other conspiracy theories. Is people said "oh he predicted this would happen".

Well it's like a cold reader, if you say enough broad shit someone is going to pick up on something and somehow link it to something else that happens in reality.

The Q shit was never even exact I don't think, people would just 'interpret' it to mean things and then they would all jump on board with that persons interpretation.

We need James Randi back from the dead to explain this con to these people.
Yeah the actual Q drops mostly read like some kind of absurd Taoist poetry or something. More questions than answers. The rest of it was just a circle jerk if people making up theories and interpretations and getting each other worked up.

A lot of it was just trying to interpret hidden clues in shit. They seem like they kind of people that think the TV is talking to them. It's sort of a big ARG in a way, except it's all imaginary.

But it does have a few core pillars, the most important one of which is that Trump is the savior figure and is working to take down a conspiracy of evil people (who were initially all democrats but increasingly are just anyone who butts heads with Trump). So Trump's term ending is a rough one for them to grapple with.

A few of them are hanging in though. Mostly the contrarian types. "If all these liberals are calling us retarded then we must be onto something."

nemiroff

Gold Member
Feb 19, 2018
I for one still don't have a clue what qanon is.. I've tried to read a little bit about it but for some reason my brain just tunes out.

Elcid

Jul 27, 2018
The first time I heard about Q I immediately recognized the OBVIOUS STREET FIGHTER reference and knew it was a LARP.

TheContact

Gold Member
Jan 22, 2016
I for one still don't have a clue what qanon is.. I've tried to read a little bit about it but for some reason my brain just tunes out.

i think it had something to do with someone in the intel community (Q) making accurate predictions, then it got turned into the idea that trump was put on earth to rid the child molesters who control the democratic party in jail and he becomes god emperor or something. didn't want my IQ to drop so I never looked into it too much

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
May 22, 2018
Watching the Right flail about in confusion and rage the last few weeks has honestly added at least 4 years to my lifespan. I got to see my relatives on facebook completely lose their shit over Trump losing at first, but I have gotten the added bonus of them turning on him and blaming him for his loss following it. They blame everything from the imaginary deep state to Trump himself.

It's been an amazing few weeks.

Last edited:

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
Watching the Right flail about in confusion and rage the last few weeks has honestly added at least 4 years to my lifespan. I got to see my relatives on facebook completely lose their shit over Trump losing at first, but I have gotten the added bonus of them turning on him and blaming him for his loss following it. They blame everything from the imaginary deep state to Trump himself.

It's been an amazing few weeks.

Sorry to hear that you get joy out of watching your relatives experience mental anguish. :messenger_heart:

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
May 22, 2018
Sorry to hear that you get joy out of watching your relatives experience mental anguish. :messenger_heart:
Well a significant portion of my relatives are arrogant assholes so yeah I do get quite a lot of joy out of that.

• Empathy
Reactions: QuantumZebra

Horns

I drop hot takes hoping you'll argue with me. Just ignore me.
Jun 23, 2010
Been following r/qanoncausalities on Reddit and the number of people with family and friends lost to Qanon is suprising. Didn't honestly expect that many people could be duped into believing the bullshit that Q has spewed.

Reactions: 12Goblins
Aug 11, 2019
Yeah the actual Q drops mostly read like some kind of absurd Taoist poetry or something. More questions than answers. The rest of it was just a circle jerk if people making up theories and interpretations and getting each other worked up.

A lot of it was just trying to interpret hidden clues in shit. They seem like they kind of people that think the TV is talking to them. It's sort of a big ARG in a way, except it's all imaginary.

But it does have a few core pillars, the most important one of which is that Trump is the savior figure and is working to take down a conspiracy of evil people (who were initially all democrats but increasingly are just anyone who butts heads with Trump). So Trump's term ending is a rough one for them to grapple with.

A few of them are hanging in though. Mostly the contrarian types. "If all these liberals are calling us retarded then we must be onto something."
I have a few friends that got into the Q thing pretty heavy and of course I just had to look into it.

You're right, the "drops" were all purposefuly obtuse and cryptic/open to interpretation. I saw someone post a q post from 2017 about things going dark and of course they tied it to the white house lights being off. My favorite part was when Q was constantly getting things wrong and people were saying that it was to throw the deep state off of Q's trail.

People want to have something to believe in, unfortunately it gets channeled into goofy shit like q anon.

Reactions: Iorv3th

Mass Shift

Jun 12, 2019
Because with qanon there's nothing for your brain to actually tune into.

But watching their collective meltdown on Reddit, Twitter etc as Biden was being inaugurated was truly revealing. You had the most desperate holdouts who really expected federal officers to charge up the steps and start arresting Biden, Harris, Pelosi or anyone with a D by their name.

As I told one individual on Reddit that no arrests were coming, A few Q's who were hot to correct me responded with, "You just watch!" and "Wait for it, just wait for it!"

It was stunning. That despite what they were currently witnessing with their own eyes, somehow the reality of the moment failed to penetrate their psyche.

Reactions: FunkMiller

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Dec 26, 2008
Spain

But watching their collective meltdown on Reddit, Twitter etc as Biden was being inaugurated was truly revealing. You had the most desperate holdouts who really expected federal officers to charge up the steps and start arresting Biden, Harris, Pelosi or anyone with a D by their name.

As I told one individual on Reddit that no arrests were coming, A few Q's who were hot to correct me responded with, "You just watch!" and "Wait for it, just wait for it!"

It was stunning. That despite what they were currently witnessing with their own eyes, somehow the reality of the moment failed to penetrate their psyche.

The power of delusion never ceases to amaze me.

QuantumZebra

Dec 5, 2013
Atlanta, GA

Dude... flat-earthers exist.

People will believe anything.

SF Kosmo

...please disperse...
Jul 7, 2020
We had a lot of that kind of "Just you watch" stuff from our our Compsiox and Liberty4All. Any time you'd tell them it was dumb or wasn't going to happen they'd accuse you of getting "nervous."

And I don't think either of them were really QAnons, either, I think probably 1/3 of the Republican base has fallen into this sort of Q-adjacent conspiracy think, and when you look at the election fraud conspiracies quite a lot more than that.

Last edited:

Petey-o

Nov 17, 2019
GAF when seeing upset leftist: librul tears, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
GAF when seeing upset rightists: their feelings :'(

Ornlu

Banned
Oct 31, 2018
GAF when seeing upset leftist: librul tears, reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
GAF when seeing upset rightists: their feelings :'(

Or maybe people should try and love their family, even if their views don't match yours. :messenger_heart:

It's one thing to laugh at the ideas of people you don't know; it's another to celebrate your own blood going through hard times. I would hope we could at least agree on that?

• Empathy
Reactions: DeepEnigma