• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Ryan and Pelosi to huddle on Dream Act to protect DACA recipients

Zolo

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amph...017/09/12/ryan-pelosi-to-huddle-on-dream-act/
Top House leaders plan to huddle Wednesday to begin discussing legislation that would provide protections to nearly 700,000 "dreamers" at risk of losing their legal status in six months if Congress fails to act.

House Speaker Paul D. Ryan (R-Wis.) and House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) plan to meet with House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), House Minority Whip Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) and the leaders of the congressional Asian, Black and Hispanic caucuses to discuss potential debate of the Dream Act, a bill that would grant legal protections to the roughly 690,000 people currently enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, the Obama-era executive action that protects undocumented immigrants who were brought to the United States as children.

"The speaker has said he wants Congress to address DACA as the president has called for, but he has not endorsed any one measure and has said border security will need to be a part of the solution," Ryan's spokeswoman, AshLee Strong, said in an email confirming the meeting.

The meeting, also confirmed by several other aides in both parties, is a signal that congressional leaders are indeed trying to build support for a broader plan that would pair some kind of legislation to deal with dreamers — the common term for DACA recipients — with a plan to expand security along the U.S.-Mexico border.

If these individuals are allowed to stay would that anger Sessions enough to resign? He seemed so very pleased to be getting rid of these folks.

Ri'Orius

They will get this fixes. It's a no win for the Republicans. Better to get it done fast and move on.

Nah, this is win-win for the Republicans. Either they get to pass a bunch of wall-building nonsense along with the dreamer protections, or they get to kick out a bunch of nonwhites while blaming it on Democrat obstruction.

All that remains to be seen is how much they're going to demand while they hold these kids' futures hostage.

This got buried while we all argued about Pelosi not signing Bernies bill. Shame ... she needs to kick their ass and make DACA happen

This is good. It was clearly something both sides wanted to work on, and I'm glad they are able to work together, for once.

Apt101

Unless tax cuts for the rich are involved I don't see Ryan doing shit. But it would be tremendous if he does something, because forcing DACA's out of their country would be one of the worst things the USA has done in decades.

Unless tax cuts for the rich are involved I don't see Ryan doing shit. But it would be tremendous if he does something, because forcing DACA's out of their country would be one of the worst things the USA has done in decades.

It will be non wall border funding that's the exchange. Book it.

I'm inclined to agree. The Republican leadership know the wall is a stupid idea and they don't seem terribly interested in handing Trump a win right now.

It's also something the Dems have included as a compromise in all of their imigratiom reform bills. The GOP isn't exactly thrilled the DACA shit was tossed their way from Trump either. The majority of the nation supports DACA and probably non wall border funding too. It's wins all over unless you're Jeff Sessions

I hope it's not another DACA though. There needs to be a path to citizenship and permanent residency or else another politician will threaten their presence in the United States.

It will be non wall border funding that's the exchange. Book it.

This is something they have agreed on before specifically when W got funding to modernize border protection and get more border agents I can see the GOP spinning it to look like it's wall funding to trick Trump ego.

After the division during the past few administrations I'm ready for people to see reason and work on some true bipartisanship

Beartruck

At this point, they can have their shitty wall if it means the lives of 700,000 people are protected. Needs of the many.

What about naturalization/citizenship for dreamers though?

Can't we just make them official at this point?

Whats the barrier

At this point, they can have their shitty wall if it means the lives of 700,000 people are protected. Needs of the many.

They don't give a fuck about a wall they want tax reform specifically tax giveaways for their rich donors and they can't get the votes on it with their crazy freedom caucus. The GOP is going to play the liberal heart strings of the Dems to get what they want.

Agentnibs

Just seems like a no brainer for Democrats. I think Republicans are giving up more if the only ask is stupid wall.
The wall is an expensive and useless promise they can't get away from, but ultimately its not like a wall is really going to hurt anyone but the governments wallet.
I mean we already have a wall in some places and other high Tech border security. Like who cares if they want to have more, especially if it means dreamers are helped.

Losing 800K workers at minimum would fuck up plenty of businesses. Republicans don't want DACA eliminated, they just want to continue to attempt to give Obama black eyes.

Sylas

They already were protected before. Now we have to build the dumbest campaign promise of all time?
I feel like it's a bit late to double down on this line of thinking. They aren't protected anymore and while it'll potentially (will) play into Republican hands, the important thing is getting that protection back, at the very minimum. It doesn't mean Dems should capitulate but it is going to mean some shitty decisions for people that would rather not be in the position to make them.

BasicMath

Hopefully it's a clean bill that's more or less the same. I dont want Dems or Reps adding stuff to it. I doubt that'll happen though. It's still good to see both parties working together to get it passed though.

Also, part of me wants to see DACA EO go to court so that it can be ruled unconstitutional. This really shouldn't happen again.

I can't recall dreamers having any special path to citizenship.

It's through marriage like all the other immigrants IIRC.
The DREAM Act is legislation that's never been enacted, it includes a path to citizenship.

DACA was executive action designed to protect "dreamers" (the people who would have been eligible for said path) from simply being deported, but it's not a full replacement.

Tagyhag

The DREAM Act is legislation that's never been enacted, it includes a path to citizenship.

DACA was executive action designed to protect "dreamers" (the people who would have been eligible for said path) from simply being deported, but it's not a full replacement.

Ahhhh gotcha. Yeah I'd love to see the entire thing pass in full but it's going to be a shitshow of compromises I bet.

The wall isn't being funded as it is a non-starter for most Democrats and it was never agreed to be part of any deal either. Border security means anything from more money to the existing barrier to a few thousand more agents. Increasing border security is non-controversial to many Congressional Democrats. Ryan is trying to get something out of a bad deal to look like they got something.

Top Bottom