• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: The Senate voted against the GOP bill to make sweeping changes to ACA

I can understand not knowing how this stuff works if you're not an American, but it's a pretty stunning indictment of civics if you can't follow what's going on, at a basic level, and you're a citizen of this nation.

Fuck off.

I TEACH this stuff for a living as an AP United States Government and Politics teacher, and it isn't simple and people have every right to be confused.

mstevens

So which of these dozens of things they're apparently voting on this week should we mostly be concerned about? Is there one that only needs 50 votes that may pass?

So which of these dozens of things they're apparently voting on this week should we mostly be concerned about? Is there one that only needs 50 votes that may pass?

Skinny Repeal basically. I can't wait to see them try to sell that as a big win. It's going to be something.

Thanks both. I've really been doing my best at trying to follow this whole thing since the start, but I was at a loss on all that's happening with this right now.

It would be pretty great if this got kicked back to square 1 in the House. Would give much needed temporarily relief from people worrying about getting kicked off their healthcare. v___v

Yeah, it's pretty hard to keep up with. I have to keep giving myself rundowns on how it works because I keep forgetting shit. It's complex.

Trump campaigned on repealing "Obamacare" and replacing it with something better. That's clearly not happening so I hope when the Republicans decimate the ACA instead causing it to collapse their base holds them responsible.

Oh who am I kidding, they're going to blame Obama aren't they?

Speely

Banned
Trump campaigned on repealing "Obamacare" and replacing it with something better. That's clearly not happening so I hope when the Republicans decimate the ACA instead causing it to collapse their base holds them responsible.

Oh who am I kidding, they're going to blame Obama aren't they?

All the way to the end, yes.

ctothej

Maybe not, but I couldn't see Paul and Lee voting for it.

I know that's what they've said before (particularly Paul). I'm worried that the more conservative members will flip anyway. If you're one of the very few Republican senators preventing the repeal of Obamacare, you're gonna risk branding yourself as the Joe Lieberman of the GOP, even if the actual bill has lukewarm reception among conservatives. I can see Collins and Murkowski being okay with that. The others, not so much. Hopefully I'm wrong and Paul & co stick to their word!

McCain, bruh.....

Facepalm_700x526.gif

Fuck off.

I TEACH this stuff for a living as an AP United States Government and Politics teacher, and it isn't simple and people have every right to be confused.

Maybe instead of telling people to fuck off, you can explain why anyone has an excuse to come in here with comments like "wait, I thought they already voted earlier and it passed" when the OP of that thread itself explained exactly what was going on. Not just the OP either, plenty of people throughout the thread explained what a motion to proceed was. There's no excuse for refusing to read a couple lines of text.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just want to say FUCK JOHN MCCAIN.

Can we finally be done touting this guy as a "Maverick" I consider him to be as big of a lying through his teeth hypocrite as Trump. The guy constantly talks big shit then folds like a lawn chair.

Fuck him.

Maybe instead of telling people to fuck off, you can explain why anyone has an excuse to come in here with comments like "wait, I thought they already voted earlier and it passed" when the OP of that thread itself explained exactly what was going on. Not just the OP either, plenty of people throughout the thread explained what a motion to proceed was. There's no excuse for refusing to read a couple lines of text.

I mean, earlier in the day, Senators were confused on what's going on. This is not a clear process, things are being done at a rapid pace, and not a lot of information is being shared about it.

It is perfectly normal to be confused given those circumstances. And to be honest, the OP doesn't exactly clearly lay out the process. More than a "couple sentences" are needed here.

Parliamentary procedure is complicated and arcane. Especially at the government level. If you don't study it or work within it on a regular basis, shit is confusing.

Meowster

No offense but where did this myth of McCain being some maverick come from? Is it just a lie or from some obscure thing he did in the late 80s/early 90s?

I mean, earlier in the day, Senators were confused on what's going on. This is not a clear process, things are being done at a rapid pace, and not a lot of information is being shared about it.

It is perfectly normal to be confused given those circumstances. And to be honest, the OP doesn't exactly clearly lay out the process. More than a "couple sentences" are needed here.

Parliamentary procedure is complicated and arcane. Especially at the government level. If you don't study it or work within it on a regular basis, shit is confusing.

UqmB9rT.png

This was one of the first images you see in the previous thread.

I just wanted to apologize to GAF for defending McCain in the "McCain's got a tumor" thread. I'm completely shocked that he voted for this, and there's really no defending him at this point. He has no political future, voting on a bill that had really no chance of passing, after just having a clot removed THANKS TO HEALTHCARE, and he voted to shit on the people. Just terrible.

...how 'bout that Lindsey Graham though! Gotta find a new anti-hero for the media.

Shauni

No offense but where did this myth of McCain being some maverick come from? Is it just a lie or from some obscure thing he did in the late 80s/early 90s?

Basically a lie really that he perpetrated to set himself apart from the farther right of the party at the time.

Already defeated.

WASHINGTON — With Vice President Mike Pence casting a tie-breaking vote, Republicans moved forward on health care reform Tuesday as the Senate successfully opening debate on the issue. But just six hours later, Republicans faced their first defeat in that process, failing to pass a measure that they've been working on that would have partially repealed and replaced Obamacare.

The vote earlier in the day was a major victory for Republicans, who have struggled to find 50 votes to get this far, but the final product is likely to fall far short of the Republicans' seven-year promise to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. It took the likelihood of a slimmed-down final bill in order to get enough "yes" votes to just open debate.

President Donald Trump celebrated the Senate's vote Tuesday night in Youngstown, Ohio, saying at a rally that America is now "one step closer to liberating our citizens from this Obamacare nightmare."

"Finally," he said to a crowd of thousands of supporters at the campaign-style event. "You think that's easy? That's not easy."

UqmB9rT.png

This was one of the first images you see in the previous thread.

So what? It still isn't that clear. Step 2 says 20 hours of debate. MTP already happened. Yet another vote just occurred without that box being checked.

Was it an amendment? Which amendment? Was it procedural (as stated on the very short CSPAN description)? Was it something else?

What is next specifically? What amendment is being debated? What does it mean? How long will this process go on overall? What needs 50 votes? What needs 60? What are the points of order? Etc, etc.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.

People only listen to him talk and never look at his voting record.

So what? It still isn't that clear. Step 2 says 20 hours of debate. MTP already happened. Yet another vote just occurred without that box being checked.

Was it an amendment? Which amendment? Was it procedural (as stated on the very short CSPAN description)? Was it something else?

What is next specifically? What amendment is being debated? What does it mean? How long will this process go on overall? What needs 50 votes? What needs 60? What are the points of order? Etc, etc.

What does any of that have to do with a comment that says "wait, I thought they already voted and it passed?"

I just wanted to apologize to GAF for defending McCain in the "McCain's got a tumor" thread. I'm completely shocked that he voted for this, and there's really no defending him at this point. He has no political future, voting on a bill that had really no chance of passing, after just having a clot removed THANKS TO HEALTHCARE, and he voted to shit on the people. Just terrible.

...how 'bout that Lindsey Graham though! Gotta find a new anti-hero for the media.

Not only all of that, he literally said today he would not vote for BCRA as is. Which he did.

How about you take your pent up frustrations out on the GOP instead of posters trying to make sense of the situation?

The few lines of "explanation" in the OP do a garbage job of explaining what this vote is and why it it different than the other votes we have been hearing about in recent days.

What does any of that have to do with a comment that says "wait, I thought they already voted and it passed?"

I know you get off on being extremely obtuse, but the poster was clearly confused over the general process. So instead of berating them, it would be more helpful to have more than a Twitter image and a sentence or two and clearly laying out the overall process.

That image doesn't clearly explain everything. And it's arguably wrong given another vote happened on an amendment yet the debate part is not checked. Should be more clear saying debate is ongoing and during that, amendments can happen.

I know you get off on being extremely obtuse, but the poster was clearly confused over the general process. So instead of berating them, it would be more helpful to have more than a Twitter image and a sentence or two in the OP clearly laying out the overall process.

That image doesn't clearly explain everything. And it's arguably wrong given another vote happened on an amendment yet the debate part is not checked. Should be more clear saying debate is ongoing and during that, amendments can happen.

Again, as long as you UNDERSTAND the SIMPLEST of explanations about what the MTP was, how can you make a comment like that? You're making excuses for something that displays zero effort to understand what the first vote even was.

Beartruck

So I guess I'm confused. The only option left now is repeal and not replace?

For a 50 vote, pretty much their only option is the "skinny repeal", which kills the individual mandate. Keeping the ACA while gutting the mandate will send the ACA, and the entire insurance industry, into a death spiral. "Only" 15 million people would lose insurance though, which I guess is an improvement as long as you forget that 1/6 of the economy would be destroyed, plunging us into a new recession.

Also, they call McCain a maverick because until 2008 he was. After he failed in the 2008 election it felt like his balls were cut off.

Kusagari

The same place that Portman, Capito, etc being "moderates" came from.

The media refuses to recognize all Republicans as shit heads so they crown the asses of anyone that dares to say anything remotely against the party line at all.

The same place that Portman, Capito, etc being "moderates" came from.

The media refuses to recognize all Republicans as shit heads so they crown the asses of anyone that dares to say anything remotely against the party line at all.

You ain't neva lied.

Somehow Collins and Murkowski have managed to make themselves the Moderate Queens, though. The other moderates just attend their court.

Chindogg

It's sad that the McCain of finance reform and removing money from politics in the late 90s became such a fucking party parasite.

What ever happened to his integrity?

He spearheaded the push for removing money from politics in the late 90s, especially dark money. He was mostly a "maverick" by basically cussing people out in the Senate and not giving a shit about decorum. He famously called Ted Kennedy a shithead while in session.

Foffy

Banned
It's sad that the McCain of finance reform and removing money from politics in the late 90s became such a fucking party parasite.

What ever happened to his integrity?

Cancer ate it out of his brain...?

This could be possible. Reagan suffered from a decaying brain too..

For a 50 vote, pretty much their only option is the "skinny repeal", which kills the individual mandate. Keeping the ACA while gutting the mandate will send the ACA, and the entire insurance industry, into a death spiral. "Only" 15 million people would lose insurance though, which I guess is an improvement as long as you forget that 1/6 of the economy would be destroyed, plunging us into a new recession.

Also, they call McCain a maverick because until 2008 he was. After he failed in the 2008 election it felt like his balls were cut off.
It's 15 million over 10 years. The other plans were up to 25 million in only 4 years, so it's something, I guess.

Top Bottom