• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: The Senate voted against the GOP bill to make sweeping changes to ACA

Again, as long as you UNDERSTAND the SIMPLEST of explanations about what the MTP was, how can you make a comment like that? You're making excuses for something that displays zero effort to understand what the first vote even was.

Jesus. You would think that the poster touched you inappropriately for the absolutely absurd and overblown reaction you are having. Who pissed in your cheerios this morning?

Again, as long as you UNDERSTAND the SIMPLEST of explanations about what the MTP was, how can you make a comment like that? You're making excuses for something that displays zero effort to understand what the first vote even was.

What explanation? There is no explanation here about MTP in the OP at least. Beyond that, again, parliamentary procedures and rules are just not well known in general. And for the vast majority of people, they never encounter them. And in general, if you're not part of the body, they're not even that important to know.

People will hear "some vote passed" and think it was the actual vote. Add in the general confusion. The speed of this process. The lack of knowledge on what's even being proposed at a given time, and you will get that level of confusion.

Steel

Banned
Maybe not, but I couldn't see Paul and Lee voting for it.

I think the opposite. Paul might see it as the first step to taking down the whole thing while Murko and Collins are all in on stopping the train because it'd blow up in their faces in a few years if they voted for it. Throw in Heller who only voted for the motion to proceed so that Trump won't try to undermine his upcoming senate race and it's dead.

Granted, the might on Paul I still find extremely unlikely. He loves voting no.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
It's sad that the McCain of finance reform and removing money from politics in the late 90s became such a fucking party parasite.

What ever happened to his integrity?

He spearheaded the push for removing money from politics in the late 90s, especially dark money. He was mostly a "maverick" by basically cussing people out in the Senate and not giving a shit about decorum. He famously called Ted Kennedy a shithead while in session.

Ironically a lot of that battle was against Mitch McConnell as well. I think it was Mitch that helped to defeat McCain's finance reform bill. I need to look it up though as I may be misremembering.

FStubbs

Trump campaigned on repealing "Obamacare" and replacing it with something better. That's clearly not happening so I hope when the Republicans decimate the ACA instead causing it to collapse their base holds them responsible.

Oh who am I kidding, they're going to blame Obama aren't they?

Yeah, they'll work toward sabotaging it and then saying it was broken all along.

JettDash

According to the CBO, people losing insurance due to the repeal of the individual mandate would be mostly voluntary. 7 million of them would be from Medicaid and that's completely free.

According to the CBO, people losing insurance due to the repeal of the individual mandate would be mostly voluntary. 7 million of them would be from Medicaid and that's completely free.

I mean, it would also only worsen the current problems with Obamacare by causing premiums to get even higher

WedgeX

Banned

"Voluntary" is a loose term. It includes mostly people with low risk aversion who, while they may perceive themselves as healthy or being able to afford going without insurance now, will end up sick down the road anyways. Or exactly what happened prior to the ACA. We can see the impact of the ACA on the financial consequences of medical emergencies through the sheer amount of medical bankruptcies that existed prior to the ACA and how they decreased following enactment of the ACA.

how pissed is mccain that he took that dangerous trip just to get fucked

what a LOSER

There are more votes coming. And the "skinny" repeal option, which basically just removes the individual mandate probably has a solid shot of passing.

But yes, he did lie through his teeth on this vote by voting yes on the BCRA as is.

Mrbob

Whelp it looks like the full on attack on McCain seems justified now.

Now onto more rounds of voting fuckery. Wonder if Republicans will end up voting on doing nothing and somehow claim it to be a victory.

Yeah, true. Though 20% higher premiums doesn't even mean that's what people would pay as most people get subsidies.

If they qualify. This premium raise affects employer sponsored coverage too. So good chance that increase is passed on to people who might not qualify for a subsidy. I know I wouldn't.

UberTag

So I guess I'm confused. The only option left now is repeal and not replace?
Nope. Skinny repeal comes after. If that passes it'll kill the individual mandate and virtually cripple the ACA and the insurance market.
They're voting on full repeal first to see if they can get Paul and Lee on board the skinny train by humoring their full repeal gambit first.

Nope. Skinny repeal comes after. If that passes it'll kill the individual mandate and virtually cripple the ACA and the insurance market.
They're voting on full repeal first to see if they can get Paul and Lee on board the skinny train by humoring their full repeal gambit first.

Hm how likely is this to pass? There's been too many rollercoasters lately...

So I'm confused. This was their bill that they were going to vote to pass into law later on, but ended up holding a sudden vote on? How come? Trying to ride the momentum from eqrlier today when they were able to bring it to the floor?

JettDash

[
"Voluntary" is a loose term. It includes mostly people with low risk aversion who, while they may perceive themselves as healthy or being able to afford going without insurance now, will end up sick down the road anyways. Or exactly what happened prior to the ACA. We can see the impact of the ACA on the financial consequences of medical emergencies through the sheer amount of medical bankruptcies that existed prior to the ACA and how they decreased following enactment of the ACA.

I would not exactly be crying for people who screw themselves. Also, they could buy insurance or sign up for Medicaid after they get sick.

If they qualify. This premium raise affects employer sponsored coverage too. So good chance that increase is passed on to people who might not qualify for a subsidy. I know I wouldn't.

Most people who buy marketplace plans qualify for subsidies. And the CBO specifically says it is non group policies that would go up by 20%.

WedgeX

Banned
I would not exactly be crying for people who screw themselves. Also, they could buy insurance or sign up for Medicaid after they get sick.

Their actions cause insurance premiums to rise for everyone, as all insurance relies on people paying into the system when they are not drawing benefits in order to pay for those services. Exactly what was happening before the ACA.

Its a huge economic externality.

This is only happening so a President who will resign in disgrace in a couple of months can get an ego-boosting "win."

Shit's fucked yo.

Most people who buy marketplace plans qualify for subsidies. And the CBO specifically says it is non group policies that would go up by 20%.

Ah, you're right. I was mistaken. I took "nongroup" as those plans not "grouped" into the marketplace - meaning employer coverage.

So yeah, the least evil option given everything. I wonder how costs go down (and passes reconciliation) if less people pay into it, the ones that do consume more funds because they need it, and they also need more assistance for premiums.

But in general looks like a throwback to pre-ACA where people skimp on or deny coverage, something unexpected happens, and now they're screwed even more than before.

JettDash

Their actions cause insurance premiums to rise for everyone, as all insurance relies on people paying into the system when they are not drawing benefits in order to pay for those services. Exactly what was happening before the ACA.

Its a huge economic externality.

Presumably the CBO accounted for this.

Ah, you're right. I was mistaken. I took "nongroup" as those plans not "grouped" into the marketplace - meaning employer coverage.

So yeah, the least evil option given everything. I wonder how costs go down (and passes reconciliation) if less people pay into it, the ones that do consume more funds because they need it, and they also need more assistance for premiums.

But in general looks like a throwback to pre-ACA where people skimp on or deny coverage, something unexpected happens, and now they're screwed even more than before.

Most of the savings will be from people choosing not to sign up for Medicaid.

Already defeated.

WASHINGTON — With Vice President Mike Pence casting a tie-breaking vote, Republicans moved forward on health care reform Tuesday as the Senate successfully opening debate on the issue. But just six hours later, Republicans faced their first defeat in that process, failing to pass a measure that they've been working on that would have partially repealed and replaced Obamacare.

The vote earlier in the day was a major victory for Republicans, who have struggled to find 50 votes to get this far, but the final product is likely to fall far short of the Republicans' seven-year promise to get rid of the Affordable Care Act. It took the likelihood of a slimmed-down final bill in order to get enough "yes" votes to just open debate.

President Donald Trump celebrated the Senate's vote Tuesday night in Youngstown, Ohio, saying at a rally that America is now "one step closer to liberating our citizens from this Obamacare nightmare."

"Finally," he said to a crowd of thousands of supporters at the campaign-style event. "You think that's easy? That's not easy."

Yes Trump, please free the people from the burden of having health care.

I'm really starting to think that maybe the Russians showed Donald nude pix of Obama and triggered the fuck out of him.

Balphon

The parliamentarian had essentially already killed BCRA in its existing form.

I doubt any of these intervening votes are expected to be successful. They'll vote on this and on straight repeal and maybe the House bill and a few other things so that....they can say they did, I guess.

If McConnell has anything he thinks can pass (be it "skinny repeal" or whatever new harebrained idea supplants that) it will be offered for a vote at the end of the full debate.

shiba5

Yes Trump, please free the people from the burden of having health care.

I'm really starting to think that maybe the Russians showed Donald nude pix of Obama and triggered the fuck out of him.

I notice he stopped talking about how much better his replacement plan would be, his "beautiful healthcare". So obvious how it was never about helping people and just about demolishing Obama's legacy. Who cares if people die as long as he gets vengeance?

I notice he stopped talking about how much better his replacement plan would be, his "beautiful healthcare". So obvious how it was never about helping people and just about demolishing Obama's legacy. Who cares if people die as long as he gets vengeance?

He's delusional. Obama is gone and his legacy was cemented the moment he left office. He established that health care is not a privilege but a right and nothing that tiny hands can do will change that. All he's doing is cementing his own legacy as being the most unprepared person to ever lead a first world nation.

Dude Abides

Banned
It's sad that the McCain of finance reform and removing money from politics in the late 90s became such a fucking party parasite.

What ever happened to his integrity?

He spearheaded the push for removing money from politics in the late 90s, especially dark money. He was mostly a "maverick" by basically cussing people out in the Senate and not giving a shit about decorum. He famously called Ted Kennedy a shithead while in session.

Just to be clear, McCain's sudden interest in campaign finance was a cynical move to cleanse his reputation from being one of the Keating Five (80s kids will remember!).

Then in the 00s he made some mavericky noises driven by personal dislike for W, who had defeated him in the GOP primary. That all went away after 9-11 when the GOP devoted itself to bombing and shooting people abroad, which McCain always loved.

When it came down to it he always put himself first, then party. The maverick reputation is completely unearned.

What in the fuck is a "skinny repeal"? It seems like every day there's a new amendment or new idea Republicans are trying to pass. I can't keep up with all this shit!

Steel

Banned
What in the fuck is a "skinny repeal"? It seems like every day there's a new amendment or new idea Republicans are trying to pass. I can't keep up with all this shit!

It can be summed up in one sentence. Get rid of the individual mandate and the taxes on medical devices. That's it. Basically a "we did something" bill that will basically cause the ACA to collapse.

It's too mean for him so I can see why he stopped.

Just to be clear, McCain's sudden interest in campaign finance was a cynical move to cleanse his reputation from being one of the Keating Five (80s kids will remember!).

Then in the 00s he made some mavericky noises driven by personal dislike for W, who had defeated him in the GOP primary. That all went away after 9-11 when the GOP devoted itself to bombing and shooting people abroad, which McCain always loved.

When it came down to it he always put himself first, then party. The maverick reputation is completely unearned.

John McCain's maverick title is one of the great American lies. Even his status as a war hero is in doubt considering how much he was hated on the field for being so reckless.

Xe4

Banned
Where is the GAF concern police? No lectures today?

It's one thing to not like McCain, or to think he's not a good individual, and condemn him (even strongly) for this vote and others. It's another to wish him to drop dead whilst he's one his death bead or on his way to the vote.
If you can't see the difference, I feel sorry for you. If you can and are being deliberately obtuse these two threads I wish you'd stop.

LordCanti

The skinny repeal option has me as scared as anything. There are a couple insurers still offering insurance in the area but if they pass that stupidity I worry that the number would go to zero and I'd be completely screwed. The ACA was always going to collapse without action but speeding that up so that it won't even last until the next election is a nightmare.

digdug2k

It can be summed up in one sentence. Get rid of the individual mandate and the taxes on medical devices. That's it. Basically a "we did something" bill that will basically cause the ACA to collapse.
The good news about repealing the mandate is, you can just drop your insurance and just pick some up in the lobby of the hospital whenever you need it. See? The system works!

Top Bottom