• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump boasts about his philanthropy. But his giving falls short of his words.

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Ryo_

When a presidential nominee for a specific party has no morals, neither will their supporters
-
Otherwise they would not be the presidential nominee for that party.

Which means Trump, nor his supporters have any morals, ergo they will not care about news of his immorality.

Garlador

When a presidential nominee for a specific party has no morals, neither will their supporters
-
Otherwise they would not be the presidential nominee for that party.

Which means Trump, nor his supporters have any morals, ergo they will not care about news of his immorality.
... This is actually quite profound.

We have a moral compass thus we're appalled by his behavior. His supports IDENTIFY with his ignorance and bigotry. That's WHY they support him.

... I just never realized those people compose 30% or more of the nation...

I am struggling to put together a reply. Are we sure that Donald Trump isn't some kind of mass hallucination? He's like a cartoon character come to life.

The below copypasta could stand shoulder-to-shoulder with these stories and it wouldn't stand out in the slightest.

I saw Donald Trump at a grocery store in Los Angeles yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything.

He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?”

I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.

The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter.

When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

... This is actually quite profound.

We have a moral compass thus we're appalled by his behavior. His supports IDENTIFY with his ignorance and bigotry. That's WHY they support him.

... I just never realized those people compose 30% or more of the nation...

The psychological literature refers to the concept of moral centrality, which captures the extent to which moral values are integral to a person's self-concept. In other words, we have to remember that morality is an option for people's identity, not a necessity.

At the same time, we also know that you can, to a decent degree, prime (i.e., activate, make salient) people's moral centrality. So for some people, it may not be that they are totally without morality as a compass, but that they follow a person who does not activate their moral interests. Under a more moral leader, such people might be swayed to exhibit better values.

Trump, of course, is not that leader. Hence the situation we find ourselves in today. A group of people with weak moral centrality, on top of a lack of moral salience for people whose morality is... flexible.

I, I don't know at what level of smugness and masturbatory self-satisfaction this kind fuckery suddenly becomes routine behaviour, to the point of being a tick, I really have no idea how somehow, an actual human was given birth, then it turned to this. There's no shred of good in him, there's no semblance of any moral compass. He's literally reduced himself to a series of random impulses, feeding the reptilian core that is the sole survivor in his skull, of his endless indulgence in self-importance.

A manbaby who only does things to stroke his own ego

This dude discovered that a charity for sick kids was meeting and the first thing to come to his mind was to drop whatever he was planning, bust in, "grace" those poor kids with his presence, then bounce without giving them a penny. That's a level of narcissism I never thought was even possible before this election.

The US presidential candidate with 44% of the popular vote.
Yup. And in addition to that, a thread like this with excellent journalism that documents all types of fucked up behavior barely even cracks multiple pages, whereas another thread about e-mails that turned out to be nothing completely exploded and is still going strong (granted, it's more about random nonsense at this point, but still). I don't know what exactly that says about people's priorities and the type of things we care about and those we don't, but it ain't anything good. =/

God, I can't wait for this election to be over already and for this man to fade into irrelevance.

_Ryo_

This dude discovered that a charity for sick kids was meeting and the first thing to come to his mind was to drop whatever he was planning, bust in, "grace" those poor kids with his presence, then bounce without giving them a penny. That's a level of narcissism I never thought was even possible before this election.

He didn't do it so the kids would be graced by his presence, it's actually somehow much worse than that.

He did it so people would talk about him being there with the assumption that he gave to the charity. Imagine you're at a charity dinner and in walks Tony Stark, everyone would assume Tony donated some big bucks, I mean, why else would he be there? And that's exactly what Trump wants people to think about him.

It's a calculated, evil, preplanned action.

Yup. And in addition to that, a thread like this with excellent journalism that documents all types of fucked up behavior barely even cracks multiple pages, whereas another thread about e-mails that turned out to be nothing completely exploded and is still going strong (granted, it's more about random nonsense at this point, but still). I don't know what exactly that says about people's priorities and the type of things we care about and those we don't, but it ain't anything good. =/

God, I can't wait for this election to be over already and for this man to fade into irrelevance.

And this is what irks me more than anything. Schmucks on neogaf care more about useless bullshit with emails that are pretty much nothing and will continue to say that there might be something for 60 pages. Then we have thread after thread after thread of shit about Donald that's not only horrific, disgusting and disrespectful to everyone involved, but like you said, well documented and with many sources. And yet they barely goes past 10 pages. And those threads about Donald are important because, and say it with me everyone. HES RUNNING FOR FUCKING PRESIDENT!!! But no, let's worry about goddamn emails for the 100th DAMN TIME!!!.

I'm with you on being happy this election is nearly over so we can move on from this shit.

I don't know if I can call him at least a person anymore, Did his father raise him the way Saddam raised his sons???? I mean without the rape and murder. I don't understand how a human can come to this conclusion.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister

To be fair, it is because this is such excellent journalism that there is basically nothing to discuss except from agreeing with each other that Trump is a crazed narcissistic schmuck. There's just no room for nuance, for different interpretations, for pretending someone else is to blame.

Same with the tax returns. If we had a 100-page thread saying Trump should release his tax returns to be considered for President it would be completely filled with posts saying "yup" with the occasional "oops wrong thread".

Binabik15

To be fair, it is because this is such excellent journalism that there is basically nothing to discuss except from agreeing with each other that Trump is a crazed narcissistic schmuck. There's just no room for nuance, for different interpretations, for pretending someone else is to blame.

Same with the tax returns. If we had a 100-page thread saying Trump should release his tax returns to be considered for President it would be completely filled with posts saying "yup" with the occasional "oops wrong thread".

So Trump is too (much of a) dick to fail?

Seems true for a Gaf discussion, but sadly the media and the "undecided" voters seem to treat it that way as well. Every outlet should shout about this from the rooftops.

phisheep

NeoGAF's Chief Barrister
Seems true for a Gaf discussion, but sadly the media and the "undecided" voters seem to treat it that way as well. Every outlet should shout about this from the rooftops.

It was the GAF discussions I was thinking about. Not being in the US I can't really see how much media traction it is getting.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
To this day I find it astonishing that his base can simply pick and choose words from his sentences and create a narrative for themselves.

He will contradict the narrative immediately and they can ignore it even when it's played back for them verbatim.
His base is now just dumb racists and alt right trolls.

Plenty of people will vote for him secretly either for naked party line or because they're secretly racist.

Gaf Trump supporters stopped admitting it because they have no rational argument for. So all we get now is concern trolls or junior and alt accounts and even they tend to go anti Hillary rather than pro Trump.

The only coherent and consistent platform he's projected is racism and Russian appeasement. Everything else he's held multiple contradictory positions on.

I

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2016/07/25/donald-trumps-ghostwriter-tells-all

This article is fascinating, I'd never read it. Trump is insane. The guy who followed him around to write Art of the Deal reckons if he gets his hands on the nuclear codes we're toast. Ugh.

This paragraph is amazing, you genuinely couldn't make it up.

Schwartz got more of an education the next day, when he and Trump spoke on the phone. After chatting briefly about the party, Trump informed Schwartz that, as his ghostwriter, he owed him for half the event’s cost, which was in the six figures. Schwartz was dumbfounded. “He wanted me to split the cost of entertaining his list of nine hundred second-rate celebrities?” Schwartz had, in fact, learned a few things from watching Trump. He drastically negotiated down the amount that he agreed to pay, to a few thousand dollars, and then wrote Trump a letter promising to write a check not to Trump but to a charity of Schwartz’s choosing. It was a page out of Trump’s playbook. In the past seven years, Trump has promised to give millions of dollars to charity, but reporters for the Washington Post found that they could document only ten thousand dollars in donations—and they uncovered no direct evidence that Trump made charitable contributions from money earned by “The Art of the Deal.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom