• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo: Trump challenges senators to resurrect Obamacare repeal effort: ‘We’re close'

With 50 votes I think the repeal will pass. Putting it back on the table like this makes me nervous.

giphy.gif

Exile20

Full repeal 1) is already off the table 2) lol no, the whole reason for the replace is because a straight repeal is suicide for like half the GOP Senate Caucus.

That is not what I am hearing on CNN now. Trump is fine with either. He said we can repeal it but it is better to repeal and replace.

Shadybiz

That is not what I am hearing on CNN now. Trump is fine with either. He said we can repeal it but it is better to repeal and replace.

I can't say for sure what's going to happen. What I CAN say is...don't go by anything Trump actually says. He should own a Waffle House.

chekhonte

If this they actually manage to get a bill passed I hope to hell that the press starts calling it the new Obama Care and not Trump Care.

RPGCrazied

I like how he attacked Alaska, the senator there voted no on all the bills. Yeah, that is really going to want to work with you. /s

That speech was nothing but a disaster. Its clear he has not read the bill and doesn't plan to. All he wants to do is blame Obama and Democrats and throw red meat to his 36%.

They can't actually do a full repeal with just 50 votes, IIRC. They'd need some Dems to go along with it. There are parts they could repeal with 50, but not the entire thing.

chekhonte

Also they definitely aren't going to keep 50 senators over the august recess so we probably won't see them even muster an effort this year. they haven't even passed a budget yet have they?

Republicans should pass a bill that consists of the sentence: "healthcare is better and America is great." Then Trump can retire and the world can breathe again.

It's crazy that anyone, Republicans, Trump, or anyone else, can even pretend that the GOP's recent strategy would produce anything remotely resembling an improvement in healthcare.

Their recent bill's core strategy is to get rid of existing options for affordable, quality healthcare so that the only "affordable" option left is to buy cut-rate insurance plans that offer worse benefits with worse deductibles.

In what world does that improve healthcare for anyone?

Nasbin

Trump is determined to relive this news cycle of GOP failure on healthcare over and over again. Meanwhile, tax reform predicated on ACHA medicaid cuts goes nowhere. I couldn't realistically ask for much more from a Trump presidency.

Steel

Banned
With 50 votes I think the repeal will pass. Putting it back on the table like this makes me nervous.

How're they gonna get to 50 votes? McCain is gone for awhile. Rand Paul will never vote for a replace, and the replace would have to be damn good for Heller to actually vote for it with his seat being tightly contested. A straight repeal is DOA for most of the moderates.

Basically, if two senators disagree with the bill, it's dead.

KingV

Also they definitely aren't going to keep 50 senators over the august recess so we probably won't see them even muster an effort this year. they haven't even passed a budget yet have they?

I think they have to do this before formally beginning budget negotiations.

Reconciliation was intended to expedite reconciling the budgets between the house and senate.

They are sort of bastardizing it's intended purpose here.

StarVigil

Just shows again that the GOP can't get it up without some blues, no matter how long they try. In the end everyone just ends up either unsatisfied or dead.

gaugebozo

Trump, who had invited Republican leaders to a health-care strategy dinner Monday night, was apparently blindsided by the opposition from some conservative members, including Sens. Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Jerry Moran (R-Kan.), whose declared no votes effectively killed the legislation. At lunch, he scolded them.

“The other night, I was surprised when I heard a couple of my friends — my friends — they really were and are,” Trump said, without directly naming the duo. “They might not be very much longer, but that’s okay.”

We're going to see some of that classic Trump vindictiveness!

I don't think any GOP Senators are going to risk 2018 because Trump said so. Repeal without replace is going to literally kill many people.

Saganator

Senate should just copy and paste Obamacare, change the name to Trumpcare and put it on his desk for him to sign. He won't have a clue.

Jenov

"..unless we have a health insurance plan, unless we give our people great health care,"

Fucking liar. He knows the bill would remove millions of peoples health insurance just to give tax breaks to him and his buddies.

PKrockin

What little campaigning Donald does for the repeal and replace efforts rings pretty hollow when you're reminded that he doesn't seem to know or care at all about what the policy actually is or does to Americans as long as he can count it as a "win" for himself personally.

Top Bottom