• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WaPo:Trump suggests Republicans will let ACA market collapse, then rewrite health law

Link here

It's pretty much as fucked up as it sounds

President Trump predicted Tuesday that Republicans would wait for the federal insurance market to collapse and then work to broker a deal to rewrite the nation’s landmark health-care law, while Senate leaders pressed ahead with a plan to repeal the Affordable Care Act with no immediate replacement.

Speaking to reporters in the Roosevelt Room on Tuesday afternoon, Trump said he was “disappointed” in the demise of the Senate bill and viewed the cratering of the nation’s individual insurance market as the best way to advance his goals.

Now his plan is to “let Obamacare fail; it will be a lot easier,” he said. “And I think we’re probably in that position where we’ll just let Obamacare fail.”

“We’re not going to own it. I’m not going to own it,” the president said. “I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it. We’ll let Obamacare fail, and then the Democrats are going to come to us.”

But as disgusting as that is, the scariest part is a quote from Mitch McConnell

After a weekly Senate GOP policy lunch that went longer than usual, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) told reporters there would be a vote on repealing the ACA, with a two-year delay, “some time in the near future.”

He said the health-care push has been “a very, very challenging experience for all of us.” Asked whether he would eventually be open to working with Democrats on something, McConnell said “we’ll have to see what happens” with the repeal-first effort.

So at no point was a bipartisan effort on the table. For him it's a somewhat distant possibility if they can't figure out how to fuck people over in a way that they're able to get votes for. What's wrong with these people?!

Bronx-Man

Banned
If the market collapses.........won't people blame the GOP for having all the power to avoid that and still letting it happen?

I still think it's so hilariously sad that the Republican party controls all 3 branches of government and can't even fucking agree on anything. At the same time, the rest of the population will get fucked over, so yippe kai yay

If the market collapses.........won't people blame the GOP for having all the power to avoid that and still letting it happen?

They'll blame Obama, the Clintons, Jimmy Carter, ISIS..you know, everyone except the folks that lied to them about repealing or building a wall.

Especially since he's just admitted to doing this, instead of using the power that he and the Republicans in Congress have to fix it/stop it from happening. Admitting to intentionally letting things go down the gutter when you have every ability to prevent that from happening and if it does it can squarely be linked back to you as a result is... not a smart play. But that's just another Tuesday for Trump.

No, people will probably believe that it's the Democrats fault because they didn't want to work with the GOP to fix Obamacare to the point that they (democrats) would rather watch it burn than let the GOP fix it.

Even if that makes no sense since the GOP could fix it if they wanted and don't even need the Democrats help. Control of all branches of government is something that Republicans doesn't want to understand.

They believe what they want to believe.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I literally just watched an interview on the news with a white doctor bitching about Obamacare and saying repeal would be better than nothing because Obamacare makes practicing medicine hard. A part of country just doesn't give a fuck.

Shadybiz

"Let's let America suffer then maybe do something about it or whatever later"

That is exactly what this looks like, yes.

But, his supporters will still blame Obama when they lose their insurance...even though he got them the insurance in the first place...and isn't in office anymore. ...???

I literally just watched an interview on the news with a white doctor bitching about Obamacare and saying repeal would be better than nothing because Obamacare makes practicing medicine hard. A part of country just doesn't give a fuck.

The poor rich doctors...wouldn't want them to work too hard now.

"I'm going to let Obamacare fail"

"I'm not going to own this when Obamacare fails"

These are not the workable positions that he's trying to work. You don't admit you're going to let it fail if you want the Dems to own it.

Now his plan is to “let Obamacare fail; it will be a lot easier,” he said. “And I think we’re probably in that position where we’ll just let Obamacare fail.”

“We’re not going to own it. I’m not going to own it,” the president said. “I can tell you the Republicans are not going to own it. We’ll let Obamacare fail, and then the Democrats are going to come to us.”

So, basically, Trump and co. will be playing politics while people die as a result of his inaction, and he will then try to pin it all on the other team.

After 7 years of crying about the ACA and boasts about repealing/replacing it, they take control of both houses of Congress and the White House, and still can't get it done due to a complete lack of leadership and vision within their own party, so the above quote is now the course of action they will pursue.

What a time to be alive. Well, if you have healthcare...

tuffy

If health care gets worse for people under Republicans, people are going to blame the Republicans. It's that simple. The notion that the Democrats are going to come crawling back to help with a fix is an idiotic fantasy.

If health care gets worse for people under Republicans, people are going to blame the Republicans. It's that simple. The notion that the Democrats are going to come crawling back to help with a fix is an idiotic fantasy.

I think you underestimate how thoroughly convinced some people are that anything that goes wrong with healthcare is Obamacare's fault and therefore blame lies with Democrats.

The pettiness of this is without parallel. It boils down to 2 things for Trump and the GOP:

1. Trump cannot allow a black man to show him up.

2. A black man did a white man's job better than any white man.

tuffy

I think you underestimate how thoroughly convinced some people are that anything that goes wrong with healthcare is Obamacare's fault and therefore blame lies with Democrats.
Some in the party will stick with the Republicans even if their policies kill them, sure. But those hardcore won't be enough to save them from the consequences of letting health care collapse. Otherwise they would've gone through with one of the terrible health care bills they've already shot down.

HotHamBoy

These are the two most recent tweets from Trump:

With only a very small majority, the Republicans in the House & Senate need more victories next year since Dems totally obstruct, no votes!

The Senate must go to a 51 vote majority instead of current 60 votes. Even parts of full Repeal need 60. 8 Dems control Senate. Crazy!

gaugebozo

With only a very small majority, the Republicans in the House & Senate need more victories next year since Dems totally obstruct, no votes!

The Senate must go to a 51 vote majority instead of current 60 votes. Even parts of full Repeal need 60. 8 Dems control Senate. Crazy!
What a piece of shit. I really don't have anymore words then that.

Edit: oh I do. You couldn't pass it with 51, dipshit!

JettDash

Trump will be blamed. He's the president. And he's openly saying that he will allow the individual markets to crash..

Even if all the individual markets crash, Democrats are not going to run to Trump and ask if they can help him gut Medicaid.

So "we control it all but Dems won't let us do whatever we want"? Fuck Trump, fuck the GOP, fuck Republican voters. God the gamut for Republicans ranges from too fucking stupid to function (see the other poll with 30%+ not believing any meetings with Jr happened even though he and Trump said they did) to "fuck you I got mine and I want yours." Seriously fucking disgusting.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

That's all very well until these people lose their healthcare then things start getting real toasty for the Republicans.

Have you forgotten the townhalls?

There is absolutely no way they duck responsibility if they let the ACA fail, they picked up the healthcare ball and now own it, they don't get to throw it back, the townhalls proved that, whatever happens now with healthcare over this administration is going to be hung on them, and them alone by the vast majority.

Ac30

Oooh, we gonna kill the filibuster Donny? Dems are going to have fun with that in 2020

So "we control it all but Dems won't let us do whatever we want"? Fuck Trump, fuck the GOP, fuck Republican voters. God the gamut for Republicans ranges from too fucking stupid to function (see the other poll with 30%+ not believing any meetings with Jr happened even though he and Trump said they did) to "fuck you I got mine and I want yours." Seriously fucking disgusting.
It really is.

Top Bottom