• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes |OT| And for the last Twinkie too. [SPOILERS]

Plus her mouth had dried blood on it, which made me think they were hinting at possible abuse.

I actually didn't notice that, the 3D showing we went to (the cinema only had one 2D showing two multiple 3D ones) wasn't great with dark scenes, made it really hard to notice some of the finer details.

I have my reason for going again to see it in 2D though!

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Plus her mouth had dried blood on it, which made me think they were hinting at possible abuse.

Yup, as soon as I saw that, I knew that dude was abusing her. Thought her inability to speak might have had something to do with it at that point, too.

B33

Banned
We don't really know the girl and man's relationship. It's left ambiguous.

I'd have to watch it again, but isn't part of the virus mutation bleeding from the nostrils? Is the blood around her mouth injuries from abuse or a result of the virus?

Either way, he was keeping her isolated in that space and he was still capable of speaking.

I'd have to watch it again, but isn't part of the virus mutation bleeding from the nostrils? Is the blood around her mouth injuries from abuse or a result of the virus?

Either way, he was keeping her isolated in that space and he was still capable of speaking.

Yep, the bleeding from the nostrils was part of the virus mutation. I lean towards the blood around her mouth being a result of the virus rather than abuse myself.

There was a bunch of Filipino dudes behind me who wouldn't shut the fuck up doing colour commentary on every scene and laughing at serious moments that was driving me crazy watching this

Sill an enjoyable movie. Caesar has a had an amazing arc, it was so depressing seeing him and Maurice say goodbye to each other.

Mixed emotions over here. On the one hand I had a super quiet and friendly cinema (almost empty) so I was able to absorb the film comfortably - and on that note actually, I feel for you guys that had to suffer. Choose a quiet time to go whilst children are in school!

As for the mixed emotions - I thought it started off incredibly strongly. The first thirty minutes were just masterful cinema and I loved it. Then I did feel it started to drag once it hit the concentration camp situation, and then only redeemed itself when we hit the third act, the story kicked in to gear and then the emotional ending and Caeser's completion of his arc was just beautiful.

Overall I'd say it's weaker than Dawn, but that still means it's pretty fucking good. I had super high expectations I guess, but I'm satisfied with the end of the trilogy.

Maybe it's just me but "War" kind of indicated to me this would be epic and of much larger scale than it is. Didn't expect a laser focused character drama instead.

Amazing film, just not as great as I had hoped. Still loved it overall however.

Absolutely loved this movie.

There are so many things to say, but just gonna hit on a few points.

-The CG is basically seamless at this point. Rise makes you aware that you're watching CG, punctuated by a few "holy crap, that face looks amazing" moments. Dawn improves drastically on this, but War...damn. You could tell me that these are individual ape actors and not CG and I think 99% of the time I'd believe you.
-Caesar's arc is fantastic, though I'm incredibly sad to see him go.
-LOVE that Rocket got so much time. Rewatched Rise this week and it was a good refresher on his beginnings.
-I have heard complaints that the movie didn't portray much of a war, but I'm okay with that. This film felt more grounded than the prior movies. I love me some dual-wielding M249 apes on horses, but the tone of War was subdued yet still refreshing. I like that the war was more of a backdrop. It fits into Caesar's character and the themes of the series through and through. Caesar going to war would, I think, never have felt right.

I just really didn't want this movie to end. I need to rewatch Dawn, but for now, this is my favorite, and I hold Dawn in a very high regard.

Bit-Bit

I loved how after all that fighting between humans and Apes, and humans against other humans. Mother nature comes in from out of nowhere and reminds everyone that it's nothing compared to her might.

Very fitting and cinematic.

I agree on the others saying it dragged a little in some scenes and the more low-key nature of the plot was a little surprising and maybe off putting at first. It's still a masterpiece though. At the very least as good as Dawn if not better.

Wow, what a great movie and great trilogy! I keep forgetting these movies exist until I see a poster for it around town, yet they are so consistently great!

I was impressed with how much it relied on Giacchino's score, it was almost a silent movie with few spoken lines, relying on the music and acting to carry the emotions. After being disappointed by his Rogue One and Homecoming, I was really happy to hear what he came up with here. I especially enjoyed the theme he pulled out whenever there was any traveling by horse, and the lighthearted music during the escape sequence.

Totally agree on Giacchino's score. I just loved the music, especially the GitS-style jingle bells. It was so simple but added so much to the suspense in the film. Probably his best work to date imo.

I loved how after all that fighting between humans and Apes, and humans against other humans. Mother nature comes in from out of nowhere and reminds everyone that it's nothing compared to her might.

Very fitting and cinematic.

And I love that the apes ended up surviving simply because they can climb trees and we can't. Fucking genius!

I guess I was expecting more War For and less Prisoners of War in this movie. A lot of the escape plan required you to suspend disbelief throughout the entire fortress scenes. Nobody is going to see a little girl wonder into a military base, or baby monkeys climbing across wires or a missing solider when you only have 40 troops or that your pin of 100+ apes is empty, who's on watch that wouldn't notice that? Maybe if you somehow tied to the human disease to allow the lackadaisical monitoring of the apes it would have made sense.

I enjoyed the movie, especially up til the capture of the apes. It's just strange how well they handled the apes storyline compared to the humans. Sure it's a ape-centric story but without a fleshed out antagonist it fell flat for me.

Still disappointed, hopefully it's a movie that will grow on me.

Saw it last night, really enjoyed this movie, it was a beautiful end for Ceasar and Andy Serkis performance was great. Though not a criticism, I expected a different movie, mainly based on the title.

Overal a really good movie and a good trilogy. Dawn of the Apes is probably my favorite. Don't know yet where I'll rank this one.

black070

My immediate reaction was purely disappointment, mainly because I went in expecting a radically different movie. Having slept on it however, I am amazed at how reserved it was for a summer blockbuster - it really is a masterpiece.

Guzim

I saw it this morning, and I liked it a lot. I don't think it reaches the highs of Dawn, but it's still a great movie and one of my favorite trilogies.

Now that I think about it the only thing that actually annoyed me was The Colonel being too similar to Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, and unless I've missed it, I don't think there was anything in the story suggesting it was on purpose(Like David imitating T.E.Lawrence in Prometheus) which could've given his character some more depth.

black070

Now that I think about it the only thing that actually annoyed me was The Colonel being too similar to Kurtz from Apocalypse Now, and unless I've missed it, I don't think there was anything in the story suggesting it was on purpose(Like David imitating T.E.Lawrence in Prometheus) which could've given his character some more depth.

There were multiple shots of that sewer with 'Ape-ocalypse Now' written on the wall which felt laughably on the nose.

Dabanton

The nostrils and coughing up blood, Woody Harrelsons character has blood round his mouth when Caesar goes to kill him and finds him infected.

Jimothy

Fucking loved it, although much like the first two, there's just something missing that holds it back from being truly great. Maybe I just didn't find Caesar's arc that compelling compared to the first two movies? Maybe Woody's character was a little underdeveloped? I dunno, but this is still the best film trilogy since LOTR in terms of sheer scope and ambition, and I'm glad I got to experience them in theaters.

Also, it bugged me that didn't Woody conclude his list of generals with "...and Caesar"

Fucking loved it, although much like the first two, there's just something missing that holds it back from being truly great. Maybe I just didn't find Caesar's arc that compelling compared to the first two movies? Maybe Woody's character was a little underdeveloped? I dunno, but this is still the best film trilogy since LOTR in terms of sheer scope and ambition, and I'm glad I got to experience them in theaters.

Yeah, I posted some lengthy impressions above but this is pretty much how I felt. Enjoyed the hell out of it, and thought it was masterful film-making with the most impressive CGI I've ever seen - but something felt missing - to elevate it to truly great. Can't quite identify what it was, maybe the slow second act? The film not living up to its title or opening sequence? Something felt missing, which is absolutely not how I felt with Dawn which was pretty much the perfect movie.

I have to say, Caeser's happy death at the end on the sun-soaked landscape next to Maurice, that made the emotional journey worth it - and made the film amazing IMO.

Such an emotional, perfect conclusion.

Dyl

Movie was really solid, but not quite as good as Dawn. With that said, the ~15 minute climax of the movie was absolute fire. I just love how Reeves shoots the action scenes. Can't wait for Batman.

Jimothy

Movie was really solid, but not quite as good as Dawn. With that said, the ~15 minute climax of the movie was absolute fire. I just love how Reeves shoots the action scenes. Can't wait for Batman.

I feel like the first action sequence was far superior to the conclusion. The build up is so fucking great, and that slowmo overhead shot? gorgeous

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Just got out.

God I am so glad I watched with the quiet lunchtime crowd because this movie was the perfect kind of nuanced blockbuster film.

I felt like I was watching an old school biblical film in the middle of the afternoon. I just love the direction they chose instead of going full HAM on the action. Not to mention the climax itself being another but grander prison breakout is pretty poetic for Caesar's arc.

That said, I still think Dawn is the superior movie out of the trilogy.

Dyl

I feel like the first action sequence was far superior to the conclusion. The build up is so fucking great, and that slowmo overhead shot? gorgeous

The overhead shot was definitely a highlight, but the conclusion stuck with me more. Maybe I was just excited due to the pacing finally ramping up after such a long second act, but I can't praise that sequence enough.

I didn't watch any trailers leading up to release, but watching them now, this movie truly could not have been shot any better. Hopefully it wins the Oscar for Special Effects, at least.

Really liked it, and co-sign what others said about seeing it with the right crowd in the right environment. It's a very slow and somber movie. Aside from some levity with Bad Ape, just a heavy epic.

My immediate take is preferring Dawn, but Dawn is a top five blockbuster in the recent past movie for me.

Also loved the title presentation at the start.

Oh, and Giacchino's score carries a lot of the movie.

I didn't see the previous two, but I saw this with a friend. It was excellent. The first act and third act are really fantastic. The 2nd act drags for quite a bit though.

Some of the best action too. It's nothing outrageously fancy or over the top or particularly well choreographed like in super hero movies or baby driver. But it was just an amazing example of tension, long build up, and shocking brutal release I've seen in a long time.

I'm not stickler at all for plot holes and conveinences in films. I like to immerse myself in the world and the experience, not to take notes of every fault

I just couldnt fight that urge with this movie however. Maybe because the previous 2 were so amazing that I expected much more.

The writers let me down greatly and I'm sad all the other fucking groundbreaking talent around this trilogy gets such a weak finale to their work.

*I acknowledge public reception has been wide majority positive but will that last? I doubt it

mcfrank

Wow! This was a masterpiece unfortunately ruined by inconsiderate assholes. I sware I'm never going to the cinema again when my Unlimited Card runs out in November. I'll just wait until the blu-ray or digital release to watch a film. I don't know if I'll be able to hold of on Star Wars though.

I had a similar experience with people talking and laughing through the movie (despite me repeatedly asking them to be quiet). I used to go to 50-60 movies a year in theaters, now I go to maybe 10 because it is not worth dealing with the talking and the phones.

Finally saw it today and damn, didn't expect it to surpass Dawn, but War takes the crown in my book.

Also, Caesar's face has always been modeled in a way to resemble Serkis, but due to the improved CGI it was weird how often my brain was just registering Caesar's face as Serkis with some prosthetics on or something. Especially during close-ups the likeness is so uncanny.

Timu

This movie was fantastic, one of the best movies this year and this summer!

This movie was different than I expected, but it worked very well!

Great movie. I still put Dawn a touch ahead, but that's taking nothing away from this great great movie, and gotta say one of the absolute best trilogies in recent years.

Definitely the best visuals/cinematography, and scores of the Reboot trilogy.

Bad Ape was a great decision. Gave some much needed levity to the film, and finally answers the question about smart Apes in the outside world.

Simian flu still very much being a factor was a great twist. Should have seen it coming, but did not. Something I really appreciate about the Reboot Universe, unlike the Original Universe, is that they do a great job of explaining how we get to a Planet of Humans with dumb Apes to a Planet of Apes with dumb Humans. Still, heartbreaking when you think about it that this great little character Nova is probably gonna eventually have the same faith.

Fitting end for the Col. Very poetic.

While the Caser trilogy is obviously over, I felt they left room open for future sequels with certain lines, and suggestions.

Great movie. Though I left a bit disappointed since I expected something different based on the title (Only watched the teaser trailer).

I'll miss you, Caesar. ;_;

Great end to a fantastic trilogy. I thought the Avalanche and escape was one CGI bonanza too much, but the rest was fantastic.
I was expecting a shlock Ape Vs Man war movie and got a great Prison movie instead. Much better.
Andy Serkis needs an Oscar sometime, fucksake.

This may sound like a strange comparison, but talking it over with a friend, I got shades of The Revenant from this. I didn't much care for The Revenant, so I'm reflecting on why I liked this so much more.

Great movie. Though I left a bit disappointed since I expected something different based on the title (Only watched the teaser trailer).

I'll miss you, Caesar. ;_;
Many have said that.

And hell, I would have been thrown for a loop myself if I did not know that myself based on what I heard from online reviews. So, going in, I was mentally prepared, and actually, I felt like we got enough "War" bits. Personally, maybe it's because I was mentally prepared, but I like we got more of a character study with War being the backdrop.

That being said, I can see why they went with the title they did in War. Possible alternatives like "Conflict," or "Intern Camp" would have not worked, either.

Oh, and personally, if I had any complaints about the War aspect it would be the avalanche at the end as it felt like a deus ex machina.

sense

Mixed emotions over here. On the one hand I had a super quiet and friendly cinema (almost empty) so I was able to absorb the film comfortably - and on that note actually, I feel for you guys that had to suffer. Choose a quiet time to go whilst children are in school!

As for the mixed emotions - I thought it started off incredibly strongly. The first thirty minutes were just masterful cinema and I loved it. Then I did feel it started to drag once it hit the concentration camp situation, and then only redeemed itself when we hit the third act, the story kicked in to gear and then the emotional ending and Caeser's completion of his arc was just beautiful.

Overall I'd say it's weaker than Dawn, but that still means it's pretty fucking good. I had super high expectations I guess, but I'm satisfied with the end of the trilogy.

Maybe it's just me but "War" kind of indicated to me this would be epic and of much larger scale than it is. Didn't expect a laser focused character drama instead.

Amazing film, just not as great as I had hoped. Still loved it overall however.
I have almost the exact thoughts. Was hoping for a grand finale but this turned out to be dedicated to Caesar's character arc and had some pacing issues as well. On the whole still a good film.

DirtyLarry

I need to preface this statement with the following...

I am 42 years old and the original 1968 movies is one of my favorite movies of all time. I first saw it when I was around 5 and I was immediately hooked. But then at around 15 I realized it was a much deeper movie than I first recognized. At around the same time I found out the screenplay was actually written by Rod Serling, the creator of the Twilight Zone, and that was all she wrote. I made it a point to really pay attention and that led me to realize it's absolute brilliance.

So I have actually loved these prequels. Even the Franco one. As such a big fan of the original, I felt they were doing that movie justice while modernizing it but making it something new as well. With that said, I was super, super interested in seeing how they would wrap this reboot up and lead to the original and was super curious as to just how many easter eggs/references they would include. And I have to say I am super pleased and 110% okay with how they chose to do so.

In fact I am so pleased with this movie, I would say it has the potential to become one of my favorite movies ever made. That is how much I enjoyed it. There are just so many subliminal and blatant messages about humanity contained within these movies and I respect the hell out of that. They have made a movie that can be completely enjoyed without trying to read into the message at all, but if you do take the time to do so, you are rewarded with a pretty deep message about man overall. That is no easy task to pull off with a "summer blockbuster."

This is why I have such reverence for these prequel reboots. They could have taken the easy way out and just went for entertainment and not much else, but they truly kept the essence of the original alive and did Mr. Serling justice.

And since this thread contains spoilers, I will end by saying the comedic relief of Bad Ape was fucking flawless.

Just got back. I'll need to watch it and Dawn again to see which I ultimately prefer, but right now I think I'm leaning more towards War being the crown jewel of the trilogy. Amazing work from Matt Reeves, Michael Seresin, Michael Giancchio and- of course- Andy Serkis.

I can't wait to see what Reeves does with The Batman. Dude's gonna crush it.

JB1981

The movie was solid but was anyone disappointed with how narrow the narrative scope was? About an hour of this movie takes place at the detention center. I was hoping for a broader view of the larger conflict.

The ending was a bit too pat for my tastes as well. Laid on the hero warship a little thick when so much of the rest of the movie was directed with beautiful restraint

BTW, nitpick here. Really wish people stop calling the Reboot Trilogy "prequels." This is something I am seeing on many sites, and I don't even understand why? Yes, the Reboot Trilogy obviously take inspiration/nods from the original franchise in many ways, but at the end of the day, these movies are no more of a prequel to the original Planet of the Apes than Batman Begins is a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman. As in, it's a separate Universe. A new/separate continuity/canon.

Top Bottom