• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War for the Planet of the Apes |OT| And for the last Twinkie too. [SPOILERS]

It's just boring. Everything happens for convenience of the movie. There are just so many plotholes in this movie its beyond ridiculous. I loved the first movie and enjoyed the 2nd one, but this one is terrible. It's like Xmen Last stand or Matrix Revolution of the trilogy.

There was too much where they just expected you to turn your brain off and enjoy the story for me too.

How all of these 100's of Apes were captured by that small army while Caesar and his three amigos were gone. No one notices a screaming guard covered in is shit missing. Or that the kids pen is empty the next day after no one on duty last night noticed them crossing the fortress on a wire. Or a small girl can wonder onto a military based unnoticed. Or how Caesar is tucking and rolling away from so many graduates of the Storm Trooper gun range. Or as the apes escape into the hole no one on watch notices how the apes numbers are slowly dwindling throughout the night. Or no one notices the 4 apes following them on horseback along the beach.

There's so many little touches they could have made that would have tied everything together better than what was left on screen.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I liked it, good sense of empathy between the species. I felt more for these CG characters than I have for real, living breathing actors. The pacing could have been tightened up though. My only complaint.

I get the feeling I should've watched the first two movies before watching this one

Still pretty gud though

The 1st is the best movie in the series, by far. The 2nd is still pretty good. This movie is pretty forgettable in comparison. Get on it ASAP.

It's just boring. Everything happens for convenience of the movie. There are just so many plotholes in this movie its beyond ridiculous. I loved the first movie and enjoyed the 2nd one, but this one is terrible. It's like Xmen Last stand or Matrix Revolution of the trilogy.

I kinda agree. I wouldn't call it a terrible movie, just kinda meh.

There was too much where they just expected you to turn your brain off and enjoy the story for me too.

How all of these 100's of Apes were captured by that small army while Caesar and his three amigos were gone. No one notices a screaming guard covered in is shit missing. Or that the kids pen is empty the next day after no one on duty last night noticed them crossing the fortress on a wire. Or a small girl can wonder onto a military based unnoticed. Or how Caesar is tucking and rolling away from so many graduates of the Storm Trooper gun range. Or as the apes escape into the hole no one on watch notices how the apes numbers are slowly dwindling throughout the night. Or no one notices the 4 apes following them on horseback along the beach.

There's so many little touches they could have made that would have tied everything together better than what was left on screen.
The entire movie is dumb now that I think of it. The colonel had all apes working for him forcefully anyways, even before Caeser was caught. Why the fuck did he keep Caeser alive? There was no point. And they were such a incompetent bunch of soldiers. Never noticed the girl, never even spanned that searchlight inside the cage, entered cage full of monkeys with keys without telling anyone, kept huge ass fuel tanks near weapons, the main bodyguard or whatever had a fucking crossbow as his main weapon when everyone else had shotguns or automatic rifles, only because they wanted Caeser to get injured with an arrow wound and not a gun shot?
There is more such stupid shit throughout the movie. Never expected such stuff from this franchise after the first two movies.

Jerm411

My showing had a trailer attached for.........10 Cloverfield Lane....full trailer and all with release date from last year.....

giphy.gif

Oh yeah....the movie....a lot of mental gymnastics and turning off of the mind have to be had but I did enjoy it. A lot more profound and somber than I was expecting....

The entire movie is dumb now that I think of it. The colonel had all apes working for him forcefully anyways, even before Caeser was caught. Why the fuck did he keep Caeser alive? There was no point. And they were such a incompetent bunch of soldiers. Never noticed the girl, never even spanned that searchlight inside the cage, entered cage full of monkeys with keys without telling anyone, kept huge ass fuel tanks near weapons, the main bodyguard or whatever had a fucking crossbow as his main weapon when everyone else had shotguns or automatic rifles, only because they wanted Caeser to get injured with an arrow wound and not a gun shot?
There is more such stupid shit throughout the movie. Never expected such stuff from this franchise after the first two movies.
The humans in this movie were so poorly handled. Maybe if they had worked in that all these soldiers were already infected and their mental capacity was deteriorating, at least give some excuse for their incompetence.

I remember expecting the Colonel to start monologuing at some point after capturing Caesar and keeping him alive for no reason. After losing all his men earlier in a raid to kill Caesar now that he's surrendered he'll make an example out of him? So he can keep working the apes with no food and water? Maybe someone can chime in if the movie explained why they Colonel wants his head one minute and kept him alive the next minute, I can't remember if they gave a reason for this thought process.

Crossbow solider felt like they were setting him up to be turned the entire movie and even have him hesitate to finish off Caesar only to have him blow away by Donkey Kong who's built up to be a good shot but was that some amazing shot with a rocket launcher? Or was that meant to be read as DK didn't looked to be redeemable so he saves Caesar from the one you thought was meant to have a redeeming story? That Crossbow solider seemed like a complete waste of screen time.

Not saying this movie is perfect, because of course it is not (neither was the original BTW, and I LOVE the original), but even at this movie's absolute very worst, it's decent, and very much not boring.

I grew up a big fan of the original series, but even so, go back watch some of the weaker entries of the original series, like Beneath, if you think War is "boring."

AHA-Lambda

Just out of seeing it and on the whole it was enjoyable (hard to pick between this and the 2nd, but neither are near the 1st imo), but my god it really did drag on for quite a lengthy period of time during the middle portion of the film >_>

I never thought of the mute human things as convenient, but as part of the steps towards the original movie. I thought it was well integrated.

Kusagari

I liked the movie while watching it, but yeah... A ton of stuff makes no sense when you actually think about.

The colonel risked his own life to kill Caesar earlier in the film, but keeps him alive for no reason after repeatedly seeing that he has the charisma and ability to start a rebellion. And it's not like he underestimated Caesar either because he openly admits how smart and dangerous he is.

Just out of seeing it and on the whole it was enjoyable (hard to pick between this and the 2nd, but neither are near the 1st imo), but my god it really did drag on for quite a lengthy period of time during the middle portion of the film >_>

Yeah the middle dragged on for way too long. Like someone said earlier, thought the first act was masterful, then it somewhat went downhill from there. But still loved the ending.

Dawn was an overall better movie for me.

Have to imagine they'll make a fourth unless this does exceedingly poor in the box office. I'd be happiest if it's set far off from War and divorced from this cast of characters. Something away from Caesar's story.

I would like a remake of POTA that fits into this universe. The Icarus returns after its mission and the astronauts have to survive in this world turned upside down.

Zips

I would like a remake of POTA that fits into this universe. The Icarus returns after its mission and the astronauts have to survive in this world turned upside down.

I imagine the next one will have the astronaut(s) arrive, and discover the world either fully deviated from Caesar's vision for ape society already, or on its way from it with Caesar's remaining son possibly trying to preserve what he knows of his father's vision (or just killed as a final break from Caesar's vision by the apes of that time).

Power will corrupt the apes just like it did man, etc. The astronaut(s) will come in as a reminder to Caesar's son or other apes as a reminder of the past and what ape society is in danger of becoming. Maybe a civil war erupts. I don't know how much if any hope there is for the astronauts, but maybe the planners will go for a reversal and have the astronaut(s) trying to lead human remnants away and escape from ape society.

Nova being in this movie seems like they are planning to set the next movie not that far off into the future - within her lifespan, and maybe while she is in her 20s/30s still. In that case they'd maybe go with fractures in ape society starting.

Timeaisis

2 > 3 > 1

I enjoyed it but felt like it never quite reached the level of Dawn. The plot was interesting, but a little long and not as tight as I would've liked. Harrleson was almost underutilized. Like his character needed that monologue to work. Caesar and Maurice are of course great.

I thought the beginning was fantastic, especially the night attack scene. The first half was really solid, but the conclusion didn't ever reach the heights that I wanted it to. The other humans weren't developed at all and felt like a plot device. Overall though, I thought it was fitting end to the series.

The soundtrack was great.

dealer-

Went last night and enjoyed it overall. Some great images, reminded me of the Last of the Us. The camp section kinda killed the pacing though and it felt some things were just brushed over/wrapped up too quickly, which is ironic when it felt like it dragged at times.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I do think it is a bit needlessly long for what it does. The flick is 10 minutes longer than Dawn, yet should have been 10 minutes shorter.

I took the title as being a metaphorical war, actually. The war for Caesar's soul, as it were.

This. Like I said before, I'm sure we WILL get movies with more war-like apes now that Caesar is gone, but Caesar is a pacifist at heart. He couldn't even execute the man who *murdered* his wife and child. It's completely fitting that the apes were essentially bystanders or that they WISHED to be bystanders/left alone.

The apes who joined Woody were the ones more willing to kill to survive. Koba's leftovers.

There were gasps when that was revealed, I don't think many caught Woody saying something like "Kong is down", which told us he thought he had killed Caesar.

Yup, the silence was palpable in our theatre.

The One and Done™;243578907 said:
Terrific movie! Apes together strong!

Loooooved, this scene, too.

The 1st is the best movie in the series, by far. The 2nd is still pretty good. This movie is pretty forgettable in comparison. Get on it ASAP.

Woof. The first movie is easily the worst for me, even though I really like it. A lot of the human storyline is very weak. You want to talk about plotholes and strange characters/motivations? So many of the characters in that movie are one-dimensional cartoons. Bryan Cox, Lucius Malfoy and his heartless teenage friends, David Olewo's fortune-starved CEO, etc. Both Dawn and War's characters have far more nuance and better motivation.

Like I said--I really like Rise. It was a huge surprise.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Nothing in the film gave me the suggestion that the apes were carriers of the plague, or that the Colonel believed them to be so.

And it was clearly suggested that it was Nova's doll that infected him, not his exposure to apes.

Doll had Nova's blood on it.

It's also interesting to note that how this virus seems to be transmitted through touch and not airbourne.

I.E. when he was talking about his son and why he got infected, following the others caring for him. Or how Nova was locked in the house by her father, who was fine.

Basically the Captains own persistence on wanting to kill out the bug, also seems to be what helped spread it.

I came in here expecting a love in based on what everyone is saying about the film and its RT score...

Boy am I glad I'm not alone in not liking this! I thought it was too stupid, even for PotA.. I ended up having to step out for a phone call and didn't even bother to go back in the theater. I was hyped for this, too! Disappointing to say the least.

Nafai1123

Banned
Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely loved it. Teared up a couple times which is a first for entirely CG characters. My god it looked phenominal. The prison went on for a long time but it gave a great sense of hopelessness and despair leading up to the escape. One of the best trilogies of all time imo. Hope Andy gets an Oscar nom.

Just got back as well and I loved it. And as you said the CGI is just amazing, it's absolutely crazy really how good the apes look. Several sad scenes of course with his family and Luca the gorilla's last moment. Or how he grabbed that flower for the girl. On one hand I'm sad Caesar didn't make it but at the same time I guess it fits the movie overall probably. Personally I wanted him to live.

And the twist about the Simian virus was quite interesting. Humans basically degrading, losing their ability to talk. I guess sooner or later all the humans would lose it right? I mean even the Colonel lost it. One thing about him though. He saw his son becoming less human, losing speech, shot him. But why fully go against the apes? Worse yet, enslave and abuse them? It's not like killing all apes would cure the virus.

I'm not yet sure where to place it along with the first two movies but I do have to agree with people here about the pacing in the camp part. It took a little too long while the parts before that were fantastic. I would have liked more parts like that and the camp part not so long. It didn't take anything away from the movie for me though.

7/10 for me. Whereas the 2nd is a 10 easy. Really didn't like that there wasn't any kind of lead human protagonist.

It made sense to me that there wasn't. It seemed not a whole lot of humans were left anymore except for the colonel and his men and the other soldiers that attacked the camp later on. I think we are to believe humans are completely wiped out now. Personally I really liked how they brought the little girl in, gave us some beautiful moments.

Fury451

Banned

Yeah, these things were a massive problem for me. The movie was really solid in a lot of ways, but it was inferior to Dawn because of a lot of plotting/contrivance issues. A base full of soldiers and there was what, one guard watching a pen full of maybe a hundred apes or more? And nobody at all watching the kids?

Also that wall made out of rocks and wood was supposed to stop attack helicopters/a full on army assault how exactly? It lasted about 8 seconds after the helos showed up.

And the helos all conveniently flew in a straight line at the base to trade missile fire with SAMS like they were fighting in the Revolutionary War or something.

I'm not sure if it's weaker than the first film, but the lapses in logic bring it really close. That said, this was still a phenomenal trilogy, and Serkis was exceptional.

I liked the movie while watching it, but yeah... A ton of stuff makes no sense when you actually think about.

The colonel risked his own life to kill Caesar earlier in the film, but keeps him alive for no reason after repeatedly seeing that he has the charisma and ability to start a rebellion. And it's not like he underestimated Caesar either because he openly admits how smart and dangerous he is.
If he had killed Ceasar the apes would have rebelled and the wall wouldn't get done on time.

Good movie, good ending to a great trilogy. For me, War might be the weakest of the three but it was still pretty darn good. Like many, thought it dragged a bit in the middle.

Serkis is amazing. Woody was decent but that was all.

Really emotional ending that I saw coming and was expecting but still got me.

When they panned up I was really, really expecting to see the space shuttle from the first one coming into the atmosphere.

J_Viper

Great ending to an excellent trilogy.

There are certainly some pacing problems in the middle, sure, but the many strengths of the film more than made up for that flaw.

The CGI is stunning, Serkis is amazing, and Reeves work behind the camera is brilliant.

The action too, what little there is of it, is very well made.

I can understand the disappointment by those expecting more, well, "war" in the film, but I can appreciate the decision to focus more on the characters and storytelling.

I'd definitely place the Apes trilogy up there with LoTR and TDK as the best film trilogies.

rekameohs

Banned
Actually, the lab person got infected and spread it to an airplane pilot who then got onto the plane.
The airplane pilot had such a hilariously bad time in Rise.

His car gets wrecked by crazy John Lithgow. Then, when he confronts him, he gets beaten the shit out of by Caesar, who then completely bites his finger off. Then, the lab guy knocks on his door looking for James Franco and accidentally sneezes blood all over his face. Then he causes the downfall of mankind.

Oops!

Aexact

The wall was a terrible idea but I felt it was kinda a reference to a similar proposed wall in real life. Which kinda amused me when in the finale, the wall did nothing.

Dunno if that was the intent or when writing for the story began, but that's how I took the idea of the wall being laughably useless. Ceasar mentions it straight away to the Donkey ape, that the wall won't save the Colonel.

Actually, I glanced at my phone during the middle segment (tried to shield the light with my bag) and yeah, not a great thing to do but not from being bored but from feeling that the representation of humanity in these Planet of the Apes movies is that humanity is garbage. Or at least the extremist war faction of humanity that are the antagonists for War are but they're our humans for this movie. Felt it appropriately built up a sense of hopelessness and it is utterly in line with how the other Planet of the Ape reboots were presented but damn it, the last one was 3 years ago I wasn't remembering that far back! Made my heart hurt and I wanted to take a break from it because of how utterly bleak it was compared to ... like the other summer blockbusters I've been watching this summer. I wasn't mentally prepared.

Ithil

What an excellent trilogy overall. Never would have expected this franchise had it left in it.

It's downright criminal Serkis will never get any proper recognition for his work in these.

Caesar took that whip like Denzel in Glory.

Yeah that was quite something. And all that time I thought to myself what a traitor that ape with the whip was to his own kind. And for what? Leftover supporters for Koba who was already dead? Great that he eventually came to Caesar's rescue but he took his sweet time helping the humans first.

I still don't fully get the colonel's drive though. It's not the apes that are to blame, it's the fucking humans with their experimenting.

Actually, the lab person got infected and spread it to an airplane pilot who then got onto the plane.

Yep and you guys forgot to mention the new thing about the virus which is explained in War, it makes humans lose their speech now too.

I don't think the Colonel blamed the apes, I got the sense he saw the virus as divine intervention for humanity's hubris. His whole alpha/omega thing and 'blessing' his soldiers.

His fear was surviving humans would be treated like...apes I guess.

Top Bottom