• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Movies and TV Shows

Liljagare

@ Liljagare Liljagare you should do the same thread but for War TV series.
There is so many good ones that have been made !

That is a thread that would take a alot of work, but I will accept the challenge.

Meanwhile, scifi movie, a conclusion to the Skyline movies, Skylin3, yeah, it is scifi, but it actually gives you a conclusion to the Skyline thread, and it is a decent insurgent war flick:

Liljagare

Shaka Zulu, a mini series deserves a mention. It had alot of famous actors, had deals with a really interesting part of the African history.

Here is a TV-series alot of people remember, but don't remember the name of, it stars Bruce Boxleitner in one of his first big roles, the entire thing is sort of reminding you of Indiana Jones.

Bring 'em back alive, https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0023843/.

It is very hard to find this one, even internet has trouble finding the trailers, but some episodes are available for tree on youtube!

Lastly, this has been mentioned, but, it is also one of my favourite movies, Das Boot (The U-Boat). There is a new Tv series based on the stories, and it is, really, really good, don't miss this one.

I think Empire Of The Sun, Born On The Fourth Of July, and Schindler's List were some of the earliest war movies I've watched. I always consider myself lucky to be able to witness the horror of war and not actually having to go through the aftermath because of these movies.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Avengers: Infinity War
Captain America: Civil War

Those are probably the 3 greatest war movies of all time.

giphy.gif

Rawker

Didn't see the long road home tv mini series mentioned or the always overlooked the lost battalion which is one of my favorites with characters as memorable as band of brothers.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
If you're in to a Horror War movies there is a great one called Overlord. I thought it was really unique and entertaining take on War movies. Don't feel like I've watched a ton of good movies in this similar vein that mixes horror and action so well.

Reactions: Gp1

Liljagare

The Winds of War (miniseries)​

Has a ton of old actors, good acting, good story.

Rome : 2004-2007​

Shōgun (1980 miniseries)​

This is a epic series, up there with the best of them, both story wise, and actor wise.

Last edited:
Dunkirk was really great

I enjoyed Midway last year as well

of course the classics are always great.

I have a soft spot for 60s war movies like Kelly’s Heroes and Where Eagles Dare

also Play Dirty with Michael Caine

uh... trigger warning for that last trailer. The 60s were a different time

Ah the classic zoomed in shot of a guys crotch undoing his belt for preparing for rape lol.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Siege of Jadotville doesn't get a lot of love, but it's a solid film. I have a feeling a lot pass over it because of the Netflix logo slapped on it. I think Jamie Dornan has a bad reputation because of Fifty Shades, but he's not a bad actor. He was really good in The Fall, too.

Swaff

Neo Member
Siege of Jadotville doesn't get a lot of love, but it's a solid film. I have a feeling a lot pass over it because of the Netflix logo slapped on it. I think Jamie Dornan has a bad reputation because of Fifty Shades, but he's not a bad actor. He was really good in The Fall, too.

Not heard of this before but will definitely give it a watch. I was really impressed with Jamie Dornan in The Fall and wanted to see more with him in so thanks for the suggestion!

My first port of call whenever these threads appear.
Sam Bloody Pekinpah....

I've been wanting to watch this for a long time. The whole German perspective thing makes me curious, and Sam Peckinpah is a madman lol. I've been wanting to watch Bring me the Head of Alfredo Garcia for a while too.

Here are a couple that I haven't seen posted yet that I rate highly:

Admiral / Адмиралъ (2008) is set during the Russian civil war fighting against the Bolsheviks.

Kingdom of Heaven (2005) - Make sure you watch the Director's Cut if you plan on watching it.

slayerjman

Neo Member

Yeah love this film. If Netflix believed in releasing physical copies of movies it would be an instant buy regardless of format.

S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah love this film. If Netflix believed in releasing physical copies of movies it would be an instant buy regardless of format.
I agree. I much prefer having movies on Blu-Ray honestly. They are always there when I feel like watching them, the quality is much better and they don't rely on streaming connection.

slayerjman

Neo Member
I agree. I much prefer having movies on Blu-Ray honestly. They are always there when I feel like watching them, the quality is much better and they don't rely on streaming connection.
Agreed. You never know when Netflix or other streaming services will pull something because they find content they don't like in a film/ series.

OT : The Battle of Jangsari- set during the Korean War:

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
I have another good one that popped back in my memory recently. '71 with Jack O'Connell. It's a very different kind of War movie, but very enjoyable. Very tense throughout, great performances and will keep you on the edge of your seat.

It's about a soldier abandoned by his unit and alone in a Belfast riot. Amazing film. I have a feeling not enough people have seen it. You should watch it for Jack O'Connell alone, he is one of the brightest and most impressive young actors working today.

Liljagare

North and South (miniseries)​

The saga tells the story of the enduring friendship between Orry Main of South Carolina (Patrick Swayze) and George Hazard of Pennsylvania (James Read), who become best friends while attending the United States Military Academy at West Point but later find themselves and their families on opposite sides of the war.[1] The slave-owning Mains are rural planters from outside Charleston, South Carolina, while the Hazards, who resided in a small Pennsylvania mill town, profit from ownership of iron manufacturing and industry capital, their differences reflecting the divisions between North and South that eventually led to the Civil War.[7]

Sharpe (TV series)​

Sharpe_%28DVD_box_set_-_cover_art%29.jpg

Sharpe is a British television series of stories starring Sean Bean as Richard Sharpe, a fictional British soldier in the Napoleonic Wars, with Daragh O'Malley playing his second in command Patrick Harper. Sharpe and Harper are the heroes of the Sharpe series of novels by Bernard Cornwell; most, though not all, of the episodes are based on the books. Produced by Celtic Films and Picture Palace Films for the ITV network, the series was filmed mainly in Crimea, with recording of other episodes in Turkey, England, Portugal, Spain with the two final episodes filmed in India.

We'll Meet Again (TV series) TV Mini-Series (1982)

It's 1943 and the American Air Force has come to Market Weatherby, a small East Anglian town. The war weary British and the brash American GIs sometimes clash, but friendships are also forged

Entire series available on Youtube for free.

Last edited:

Redlancet

Banned
mosul on netflix what a amazing and realistic movie

also black hawk down,plus aliens plus final fantasy the movie

also one of the best asian war movies i haven see and the equivalent of ths schindlers list for the chinese

the city of life and death

Last edited:

Liljagare

The Man in the High Castle, a alternative history series. It has some pretty decent production values, and contains alot of those "what if" moments alot of people like to discuss. The ending is so-so, and wanders, but it is a pretty good war show!

Liljagare

Tour of Duty is another one I almost forgot, good actors.

The trailer is cheezy 80's, but the show is pretty good, if you can find it.

Last edited:
S

Sidney Prescott

Unconfirmed Member
What did you guys think of Eye in the Sky? I personally loved that movie, I would give it another watch sometime. Riveting, tense and well acted, you couldn't ask for more.

Johnny Got His Gun

Watch the movie. Read the book. Either way, it's worth the time. People generally know it as the movie that inspired the Metallica video "One." The side of war no one likes to talk about.

All Quiet on the Western Front

There's a black-and-white version from 1930 and another version from 1979. Both versions are true to the book. A story about how easily old people send young people to die for no good reason.

Ballthyrm

Here is a list of a couple French war movies that I really liked.

• La Grande Illusion

Great movie about a WW1 prisoners' camp, great characters, a classic.
  • Joyeux Noel

A movie about the WW1 Christmas truce, very well done and gives a pretty good view on both sides.
  • L'armee des Ombres

A very bleak look on the French resistance and how powerless and mostly useless it was. Very brutal movie.
  • L'ennemi intime

A movie about the Algerian war of Independence from the French point of view (spoiler alert, we were the bad guys)

Last edited:

Liljagare

Days of glory, the 233,000 african men who enlisted to fight for France, also had to fight against French discrimination during WW2.

Really good flick.

Fortress of War, a war drama set during the Nazi invasion of the Soviet Union in June 1941, in which Soviet troops held on to a border stronghold for nine days.

Last edited:

Liljagare

In 1944 Estonia, a fratricide war ensues when Estonians of the retreating German forces fight against Estonians conscripted into the advancing Soviet Red Army. A country stuck between the two sides, a different WW2 story!

Top Bottom