• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War of the Monsters |OT| The Best Godzilla Game

I can't remember: Does this game have a campaign you can 'beat'? Or no?
It's got an arcade/adventure mode where you do like ten battles against playable monsters and three boss fights. The boss fights are pretty fun, especially the last one. The whole thing takes like two or three hours. Worth paying through with a few different characters cause it's the fastest way to unlock everything (stages, characters). The best way to play is definitely multiplayer, though.

I've spent a lot of this weekend unlocking stuff and it's been pretty fun but I'll probably put the SP aside soon and just stick to multiplayer.

Briarios

I can't remember: Does this game have a campaign you can 'beat'? Or no?

Also, each monster you beat the game with unlocks a little cinematic ending that details how they were created. Playthroughs get you credits to unlock stuff, too ... so, yeah, there is quite a bit to do if you like collecting stuff and seeing endings. The camera aggravates me a lot, but the game is still fun ... if there was any of the old Sony games that deserves a real modern update, this is the one.

Unicorn

Saw an old Greg Kasavin review. If the game was too repetitive and button-mashy in 2003 then it would feel painful to play now, especially since there is no real single player to go through.
That's like saying street fighter is too repetitive. This is a 3D fighter.

I'm surprised there was never a competitive scene like for TM.

It's got an arcade/adventure mode where you do like ten battles against playable monsters and three boss fights. The boss fights are pretty fun, especially the last one. The whole thing takes like two or three hours. Worth paying through with a few different characters cause it's the fastest way to unlock everything (stages, characters). The best way to play is definitely multiplayer, though.

I've spent a lot of this weekend unlocking stuff and it's been pretty fun but I'll probably put the SP aside soon and just stick to multiplayer.

Also, each monster you beat the game with unlocks a little cinematic ending that details how they were created. Playthroughs get you credits to unlock stuff, too ... so, yeah, there is quite a bit to do if you like collecting stuff and seeing endings. The camera aggravates me a lot, but the game is still fun ... if there was any of the old Sony games that deserves a real modern update, this is the one.

Thanks for the thorough replies.

I may buy it, as I only rented it before and it'd be nice to play again. I don't even like fighting games normally.

But one of the reasons I asked was to see whether it was something I would've beaten/could add to my list of beaten games.

Unicorn

Also what separates this from Godzilla monster melee is the focus on mobility and the fact that monsters feel more maneuverable.

I played a ton of Godzilla but it felt stiff and flat compared to the building climbing and tactical attacking in WotM

In the sequel that's TOTALLY going to happen, they need to include a plant monster.

Yudoken

Love the game, it's really fantastic and play it to this date with a friend on my pc.

Hopefully this game get's the attention it deserves, the true ''rival'' for Smash Bros.

If there would be a sequel I would like to see changes in following things:

Character and costume unlocks (at least make it optional)

Camera merging in 2p (is confusing and annoying)

4p mode!

More game modes!

I completely forgot how totally fucking cheap the AI is in this game.

You beat the shit out of 1 monster, then the 2nd one always comes to the rescue and impales you while the other one runs around the level collecting all the health.

Im on the Gorilla/Insect fight and I dont remember how I beat this back in the day...

Unit24

This game doesn't do a very good job of teaching you the mechanics. I was just told to use some kind of dive/stomp attack, even though I wasn't not told that anything like that existed. Also the fights against multiple monsters feel like total horseshit, and somehow this is "easy" mode.

In the sequel that's TOTALLY going to happen, they need to include a plant monster.
Yup! My friend and I that see huge fans of this game have talked about what would need to be added in a sequel since a few important tropes are missing.

Plant monster
Trash/pollution monster
Spiky burrowing monster
Giant turtle (need that knock off Gamera!)
Human that grows to kaiju size
Sea creature - crustacean or mollusk
Then they need some truly crazy new ideas on the level of trope-defying kaiju like Gigan.

I completely forgot how totally fucking cheap the AI is in this game.

You beat the shit out of 1 monster, then the 2nd one always comes to the rescue and impales you while the other one runs around the level collecting all the health.

Im on the Gorilla/Insect fight and I dont remember how I beat this back in the day...

This game doesn't do a very good job of teaching you the mechanics. I was just told to use some kind of dive/stomp attack, even though I wasn't not told that anything like that existed. Also the fights against multiple monsters feel like total horseshit, and somehow this is "easy" mode.
Read the manual! Suddenly you realize there are lots of moves. And when you're outnumbered, focus on one at a time. Be super aggressive. It's easy once you've figured it out, I can stomp them on medium pretty consistently now.

Read the manual! Suddenly you realize there are lots of moves. And when you're outnumbered, focus on one at a time. Be super aggressive. It's easy once you've figured it out, I can stomp then on medium pretty consistently more.

I remember a lot of the moves, and I used to beat the AI down back in the day but I just cant remember how I did it.

It seems that whenever I get one of them close to death the other will always impale me. Then the wounded monster will go collect all the damn health around the level.

I remember a lot of the moves, and I used to beat the AI down back in the day but I just cant remember how I did it.

It seems that whenever I get one of them close to death the other will always impale me. Then the wounded monster will go collect all the damn health around the level.
Use line of sight to control the battlefield. Keep a building between yourself and one of your opponents whenever possible. And when they run throw and shoot like crazy, they're really vulnerable to ranged attacks with their back to you.

Unit24

Is there a way to avoid the attacks from the plant boss? Because it seems like I get hit by the vines and the homing projectiles no matter what I do, and I can almost never avoid getting eaten.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I'm in for some shareplay battles, just getting reacquainted with the controls now.

PSN Name: kaching
Host: Y
Join Y
Time Zoe: EST (late night)

sharpeye said:
I hope if this does well enough Sony might consider bringing the IP back to life in some form, at least there aware that this is a beloved game for a lot of people. I'll play eventually as i'm having fun with UC4 beta right now, but looking forward to replaying it and causing tsunamis over and over again.
It shouldn't even need to be a big budget project either. Aim for a digital only sequel, sell for maybe $20. I wouldn't even say they need to update the degree of building destruction too much, it still holds it's own against more recent games for that sort of thing. Just HD the assets, adjust the control scheme a bit, expand or freshen up the roster and the locations list.

You probably need to reacquaint yourself with the level layout and where the powerups are. For me, part of beating the AI always involved beating them to the powerups and health packs too.

mjc

This game was THE shit. I remember playing it with my brother a lot way back when. I think a sequel would be incredible.

Local multiplayer in this was KING. While the fighting itself was rather simplistic, the amount of content and love for the sci-fi genre was so incredibly endearing. Ed Wood presents your favorite monsters kinda game!

Ugh....so I finally beat the Ape/Bug fight now Im just getting whooped on the two dragons fight.

I seriously cannot move. Im constantly being blown up/impaled. Its basically a vicious cycle until I die. There is no defense against explosions and impalement. I totally forgot about this part of the game and its diminishing my rosy-nostalgia image towards this.

Dragoshi1

Ugh....so I finally beat the Ape/Bug fight now Im just getting whooped on the two dragons fight.

I seriously cannot move. Im constantly being blown up/impaled. Its basically a vicious cycle until I die. There is no defense against explosions and impalement. I totally forgot about this part of the game and its diminishing my rosy-nostalgia image towards this.
throw plane parts from the jumbo jets and oil tankers ASAP.

Strafe and counter when possible, and toss raptros when one gets close.

EmJayJay

Neo Member
I want to see a video on how someone beats the final boss with Agamo on the hardest difficulty level. Back in PS2 era I didn't think it would be possible and I still doubt it. First boss phase pretty much requires you to use the monsters Ultimate for the short amount of time you have to launch counter attack against the boss. And Agamos Ult doesn't really do damage at all when throwing or exploding his head. The boss pretty much razes the arena down before you have completed the first phase while looking for cover. Plus Agamo is one of the slowest combat characters there is and his resistance doesn't work well against the final phase of the boss.

Best characters are Congar and Preytor. They are the fastest combat characters so their attacks are hardest to parry/counter. Preytor's stun attack is hard to diffrentiate from her throwback attack even though its slower.
Robo 47 should always have I-Bar in use since then his range and attack speed increases notably. Especially his stun attack.

The coolest glitch I have gotten while playing was when my buddy was playing as Ultra-V and used his close-range Ult, the sword didn't retract but was still on on his hand. Didn't affect anything but it was pretty cool.

My buddy found cool glitch/bug/exploit that lets you fly to the ceiling of the map with flying monsters.
1. Find something with an edge like building or a cliff.
2. Do charge attack off the cliff.
3. Hold X (Flying/gliding button) and pull the joystick back. The speed from the charge attack lets you soar to the skies.

Plus you could play catch or baseball with the throwable objects. Before CoD thought it was cool.

Is there a way to avoid the attacks from the plant boss? Because it seems like I get hit by the vines and the homing projectiles no matter what I do, and I can almost never avoid getting eaten.

Hey 2 years later but if you are still stuck here is my tactic.
The vines will hit you regardless what you do but you can minimize it by jumping and moving forward. Running doesn't work as effectively if I remember correctly.
I don't remember any homing projectiles so I most likely strafed them.
You grab piece of junk from the ground and throw it at the boss when it opens its mouth. You can see a red thingie in its mouth. Throw the junk quickly in its mouth while locked on to do massive damage. Rinse and repeat.

Top Bottom