• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War of the Monsters |OT| The Best Godzilla Game

latest

A classic PS2 brawler returns on PS4! War of the Monsters is a city smashing, robot punching, great ape throwing third person brawler where you play the role of a giant monster, or kaiju, and go to town beating the snot out of other giant monsters. Now enhanced with improved resolution (and probably frame rate).

Kongar-Vs-Ultua-V-war-of-the-monsters-34139296-1600-1200.jpg

Developer Incognito
PS2 Release: January 13th, 2003
PS4 Release: December 5th, 2015
PSN Price: $9.99
Store Link (~700 MB)
Players 1-2 local, 1-2 online using SharePlay

War of the Monsters has a roster of kaiju to choose from - many are tributes to classic monsters and tropes, such as Togera (Godzilla), Congar (King Kong), Ultra-V (Classic anime mecha), and Preytor (giant mutated bug). Others, like Kineticlops and Magmo, are original ideas cooked up by the brilliant folks at Incognito (RIP).

war_of_the_monsters_characters_by_mythgital_creatures-d331l3g.jpg

The game has a simple arcade mode that can be beaten in a few hours by each character. The real joy comes from local multiplayer, where you can battle a friend with the creative split screen merging system the game is well remembered for. Now on PS4, this wonderful feature can be enjoyed online thanks to Share Play! The game also has trophies, so dig in.

A bit of advice: read the manual! There are a lot more moves than the game ever tells you, and with the knowledge from the manual you'll be stomping scrubs in no time.

War of the Monsters is an absolute joy. If you've got someone to play with in person or the connection to Share Play, I strongly recommend this game. This thread should be a great way to find online opponents to Share Play with as well. If you're looking for someone, please post here with the following format:

PSN Name: XXXX
Host: Y/N
Join Y/N
Time Zoe: XXT

Remember, you don't need to own the game to join, just to host! If we have enough interest I'll make a Google doc so finding opponents is even easier.

I heard this gaming was amazing. Too pad I didn't venture outside of DBZ, WWE, and GTA on PS2 games. Maybe I'll pick it up to see what I missed. Dope thread op.

And to start us off:
PSN: jackissocool
Host: N
Join: Y
Time Zone: EST

I haven't bought it yet but I probably will in the next few days. Unfortunately my connection is too slow to host so even once I do that won't be an option (unless a miracle happens and TWC stops bring terrible).
I heard this gaming was amazing. Too pad I didn't venture outside of DBZ, WWE, and GTA on PS2 games. Maybe I'll pick it up to see what I missed. Dope thread op.
It's a hell of a game. One of my favorite PS2 games for sure.

Sharpeye

I hope if this does well enough Sony might consider bringing the IP back to life in some form, at least there aware that this is a beloved game for a lot of people. I'll play eventually as i'm having fun with UC4 beta right now, but looking forward to replaying it and causing tsunamis over and over again.

Jordan117

The destructible environments in this were so much fun! And very interactive, like the tidal wave in the faux Tokyo, or the massive earthquake you could trigger in the San Francisco clone. I probably spent more time leveling the cities in solo 1v1 matches than I did playing the actual game. It reminds me of Vigilante 8, or a 3D Rampage game.

How big is this game?
I mean GB

Great game, I remember playing the demo in Walmart and falling in love. Highly recommended everybody, even for single player (which is how I played it exclusively)

This is an amazing game and I'm glad it's back. But I already own it, so... Here's hoping it sells enough to warrant interest in a sequel?

PSY・S;188069584 said:
How does it compare to Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee?

I like Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee more, but they are both great games. Think the main difference (besides the size of the monsters) is the speed at which they move, monsters in War of the Monsters are much more agile.

PSY・S;188069584 said:
How does it compare to Godzilla: Destroy All Monsters Melee?
I prefer WotM. The environments are much more interactive and the mobility of the monsters mixes up combat a lot more. I say this is an extremely hardcore Godzilla fan.
Loved this game when it came out. Always wanted a sequel but it never came :(
Maybe buying this will encourage Sony to make one. Who knows, could be. I wouldn't buy it just for that but it encouraged me a little bit.

So does anybody have any performance impressions? Does it run in 16:9? Solid 60 fps? Is the graphical improvement that noticeable?

Evilisk

This has online multiplayer?

Now I really wish I had a PS4.

Anyway just wondering, did they make the Sweet Tooth costume accessible Agamo?

Nev

Banned
Awesome game. Only thing missing was 4 players multiplayer, which was weird considering there were 2 more AI players.

What's the chance of ever getting a spiritual successor?

It doesn't have guns and isn't open world; forget about it.

Flunkie

Banned
This game is amazing, it took a little getting used to the controls again, but it's the first thing I played when I downloaded all the PSX drops. I plan on share play co-oping soon.

PS Robo-47 FTW

Endo Punk

Saw an old Greg Kasavin review. If the game was too repetitive and button-mashy in 2003 then it would feel painful to play now, especially since there is no real single player to go through.

The Argus

It sucks this never got a sequel. Sony really needs to revisit this!

I've hoped for a sequel announcement the last 6 or so E3s. It was a fun game to play with my friends and even family who didn't play video games. Now they could totally make a deal with Legendary for the use of Godzilla and King Kong. I'm tempted to buy this for my PS4 but its tough the PS2 disc is like 15 feet away.

Unicorn

Thanks for making this thread.

NEEEEED, NEEEEEEEEEED a sequel.
Also, is Sweet Tooth skin obtainable? Maybe forced purchase of TMB on PS4?

bounchfx

came in here thinking it was about king of the monsters 2

King%20of%20the%20Monsters%202-14.png

played the fuck out of that shit. is WOTM a spiritual sequel? i remember it but never played it

Thanks for making this thread.

NEEEEED, NEEEEEEEEEED a sequel.
Also, is Sweet Tooth skin obtainable? Maybe forced purchase of TMB on PS4?
Unlocked automatically! No need to get TMB for it.

Anybody down to host some share play right now? Add me on PSN if yes! I would host but my connection can't handle it.

Man, this game brings back some memories. Spent a lot of time playing it with my brother when we were younger.

I just checked out the trophy list, and found out the most important difference between the $10 and $15 games...

bubu-o.gif

Still buying it!

Top Bottom