• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

Wace

rakjpz_1920x1080_logo_ru_920_664ab824c51cb4d2b8584ab615e1121b.JPG

http://coub.com/view/ckf16

Wace

http://warthunder.com/en/news/3739-development-sneak-peek-about-update-1-59-flaming-arrows-en/
https://youtu.be/mm4pgd_iuMI

New and updated vehicles

USA
- T29
- M551 “Sheridan’’
- M48A1
- LVT(A)(1)
- B-29 (updated model)
- B-18
- P-61 (cockpits added)

USSR
- IT-1
- ASU-57
- ASU-85
- KV-2 ZiS-6
- IS-3 (updated model)
- Yak-30
- Tu-4

Germany
- Raketenjagdpanzer-2
- “Sturer Emil”
- Pz.Kpfw.III Ausf. B (reserve vehicle)
- KV-II 754®
- T-34-747®
- Hs 123
- He 162-A2 (updated model)
- He 219-A7
- Bf 109-B1 (cockpit added)

Britain
- Cromwell Mk.V RP3
- Strv 81
- Halifax Mk.IIIa
- Wyvern S.4
- Spitfire F. Mk. IX (updated model)

Japan
- N1K1Ja
- Ki-61-2
- N1K2 (updated models)

New Ground Forces game mechanics

Trauma Packs - researchable modification (expendable) that allows the reviving of one crew member that has been knocked out during the battle.

Appliable armour modules added for the following vehicles:
- M4A2
- M10 Wolverine
- IS-2 1944
- Pz.Kpfw.IV F2
- Stuh 42G
- Stug III G
- Jagdpanzer IV
- Panzer IV/70(V)
- Firefly IC Scorpion (premium)
- 17pdr M10 Achilles

Missions and locations

New location for combined battles “Port Novorossiysk”.

New location for aircraft battles 80 x 80 Miles (128 x 128 km), covering the coast of Britain, France and the English Channel (La Manche).

New aircraft mission: “[Operation] Boulogne-sur-Mer” devoted to an attempt to evacuate French troops from the port of Boulogne-sur-Mer at the end of May 1940 during the Battle of France.

Changes in locations and missions

Spawn distance for fighters and attackers has been changed for all “ground strike” battles:
BR 1.0-2.0: 8,000 m between spawns (no change, was 8,000)
BR 2.3-4.0: 12,000 m between spawns (was 10,000)
BR 4.3-5.7: 16,000 m between spawns (was 14,000)
BR 6.0+: 22,000 m between spawns (was 14,000)

Distance between bombers when spawning in “ground strike” battles changed to 20,000 m (was 18,000).

Bombing target areas and airfield destruction functionality has been added in “Front Line” in Arcade Battles as heavy bombers require adequate targets.

In “Ground Strike” mode, where the bombing zones were too close to the main battle area, these zones have been moved away to allow bombers increased security.

Accuracy of AAA has been decreased in Arcade Mode.

In “Domination” mode on the old version of the location Mozdok has been returned.

New respawn for 16+ matching ranks on the distance of 19,000 m from each other in “Domination” mode has been added.

New “Domination’ missions: Ardennes (2 airfields), Eastern Europe (2 airfields), Finland (1 airfield)

In the mission “Berlin” [Domination] capture airfields have been rotated by 90 degrees to give easier to approach.

All “Ground Strike” missions now have same number of bomb zones and their size has been increased by approximately 200m so that they can be easier bombed from a higher altitude.

All “Operation” missions now have light units appearing at the 10th minute. These units can be destroyed with MG fire which causes your opponent to lose points. The number of units is enough to remove some of the victory score points but not all of them.

Winter and Summer Stalingrad map (including combined battle map) have “Barricady” and “Krasnyi Oktyabr’” factories added.

For all missions in the game mode [Operation], new air respawn points have been added. Respawn points for fighters are further from the mission objectives than the airfield. Respawn points for bombers and attackers are closer. Altitude for respawn points:
Attackers: 1000 m
Bombers: 3000 m
Long-range bombers: 4000 m
Interceptors: 2000 m
Air defence fighters: 3000 m

Five locations have been added to the game mode “Enduring confrontation”: Bulge, Korsun, Kursk, winter Stalingrad and Zhengzhou.

Balance changes in the ground vehicles location “Kuban”.

New mission for game mode [Conquest] for tank location “Mozdok” has been added.

Camouflages

“Desert” camouflages for early German tanks has been added.

“Three-colour”, “Desert three-colour”, “Desert two-colour” and “Winter two-colour” camouflages for all Soviet ground vehicles have been added.

“El Alamein” and “North African two-colour” camouflages have been added for all british ground vehicles.

Wace

Just for you to know that latest patch removed tier limitations in matchmaking, leaving only BR.

Just to explain: it was impossible before for ZSU-37 and KV-1 (as top setup vehicles) to meet in battle, as one of them is Rank IV and the other Rank II, regardless of actual BR that is pretty close. Now rank limitation is removed, and that adds fighting chance to late ugly ducklings.

More at the link.

Wace

1.61 is going up today. I'll post the full patchnote as soon as it appears.

Ground Vehicles

• Т-62
  • Sturmpanzer IV
  • M60A1
  • M4A5
  • КV-220
  • "Grant" Mk.I
Aircraft

• P-47-N15
  • Ki-100
  • He 111H-6
  • F7F-3 "Tigercat"
  • Fw 189 "Uhu"
Crew Reinforcements

The latest War Thunder mechanic – Reinforcement. You will be able to draft a new crew member on the battlefield

+ lots of other stuff

DMTripper

Wow seems like gaf don't really dig this game.

OP I used to play on ps4 a lot and now on PC. I still like the game but I've spent all the money I'm going to now. I only fly planes in RB and still have a very good time.

Jets are no fun in my opinion so you'll find me in tier 3 or 4 flying griffon spitfire or the cannon cat. Tier 2 can also be a lot of fun. I feel people get so hung up on tier 5 but like I said imo the real fun is in the lower tiers.

Nice to see the thread and great job with it. See you in the skies maybe 😄

grmlin

As someone who loves World of Warships I'm really interested in this one. But it will be a while before I can play it for myself, so I'll have to wait.

Stopped playing WT tanks a while ago, I could not get over the high tier gameplay.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
I got excited when they announced naval battles...

But then my excitement plummeted when I found out it was only going to be PT boats.

Literally War Thunder Coast Guard Edition.

grmlin

Wait what? Small boats is all we get? I somewhat thought that's just the beginning and cruisers, battleships will come too. No?

Wace

Literally War Thunder Coast Guard Edition.

Wait what? Small boats is all we get? I somewhat thought that's just the beginning and cruisers, battleships will come too. No?

http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/topic/326775-large-ship-naval-battles-some-clarification/

For TLDRs:

- In WT's gameplay we cannot see how to fit big ships without compromising everything we stand for;
- It's a very first part of the test, we didn't make any final decisions yets;
- Provide feedback and ideas, we're listening.
-
SOVIET BIAS, MWAHAHAHA

14709497778800.thumb.jpg.021c8c715fca990b57ac7556de016b8f.jpg

They were incredibly stupid to draw it out so long if its only small ships.

However in the context of the game it makes sense, you are still technically at the same scale as the tanks or aircraft.

grmlin

Interested to see how the gameplay of ships turns out. If it's basically the same as in tanks but on water I'm out I think.

Wace

Looking through fleet presentation, one short slide on "bigger ships" issue: larger-than-destroyers might be added later, depending on closed beta results, most probably in some differrent gameplay mode, not the usual model (equal team ~10x10 deathmatch).

Update: Thing of importance: all of the nations will get fleet at once. Approximately 30 ships will be available. All of the nations.

Update: PT-109 gameplay looks... as expected. I'm mostly interested in "launch all torpedoes at once" button, as it might mean something similar is coming for bombers. Operating multiple guns works similarly to bombers' defenses or multi-turret tanks.

Update: There will be "zone capturing", most probably similar to tanks. Not said out loud, but very heavily implied.

Update: 1124 is what it was advertised: floating T-34. Way, way slower than PT boat, so I don't see how can it evade direct torpedo from the sides. On the other hand it has some armor. Interesting part - once again, relevant to bombers - is a number of idle sailors (9 to my count) sitting in the hull. I dare to assume they'll be able to replace killed crewmen, but, opposed to tanks, without compromising other stations.

Update: British boat announced: Fairmile D, 29 men crew, lots of guns (gunboat as it is). And it had DEPTH CHARGES! Submarines confirmed?

Will update if anything of significance appears.

grmlin

watched some gameplay from a stream in really shitty quality Phly uploaded to his channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMskBfE9LXU

Water looks good, and, as it's "realistic", it looks all way more real then World of Warships, that is nothing like that.
I can see now, too, why bigger ships will be hard to implement, as they will be insanely slow in comparison to these small boats.

Not sure if that will be fun though. I don't care for sizes and proportions in WoWs, as it's fun as it is.

Kinda thinking ships shouldn't be a separate without bigger ships and more to do.
Just seems like it could get old extremely quick.

On the other hand if you could be PT boats in airmaps with water it could be pretty fun.
Especially if they give the ships lower visibility, add more waterside enemies and maybe move a base or two within attack range of the water.

Wace

On the other hand if you could be PT boats in airmaps with water it could be pretty fun.

The only significant problem I see here is that, as broadcaster repeated many-many times, Elco PT (as an example) is mostly made of plywood, and big part of the crew is out in the open. It means to me that any self-respecting fighter, including biplane reserves for most of the countries, can rain death and destruction on both the boat and the unprotected crew.

Well, I'll wait for CBT to make any kind of final judgement. They sold ships to me when I saw the shockwave on the water, displaying shot from 76mm.

You know what would be cool for ships? Smokescreens. We've asked that for tanks (and even use artillery as the improvisational cover), but here it'll be essential if introduced.

The only significant problem I see here is that, as broadcaster repeated many-many times, Elco PT (as an example) is mostly made of plywood, and big part of the crew is out in the open. It means to me that any self-respecting fighter, including biplane reserves for most of the countries, can rain death and destruction on both the boat and the unprotected crew.

Well, I'll wait for CBT to make any kind of final judgement. They sold ships to me when I saw the shockwave on the water, displaying shot from 76mm.

You know what would be cool for ships? Smokescreens. We've asked that for tanks (and even use artillery as the improvisational cover), but here it'll be essential if introduced.
You could have the visibility on them so low they are harder to spot than tanks/AA etc.
Essentially a stealth vehicle(maybe name and radar icon only visible to players in very close range)

In return they are relatively low in firepower and easy to kill once spotted.

I can picture that one map that is like sunset with rivers running through the mountains that has docks a base,
Picking a PT boat cruising up that river and shooting the base from the water while a full air war is overhead.

Wace

You could have the visibility on them so low they are harder to spot than tanks/AA etc.
Essentially a stealth vehicle(maybe name and radar icon only visible to players in very close range)

I didn't manage to find proper screenshot, but on all the missions I flew with planes vs. small boats (Crater, Peleliu, etc.) they're always easily detectable by the trail. So, to be stealthy they'll need to be slow, and, yes, preferrably in the rivers/channels. Open water and "high" speed will make them preferrable target for fighter planes. Of course they can try to fight back... and that would be the death sentence on the open water as well, as it immediately displays their location for anyone with a gun.

On the other hand, with the way players play, I can't imagine a larger-than-PT-ship that PT can't destroy launching 4 torpedoes to the side at point-blank range. If you remember how bombers demolished tanks before mandatory timer was introduced you'll see what I mean.

Torpedo mechanics will define a lot in the ships, I think. Historically they weren't as reliable as games make them look, so, I wonder if torpedoes will remain laser-accurate as they are now, ignoring the waves and hitting ships regardless of their draft.

Edit: just read on about Soviet G-5 PT boats (I suspect that's the one that'll be introduced either today or later, it's classic), and learned that they were having fighter cover during their raids. For the exact reason of being extremely vulnerable to enemy airplanes. :)

Wace

Got some dev answers and players impressions (arcade, in Russian). Here's the gist:

- Japan and Germany have at least one torpedo boat each, playable now;
- torpedoes and depth charges don't have depth/delay settings yet, but in the future they re coming for sure;
- no torpedo sights yet;
- torpedo won't detonate if launched closer that 50m to target;
- torpedoes are marked in AB, but rather close, so evasion isn't very easy as well;
- killcam will be there;
- repair system is similar to tanks;
- engines are separate modules, so you can drive on one (remaining) engine;
- DM's as usual except for buyoancy, that is similar to fuel loss in aircraft - endgame depending on the size of the leak;
- you can beach your leaking ship and keep playing;
- vertical targeting is automatic, regardless of number/type of guns (angle is set automatically, you just need to set crosshairs on the enemy), horizontal is up to you (as always);
- towing is not there yet, but promised;
- "capture the flag" is there, nothing on other missions yet;
- self-targeting acoustic torpedoes - not yet, but possible.

Phew. Will keep you posted.

CTF could definitely be fun with boats depending on the maps.

Edit: Honestly for me if they ever changed their mind about infantry i'd probably never even think about a Battlefield again.

Wace

Ok, here we go. The Japanese boat reveal. Since playtesters mentioned torpedoes I would bet on T series, but let's hope for destroyer...

And it's Type 11 PT-15. Not bad. Torpedo boat, but after-war, big and fast. 2x40mm autocannons, 34 crew, 4 torpedo tubes, over 40 knots top speed.

pt15_1280x1024_logo_com_bb6463d9917a001ddb81261e716b1ecc.jpg

More

Quick dev Q&A:

- gunboats - yes, monitors - depends on your definition, but generally yes;
- river battles - thinking, yes, most likely, on big rivers (e.g. Amur);
- submarines - no, NO, not planned at this moment, (but never say never);
- mines WILL BE THERE (not clear if players can plant them or just a part of the map), explodable by cannons;
- boats vs. planes - don't underestimate the speed and AA guns, our tests show that PT boats are NOT an easy target;
- smoke screens - they are planned and, actually, in the testing right now, depends on if software optimization will be good;
- weather - yes, storms, waves of different sizes, etc;
- any plans for air vs. ground vs. sea modes - yes, of course, no promises on delivery time;
- CBT starts how? - events battle with dev-defined lineups (no research tree), no modules research, just about 30 ships from all the nations. artillery, torpedo, patrol, submarine chasers;
- DM clarification: less than 3 sailors = game over;
- ramming - right now no damage is done on collision, but it's possible to capsize another (especially smaller) ship and sink it. most probably subject to change.

Wace

Lord, i will stick to the planes when PSVR hits.

While there are talks about supporting PSVR, it was never ever mentioned that it'll be implemented fully. What I mean is that WT isn't something that can run 90fps and keep the same graphics/performance as it does now on PS4.

So I hope that PSVR will be supported fully with simplified graphics, but at the same time I fear that they can go SW Batllefront way, releasing specific gameplay/missions for PSVR only.

Wace

German boat is S204, part of S100-series.3x20mm + 1x37mm + 2 torpedo tubes.

news_s100_com_6a7a85280a2af52b090006c904664537.jpg

More info

Ok, first gameplay watching impressions:

- map (arctic sea) was pretty cool. Lighthouse in the middle, capture zone + 2 icebergs protecting spawns. Hope for larger maps though.
- boats take a LOT of damage to be destroyed with guns, torpedoes are easily evasible;
- guns are fast, so even bad targeting still causes a lot of damage.

Basically reminds Tier-I tanks now: fast fun. I have no idea how this will be playable in sim mode. Feel free to watch for yourself in twitch archives.

EDIT: After rewatching... Similar to heavy planes in a sense that it's very rare when you're one-shotted. Similar to tanks in a way that once you've entered combat there's no way to get out of it until you or opposition dies. I really hope for something else as well, as this looks like the stupidest game mode ever.

BTW, just flew the Naval Base map - it's the perfect map for all the forces. Tanks, planes, ships - everything's there already.

Top Bottom