• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

Wace

Bloody German catz...

sdkfz_234_2_02_1280h720_e232c6f4ae464b81949d405dc3f47f48.jpg

Sd.Kfz 234/2 aka Puma

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I unlocked the​ Sturmpanzer last night; wow, that thing has some arc to it. It doesn't so much fire rounds as lob them.

Wace

I unlocked the​ Sturmpanzer last night; wow, that thing has some arc to it. It doesn't so much fire rounds as lob them.

Japanese prem - Type 97 Chi-Ha Kai 12 cm Short Gun - is pretty much the same. It's actually rather effective in Arcade, where targeting assistance allows for precise shooting. They both have powerful shells, and most of the opposition doesn't have good top-side armor. While normal guns target commander's observation turret (whatever it's called in English? the uplifted hatch with slits for 360-degrees observation) that usually is the first part to become visible from behind the obstacle, hoping to get successful ricochet to the insides, "lobbers" can target wherever, knowing that their shells would still do considerable damage.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Japanese prem - Type 97 Chi-Ha Kai 12 cm Short Gun - is pretty much the same. It's actually rather effective in Arcade, where targeting assistance allows for precise shooting. They both have powerful shells, and most of the opposition doesn't have good top-side armor. While normal guns target commander's observation turret (whatever it's called in English? the uplifted hatch with slits for 360-degrees observation) that usually is the first part to become visible from behind the obstacle, hoping to get successful ricochet to the insides, "lobbers" can target wherever, knowing that their shells would still do considerable damage.

I think we call it the cupola. And yeah, I can see some definite advantages to the arc.

I'll look into that premium; I've not paid for any vehicles in WT so I'm tempted to buy at least one. I'm not interested enough in the planes to go for those though.

Wace

I'll look into that premium; I've not paid for any vehicles in WT so I'm tempted to buy at least one. I'm not interested enough in the planes to go for those though.

I feel better with planes myself, but out of the tank premiums I've collected over the years, the aforementioned Japanese shortgun is one of the best - gameplay-wise. The other fun premium vehicles are CMK and T-35 for Soviets (pretty much the same, actually). Haven't played much for other nations tanks, so can't really discuss them, but all the other premiums I've tried are - as promised by devs - just a bit different versions of the same machines with all the modules installed from the start and better money/research modificators.

Wace

SMOKES!
Tank PvE

Tanks
USSR
  • Object 268
  • Т-55А
USA
  • М60А2
  • Т95Е1
UK
  • Vickers Mk.1
  • Churchill Mk.I
  • Chieftain Mk.5
Japan
  • Chi-To Late
Germany
  • Sd.Kfz. 234/2

Planes
USA
  • PB4Y-2 Privateer
  • Galer's F3F-2
Germany
  • Flegel's Bf.109A
ITALY
  • CR.32
  • CR.32 bis
  • CR.32 quater
  • CR.42
  • Marcolin's CR.42 CN
  • G.50 serie 2
  • G.50AS serie 7
  • C.200 serie 3
  • C.200 serie 7
  • Ba.65 (K.14) L
  • BR.20 DR
  • C.202 serie 7
  • C.202EC
  • C.205 serie 1
  • C.205 serie 3
  • C.205N2
  • Breda 88 (P.XI)
  • S.M.79 serie 1
  • S.M.79 serie 8
  • S.M.79AS
  • S.M.79 bis/T.M
  • S.M.79B
  • G.55 pre-serie 0
  • G.55 serie 1
  • G.55S
  • G.56
  • Z.1007 bis serie 3
  • Z.1007 bis serie 5
  • P.108A serie 2
  • P.108B serie 1
  • P.108B serie 2
  • Bf 109 G-14/AS
  • G.91 pre-serie
  • G.91R/1
  • F-84G-21-RE

Wace

Ships play WAYS better than before. Destroyers rock! New UI provides a lot of info, and shooting for over 5km is incredibly satisfying (when you hit). Torpedo boats are holding up as well, and will be formidable opponents as soon as the promised smokescreen arrive. Sorry for the screenshots quality, it's the best I can produce in current setup

shot2017.06.1120.22.17hues.jpg

shot2017.06.1120.22.2wkubj.jpg

shot2017.06.1120.30.27bugz.jpg

shot2017.06.1120.33.1mtu5l.jpg

PS: Now I know that Tribal-type destroyers stored ammuniton very close to the nose of the ship, and that makes her easy target when it's head-on course. Heh-heh-heh.

Wace

Re-posting here from screenshots thread. New range-defining system is interesting though raw at a time being. Taking out destroyer with torpedo boat is immensely satisfying (and fucking hard). Still waiting for smokes. Shooting over the iceberg and delivering critical hits - also cool and hard. Airplanes with torpedoes redeemed as well.

I think they're moving in the right direction, putting those Crossout money to the good use.

Shots from vanilla PS4.

warthunder_2017070120qpbxx.png

warthunder_2017070120n8x90.png

warthunder_20170701206zyii.png

warthunder_20170701208abl6.png

Wace

And now for something really interesting.

WT, as usual, attends gamescom, and, as usual, reveals the most interesting things there.

So, without much further ado:

news_vi_rank_eng_ecc55bda69a112efec004af9f352165e.jpg

Update 1.71 “New E.R.A.”: new aircrafts and vehicles, new maps, composite and reactive armor, etc, etc, etc.

22, 23 and 24th of August you can watch stream-reveal here at 14:00 GMT:
https://www.twitch.tv/phlydaily

Wace

...and we're on a roll here.

Happy 5th Birthday, dear WT!

Also, French aviation is rolling out as we speak.

Yay!

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
https://wccftech.com/war-thunder-xbox-one-crossplay-pc/

The announcement of War Thunder’s Xbox One release included the following quote from your CEO:
[…] we have been working toward bringing its crossplay experience to them. We are thrilled to announce that we have reached an agreement with Microsoft to bring War Thunder to Xbox One and Xbox One X.

Indeed, we remembera statement from March 2014 where he said that Microsoft didn’t allow cross-play and that was a deal breaker for the release of War Thunder on their console. Does that mean this hurdle has been overcome and War Thunder will indeed feature crossplay functionality on Xbox One when it releases?
Yes, Microsoft have changed their policy on crossplay. There are still a lot of hurdles/different limitations (mostly about social interactions between players), but crossplay gameplay is now possible (Xbox One + PC, PlayStation 4 + PC; that’s entirely not Microsoft related, Sony currently not allows playing with other consoles).​

You’vesaid that the game already runs at more than 30fps on Xbox One X while at native 4K resolution. Does that mean there’s a chance it might reach 60fps? If not, do you plan to cap the frame rate at 30 or will it stay uncapped in the final game?
We plan to achieve 60 fps or 30 fps with higher graphical settings (as an option) on Xbox One X later this year, with one of the upcoming engine updates. At launch we will be 30 fps, I guess, uncapped.​
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Dagor Engine 5.0 — a new version of the game engine brings War Thunder improved graphics and effects.

• New landscape creation technology for ground vehicle locations
  • New algorithms of landscape texturing and detalization
  • Realistic mud and puddles
  • New anti-aliasing technology (Variance Clipping TAA)
  • Contact shadows and shadows on effects
  • Realistic rain effects
  • Layered fog and mist effects
Other graphical improvements:

• Dynamic clouds and sun
  • The effects of the bullets/shells hitting the water, ground and other objects has been updated.
  • The traces of HE shells impacting the ground with .50 calibre and higher has been improved.
  • The algorithm for the postFX “Polynom” has been changed. The maximum brightness when using this post-effect has been limited to 2 times the original.

Other than the enhanced resolution, will War Thunder for the Xbox One X feature enhanced texture quality and/or other graphics settings improvements over the PS4 Pro?
There will be some enhancements in graphical quality (such as shadow quality, anti-aliasing quality, etc). Texture resolutions will be the same.​

Last edited:
Top Bottom